Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mathison Museum of Natural History

Go down 
+23
Ana
Rakel
spacelab
Gecko08
Taos
Megaptera
Duck-Anch-Amun
75senta75
Kikimalou
Saarlooswolfhound
Bonnie
RtasVadumee
landrover
Advicot
Roger
rogerpgvg
lucky luke
Caracal
pipsxlch
widukind
SUSANNE
endogenylove
bmathison1972
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 11 EmptyFri 04 Dec 2020, 19:48

I like this capsule kiwi, it is beautiful. sunny sunny

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 11 EmptyFri 04 Dec 2020, 20:24

Excellent kiwi, this is my favorite with the CollectA one.

About the base, I tried to separate it on the elphant and aadrvark models. The models and the habitat-style base didn't break except the plots on the green base... I will survive.
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 11 EmptyFri 04 Dec 2020, 20:31

Kikimalou wrote:

I agree, and they are two different species! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 11 EmptyFri 04 Dec 2020, 20:57

bmathison1972 wrote:
Kikimalou wrote:

I agree, and they are two different species! Very Happy

Indeed cheers
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 11 EmptyFri 04 Dec 2020, 22:28

One of the best kiwi figures

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 11 EmptySat 05 Dec 2020, 12:37

I wish I had the space for such wonderful models bounce
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 11 EmptySat 05 Dec 2020, 13:59

Species: Bathynomus giganteus Milne-Edwards, 1879 (giant deep-sea isopod)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Ikimon
Series: Nature Techni Colour
Year of Release: 2018 (2014)
Size/Scale: 28.7 cm, within scale of 1:1
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Uncommon (becoming more common)
Miscellaneous Notes: This life-sized model is a 2018 re-release the 2014 figure by Kitan Club, after Ikimon took over the Nature Techni Colour line from Kitan Club. Despite its size, it is fairly lightweight, as it made from hollow PVC.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: West Atlantic Ocean, from the southeastern USA to northern Brazil
Habitat: Bathydemersal, at depths of 310-2140 meters (usually 365-730 meters)
Diet: Primarily a scavenger on dead animals on the sea floor
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Not Evaluated
Miscellaneous Notes: Bathynomus giganteus is the largest species of isopod known, having an average size range of 19 to 35 cm long, with some specimens reaching upwards of 50 cm long.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by bmathison1972 on Thu 31 Dec 2020, 13:42; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 11 EmptySat 05 Dec 2020, 14:00

Wonderful figure!
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 11 EmptySat 05 Dec 2020, 14:00

Megaptera wrote:
I wish I had the space for such wonderful models bounce

Your shelves look a lot like mine ;-)

EDIT: Most of my insects are in repurposed Cornell drawers (for actual insect specimens) after I donated most of my real insects to museums.

Last edited by bmathison1972 on Sun 06 Dec 2020, 20:58; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 11 EmptySat 05 Dec 2020, 14:08

cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 11 EmptySun 06 Dec 2020, 14:05

Species: Hydrurga leptonyx (de Blainville, 1820) (leopard seal)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Safari Ltd.
Series: Wild Safari Sealife
Year of Release: 2018
Size/Scale: Figure length 14.0 cm. Body length 15.0 cm for a scale of 1:16-1:23.3
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Uncommon
Miscellaneous Notes: A familiar species, leopard seals were relatively rare in toy form until 2017 when we got hit with them three years in a row, with figures by CollectA, Safari Ltd., and Papo, respectively. There has been a lot of discussion on the forums as to which is better of the three, and each seems to have one feature that makes it stand out from the other two. I initially had gone with the Papo model but after studying pics of the three posted by forum members, I replaced it with this Safari model.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Coastal Antarctica and surrounding waters, with occasional vagrants reaching Australia, New Zealand, South America, and South Africa
Habitat: Pagophilic, usually on pack ice
Diet: Marine invertebrates, other seals, fish, penguins
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Least Concern
Miscellaneous Notes: Leopard seals are one of the top predators around Antarctica, along with killer whales and southern elephant seals. Leopard seals also live in polygynous groups, whereby a male will mate with multiple females during the breeding season, which is usually in December and January. However, after mating males resume their solitary lives.

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 11 EmptySun 06 Dec 2020, 15:09

A beauty

Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 11 EmptySun 06 Dec 2020, 16:13

I got this figure to complete my group of leopard seal, and this was a species me and my grandfather had been wishing for. I sent my request to every major brand, and it seems CollectA may have listened.

Great review thank you

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 11 EmptySun 06 Dec 2020, 16:36

Impressive Bathynomus so beautifuly presented! cheers cheers

About, the sea leopard, I think I'll get the Papo one which is maybe a little too spectacular but that I can get without shipping cost.. :)
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 11 EmptySun 06 Dec 2020, 16:42

Thanks everyone; glad it has your 'seal' of approval Cool
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 11 EmptySun 06 Dec 2020, 16:52

bmathison1972 wrote:
lol! lol!
And it has my seal of approval! Laughing
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 11 EmptySun 06 Dec 2020, 17:09

Bonnie wrote:
bmathison1972 wrote:

It's not a dog, but it is a caniform carnivore ;-)
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 11 EmptySun 06 Dec 2020, 17:10

bmathison1972 wrote:
Bonnie wrote:
bmathison1972 wrote:

It's not a dog, but it is a caniform carnivore ;-)
Exactly! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 11 EmptyMon 07 Dec 2020, 13:17

Species: Eupatorus birmanicus Arrow, 1908 (rabbit beetle)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: DeAgostini
Series: World Insect Data Book
Year of Release: unknown
Size/Scale: Body length 5.7 cm, within scale 1:1
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Unique
Miscellaneous Notes: The DeAgostini figures are cast from actual specimens and are therefore all in the 1:1 range. The figures were sold as premiums with books and come in a plastic display box with their Latin and Japanese names. I am not sure what year the figures were released, and it is possible they were released over multiple years. The original set from Japan consisted of 60 species (59 male Scarabaeoidea and one dragonfly), plus four 'secret' figures representing females of select scarab males. When the set was released in Italy, three of the standard set were replaced with other species, including a leaf insect. Between the two releases and secrets, I think there are 67 figures total representing 63 species. The figures are secured to the base of the box with a small screw, but can be safely removed if one choses to display them outside of the box. For today's post, I removed the lid to highlight the unusual morphology visible laterally (and to measure it).

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Southeast Asia, including Myanmar and Thailand
Habitat: Rainforests
Diet: Unknown. Presumably, larvae feed in rotting logs or on organic detritus in soil; adults, if they feed, are probably attracted to sap flows or overripe fruit.
Miscellaneous Notes: I had a hard time finding any information on the biology and total distribution of this species. Most of the beetles described by Arrow were from 'British India' (which included Burma, now Myanmar). Breeders and collectors often refer to this species as 'rabbit beetle' or 'rabbit ear beetle' because of the two upright pronotal horns that looks somewhat like rabbit ears.

Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 11 EmptyMon 07 Dec 2020, 19:10

so real! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 11 EmptyMon 07 Dec 2020, 19:21

cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 11 EmptyMon 07 Dec 2020, 19:54

I personally love that leopard seal the best amongst what is available. My favorite seal species, this one captures their sort of odd, alien-esque predatory look of the head, while also seeming sort of peaceful. Excellent model. 

Really beautiful rabbit beatle too. :)

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 11 EmptyMon 07 Dec 2020, 21:19

What an amazing beetle!
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 11 EmptyMon 07 Dec 2020, 21:56

Beautiful... and instructive ! It’s the first time I heard about and watch a rabbit beetle.
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 11 EmptyTue 08 Dec 2020, 13:47

Species: Megasoma anubis Chevrolat, 1836

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Sega
Series: Mushi King, standard series, small
Year of Release: Unknown
Size/Scale: Body length (including horn) 4.5 cm for a scale of 1:1.8
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Unique
Miscellaneous Notes: Another unique species by Sega in the expansive Mushi King line! The Sega 'small standard series' were 10 sets of 10 figures each, for a total of 100 figures. They represented roughly 75 species of Lucanidae and dynastine Scarabaeidae. The figures were produced in conjunction with Bandai and came with Pokemon-style playing cards. At the time of this writing, I think I have all but two of the species. For a review of the set, please see here.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Southern Brazil
Habitat: Tropical forests
Diet: Larvae are undescribed. Adults are attracted to overripe fruit and feed on the inflorescence of Chinese fan palms (Livistona chinensis).
Miscellaneous Notes: Megasoma anubis is regarded as a pest of the Chinese fan palm in Brazil where the plant was introduced as an ornamental.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 11 Empty

Back to top Go down

Mathison Museum of Natural History
Page 11 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Collections and collecting :: Collections-
Jump to: