Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Battle of the Generations: Lineol and CollectA Hippopotamuses

Go down 
+5
SUSANNE
donny ong
costicuba
Advicot
Roger
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

Battle of the Generations: Lineol and CollectA Hippopotamuses Empty
PostSubject: Battle of the Generations: Lineol and CollectA Hippopotamuses   Battle of the Generations: Lineol and CollectA Hippopotamuses EmptySun Aug 09, 2020 10:29 pm

Hippopotami were always popular as toy figures across all generations.
Two species exist, the common hippopotamus, one of the largest land animals that is the species we think immediately when the word hippo is pronounced, but there is also the smaller pygmy hippopotamus much rarer in toy shape.

After the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] here I am confronting two remarkable representatives of their respective generations of toy replicas
The CollectA 88833 Common hippopotamus released in 2018 and the much older Lineol 652 IV generation Hippopotamus released in 1940 and retired in 1960.

Lineol figures representing large species are usually larger than their counterparts from major brands. This time is not an exception.
Nevertheless, the size difference is far from being extreme and despite being made of different materials, composition for Lineol and pvc for CollectA, their difference in weight is around 10% only.
I want to point here the great work of CollectA with the texture, it makes the figure feel like it is not made of plastic but as it was made of a nobler material.Only tusks are somewhat soft.

Common hippo's weight can reach 3,5 tones, really massive beasts. These models are also not light, the Lineol figure weighs 260 g while the CollectA model weighs 237g.

These animals, despite being herbivores, have the reputation of being the animals that kill more humans in Africa. Obviously it is wrong and we don't need to count all African civil wars to see easily that the animal that kills more humans in Africa and everywhere, it is the human himself.
Their characteristic large canines, known as tusks, are really deadly weapons, their bite is twice as strong asa lion's bite.
We can read everywhere that hippos can put a crocodile in two halves with a single bite. Fortunately, none of these models have an articulated jaw what means I'm safe. Wink
Interesting that CollectA's tusks are laterally flatenned as we see on smilodons.

They are also very territorial and it is common to see bull hippos fighting with their mouths wide open. Often cows also fight agressively to protect their calves.

No doubts these are two excellent models but contrarily to what happened with the Papo figure, the CollectA don't have any signs of being inspired in this Lineol veteran. Every single detail is different.
The finish quality is irreprochable on CollectA's model, from a very sophisticated painting to a very detailed sculpt. The level of detail in its mouth is absolutely impressive.
The Lineol is also a very realistic sculpt, with very good proportions and a design full of elegance. Lineol often provides poses with gentle expression, notice how rear legs are positioned or the more curved upwards head, both in a way that give more flow to the figure when compared with its modern rival.
We don't see this gracefullness often in CollectA although it can be seen among modern models, namely Papo or Mojö Fun sculpted by Anna Dobrowolska.
Wait, am I suggesting hippos are graceful creatures? If you think not, just check this very short Video of a hippo swiming! As they point on that video, their closest relatives are cetaceans so maybe no reason to be surprised.

Concluding, CollectA's is a superior model but Lineol's is still great and wins in majesty and it should keep the crown.
My thanks again to Yvette for giving me the chance of affording these old masterpieces and also thanks to Susanne for offering me this modern piece of art!

I hope you enjoy again, and I hope to continue with more Battles of the Generations! Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Lineol and CollectA Hippopotamuses   Battle of the Generations: Lineol and CollectA Hippopotamuses EmptySun Aug 09, 2020 11:00 pm

These two are both beautiful figures, but I'd say I prefer the modern CollectA.

I would be interested to see a hippo with an articulated jaw, and my preference of a hippo sculpt is one grazing as I find a grazing hippo more interesting in that pose

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
costicuba

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Lineol and CollectA Hippopotamuses   Battle of the Generations: Lineol and CollectA Hippopotamuses EmptyMon Aug 10, 2020 1:06 am

This is a wonderful and masterly made it topic Roger ! Applause Applause Applause
Thank you very much ! sunny

I love these two models very much. Like you, I also have the Lineol Hippo from Yvette Very Happy
Collecta made their Hippo in a very high level and it is one one the nicest wild life Collecta models in my opinion.
I also like very much the video of the swiming hippo Very Happy ... Watching it, I almost was expecting to see how the hippo is going out of the water ... and like real dolphin , to start making some flic flacs on the air Laughing

You are absolutely right , that the Papo hippo look`s very similar to the Lineol one ... also in size, they are the same :) Maybe a Battle between these two will be very interesting too :)

Last edited by costicuba on Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
donny ong

Country/State : indonesia

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Lineol and CollectA Hippopotamuses   Battle of the Generations: Lineol and CollectA Hippopotamuses EmptyMon Aug 10, 2020 4:35 am

Roger wrote:

These animals, despite being herbivores, have the reputation of being the animals that kill more humans in Africa. Obviously it is wrong and we don't need to count all African civil wars to see easily that the animal that kills more humans in Africa and everywhere, it is the human himself.

Sadly, so true.

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Lineol and CollectA Hippopotamuses   Battle of the Generations: Lineol and CollectA Hippopotamuses EmptyMon Aug 10, 2020 8:33 am

Fantastic cheers

Wonderful photos, wonderful models, wonderful comments cheers

Roger, as always your topic is full of information, wise thoughts, and great humour , - what would out forum be without this extremely unique crocodile ? Applause Very Happy Applause
As high-fives are strictly forbidden these days, I send you an elbow-high-one lol!

arafan

arafan

Country/State : Brazil

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Lineol and CollectA Hippopotamuses   Battle of the Generations: Lineol and CollectA Hippopotamuses EmptyMon Aug 10, 2020 10:18 am

That's a really interesting comparison of two models I was not really aware of. Collecta's model is really well done and maybe has replaced Papo with the best hippo. The Lionel is really charming and if it would have some more skin details and a better paintjob it would be definitely one of the best. I would love to see some comparison with Papo's too!
Thank you so much for sharing these pecitures and very informative words with us! Very Happy

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Lineol and CollectA Hippopotamuses   Battle of the Generations: Lineol and CollectA Hippopotamuses EmptyMon Aug 10, 2020 7:22 pm

It is interesting to see that there are not really big differences in the quality< of that old figures. Only the material is not so good after the years (sometimes).

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Lineol and CollectA Hippopotamuses   Battle of the Generations: Lineol and CollectA Hippopotamuses EmptyTue Aug 11, 2020 2:23 am

Thanks everyone for your kind words! For a long time our discussions ended with the word, Lineol did it better. Some current figures from major brands already have a level of realism that puts them to a superior level even when compared with the Lineol masterpieces.We are happy collectors these days.

costicuba wrote:

You are absolutely right , that the Papo hippo look`s very similar to the Lineol one ... also in size, they are the same :) Maybe a Battle between these two will be very interesting too :)

I agree, I have the Papo hippo for a long time already but it is not with me at the moment and I fear I will take a long time to see it again. Maybe someone with both figures could make a battle between these two graceful models?A detailed confrontation between this CollectA and Papo's could also be interesting.

As a little bonus, a picture showing the CollectA hippo, the Papo black rhino and Bullyland African elephant from 2002. Three different brands, all African animals, all giants! elephant

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

costicuba

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Lineol and CollectA Hippopotamuses   Battle of the Generations: Lineol and CollectA Hippopotamuses EmptyTue Aug 11, 2020 9:00 am

Thank you for this photo Roger. All 3 look`s very nice together :)

Maybe I can try to make some photos of the Collecta vs Papo and also Papo vs Lineol ..:)
Should I put them here.. or on other topic ?

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Lineol and CollectA Hippopotamuses   Battle of the Generations: Lineol and CollectA Hippopotamuses EmptyTue Aug 11, 2020 10:25 am

costicuba wrote:
Thank you for this photo Roger. All 3 look`s very nice together :)

Maybe I can try to make some photos of the Collecta vs Papo and also Papo vs Lineol ..:)
Should I put them here.. or on other topic ?

You're welcome, Kosta!
Papo vs CollectA surely deserves a new topic.
Papo vs Lineol do what you find better for you. If you put here, I just make a little change on the title of the topic. If you open your own topic, it will be fine either. Thanks also for offering your help to continue the hippos novel. Very Happy

costicuba

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Lineol and CollectA Hippopotamuses   Battle of the Generations: Lineol and CollectA Hippopotamuses EmptyThu Aug 13, 2020 7:17 am

Thank you Roger.
I think, that your topic is perfect like that and doesn`t need any changes.
So, I made a new one, with all 3 models. It is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] :)

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Lineol and CollectA Hippopotamuses   Battle of the Generations: Lineol and CollectA Hippopotamuses EmptyFri Aug 14, 2020 2:06 am

costicuba wrote:
Thank you Roger.
I think, that your topic is perfect like that and doesn`t need any changes.
So, I made a new one, with all 3 models. It is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] :)

Thanks Kosta! Perfect is really your topic with these superb pictures.
I am already planning an epic battle but it will take long once I don't have yet the figures but cross your fingers that everything will work nicely. Meanwhile I will try to think in something for my next chapter. scratch

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Lineol and CollectA Hippopotamuses   Battle of the Generations: Lineol and CollectA Hippopotamuses EmptyFri Aug 14, 2020 3:27 pm

very interesting comparison of 2 great replicas and very interesting informations! Thank you Rogério! cheers cheers Applause
Back to top Go down
costicuba

costicuba

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Lineol and CollectA Hippopotamuses   Battle of the Generations: Lineol and CollectA Hippopotamuses EmptySat Aug 15, 2020 3:27 am

Roger wrote:

I am already planning an epic battle but it will take long once I don't have yet the figures but cross your fingers that everything will work nicely. Meanwhile I will try to think in something for my next chapter. scratch

bounce bounce bounce

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Lineol and CollectA Hippopotamuses   Battle of the Generations: Lineol and CollectA Hippopotamuses EmptyWed Oct 13, 2021 8:50 pm

I missed that topic, it is very interresting just like Kosta one.

I made a macaque answer [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battle of the Generations: Lineol and CollectA Hippopotamuses   Battle of the Generations: Lineol and CollectA Hippopotamuses Empty

Back to top Go down

Battle of the Generations: Lineol and CollectA Hippopotamuses
Page 1 of 1