Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Animals and the major brands.

Go down 
+5
pipsxlch
Bonnie
Pardofelis
SUSANNE
aschuck
9 posters
AuthorMessage
aschuck

aschuck

Country/State : Michigan

Animals and the major brands. Empty
PostSubject: Animals and the major brands.   Animals and the major brands. EmptyFri Oct 30, 2020 9:28 pm

Dear Sts Friends:

Hi again. Hey, I'd like to compile a list of the species of animals, prehistoric and what not, that the major brands (Collecta, Safari, Papo, Mojo, and schleich), haven't made yet. This list also can include mythical and fantasy figures too. See, I figure, if any of the major brands even look at this forum, then they might consider these ideas. Now, I know what you're all thinking: "But we already have a bunch of wishlists on this forum, so why a new topic?" Because, my friends, there are plenty of species that they haven't done yet. For instance, I would like to see a budgie made for the incredible creatures line by Safari. See? You get the idea. Anyway, I just thought I'd do this topic, because it would help out the major brands, in one way or another. Anyway, if anyone likes this idea, then let me know.

Thanks,

Aschuck
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Animals and the major brands.   Animals and the major brands. EmptySat Oct 31, 2020 3:28 am

I also have a wish to Safari : Please ask your present great artist to make more wonderful dog models, for instance :

Saluki, whippet, cotton dog (Coton de Tulear) Very Happy

Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Animals and the major brands.   Animals and the major brands. EmptySat Oct 31, 2020 3:43 am

aschuck wrote:
I'd like to compile a list of the species of animals, prehistoric and what not, that the major brands (Collecta, Safari, Papo, Mojo, and schleich),  haven't made yet.

99'99% of animal species never have been made and never will be made into toy form, branded or not. For compile a list with about 1,5 million species, you will take several lives. Some projects of such lists already have been tried, for example, at Encyclopedia or Life or Wikispecies. Of course there are lagoons everywhere. But if you really want it, then go to Wikispecies and copypaste the list for each genus in the world and then make an investigation for those genuses that don't have species listed yet or even aren't listed themselves.

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Animals and the major brands.   Animals and the major brands. EmptySat Oct 31, 2020 5:46 am

Oh yes Susanne I completely agree!! bounce cheers
More dogs would be amazing, considering how good the latest have been! Very Happy And a coton de tulear would be such an unusual choice, and they are definitely lacking gazehounds, so hopefully we might see a saluki or whippet soon!
I would probably want them to replace their previous rough collies, as sweet as they are, for a couple of models of the same standard as the latest ones. And of course another couple of golden retrievers would be very good! I love you Very Happy
But I'd be happy with any breed they make, if it is as good as their latest dogs! cheers bounce Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Animals and the major brands.   Animals and the major brands. EmptySat Oct 31, 2020 12:47 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
I also have a wish to Safari : Please ask your present great artist to make more wonderful dog models, for instance :

Saluki, whippet, cotton dog (Coton de Tulear) Very Happy

*slinks in* American company, American breed, an old fashioned Australian shepherd! *slinks out*
Back to top Go down
Mitsukuni

Mitsukuni

Country/State : United states/ohio

PostSubject: Re: Animals and the major brands.   Animals and the major brands. EmptySun Jan 24, 2021 10:17 pm

I’m sure anyone who knows me knows my wishesXD I would very much like to see more striped hyenas specifically (they are my favorite animal) but really any hyenas from any of the major brands. CollectA is the only modern brand to come out with a striped hyena and I think that should change. I would also really love to see some of these modern brands try a brown hyena, they’re not my favorite but I still really love them and they are way under represented in the figure world. Anyone who makes a striped or brown hyena at this point will really have the market on it so I don’t see why they shouldn’t try:)

Logan'sArk

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Animals and the major brands.   Animals and the major brands. EmptyMon Feb 08, 2021 10:54 pm

I've recently compiled a list here of every species of wild mammal: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The list obviously isn't completely accurate and I didn't bother listing the nearly 400 species of shrew or the approximate 1400 bat species, but it presents a rough idea.

I'm currently working on avians, reptiles, amphibians as well.

aschuck

Country/State : Michigan

PostSubject: A Certain Document.   Animals and the major brands. EmptyMon Feb 08, 2021 11:51 pm

Dear Logan,

Hi, it's Aschuck, and I was just looking, or trying to look at your document. Apparently, I can't open it with my computer. Could you put it in a word document? I think that would be easier for me to read. The format you need should have a .doc after the filename. Anyway, just trying to help out, not only me, but othher forum members too. Anyway, if you get this, just think about what I've said. Your list is really cool. Ah! If only I could read it.

Aschuck
Back to top Go down
Logan'sArk

Logan'sArk

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Animals and the major brands.   Animals and the major brands. EmptyTue Feb 09, 2021 12:14 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Let me know if this link works.

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: Animals and the major brands.   Animals and the major brands. EmptyTue Feb 09, 2021 1:06 pm

Logan'sArk wrote:
The list obviously isn't completely accurate and I didn't bother listing the nearly 400 species of shrew or the approximate 1400 bat species, but it presents a rough idea.

As I said before, such lists (completely accurate and exhaustive) already exists. As for mammals [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
As for a "rough idea" that omits many too unknown ones, I already did one for whole extant as extinct Earth biodiversity, tough I did first a preliminary list and after completed with an exhaustive one and the latter I stopped at Mollusks long years ago. But ist's still very complete and it covers for example all arthropods, chordates, cnidarians and echinoderms. The criteria I used for choosing if they're enough popular for be listed is that if they have or not image representation in Flickr photo community.

Back to top Go down
Duck-Anch-Amun

Country/State : Luxembourg

PostSubject: Re: Animals and the major brands.   Animals and the major brands. EmptyTue Feb 09, 2021 1:15 pm

Pardofelis wrote:
Logan'sArk wrote:

As I said before, such lists (completely accurate and exhaustive) already exists. As for mammals [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
As for a "rough idea" that omits many too unknown ones, I already did one for whole extant as extinct Earth biodiversity, tough I did first a preliminary list and after completed with an exhaustive one and the latter I stopped at Mollusks long years ago. But ist's still very complete and it covers for example all arthropods, chordates, cnidarians and echinoderms. The criteria I used for choosing if they're enough popular for be listed is that if they have or not image representation in Flickr photo community.

Wow that must have been a very exhausting work Shocked
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: Animals and the major brands.   Animals and the major brands. EmptyTue Feb 09, 2021 5:19 pm

Indeed I was exhausted when I reached cephalopods (tooooooo many ammonoid families haha). Bivalves was completed tough.

Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

Country/State : United States/Texas

PostSubject: Re: Animals and the major brands.   Animals and the major brands. EmptyMon Oct 04, 2021 6:26 pm

If we’re excluding Bullyland...
As far as non-obscure mammals go:
Dall’s Porpoise
Harbor Porpoise
Hector’s Dolphin
Irrawaddy Dolphin
Atlantic Humpback Dolphin
Cuvier’s Beaked Whale
Hartebeest
Topi/Tsessebe
Bontebok/Blesbok
Nyala
Sitatunga
Common Eland
Javan Rhinoceros
Ringed Seal
Ribbon Seal
Hawaiian Monk Seal
Mediterranean Monk Seal (none of the brands are from Spain, Italy, or Greece, making this less likely than the more popular Hawaiian Monk Seal.)
Spectacled Bear
Red Wolf
Ethiopian Wolf
Dhole
Kit Fox
Gray Fox
Both species of Raccoon Dog
Bat-eared Fox
Asian Small-clawed Otter
Giant Otter
Black-footed Ferret
European Polecat
European Pine Marten
Both species of mink (Surprisingly, the American Mink is perhaps more likely than the European Mink to be represented, due to its ubiquity in both North America and Europe.
Both species of coati
Caracal
Brown Hyena
Aardwolf
Fossa
Egyptian Mongoose
Indri
Red Ruffed Lemur
Rock Hyrax
Eastern Grey Kangaroo
Numbat
Eastern Quoll
Tiger Quoll

The popularity bar is raised for birds because they aren’t represented as figures quite as often as mammals. Only the most popular are shown here:
House Sparrow
Barn Swallow
Common Myna
Bali Myna
American Crow (not likely due to Safari, the only American major brand, having already made the similar Common Raven.)
Carrion Crow
Gray Parrot
Spix’s Macaw
Palm Cockatoo
Kakapo
Great Hornbill
Common Buzzard
Red Kite
Northern Goshawk
Osprey
Turkey Vulture
Great Egret
Common Loon
Erect-crested Penguin (not likely due to overlap with generic rockhoppers)
Fiordland Penguin (again, not likely due to overlap)
Magellanic Penguin
Yellow-eyed Penguin
Horned Puffin
Tufted Puffin
Arctic Tern
Northern Lapwing (Probably the most likely shorebird to be made, but perhaps still too obscure)
Gray Crowned Crane
Red-crowned Crane
Whooping Crane
Hoatzin
Great Bustard
Tawny Frogmouth
Hawaiian Goose
Whooper Swan
Trumpeter Swan

I could not gather enough data about other animals or extinct species.
Note: Rockhopper Penguin, Bottlenose Dolphin, Right Whale, African Elephant, and Manatee are counted as one due to them almost never being identified to species
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Animals and the major brands.   Animals and the major brands. Empty

Back to top Go down

Animals and the major brands.
Page 1 of 1