Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Coral species? 3/14/24

Go down 
+22
Tove
Joliezac
halichoeres
Jill
George
pipsxlch
Bonnie
Dutch Bear
Rakel
Birdsage
Kikimalou
Roger
Taos
endogenylove
Pardofelis
bmathison1972
landrover
Advicot
widukind
Duck-Anch-Amun
SUSANNE
Saarlooswolfhound
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

Coral species? 3/14/24 Empty
PostSubject: Coral species? 3/14/24   Coral species? 3/14/24 EmptyMon Sep 07, 2020 11:43 pm

I just found this model in a thrift store, any idea on a species? It is a large figure, any ideas? (I might repaint it so coloration is no object, guesses based on morphological features is preferred)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous

Last edited by Saarlooswolfhound on Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:21 am; edited 28 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Coral species? 3/14/24   Coral species? 3/14/24 EmptyTue Sep 08, 2020 8:28 am

My first thought was that it is a wolly monkey, because of the large head, but the tail is much too thin scratch

Duck-Anch-Amun

Country/State : Luxembourg

PostSubject: Re: Coral species? 3/14/24   Coral species? 3/14/24 EmptyTue Sep 08, 2020 11:03 am

I would say the species could be some sort of pavian or macaque. Maybe a pig-tailed macaque or a Barbary macaque?
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Coral species? 3/14/24   Coral species? 3/14/24 EmptyTue Sep 08, 2020 5:54 pm

Duck-Anch-Amun wrote:
I would say the species could be some sort of pavian or macaque. Maybe a pig-tailed macaque or a Barbary macaque?

I think also is a macaque.

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Coral species? 3/14/24   Coral species? 3/14/24 EmptyTue Sep 08, 2020 5:55 pm

Met too!

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Coral species? 3/14/24   Coral species? 3/14/24 EmptyTue Sep 08, 2020 6:08 pm

It is an interesting monkey. cheers cheers

Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Coral species? 3/14/24   Coral species? 3/14/24 EmptyWed Sep 09, 2020 4:21 am

My gut reaction was macaque as well. The tail is similar tk a pig-tailed macaque, but the face is wrong even for a juvenile.

Decided to add a few more for thoughts...
Red eyed tree frog?

Unknown seahorse...?

Perch/carp-like fish

Predatory fish?

Bullyland angelfish...? (I don't have much hope for this one, seems a littl fantastical paint scheme wise)

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Coral species? 3/14/24   Coral species? 3/14/24 EmptyWed Sep 09, 2020 4:29 am

the frog is certainly a simplified red-eyed tree frog. While I didn't comment earlier, I also thought the monkey was a Macaca. Can't help with the others (I struggle with fish, unless they clearly represent their intended species).
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Coral species? 3/14/24   Coral species? 3/14/24 EmptyWed Sep 09, 2020 9:08 am

Seahorse must be Hippocampus guttulatus. The only one that I know with so long filaments.

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Coral species? 3/14/24   Coral species? 3/14/24 EmptyWed Sep 09, 2020 9:45 am

I have that Bully fish with tag, and it has item no 67854 , which is Angel fish Very Happy

endogenylove

endogenylove

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Coral species? 3/14/24   Coral species? 3/14/24 EmptyWed Sep 09, 2020 3:28 pm

I believe that the angelfish is a very badly painted Flame Angelfish, as it is the only species I know of Thats even remotely close and is relatively popular in the aquarium trade and in public aquariums. The stripes are too few and horizontal instead of vertical, and there is no blue towards the back of the fish, but this is my best guess.

Advicot

PostSubject: Re: Coral species? 3/14/24   Coral species? 3/14/24 EmptyWed Sep 09, 2020 4:28 pm

The angelfish is a clarion, and the fish with yellow skin and a red eye looks like a pike but the species is hard to distinguish

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Duck-Anch-Amun

Country/State : Luxembourg

PostSubject: Re: Coral species? 3/14/24   Coral species? 3/14/24 EmptyWed Sep 09, 2020 5:50 pm

I had the same problem with the Angelfish. It´s a bid odd, as the other figurines from this series clearly represent an actual animal as this figurine seems to have more a fantasy paint.

As Adam and I discussed already, I use the figurine as clarion, too. Here you can see the discussion: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Coral species? 3/14/24   Coral species? 3/14/24 EmptyThu Sep 10, 2020 5:17 pm

Think like some others that the monkey is a macaque,maybe a Rhesus or longtailed.

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Coral species? 3/14/24   Coral species? 3/14/24 EmptyThu Sep 10, 2020 5:37 pm

Thank you all for your help! Each suggestion is useful and I will research them thoroughly. Thank you very much. :)

Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Coral species? 3/14/24   Coral species? 3/14/24 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 6:23 am

I picked this shark out of my randoms box the other day and it struck me immediately as some deeper ocean species of shark but I couldn't put a name on it... any suggestions? It is quite small, smaller than a safari toob model, maybe only a few centimeters/inch and half or so long.

I had donated this to a bath toy collection for my nieces and nephews when they visit but recently decided I wanted to keep it... any idea on a hybrid species name? Clearly someone... strayed... from regular suitors. Wink Perhaps a Tigerback? Or a Great White (orange) Whale?
Its for SURE going on my shelves with my whales.  Razz

Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Coral species? 3/14/24   Coral species? 3/14/24 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 7:01 am

Woah, interesting mutation haha. I think it's a Megaptera aurantiaca and the dorsal fin has been grafted by some mad scientist.

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Coral species? 3/14/24   Coral species? 3/14/24 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 4:13 pm

It is such a strange effort... to graft on a dorsal fin to a whale, I wonder why they felt the need to? I have a hard time believing they producer/"artist" mistook a humpback whale for a shark.

As for the shark model. Maybe some sort of dogfish? Or a lantern shark?

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Coral species? 3/14/24   Coral species? 3/14/24 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 5:55 pm

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
It is such a strange effort... to graft on a dorsal fin to a whale, I wonder why they felt the need to? I have a hard time believing they producer/"artist" mistook a humpback whale for a shark.

As for the shark model. Maybe some sort of dogfish? Or a lantern shark?

Maybe the best match common gulper shark

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Coral species? 3/14/24   Coral species? 3/14/24 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2021 12:08 am

Perhaps! I'm just gonna have to brush up on these small shak species because I know it resembles something...

Here is a mystery ray. Initial impressions give Chap Mei vibes but, pictured alongside the Chapmei black spotted ray you can see its not. Only marked as made in china and FCR-2011 LOT NC:G3. Brand? Species?

Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

PostSubject: Re: Coral species? 3/14/24   Coral species? 3/14/24 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2021 10:10 am

Those weird jumble of letters and numbers makes me think a ToyMajor figure, because I have a shark and dolphin like this

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Coral species? 3/14/24   Coral species? 3/14/24 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2021 1:28 pm

@endogenlove posted [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] a ray similar to yours, Paige. The lot number is different what is normal and the year is also different but maybe one of you read 7 instead of 1 or the other way round.
... and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] posted a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The brand is FCR or it is an abreviation for a brand name with these letters.
Nayab, for example, on blisters shows the NYB abreviation.

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Coral species? 3/14/24   Coral species? 3/14/24 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2021 5:34 pm

Interesting info Roger! FCR must be an abbreviation for some chinese brand. It's nice little model, mostly the photos are to show that its not very similar to the chap mei figure after all.

Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Coral species? 3/14/24   Coral species? 3/14/24 EmptyFri Feb 05, 2021 7:00 am

Species? What does W. N. stand for?

Species?

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Coral species? 3/14/24   Coral species? 3/14/24 EmptyFri Feb 05, 2021 7:41 am

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
Species? What does W. N. stand for?

Probably Dendrobates tinctorius Citronella

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Coral species? 3/14/24   Coral species? 3/14/24 Empty

Back to top Go down

Coral species? 3/14/24
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next