Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado

Go down 
+26
Markus
Birdsage
George
landrover
Arctinus
Rakel
Kikimalou
Bonnie
bmathison1972
lucky luke
Bloodrayne
Tiermann
costicuba
SerAndrew
Duck-Anch-Amun
Ana
Saarlooswolfhound
Taos
Pardofelis
Advicot
Caracal
spacelab
Roger
widukind
SUSANNE
RtasVadumee
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado   Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado - Page 2 EmptyThu May 14, 2020 10:05 am

I'll be adding the Safari Arctic hare to my shelves to go with the Papo figure. I can't stand having lonely animals of a species (even though over 100 species in my collection only have 1 figure representing them)

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado   Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado - Page 2 EmptyThu May 14, 2020 10:42 am

Thanks a lot Rtas, then I will pass on the Papo dromedary that is in the stationery next to my home, and wait until a Schleich one appear in some visit of the shops of my city. Will do the same for the seal, thanks for offering but it's a very easy to get figure and I always can order it online if I don't find it in local stationeries, but I will wait to find it in local shops.
About the albatross, I can't understand the reasons of substitute the CollectA one by another that is not only a different species, but a different genus too. It would be like to substitute a bison by a springbok Razz

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado   Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado - Page 2 EmptyThu May 14, 2020 5:43 pm

cheers cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado   Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado - Page 2 EmptyThu May 14, 2020 6:48 pm

Pardofelis wrote:
Thanks a lot Rtas, then I will pass on the Papo dromedary that is in the stationery next to my home, and wait until a Schleich one appear in some visit of the shops of my city. Will do the same for the seal, thanks for offering but it's a very easy to get figure and I always can order it online if I don't find it in local stationeries, but I will wait to find it in local shops.
About the albatross, I can't understand the reasons of substitute the CollectA one by another that is not only a different species, but a different genus too. It would be like to substitute a bison by a springbok Razz

It is tagged as a wandering albatross too : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] scratch
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado   Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado - Page 2 EmptyThu May 14, 2020 7:33 pm

RtasVadumee wrote:
Pardofelis wrote:

It is tagged as a wandering albatross too : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] scratch

I think Isidro is refferring to the Papo albatross as a replacement to the CollectA albatross.
Safari's model is actually not marketed to the species level but as a great albatross, it is the common name used to all species belonging to Diomedea, genus. Wandering albatross is just one of these species and the decision to list at the wiki as that particular species is from editor's responsibility. Wink However, if someone finds good evidences that it is another species of great albatross, it can always be changed.

Country/State : Luxembourg

PostSubject: Re: Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado   Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado - Page 2 EmptyThu May 14, 2020 8:04 pm

Roger wrote:
RtasVadumee wrote:
Pardofelis wrote:

I think Isidro is refferring to the Papo albatross as a replacement to the CollectA albatross.
Safari's model is actually not marketed to the species level but as a great albatross, it is the common name used to all species belonging to Diomedea, genus. Wandering albatross is just one of these species and the decision to list at the wiki as that particular species is from editor's responsibility. Wink However, if someone finds good evidences that it is another species of great albatross, it can always be changed.

I think that some collectors use the Safari Albatros as waved albatross (Phoebastria irrorata), also known as Galapagos albatross. As the figurine has blue feets, it was [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] or [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (I really don´t remember it) who said it could be used that way, too.
Back to top Go down
RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee

PostSubject: Re: Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado   Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado - Page 2 EmptyThu May 14, 2020 10:20 pm

Roger wrote:
RtasVadumee wrote:
Pardofelis wrote:

I don't plan to replace my CollectA albatross by the Papo. The Papo is just here as a complementary species and my CollectA is going to be replaced by the Safari.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado   Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado - Page 2 EmptyFri May 15, 2020 1:10 am

Duck-Anch-Amun wrote:
Roger wrote:
RtasVadumee wrote:
Pardofelis wrote:

I think that some collectors use the Safari Albatros as waved albatross (Phoebastria irrorata), also known as Galapagos albatross. As the figurine has blue feets, it was [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] or [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (I really don´t remember it) who said it could be used that way, too.

Yes, I remember that. Though, in that case, it is not a great albatross anymore and Safari Ltd is marketing it wrongly. Something interesting to clear up.

Benjamin, yes, now I remember you telling it about replacing the large albatrosses.

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado   Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado - Page 2 EmptyFri May 15, 2020 10:40 am

RtasVadumee wrote:
Pardofelis wrote:

Then it must go to the "Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki" thread. It's so evidently a Galapagos albatross, Phoebastria irrorata!

Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado   Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado - Page 2 EmptyFri May 15, 2020 10:42 am

Roger wrote:

No, Roger, Rtas never talked about substituting CollectA (wandering) by Papo (black-browed), but he talked about substituting by Safari's (Galapagos).

Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado   Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado - Page 2 EmptyFri May 15, 2020 10:44 am

Duck-Anch-Amun wrote:

I even didn't noticed the feet colour, that strenght the already sure identification. I just look at the head, that is so extremely evidently from a Galapagos albatross. Unmistakable. And if it have grey feet, even more reasons for don't doubt in the ID as Phoebastria irrorata.

Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

PostSubject: Re: Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado   Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado - Page 2 EmptyFri May 15, 2020 2:54 pm

The Safari is going on my wish list now

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado   Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado - Page 2 EmptyFri May 15, 2020 6:15 pm

Pardofelis wrote:
Duck-Anch-Amun wrote:

I even didn't noticed the feet colour, that strenght the already sure identification. I just look at the head, that is so extremely evidently from a Galapagos albatross. Unmistakable. And if it have grey feet, even more reasons for don't doubt in the ID as Phoebastria irrorata.

At least you are the third identifying it as a Galapagos albatross, even if Safari do not identifies it like that as you can see here and even if the white color is more of a giant albatross than a Galápagos, I will move it to the suggested species page.
It is a pity that you are not editing, the code of the wiki is very obvious as your identifications and you could surely save me from taking so long to identify some species as it happened, unsuccessfully, with the New-Ray cormorant. Maybe you can find out it in a second.

RtasVadumee

PostSubject: Re: Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado   Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado - Page 2 EmptyFri May 15, 2020 7:35 pm

In my opinion, it doesn't look like a Galapagos albatross AT ALL, I mean, the wings and body's pattern matches a wandering albatross and not the dark brownish plumage of a Galapagos albatross. It might be an inaccurate "hybrid" toy figure as it happens with the Schleich flamingo but identifying it as a perfectly accurate Galapagos seems absolutely excessive to me.

I mean, even Safari identified it as Diomedea ! I think you guys are just going delirious with this one, just like you did with the Papo baby croc...
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

PostSubject: Re: Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado   Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado - Page 2 EmptyFri May 15, 2020 9:12 pm

Right to put you all out your misery, I'm emailing Safari

Back to top Go down
Duck-Anch-Amun

Country/State : Luxembourg

PostSubject: Re: Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado   Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado - Page 2 EmptyFri May 15, 2020 10:10 pm

Advicot wrote:

As Safari already identified the animal on their homepage, I don´t think this is necessary as we know what they wanted to present. But as often, we can make our own choice and after Pardofelis thoughts, I´m using the safari as galapagos albatross, too cheers
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado   Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado - Page 2 EmptyFri May 15, 2020 10:25 pm

Advicot wrote:

That's an interesting initiative but, if you asked it simple and directly, they will tell you it is a giant albatross. It has the plumage colors of the wandering albatross species complex and beak+feet colors of the Galápagos albatross. It turns the figures slightly less interesting to me and I really hope we are missing something. If I owned all three, I'd surely use it also as a Galápagos because for a wandering we have the CollectA's.

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado   Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado - Page 2 EmptySat May 16, 2020 8:29 am

Oh yes, you're right! The wing colour is not correct for a Galapagos. However, the head shape, eyes and bill proportion and colour, are soooo obvious from a Galapagos albatros! Plus it have the grey feet. Then, we only can conclude that this is a chimaera: an albatross with head and feet of Galapagos albatross and wings and back from Wandering albatross! Now I see why there are doubts about it. I was so fixed with the head that I didn't noticed the colour of wings...

The identification of Safari as Diomedea is because until recently all albatross were included in genus Diomedea. Including the Galapagos albatross of course.

P. D. New Ray cormorant it's clearly Phalacrocorax gaimardi. Not the most realistic approximation possible to the species, but is the only one that matches.

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado   Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado - Page 2 EmptySat May 16, 2020 5:32 pm

Pardofelis wrote:
Oh yes, you're right! The wing colour is not correct for a Galapagos. However, the head shape, eyes and bill proportion and colour, are soooo obvious from a Galapagos albatros! Plus it have the grey feet. Then, we only can conclude that this is a chimaera: an albatross with head and feet of Galapagos albatross and wings and back from Wandering albatross! Now I see why there are doubts about it. I was so fixed with the head that I didn't noticed the colour of wings...

The identification of Safari as Diomedea is because until recently all albatross were included in genus Diomedea. Including the Galapagos albatross of course.

P. D. New Ray cormorant it's clearly Phalacrocorax gaimardi. Not the most realistic approximation possible to the species, but is the only one that matches.

Thanks Isidro with the identification of the cormorant. It was also the closest I could achieve but as New-Ray often gives bright colors to bird legs, I was not as confident as you. I already listed it on TAW according to your identification.
Actually, some authorities still put the Galápagos albatross on Diomedea genus. The poor bird will probably be moved to unidentified albatross... Laughing

Advicot

PostSubject: Re: Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado   Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado - Page 2 EmptySat May 16, 2020 6:16 pm

According to Safari it's a wandering albatross

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado   Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado - Page 2 EmptySat May 16, 2020 8:22 pm

Advicot wrote:
According to Safari it's a wandering albatross

Thanks Adam for your effort. When a figure is dubious, it is prudent that we choose the most common species. It is not only a question of being able of identifying a species but also of trying to guess what the brand really wanted to do. Wandering albatrosses are the most common in toy shape because they are the species with the widest wingspan what turns them really impressive and both pose and marketing of the brand pointed to it. That's the reason why the wandering albatross identification on TAW prevailed. If you haven't thanked Safari yet, you could suggest them to use a little pink on beak and feet of the figure. Though, it is characteristic from Safari that they do not manage always very well with blended colours. For instance, the most common yellowish pink beak of the animal is not easy to get and the brand tends to choose between a pink or a yellow and not exactly a mix between both.

Advicot

PostSubject: Re: Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado   Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado - Page 2 EmptySat May 16, 2020 10:25 pm

Yeah I'll suggest that and pass your improvements on :)

Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado   Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado - Page 2 EmptySun May 17, 2020 6:58 am

Painting the bill (and feet) of a Galapagos albatross that already have a wandering albatross paintjob in the wings, and that is marketed as a wandering albatross, will not make the figure a wandering albatross unless it's also reshaped, resculpted in the head, making a shorter bill, bigger and rounder head and smaller eyes Razz My suggestion would be instead to repaint the wings as a Galapagos albatross and then it would be fully accurate as one :)

Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

PostSubject: Re: Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado   Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado - Page 2 EmptySun May 17, 2020 11:04 am

I'll pass it on Isidro :)

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado   Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado - Page 2 EmptySun May 17, 2020 11:12 am

Pardofelis wrote:
Painting the bill (and feet) of a Galapagos albatross that already have a wandering albatross paintjob in the wings, and that is marketed as a wandering albatross, will not make the figure a wandering albatross unless it's also reshaped, resculpted in the head, making a shorter bill, bigger and rounder head and smaller eyes Razz My suggestion would be instead to repaint the wings as a Galapagos albatross and then it would be fully accurate as one :)

Yes, who needs a remended wandering albatross when we already have the CollectA figure? I'd surely would love to see the Safari model repainted as a Galapagos but I really doubt a lot they will accept that suggestion. Aren't you thinking in doing it yourself with your brushes?

PostSubject: Re: Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado   Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Rtas' additions - Birthday gift from El Desperado
Page 2 of 15Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next