Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24]

Go down 
+23
Kikimalou
Bonnie
Roger
Saarlooswolfhound
lucky luke
bmathison1972
75senta75
CodyK2004
thebritfarmer
SUSANNE
Joliezac
sunny
Ana
Mitsukuni
Burgerenby
Seeway
RtasVadumee
pipsxlch
Caracal
landrover
Taos
spacelab
George
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next
AuthorMessage
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24] Empty
PostSubject: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24] EmptySun May 02, 2021 8:23 am

I don't feel like I have quite the basic groundwork to qualify for a Collection thread yet, since most of what I do have is in storage and I don't have pictures, but what I DO have is a lot of stuff coming in the mail, and that's fun to share! My family doesn't get as excited as I do, haha. So, maybe jumping the gun a bit, but I decided to start one anyway.

Here's some pictures, at least, of what IS on display! I rent an attic space from my parents, which is very nice, but as you might expect, super tiny wall space. I'm working toward getting a bigger place in the next couple of years, so hopefully someday I'll be able to take photos of everything. :)

My Breyer collection is heavily 90's because that's when I was buying them new, but I also love anything earlier. I have a few smatterings of newer horses as well, but heavily "vintage" oriented. I absolutely love a classicly vintage model with some wear and history to it (though I love a good mint one, too, haha).

My book/Breyer shelf, featuring some favorites:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

These guys don't fit on my Stablemate shelves (the 70th anniversary get to be out along with the G1s because they are vintage-flavored. Wink )

I don't love Breyer unicorns, except the Little Bits one, but I DO love unicorn lore, in general, so I ended up with a few. I actually really wish Mira and Anteres didn't have horns at all, I just love those molds and that color. Poor Mira's horn is snapped, too.

And my Funrise are sharing space with the Breyers for now!

Here's the all-Breyer shelf, featuring a few more favorites:

And the G1 stablemate wall behind my computer, so they are always watching me while I am posting, judging. (Also featuring a hand-crafted tiger from Tangkuban Peragu in Indonesia):

In an attempt to find my przewalski for a reference photo (found him), I located all my Schliech, which for only being eight animals were spread across at least four boxes:

They're currently living with everything that was in [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], none of which has anywhere to go right now.

And last but not least, by box of tiny animals I've been posting about over on the Club Earth board, waiting for me to find them a display case!  Laughing

More undoubtably to come! Razz

Last edited by Jill on Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:23 am; edited 44 times in total
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24] EmptySun May 02, 2021 8:33 am

This is great, I do love a good nosey at other people's horses and how they're displayed! My favourites are the G1 collection, the Schleich takhi, and Llanarth True Briton - I've got the Danaway Tango release on that mould and it's my absolute favourite from that middle-ish era of moulds, somewhere between vintage and modern. 'Retro', maybe!

Also great to find someone else who agrees with my unpopular take on unicorns - more models of 'real' historical ones, rather than pastel rainbow glitter ones, please!
I wrote almost an essay on it here, hahah Laughing

rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24] EmptySun May 02, 2021 8:44 am

Great horse collection! I love the G1s too, you have a lot of them!

spacelab

Country/State : Greece

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24] EmptySun May 02, 2021 8:51 am

Beautiful horse collection and pretty cool place. I always wanted to have an attic like this to isolate my collecting hobbies from "the world" but it never happened.
Really nice!
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24] EmptySun May 02, 2021 9:44 am

Thank you guys!

George wrote:
This is great, I do love a good nosey at other people's horses and how they're displayed! My favourites are the G1 collection, the Schleich takhi, and Llanarth True Briton - I've got the Danaway Tango release on that mould and it's my absolute favourite from that middle-ish era of moulds, somewhere between vintage and modern. 'Retro', maybe!
Retro is a better word for most of collection, I think! Poor Tubby, his mold gets made so much fun of, but I just love him. I remember when the catalouge came out introducing his mold, and he had a full page spread on a mirrored stage, and I was just in love. I got him for Christmas that year and took him to the candlelight service at church.  Laughing

Quote :
Also great to find someone else who agrees with my unpopular take on unicorns - more models of 'real' historical ones, rather than pastel rainbow glitter ones, please!
I wrote almost an essay on it here, hahah Laughing
Nice!! What a beautiful custom! Yes, I have strong opinions about unicorns! I'd love to see some brand edgy enough to create a series of unicorns from history - the karkadan, the qi'lin, the little tiny goat with a lion tail and a gigantic horn . . .  And the idea of adapting the unicorn into a real animal like you've done has always appealed. Either your take, where it's legitimately horse-ish, or something else altogether different, a species unto itself. The Modern Unicorn has its own place in the lore, but it's not my favorite place. The most recent Breyer Wal-Mart one got me the most - something about it being a gaited horse (on top of the rainbows) is the opposite energy of the mysterious and exotic wild unicorn concept. Like you said, it's all to taste and I know many people just love him, so I'm glad he has an audience. (This sounds very hypocritical coming from someone whose largest collection is My Little Pony, but I don't consider those unicorns, per say. Laughing )

rogerpgvg wrote:
Great horse collection! I love the G1s too, you have a lot of them!
Thank you! I just switched my Breyer focus to vintage stablemates in the recent past, so I buckled down and expanded their numbers by quite a bit.

spacelab wrote:
Beautiful horse collection and pretty cool place. I always wanted to have an attic like this to isolate my collecting hobbies from "the world" but it never happened.
Really nice!
Thanks! It really would be an awesome "collection" space, if I did not also have to live in it with everything I own. Laughing
Back to top Go down
George

George

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24] EmptySun May 02, 2021 10:13 am

I remember big hobby drama over the over-flexed fetlock, and how some judges refused to place the Llanarth mould because of it, while other people spent hours finding photos of real horses with their fetlocks touching the grass to prove it's possible in an action pose. Now we have the Copperfox welsh cob, all the placings tend to be him, him, and more him, and no-one dusts off their Breyer ones for the show ring any more Laughing

The more goat-ish bearded and cloved hoofed unicorn was another consideration, and would've been interesting and in-keeping with my aim of 'factual unicorn people could've believed in', but I don't really like resculpting so I just went for horse seeing as the body was horse-shaped already, hah. Considering Schleich make So Many Unicorns these days, it'd be cool if they decided to do a less equine one for one of their fantasy ranges (as long as they left off the bright colours and the sparkle - pffff, I just imagined a medieval monk trying to glue glitter onto an illuminated manuscript illustration to match our modern pop-culture unicorns Rolling Eyes )

Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24] EmptySun May 02, 2021 9:45 pm

Your collection is beautiful- what a stunning selection of Breyers and how wonderful to be surrounded by horses! cheers drunken I love how they are all over your books, and there are always more to spot hidden between them- my dogs are exactly the same at the moment, sharing the bookshelf with the books! Very Happy And all around your computer too, it must be so nice to look up and see a whole variety of poses and colours! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24] EmptySun May 02, 2021 10:08 pm

Wow, rare figures

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24] EmptyMon May 03, 2021 3:14 am

Great collection of Breyers. Applause Applause Applause Applause

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24] EmptyMon May 03, 2021 3:36 am

Thank you everyone!

George wrote:
pffff, I just imagined a medieval monk trying to glue glitter onto an illuminated manuscript illustration to match our modern pop-culture unicorns  Rolling Eyes )
I think these expressions sum it up:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I really do like the break up of space with the books and the horses! In my dream home, they are scattered throughout the place, in nooks and crannies and what not. But I have too many, really, to do that - I'd have to have an enormous house. Laughing

Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24] EmptyMon May 03, 2021 5:14 am

Very interesting photos of your animals, with great treasures......especially the Breyers models.

cheers cheers

Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24] EmptyMon May 03, 2021 6:12 am

Your breyer displays and everything are really beautiful, clean and crisp and professional looking. You have some great Schleich and I can't wait to see more! The rare club earth extinct animals... drunken

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24] EmptyMon May 03, 2021 10:45 am

It seems you are a horses lover! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24] EmptyMon May 03, 2021 11:02 am

I enjoy seeing your Funrise together with your more reputated Breyer. You really love these little Funrise and they surely deserve it. I also like the G1 models although I am not that used with Stablemates to make a full judgement.
I see my request for comparison pictures served to reveal your Schleich, i even see a horse that looks like an okapi. Laughing

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24] EmptyMon May 03, 2021 1:02 pm

Thanks all!

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
The rare club earth extinct animals... drunken
They were a very unexpected and incredible gift! I love you

Caracal wrote:
It seems you are a horses lover! cheers cheers
My collection may lean a particular way, yes! Wink

Roger wrote:

I see my request for comparison pictures served to reveal your Schleich, i even see a horse that looks like an okapi. Laughing
Don't tell any of them, they still haven't noticed the artiodactyla in their midst.
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24] EmptyThu May 06, 2021 11:49 am

A few new things! Thanks to pipsxlch (for several of these and many others that didn't fit into the photo!)

And the creatures I picked up the from the antique store just today, thanks to identification from here.

Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24] EmptyThu May 06, 2021 11:53 am

Great new additions! The dark wolf/dog and gray/yellow/green guy next to it, do you know what they are? The latter looks a bit like the Nayab wolverine but in a different color.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24] EmptyThu May 06, 2021 12:01 pm

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
Great new additions! The dark wolf/dog and gray/yellow/green guy next to it, do you know what they are? The latter looks a bit like the Nayab wolverine but in a different color.
Thank you! I think (?) it's a bear with a dog like face. Laughing It's marked with an I (there's at least one more animal in the box I think with a letter on it that seems to go with him), and the green and gray weasel thing just has China. I looked up the Nayab, not quite the same mold, this one is not an animal shape I can immediately identify, ha! So both I presume are knock-offs.
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24] EmptyThu May 06, 2021 2:55 pm

Those weird geometric animals have a cool mid century vibe, very interesting!

I have a celluloid dog; are you going into celluloid?
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24] EmptyThu May 06, 2021 3:13 pm

They do, they are very weird and old and lovely, which, if anything, seems to be my collecting aesthetic. Laughing

I am not sure about going into, since I only just learned about them today after falling in love with these, but I have been looking at them on ebay and they are really delightful. Wink (And expensive.) I don't know that my collection will ever know which way it is headed, but I do have a great affection for that distinctly vintage "look". I would love to get more of them someday, but I feel like I should have a china cabinet to exhibit them in!
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24] EmptyThu May 06, 2021 9:43 pm

Many great new additions! Are you studying Geometry or is it Ergonomics? Wink Some figures are designed to fit in an egg, others to fit in a rectangle and some to fit in our collections.

RtasVadumee

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24] EmptyFri May 07, 2021 5:08 am

A woman of taste who has Tolkien on her shelf (and I'm sure he's very happy to be next to his buddy Lewis)

Safari 24
Yujin 15
Southlands 12
Mojo 14
Maia&Borges 5
Bullyland 1
Recur 1
Homemade 3
Bootleg 1
Total 582
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24] EmptyFri May 07, 2021 5:17 am

Very nice and rare catches. I really like the old stuff

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24] EmptyFri May 07, 2021 8:12 am

Thank you all!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] no geometry here, I am far too terrible at math - must be an ergonomic collection then, because I love being comfortable. Laughing I won't confine my collecting too strictly, at least not after I get a little more room!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] One of the best! (Two of the best, really - that shelf is my Top Tier favorites. Wink)
Back to top Go down
George

George

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24] EmptyFri May 07, 2021 8:24 am

I admit I moved out all my books to empty two bookcases for model horse space instead. Then got another *counts on fingers* nine model bookcases as well Laughing The only non-model-collectiony thing left IN the bedroom is the bed, and a chair I stand on to reach the highest shelves Shocked

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24]   Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24] Empty

Back to top Go down

Jill's (growing) Collection [update 3.17.24]
Page 1 of 20Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next