Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos

Go down 
+2
halichoeres
Gecko08
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Gecko08

Gecko08

Country/State : United States

Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos Empty
PostSubject: Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos   Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos EmptyTue Aug 04, 2020 3:46 am

After obtaining the Favorite collection Cambrian mini model set, I decided to do something fun with them. I created a custom diorama out of a plastic tub.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Gecko08

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos   Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos EmptyTue Aug 04, 2020 3:48 am

I used a few Charniodiscus and Vauxia models from Safari Ltd. And I used a custom Alalcolmenaeus.

Custom Alalcolmenaeus

I’m usually more scale-sensitive but sense all the figures (except for the two 1:10 Anomalocaris) in the set were life size, I just put them together for the sake of not wasting space. I’m planning on obtaining some more Charniodiscus and Vauxia from Safari and using the discontinued toob to make a second diorama.
Back to top Go down
halichoeres

halichoeres

Country/State : Illinois, USA

PostSubject: Re: Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos   Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos EmptyTue Aug 04, 2020 7:30 am

Nice diorama. You might like to know that Charniodiscus was restricted to the Ediacaran, but those figures are a pretty good match for Thaumaptilon, which actually lived in the Cambrian, including in the Burgess Shale community that most of these other organisms also inhabited.

Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos   Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos EmptyTue Aug 04, 2020 9:22 am

Very nice use of a plastic tub, and great diorama

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Gecko08

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos   Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos EmptyTue Aug 04, 2020 2:20 pm

Thank you! And I will use a different flora (not the Charniodiscus and Vauxia) for the second diorama. I do aquariums so I probably have some artificial plants lying around that will do the job.

Back to top Go down
Gecko08

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos   Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos EmptyTue Aug 04, 2020 2:20 pm

halichoeres wrote:
Nice diorama. You might like to know that Charniodiscus was restricted to the Ediacaran, but those figures are a pretty good match for Thaumaptilon, which actually lived in the Cambrian, including in the Burgess Shale community that most of these other organisms also inhabited.

And thank you Halichoeres. That’s a very nice fact to know. But it’s strange how safari would include an Edicarian creature in their Cambrian tube. I wonder why they didn’t label it as Thaumaptilon.
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos   Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos EmptyWed Aug 05, 2020 2:23 am

Gecko08 wrote:
Thank you! And I will use a different flora (not the Charniodiscus and Vauxia) for the second diorama. I do aquariums so I probably have some artificial plants lying around that will do the job.

Love it! I've been wanting to get that Favorites set; you've helped convince me. I like how you have incorporated a substrate as well.

I have a Paleozoic diorama in the planning stage, and have repurposed some of my old aquarium deco/ bought some of the rather cheesy fake marine organisms made for aquariums to use in it. Quolmate here is the queen of the Paleozoic diorama; she has a thread showing items she has gotten for the purpose, and manufacturer. I will see if I can find it and edit it in here, it might be in the 'Show Us Your...' subforum.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Here is the thread I was thinking of, will see if I can find one of her dioramas. They are inspiring!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Here are some of her dioramas.
Back to top Go down
Gecko08

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos   Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos EmptyWed Aug 05, 2020 4:40 am

She does have great sets! I wish I had the ROM primeval predators set (mainly for the Peytoia or is it Laggania now?). I was thinking about getting some other aquarium scenery like the ones you showed me, but I decided to do that for the Ordovician and Silurian.

And here... you can get it now. Or just talk to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Gecko08

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos   Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos EmptyWed Aug 05, 2020 5:17 am

Second and last Cambrian Diorama. I made this one with the Safari Ltd toob.

The dueling Anomalocaris saron is a reference to Walking with Monsters.

Next let’s go over all the species seen in my Cambrian dioramas.
Back to top Go down
Gecko08

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos   Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos EmptyWed Aug 05, 2020 5:28 am

Diorama [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Olenoides, Vauxia, Pikaia, Hallucigenia, Anomalocaris canadensis, Wiwaxia, Thaumaptilon, Marrella, Alalcolmenaeus, Opabinia, and Canadaspis.

Diorama [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sanctacaris, Anomalocaris saron, Ottoia, Naraoia, Haikouichthys, Tricrepicephalus, and Sidneyia. I only used two custom figures and those are the Haikouichthys and Alalcolmenaeus.
Haikouichthys
Alalcolmenaeus
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos   Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos EmptyWed Aug 05, 2020 12:47 pm

Really cool!

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Gecko08

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos   Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos EmptyWed Aug 05, 2020 7:49 pm

Next up is the Ordovician, but I’ll have to get a Cameroceras toy. Do you have any recommendations?

Back to top Go down
halichoeres

halichoeres

PostSubject: Re: Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos   Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos EmptyWed Aug 05, 2020 7:50 pm

Colorata: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Gecko08

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos   Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos EmptyWed Aug 05, 2020 7:54 pm

I like the look of that figure. Sorry I sent you a private message about it but there’s something else in that message. But can I obtain those figures from Brett?

Back to top Go down
halichoeres

halichoeres

PostSubject: Re: Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos   Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos EmptyWed Aug 05, 2020 8:07 pm

Probably, yes. You'll probably have to buy the full set, but most of the figures in it are great, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Gecko08

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos   Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos EmptyWed Aug 05, 2020 10:23 pm

Okay, slight change of plans: I just ordered the Primeval Predators kit from ROM (I thought it was long discontinued but I accept being wrong). The checkout was kind of confusing and I “MIGHT” have ordered two. If I did order 2, then that would make quite the diorama. Speaking of dioramas, I will have to make a third diorama which will be smaller (depending on how many I just got) and use the species in the kit.

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos   Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos EmptyMon Aug 10, 2020 7:01 pm

cheers cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Gecko08

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos   Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos EmptyMon Aug 10, 2020 7:02 pm

Thank you for your support. I only ordered one because I had to order over the phone and it will be shipped with Wednesday.

Back to top Go down
Gecko08

Gecko08

PostSubject: Paleozoic Dioramas   Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos EmptySat Aug 15, 2020 10:10 pm

I’m renaming this topic (can I do that?) “Paleozoic Dioramas and Outdoor Photos” because I have made my last Cambrian diorama and that turned out great!
So this is my last Cambrian diorama made with the ROM Primeval Predators kit. It has a Pikaia, Peytoia, Wiwaxia, Olenoides, and Opabinia. The Opabinia regalis is posed outside of a burrow because he waiting for whatever that’s inside the burrow (maybe nothing) to come out. I emailed the ROM and she said that she would pass on my idea of more Primeval Predators sets.

But if you’re an admin, please rename this topic “Paleozoic Dioramas and Outdoor Photos” in case what I just did didn’t work. And wish me luck on other dioramas! I’m working on getting the Groovy Tube Arthropleura. Either way, I hope that things work out for the better with my miniature museum.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos   Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos EmptySun Aug 16, 2020 10:53 am

cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Gecko08

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos   Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos EmptySun Aug 16, 2020 3:46 pm

Now I just have to find some good Ordovician. A great Cameroceras figure is coming but it might come in a few weeks. In the meantime, I just have to find so Ordovician. Maybe an Orthoceras?

Back to top Go down
Gecko08

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos   Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos EmptyWed Aug 19, 2020 11:56 pm

So here are some diorama photos. I’ll do outdoor photos once the animals move onto land.
A Peytoia attacks an Olenoides trilobite.
Here is the Peytoia preforming the speculative behavior of digging through the sand. I

A pair of Wiwaxia flee from a fight between a Peytoia and an Olenoides.
A Wiwaxia joins some Tricrepicephalus and Sidneyia on a migration.
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos   Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos EmptyThu Aug 20, 2020 12:25 pm

very interesting and susprising species! cheers Applause
Back to top Go down
Gecko08

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos   Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos EmptyThu Aug 20, 2020 10:28 pm

I’m glad that all of you like my stuff. I’m currently working on negotiations with a person who makes a rare Hurdia victoria model. I hope that works out well.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos   Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos Empty

Back to top Go down

Paleozoic Dioramas & Outdoor Photos
Page 1 of 1