Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mathison Museum of Natural History

Go down 
+23
Ana
Rakel
spacelab
Gecko08
Taos
Megaptera
Duck-Anch-Amun
75senta75
Kikimalou
Saarlooswolfhound
Bonnie
RtasVadumee
landrover
Advicot
Roger
rogerpgvg
lucky luke
Caracal
pipsxlch
widukind
SUSANNE
endogenylove
bmathison1972
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 23 EmptyMon Feb 01, 2021 1:20 pm

pop figure! Very Happy cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 23 EmptyMon Feb 01, 2021 1:52 pm

Very unusual one and very beautiful picture.

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 23 EmptyMon Feb 01, 2021 6:27 pm

You have figures of brands that i never heard before :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 23 EmptyMon Feb 01, 2021 8:15 pm

Beautiful and a clever packing Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 23 EmptyTue Feb 02, 2021 12:52 pm

Species: Danaus plexippus (Linnaeus, 1758) (monarch)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Safari Ltd.
Series: Authentics Insects
Year of Release: 1995
Size/Scale: Figure width 6.5 cm. Spread normally, wingspan would come to 5.5 cm for a scale of approximately 1.5:1-2:1.
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Common
Miscellaneous Notes: This is probably the most commonly-made butterfly at the species level; Safari Ltd. has made it at least five times! At the time of this writing, I have 19 specimens. This figure suffers from what so many nymphalid figures do: too many legs (generally, Authentics figures are a bit stylized).

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: North, Central, and South America, the Caribbean, the Azores, Canary Islands, North Africa, Australia, the Philippines, and South Pacific islands; rare stray to the United Kingdom
Habitat: Fields, forests, gardens, disturbed areas
Diet: Larvae feed on milkweeds in the family Apocynaceae, most commonly members of the genus Asclepias; adults take nectar from a variety of flowers
NatureServe Status (at time of posting): Apparently Secure
Miscellaneous Notes: Adult monarchs are toxic due to cardenolides in their bodies they acquire from eating milkweeds as larvae. As such, they are aposematically colored, with contrasting black and bright orange markings. This has resulting in mimicry rings with other species, including the viceroy (Limenitis archippus). Because the monarch and viceroy are both considered distasteful, this is an example of Müllerian mimicry, whereby two toxic/distasteful species mimic each other.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by bmathison1972 on Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 23 EmptyTue Feb 02, 2021 1:19 pm

I don't have any doubts that Monarch is the most common butterfly in toy shape. Curious that the most common penguin is an Emperor, the wild animal is the king lion and the dinosaur is a rex. All of them could use a crown.

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 23 EmptyTue Feb 02, 2021 1:23 pm

Roger wrote:
I don't have any doubts that Monarch is the most common butterfly in toy shape. Curious that the most common penguin is an Emperor, the wild animal is the king lion and the dinosaur is a rex. All of them could use a crown.  

Oooo, very nice observation!
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 23 EmptyTue Feb 02, 2021 6:01 pm

Nice again

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 23 EmptyTue Feb 02, 2021 9:43 pm

So beautiful because toxic?
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 23 EmptyTue Feb 02, 2021 9:49 pm

Caracal wrote:
So beautiful because toxic?

yup! In nature, bright colors usually mean you taste bad :)
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 23 EmptyWed Feb 03, 2021 12:20 am

.. a warn for birds! :)
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 23 EmptyWed Feb 03, 2021 1:23 pm

Species: Hydrochoerus hydrochaeris (Linnaeus, 1766) (capybara)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: CollectA
Series: Wildlife
Year of Release: 2011
Size/Scale: Total figure length 7.0 cm. Height at shoulder 3.1 cm for a scale of 1:16-1:20
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Uncommon
Miscellaneous Notes: Figures of capybara are not common, but usually readily available. This CollectA figure is probably the best standard-sized figure readily available at the moment. The retired Safari figure is my favorite, but hard to come by these days. There are a few by the Japanese companies that are smaller and might scale better with other standard-sized wildlife.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Much of South America, east of the Andes and south to the Argentinian pampas
Habitat: Flooded grasslands, marshes, rivers, lakes, lowland forests, agricultural fields, scrubland; habitats where water is readily available year-round
Diet: Grasses, aquatic plants, occasionally fruit and bark
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Least Concern
Miscellaneous Notes: Hydrochoerus hydrochaeris is the largest extant rodent. They are a major food source of anacondas, caimans, jaguars, and indigenous peoples. They are always on guard for possible predators, often hiding in the water with just their dorsally-located nostrils and eyes exposed to the air (a clear adaptation for a semi-aquatic mammal).

Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 23 EmptyWed Feb 03, 2021 1:41 pm

Beautiful figure, and an amazing sculpt! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 23 EmptyWed Feb 03, 2021 1:49 pm

I have this model as wel as I have the Safari. Honestly, i can't tell with certainty which one is better. If the Safari gets more competently the traditional capy look, this model is a more pleasant design. Both are surely better than the Mojo Fun model but I may get that one someday too. Wonderful picture, the result would not be so beautiful if it was the Safari model instead.

spacelab

Country/State : Greece

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 23 EmptyWed Feb 03, 2021 2:05 pm

I agree with Rogério. Cool realistic photo!
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 23 EmptyWed Feb 03, 2021 3:21 pm

I had to take several photos in different positions. I don't have a decent diorama for large freshwater animals. But the more I look at this one, the happier I am with it. Thanks all!
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 23 EmptyWed Feb 03, 2021 4:43 pm

A nice version of the capybara

Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 23 EmptyWed Feb 03, 2021 6:43 pm

great model and picture! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 23 EmptyWed Feb 03, 2021 6:46 pm

That is a great diorama photo. And great collection so far! Its fun to see so many species.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 23 EmptyWed Feb 03, 2021 8:05 pm

I've just sold mine because of lack of place and I let the Safari Ltd with me... Beautiful pic cheers ... poor Kiki Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 23 EmptyThu Feb 04, 2021 12:45 pm

Species: Eupatorus gracilicornis Arrow, 1908 (five-horned rhinoceros beetle)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Epoch
Series: Flying Beetles
Year of Release: 2004
Size/Scale: Wingspan 11.5 cm. Body length (including horns) 6.0 cm, within scale 1:1 for a smaller specimen.
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Uncommon
Miscellaneous Notes: Not one of the more commonly-made species, but still a standard among some Japanese companies. There is some assembly required for this figure. It attaches to a habitat-style base with a black plastic rod, from which it is removable.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Southeast Asia
Habitat: Rainforests
Diet: Larvae feed on rotting wood; adults feed on nectar, plant sap, and overripe fruit
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Not Evaluated
Miscellaneous Notes: There are currently five described subspecies of E. gracilicornis: E. g. edai (Dwana Range, border of Myanmar and Thailand), E. g. kimioi (southern Thailand), E. g. davidgohi (western Malaysia), E. g. prandii (southern Vietnam), and the nominate E. g. gracilicornis (India to China, south to northern Vietnam and Thailand).

Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 23 EmptyThu Feb 04, 2021 12:46 pm

Such a beautiful and realistic model, and very interesting information! cheers
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 23 EmptyThu Feb 04, 2021 7:28 pm

cheers cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 23 EmptyThu Feb 04, 2021 7:41 pm

very realistic model on a beautiful picture! cheers cheers

Last edited by Caracal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 23 EmptyFri Feb 05, 2021 4:12 am

Blaine, I don't know if you check the trade forum often, but NMR_Okapi has just put up a bunch of arthropods, many PVs. Don't know that you'd need any, but...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 23 Empty

Back to top Go down

Mathison Museum of Natural History
Page 23 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next