Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

General collecting culture questions

Go down 
+6
Taos
George
Roger
Dutch Bear
Bonnie
Jill
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

General collecting culture questions Empty
PostSubject: General collecting culture questions   General collecting culture questions EmptyThu Apr 15, 2021 1:48 am

Hello! I am so brand new to this forum, but I have been sniffing around and reading all kinds of things, looking at pictures, etc. And I just thought I'd see if I could have a conversation with all you experienced people that might help me get my footing. :) I just have a lot of curiosity about some things!

While I've been a Collector of something my whole life (Breyer and My Little Pony primarily, but also Grand Champion, Littlest Pet Shop, Wild Republic plushes, and Painted Pony ornaments), this is the first time I've looked closely at the culture of collecting general animal figurines. I'm curious if most people collect many different brands, focusing on species or specific models they like, or if more people collect specific brands, or - what? As a Breyer collector, that was easy - I collected Breyers I liked! Or with My Little Pony, of which there are far fewer, you could check off sets pretty easily, so you knew what you were looking for.

But looking at the world of small animal figurines, well, that's a much, much broader sweep. Currently I'm just focusing on Club Earth thanks to my little collection from childhood . . . but after learning that Club Earth and Play Vision merged, I then I have to ask . . . am I also collecting Play Vision? There's so many options! Too many, really, ha! And there doesn't seem to be a complete list anywhere of them, either, which is part of the fun I am having, I think. Trying to find any I can!

What's your angle? How do you know what you're looking for, or are you even looking specifically? It's such a huge pool, how do you even know where to start?

What's the term, if there is one, for knock-off molds? In the MLP community, we call them "fakies" when the mold is copied or stolen and sold as a much cheaper version. I assume that happens in all models, and in fact I begin to wonder if some of my Club Earth horses aren't exactly that! Is there a culture conversation about that kind of thing? Do people collect them just the same? How are they easily recognized? How can you tell which is the "original"? Are they less valuable or less desirable?

How can you tell how "rare" a model is when the selection is so enormous? With MLP and Breyer, where we know virtually every single model made, there's a pretty realistic idea of how rare each one of them is. But that seems so impossible with some of these figurines (not the more popular brands I assume).

And what about the billions of extremely generic, cheap little plastic animals that I have so many of, the sort that seem to have no specific maker and come in bags at the grocery store, cheap dollar store zoo packs, that kind of thing? With terrible paint jobs and hard plastic? Who makes those? What's their story? They are all over Ebay and drug stores and my childhood bedroom, hahaha.

How is the history of some of these vintage figurines found? Do people find old catalogs or ever reach out to companies or anything? Does it often remain a mystery, or dependent on the memories of people who bought them new?

Just me being brand new and curious! :) I'm reading posts here, too, to try to get a feel for what the community is like. It feels pretty different from both the Breyer and MLP communities I have been in. Not good or bad in that way, just different! Very friendly, which I appreciate!

Here's a picture of the box I dug out of the closet that inspired me on this search to begin with. Horses on top! Lots of wildlife underneath! (Funrise is my next collecting goal, once I've explored Club Earth.)

General collecting culture questions 173242093-286534863037277-4359171616580327224-n-1
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: General collecting culture questions   General collecting culture questions EmptyThu Apr 15, 2021 10:30 am

So many fantastic questions! cheers This hobby certainly is a whole new world to explore, with an overwhelming number of models to collect! I'm fairly new to everything, but I'll give you the best answers I can! Very Happy
It sounds as though you have collected some wonderful brands and types of models in the past, and I'm sure you will love moving over to collecting general animal figurines! I think my answer to your first question would be that no collector collects the same thing- everyone here seems to have slightly different focuses and tastes, and I think this is completely up to you! Laughing Generally, I'd say that the most popular focus is around the major brand figures, but lots focus more on vintage, Japanese, smaller lesser known brands and other modern companies. So any animal that appeals from any brand really! And then there are also collectors here who focus more specifically on maybe a certain scale or species, such as 1/32 scale, or for me dogs! I collected all animals all my life, but dogs were always my favourite, so when I discovered earlier last year the variety of brands and figures available for this wonderful animal I knew that I would switch to becoming a collector of dogs only! And I love this animal, I love the models of it- and my only real criteria is that the figure has to be of a dog- so I collect all materials, sizes, styles, brands and breeds! Very Happy So my general answer would be, collect whatever you love! sunny
Club Earth sounds a wonderful place to start, and I'm really looking forward to seeing your dogs! I'm not an expert on PV but I think if they merged you might enjoy to collect them both! Very Happy I know that PV figures are quite rare, but highly collectible- and TAW is a great place to start for lists of the models by these brands! Very Happy
Generally 'knock-off' models (I think that's one of the terms we use here, are considered less valuable, and collectors try not to support this business, but that said, many still do add them, especially if they are species specific collectors like me and like to have a complete range of the models available. Generally the knock-offs from major brands are more recognisable, because these are the models that collectors are more familiar with, and so when they see a model made with the same sculpt, but poorly painted/ made with worse quality material, it's generally called a knock-off. And they also usually have the brand name removed from the bottom!
About how rare each figure is, yes, I think it depends on the brand! Very Happy With the major brands many collectors have a good idea of the more rare figures (generally those that were only released for a short time before retiring) With the smaller brands I'm not really sure- but generally any figures by these can be quite rare, there are some PV experts on here for example who would probably be able to tell you more specifically! Very Happy
And yes, those generic plastic animals! Very Happy I think they are a whole mixture of knock-offs and cheap China brands like Wing Crown- I've just bought a bag with a dog marked 'HTI Toys'. I often find that sometimes the same mould is used across theses cheap brands too, so I'll often find the same horse painted differently in different packs, for example. Very Happy
And vintage figurines do definitely have a history, some of course are mysteries but there are again many experts here and also a whole Vintage Companies section which should hopefully answer lots of your questions! cheers And what a wonderful box of models, wow, I can see some beautiful Breyers! drunken
STS definitely is a unique community but I know that you'll love it! I had just as many questions when I first joined and then eventually it all made sense- there are the most wonderful and kind people on here! sunny
Good luck and have fun with this hobby! bounce rabbit monkey elephant Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Dutch Bear

Dutch Bear

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: General collecting culture questions   General collecting culture questions EmptyThu Apr 15, 2021 12:10 pm

Goodmorning Jill.
Thank you for your interesting post.

What I really appreciate here on STS is the diversity of collectors and collections. Some members have a vast interest like mammals, birds, dinos. Others like myself have more of a niche collection.
I collect bears, only bears. Polar, brown, grizzly, panda etc etc, in all kind of shapes, sizes, materials. Not just a specific brand, no teddy bears, no cartoony figures, no cute hats, no bowties, no clothing.
The shape of all bear species is very much alike. Figures mostly either walk, sit, stand upright. I have my Army of Bears sorted by species and position.
So all walking adult polar bears live on one shelf, upright standing brown bear cubs make up another shelf.

I do collect knock-offs. Of some figures I have several fakes and not even the real one.
The topic comes up every now and then here online, but
I also collect colour variations of the same model, in material and/or paintjob. Either being by the original brand of copies.
Sometimes I think I do enjoy vintage figures more than mass modern plastic ones. But then again a set of colour variations can be more pleasing than a random vintage model.

Rarity is relative. Some brands are very common in one part of the world and nearly impossible to find somewhere else. But that doesn’t make them rare.
I have 700+ bears, so to find new ones in stores and flea markets is rare. Yet I know of maybe 200 other figures I don’t have.
I really appreciate some members contacting me first before they are to sell some figures.
Sometimes I do but doubles, if they are not too expencive, just to see if it upgrates the figure I allready have.

A topic I hardly hear anything about is the 3D printing and the reproduction of old, retired, vintage models. I am only aware of one new/modern bear figure that was 3D printed.
http://toyanimal.mywikis.net/wiki/Papo_55066_Cave_bear

Greetings from Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Dutch Bear
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: General collecting culture questions   General collecting culture questions EmptyThu Apr 15, 2021 1:53 pm

If you collect Club Earth figures, you are not necesarily a collector of Play Visions. Those small models we know, are all previous to the year that Play visions purchased Club Earth - 2007. However, the traditional collector of Play Visions tends to collect Club Earth models once their concept is quite similar.
Our Toy Animal Wiki is a source much more abrangent than the huge Identify your Breyer, so, we have to list everything we know, often without catalogues. Play Visions section, that you can browse through this link We did it with a single catalogue that does not covered the whole range. Most was made discussing and grouping figures we could find and sorting them without any official source. Many collectors contributed but clearly it was @Froggie collection the main core of htis listing.
Maybe, we can use the same method to enrich the Club Earth section on TAW with your collection pictures and knowledge about the brand. Funrise too, our section is still very poor.
I am not good to help you sorting your collecting interests. I started just as a collector of "rrealistic" models of modern brands, mostly in what we call standard size. It means sized like Schleich, Papo, etc.
It was wildlife only. Later I added a few farm, sea life, prehistoric and started a collection of foxes of all brands and of all materials sizes, etc. Then vintage models like Britains, Reisler and later even composition figures. Laughing Then I needed to reduce my collecting interests and stopped adding horses, farm or prehistoric animals to my collection but it doesn't work, I've got a prehistoric mamal as a gift recently and there's a horse coming home too... and a sheep, a donkey, etc. Laughing Now, I have a little project to collect realistic figures at 1:15 scale and also I am starting very seriously a collection of anteaters and pangolins just as I do with my foxes. Actually, something I dreamed for a long time. Not being a completist, I mean, not wanting to collect every single figure from a specific brand, my collecting preferences have changed a lot during these 10 years.

Jill

PostSubject: Re: General collecting culture questions   General collecting culture questions EmptyThu Apr 15, 2021 3:22 pm

Thanks so much for the great answers!!

Bonnie wrote:
I collected all animals all my life, but dogs were always my favourite, so when I discovered earlier last year the variety of brands and figures available for this wonderful animal I knew that I would switch to becoming a collector of dogs only! And I love this animal, I love the models of it- and my only real criteria is that the figure has to be of a dog- so I collect all materials, sizes, styles, brands and breeds! Very Happy So my general answer would be, collect whatever you love! sunny
Club Earth sounds a wonderful place to start, and I'm really looking forward to seeing your dogs!

That's cool, I do not have a ton of dogs - mostly a few Puppy in my Pocket and Littlest Pet Shop leftovers from the 80s (and these weird maybe Club Earth ones). I just got my newest package of them in yesterday, I am excited to share them! Going to wait for some good weather for photos, it's been so gloomy and dark when I get home from work. The great part about this lot of dogs is that they are very weird and have created quite a few mysteries for me when compared to the ones from my childhood, so I am eager to hear what you think they might be! I also have to wait until I can create links (7 days I think), because I have so many pictures, I want to make them thumbnails, haha. So, next week probably I will make a big post asking about them. :)

Quote :
Generally 'knock-off' models (I think that's one of the terms we use here, are considered less valuable, and collectors try not to support this business, but that said, many still do add them, especially if they are species specific collectors like me and like to have a complete range of the models available. Generally the knock-offs from major brands are more recognisable, because these are the models that collectors are more familiar with, and so when they see a model made with the same sculpt, but poorly painted/ made with worse quality material, it's generally called a knock-off. And they also usually have the brand name removed from the bottom!
Cool, thank you, that seems to be true across the board with copies, then. That makes me think maybe my weird ones aren't knock-offs after all, though, because they do have the same stamps on the mold - they just aren't painted as nicely. We'll see!

Quote :
And yes, those generic plastic animals! Very Happy I think they are a whole mixture of knock-offs and cheap China brands like Wing Crown- I've just bought a bag with a dog marked 'HTI Toys'. I often find that sometimes the same mould is used across theses cheap brands too, so I'll often find the same horse painted differently in different packs, for example. Very Happy
That does make it even trickier, doesn't it, having the mold used by so many places? That's interesting, I would love to know more about the creation, storage, and use of molds and how it comes to be that multiple places use the same ones.

Quote :
And vintage figurines do definitely have a history, some of course are mysteries but there are again many experts here and also a whole Vintage Companies section which should hopefully answer lots of your questions!

I've been reading, it's really fascinating, I'm so curious how people know all this stuff and how the research is done! So much knowledge out there!

Quote :
And what a wonderful box of models, wow, I can see some beautiful Breyers!
I'll be slowly working through that box and getting IDs on the ones I can't figure out, so that will be fun. :) I've got to find a good way to get pictures. I wish I had a lightbox!
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: General collecting culture questions   General collecting culture questions EmptyThu Apr 15, 2021 3:28 pm

Dutch Bear wrote:

What I really appreciate here on STS is the diversity of collectors and collections. Some members have a vast interest like mammals, birds, dinos. Others like myself have more of a niche collection.
I have noticed that the range is really broad, both in what people are collecting and who they are - ages, locations, etc. That's really cool!

Quote :
I collect bears, only bears. Polar, brown, grizzly, panda etc etc, in all kind of shapes, sizes, materials. Not just a specific brand, no teddy bears, no cartoony figures, no cute hats, no bowties, no clothing.
The shape of all bear species is very much alike. Figures mostly either walk, sit, stand upright. I have my Army of Bears sorted by species and position.
So all walking adult polar bears live on one shelf, upright standing brown bear cubs make up another shelf.
Nice! Bears is another one I didn't have a lot of as a kid. I can think of one that I know of! I would be tempted to start an animal-specific collection like that, I think, with some of my favorite creatures.

Quote :
I also collect colour variations of the same model, in material and/or paintjob. Either being by the original brand of copies.
That's something I'm very interested in with the Club Earth. Curious to see how many variations of each exist!

Quote :
Rarity is relative. Some brands are very common in one part of the world and nearly impossible to find somewhere else. But that doesn’t make them rare.
That's really interesting, I'm used to collecting things made primarily in the USA and UK, rather than things from all over the world, so that does throw a different light on it.

Quote :
I have 700+ bears, so to find new ones in stores and flea markets is rare. Yet I know of maybe 200 other figures I don’t have.
Wow! Do you hunt through eBay lots etc. to try to see if anything you've never seen comes up? How do you know there are 200 you don't have, just having seen them elsewhere?

Quote :
A topic I hardly hear anything about is the 3D printing and the reproduction of old, retired, vintage models. I am only aware of one new/modern bear figure that was 3D printed.
Oh, that does sound like a whole topic in itself. Is that 3D printing done legitimately or pirating molds?

Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: General collecting culture questions   General collecting culture questions EmptyThu Apr 15, 2021 3:34 pm

Roger wrote:
If you collect Club Earth figures, you are not necesarily a collector of Play Visions. Those small models we know, are all previous to the year that Play visions purchased Club Earth - 2007. However, the traditional collector of Play Visions tends to collect Club Earth models once their concept is quite similar.
That's the kind of thing I am curious about, yeah, thank you! I think I'm most interested in just the Club Earth before it was Play Visions (for now), but I am not 100% sure how to tell those two things apart. Based on the frogs I have from PV, they seem to all have the PV logo while the Club Earth does not, so I'm using than so far, but very few lots online show you the bottom of the animal in photos, making it tricky to tell.

Quote :
Our Toy Animal Wiki is a source much more abrangent than the huge Identify your Breyer, so, we have to list everything we know, often without catalogues. Play Visions section, that you can browse through this link. We did it with a single catalogue that does not covered the whole range. Most was made discussing and grouping figures we could find and sorting them without any official source. Many collectors contributed but clearly it was @Froggie collection the main core of htis listing.
Maybe, we can use the same method to enrich the Club Earth section on TAW with your collection pictures and knowledge about the brand. Funrise too, our section is still very poor.
I love that wiki, it helped me pinpoint that what I had was in fact Club Earth. We'll see if anything I've got turns out to be helpful! :)  

Quote :
I am not good to help you sorting your collecting interests. I started just as a collector of "rrealistic" models of modern brands, mostly in what we call standard size. It means sized like Schleich, Papo, etc.
It was wildlife only. Later I added a few farm, sea life, prehistoric and started a collection of foxes of all brands and of all materials sizes, etc. Then vintage models like Britains, Reisler and later even composition figures. Laughing Then I needed to reduce my collecting interests and stopped adding horses, farm  or prehistoric animals to my collection but it doesn't work, I've got a prehistoric mamal as a gift recently and there's a horse coming home too... and a sheep, a donkey, etc. Laughing Now, I have a little project to collect realistic figures at 1:15 scale and also I am starting very seriously a collection of anteaters and pangolins just as I do with my foxes. Actually, something I dreamed for a long time. Not being a completist, I mean, not wanting to collect every single figure from a specific brand, my collecting preferences have changed a lot during these 10 years.
I think I would have exactly the same approach if I didn't make myself pick an interest to avoid filling up my shelves and emptying my bank account too fast! Laughing  I've already seen so many individual pieces that appeal to me, I would have a very random assortment. Which would be wonderful, I just can't do that YET.
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: General collecting culture questions   General collecting culture questions EmptyThu Apr 15, 2021 5:55 pm

Quote :
I think I would have exactly the same approach if I didn't make myself pick an interest to avoid filling up my shelves and emptying my bank account too fast!

This is exactly it with me, too - I really like looking at all the wildlife models, and would happily have an entire collection of all the species I personally like or could find a really good model of, but I'm forcing myself to be a horse collector cos there just isn't room in my home for everything I know I'd love to own. Keeping a firm Only Buy Horses rule stops me spending too much, or the model addiction getting out of hand with way too much to covet and no place to keep it (with a small exception to allow other equids, cos they're almost horses)

Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: General collecting culture questions   General collecting culture questions EmptyThu Apr 15, 2021 6:25 pm

George wrote:

This is exactly it with me, too - I really like looking at all the wildlife models, and would happily have an entire collection of all the species I personally like or could find a really good model of, but I'm forcing myself to be a horse collector cos there just isn't room in my home for everything I know I'd love to own. Keeping a firm Only Buy Horses rule stops me spending too much, or the model addiction getting out of hand with way too much to covet and no place to keep it (with a small exception to allow other equids, cos they're almost horses)
Great choice to focus on, in my opinion. I have a soft spot for horses. Very Happy Also I imagine one of the choices with the most options to pick from. I still would have to narrow it down! I think a collection of just "other equids" would be amazing to be honest!
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: General collecting culture questions   General collecting culture questions EmptyThu Apr 15, 2021 10:15 pm

Jill wrote:
Thanks so much for the great answers!!

Bonnie wrote:
I collected all animals all my life, but dogs were always my favourite, so when I discovered earlier last year the variety of brands and figures available for this wonderful animal I knew that I would switch to becoming a collector of dogs only! And I love this animal, I love the models of it- and my only real criteria is that the figure has to be of a dog- so I collect all materials, sizes, styles, brands and breeds! Very Happy So my general answer would be, collect whatever you love! sunny
Club Earth sounds a wonderful place to start, and I'm really looking forward to seeing your dogs!

That's cool, I do not have a ton of dogs - mostly a few Puppy in my Pocket and Littlest Pet Shop leftovers from the 80s (and these weird maybe Club Earth ones). I just got my newest package of them in yesterday, I am excited to share them! Going to wait for some good weather for photos, it's been so gloomy and dark when I get home from work. The great part about this lot of dogs is that they are very weird and have created quite a few mysteries for me when compared to the ones from my childhood, so I am eager to hear what you think they might be! I also have to wait until I can create links (7 days I think), because I have so many pictures, I want to make them thumbnails, haha. So, next week probably I will make a big post asking about them. :)

Quote :
Cool, thank you, that seems to be true across the board with copies, then. That makes me think maybe my weird ones aren't knock-offs after all, though, because they do have the same stamps on the mold - they just aren't painted as nicely. We'll see!

Quote :
That does make it even trickier, doesn't it, having the mold used by so many places? That's interesting, I would love to know more about the creation, storage, and use of molds and how it comes to be that multiple places use the same ones.

Quote :
And vintage figurines do definitely have a history, some of course are mysteries but there are again many experts here and also a whole Vintage Companies section which should hopefully answer lots of your questions!

I've been reading, it's really fascinating, I'm so curious how people know all this stuff and how the research is done! So much knowledge out there!

Quote :
And what a wonderful box of models, wow, I can see some beautiful Breyers!
I'll be slowly working through that box and getting IDs on the ones I can't figure out, so that will be fun. :) I've got to find a good way to get pictures. I wish I had a lightbox!
So excited to see your dogs, especially your mystery ones, and hopefully I will be able to help! Very Happy bounce And Vintage Puppy in my Pocket- I love these models, and wish I had grown up around the time they were available because I prefer them to the current flocked ones! I'm really looking forward to seeing your collection! Very Happy And I agree with you, it would be interesting to know how multiple brands seem to use the same mould! I remember this topic came up on STS previously, I think under a Schleich knock-off topic- it seems to be a mystery of the plastic animal world! Yes, it's amazing how much knowledge everyone has, I think with vintage brands there are a few books on them, and also it helps when you've grown up in their eras! And I'm sure with all the help here you will be able to identify your mystery models from the box! cheers
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: General collecting culture questions   General collecting culture questions EmptyThu Apr 15, 2021 11:31 pm

Bonnie wrote:
And Vintage Puppy in my Pocket- I love these models, and wish I had grown up around the time they were available because I prefer them to the current flocked ones! I'm really looking forward to seeing your collection! Very Happy
Just for you, here's a very fast group photo of all the other domestic dogs I still have! Laughing Not very many! Nothing impressive! I lost so many over the years!

General collecting culture questions 173131883-3826372340812481-6139017875645407569-n

Last edited by Jill on Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:10 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: General collecting culture questions   General collecting culture questions EmptyThu Apr 15, 2021 11:38 pm

Jill wrote:
George wrote:

Great choice to focus on, in my opinion. I have a soft spot for horses. Very Happy Also I imagine one of the choices with the most options to pick from. I still would have to narrow it down! I think a collection of just "other equids" would be amazing to be honest!

Yes, there's definitely plenty to choose from! Or not choose, and collect all kinds of them Laughing

Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: General collecting culture questions   General collecting culture questions EmptyFri Apr 16, 2021 10:51 am

Jill wrote:
Bonnie wrote:
And Vintage Puppy in my Pocket- I love these models, and wish I had grown up around the time they were available because I prefer them to the current flocked ones! I'm really looking forward to seeing your collection! Very Happy
Just for you, here's a very fast group photo of all the other domestic dogs I still have! Laughing Not very many! Nothing impressive! I lost so many over the years!

General collecting culture questions 173131883-3826372340812481-6139017875645407569-n
Ohh wow what a wonderful, wonderful collection, so many gorgeous dogs!!! cheers sunny bounce I love you
You have some real treasures there, it makes me so happy every time I see a collection of dogs! Very Happy  So thank you so much for sharing this photo! cheers
The three at the back really caught my eye- they are all so beautiful, but I have never seen them before! Shocked bounce They almost look like they are AAA- do they have any markings? Are they made of plastic? I'd love to know! Very Happy
And I am a huge fan of Rough Collies, so your lying Puppy in my Pocket one brought a huge smile to my face, and so did the fantastic vintage Borzoi far right! drunken
The three in the middle look wonderful too, just right of the small black and white collie- I can't quite see them but it looks as though you have two Japanese Chins-such unusual breeds and beautiful models of them too! cheers And does this group include your Club Earth dogs? bounce
The perfect start to my day! And if you have any questions on their brands/ about any of them then please ask, although there are quite a few lovey mystery doggies I've never seen before Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: General collecting culture questions   General collecting culture questions EmptyFri Apr 16, 2021 1:50 pm

Bonnie wrote:

The three at the back really caught my eye- they are all so beautiful, but I have never seen them before! Shocked bounce They almost look like they are AAA- do they have any markings? Are they made of plastic? I'd love to know! Very Happy
They aren't plastic, they're . . . stoneware? Is that what it's called? Sort of like china or resin, but a little hardier. I did still manage to chip them as a kid. No brand markings!

Quote :
The three in the middle look wonderful too, just right of the small black and white collie- I can't quite see them but it looks as though you have two Japanese Chins-such unusual breeds and beautiful models of them too! cheers And does this group include your Club Earth dogs? bounce
The perfect start to my day! And if you have any questions on their brands/ about any of them then please ask, although there are quite a few lovey mystery doggies I've never seen before Very Happy
One is a chin and one is a cocker spaniel (and the other a dachshund of course)! Those three are just marked china. No idea where they are from! I don't even think I had them as a kid, they snuck into my box at some point, haha! This does not include the Club Earth, but you've seen them over on the cat thread. :) Now that I know how to work putting photos in a thread without a link, maybe I can get them up tonight.
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: General collecting culture questions   General collecting culture questions EmptyFri Apr 16, 2021 4:59 pm

Jill wrote:
Bonnie wrote:

They aren't plastic, they're . . . stoneware? Is that what it's called? Sort of like china or resin, but a little hardier. I did still manage to chip them as a kid. No brand markings!

Quote :
One is a chin and one is a cocker spaniel (and the other a dachshund of course)! Those three are just marked china. No idea where they are from! I don't even think I had them as a kid, they snuck into my box at some point, haha! This does not include the Club Earth, but you've seen them over on the cat thread. :) Now that I know how to work putting photos in a thread without a link, maybe I can get them up tonight.  
Thanks so much for answering my questions, these dogs are wonderful! cheers
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: General collecting culture questions   General collecting culture questions EmptySat Apr 17, 2021 8:22 pm

Great selection of dogs and I think I even see a Borzoi!! Smile Smile

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: General collecting culture questions   General collecting culture questions EmptyMon Apr 19, 2021 3:40 am

Welcome Jill! Nice to 'meet' you and lovely dog assortment. I think the 3 dogs in the back are Stone Critters, made of cast hydrastone. I have a German shepherd now, so your sitting one catches my eye hah.

I found my way here looking for information on a Yujin goldfish model I was gifted, and seeing everything I started to identify my daughter's childhood figures. I long collected Windstone Editions dragons and guiltily snuck in dinosaur figures when I found nice ones somewhere (plus my childhood Breyers), I was delighted and amazed to find people who collected them and the sheer quantity (and quality to someone mostly used to cheap China figures) of figures out there. Nowadays, of 'toy' figures I collect primarily goldfish (which often morphs into any fish), Paleozoic and Mesozoic figures (which can include dragons), and dogs/horses of 'my' breeds. I'm not a scale or brand purist; I don't even mind knockoffs or Chinamals. And if something outside my primary interests appeals, I get it anyhow.

I will if possible buy any secondhand figures at thrift stores and flea markets etc. for trade bait, this also results in a rather larger collection than I acknowledge.
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: General collecting culture questions   General collecting culture questions EmptyMon Apr 19, 2021 5:24 am

Thank you both, yes indeed, a little borzoi with unknown origins to me! And a bit chewed on by my real dog, oh dear.

pipsxlch wrote:
Welcome Jill! Nice to 'meet' you and lovely dog assortment. I think the 3 dogs in the back are Stone Critters, made of cast hydrastone. I have a German shepherd now, so your sitting one catches my eye hah.
Oh thanks! I knew it had stone in the name somewhere. :) They are a nice trio.

Quote :
I found my way here looking for information on a Yujin goldfish model I was gifted, and seeing everything I started to identify my daughter's childhood figures. I long collected Windstone Editions dragons and guiltily snuck in dinosaur figures when I found nice ones somewhere (plus my childhood Breyers), I was delighted and amazed to find people who collected them and the sheer quantity (and quality to someone mostly used to cheap China figures) of figures out there. Nowadays, of 'toy' figures I collect primarily goldfish (which often morphs into any fish), Paleozoic and Mesozoic figures (which can include dragons), and dogs/horses of 'my' breeds. I'm not a scale or brand purist; I don't even mind knockoffs or Chinamals. And if something outside my primary interests appeals, I get it anyhow.
Goldfish, I love that - so much diversity in what people collect! I don't think I've ever seen a goldfish figure.
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: General collecting culture questions   General collecting culture questions EmptyMon Apr 19, 2021 7:06 am

Wait till you discover the Japanese gashapon models...*evil chuckle while rubbing hands* Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: General collecting culture questions   General collecting culture questions EmptyMon Apr 19, 2021 2:33 pm

pipsxlch wrote:
Wait till you discover the Japanese gashapon models...*evil chuckle while rubbing hands* Twisted Evil
I have briefly glanced into the Japanese lines section and already there are sooo many amphibians that just blow me away, I can only imagine there are other beautiful pieces I should avoid seeing for now! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: General collecting culture questions   General collecting culture questions EmptyMon Apr 19, 2021 6:10 pm

The wonderful thing about this hobby and community is that people have a vast array of collecting styles. Some are species or group specific like horses, bears, cetaceans etc. or brand specific like PV or Schleich. Some only like high quality original models from the big brands like CollectA or PNSO etc. People who love variations in the same mold and make "conga lines". 

Then there's people like me who like a lot of things. Wink I primarily am a wolf enthusiast, but love all canids so I have 100+ wolf models, 400+ dogs, and lots of other wild species of canid. But I also like wildlife, farm life, horses, and "recently" admitted I collect sea life and some prehistoric too, with some fantasy from my childhood. So my collection is a pain to clean at some 4,000 models...

I think you have gotten great answers on your other questions. There are loads of "chinamals" and knock offs these days, in many cases you really have to know your brands and models to spot a fake! The wiki is an enormous help and community driven project. It was a life saver when I recently documented my models. Besides that, we all just enjoy the company and discuss all sorts of topics. 

I love your collection, lots of older and cryptic models I haven't seen before because most people don't collect them. That makes yours so unique and interesting to see! Maybe you could open a collection thread and periodically update it with your wonderful models?

https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: General collecting culture questions   General collecting culture questions EmptyMon Apr 19, 2021 6:38 pm

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
The wonderful thing about this hobby and community is that people have a vast array of collecting styles. Some are species or group specific like horses, bears, cetaceans etc. or brand specific like PV or Schleich. Some only like high quality original models from the big brands like CollectA or PNSO etc. People who love variations in the same mold and make "conga lines".
Love that the term "conga" seems to be used across so many collecting platforms, ha!  

Quote :
Then there's people like me who like a lot of things. Wink I primarily am a wolf enthusiast, but love all canids so I have 100+ wolf models, 400+ dogs, and lots of other wild species of canid. But I also like wildlife, farm life, horses, and "recently" admitted I collect sea life and some prehistoric too, with some fantasy from my childhood. So my collection is a pain to clean at some 4,000 models...
Shocked 4,000! Are they all out at once? Amazing!

Quote :
I love your collection, lots of older and cryptic models I haven't seen before because most people don't collect them. That makes yours so unique and interesting to see! Maybe you could open a collection thread and periodically update it with your wonderful models?
That sounds like a good idea once I get a good idea of what's going on in this Club Earth pile I have, haha. (And when my last packages get here!)

Thanks for your explanations!
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: General collecting culture questions   General collecting culture questions EmptyMon Apr 19, 2021 6:55 pm

If you want to see organized chaos just look here (scroll down, periodic updates go to page 9): https://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t22925p100-saarlooswolfhound-s-collection-display-and-closeups-updated-april-16-some-display-changes

But again its because I have a wide collecting taste and interest. Only ones not on display are my fantasy, and I have no current photos of my breyers. I will look forward to seeing yours. Very Happy

Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: General collecting culture questions   General collecting culture questions EmptyMon Apr 19, 2021 9:39 pm

Holy SMOKES! That's amazing, what an incredible collection! I can feel Little Jill inside of me going absolutely bananas over it, what a dream array. I saw a few I remember gazing at in the toy shops. I can't even say which sections were my favorite, it's like a museum and a zoo and a really nice toy shop all in one.

(I would love to have my Breyers all out again someday! There are far too many for my tiny living space right now, which is unfortunate, because I worry about them in storage with vinegar syndrome . . )
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: General collecting culture questions   General collecting culture questions EmptyMon Apr 19, 2021 9:52 pm

Thanks! (And I didn't mean to divert off topic... sorry).

May I ask what vinegar syndrome is (I suspect its nothing good... but google was most unhelpful here)?

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General collecting culture questions   General collecting culture questions Empty

Back to top Go down

General collecting culture questions
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next