Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb)

Go down 
+17
thebritfarmer
costicuba
bmathison1972
pipsxlch
rogerpgvg
Joliezac
Bonnie
George
Kikimalou
spacelab
sunny
Ana
Caracal
RtasVadumee
Saarlooswolfhound
Roger
SUSANNE
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb)   General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb) - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 06, 2021 10:48 am

So many stunning Breyer additions- and as always I love how you take photos with these backgrounds, it makes the models even more realistic and really tempts me to start collecting myself! Laughing I sometimes wish that Breyer made some dogs again- the ones before were among some of the best models in plastic! Very Happy I'm so impressed that Breyer can continue to make different stablemates with so many different poses like these, whilst still maintaining their high standards- I would have thought that by now they would be short of ideas, but still they keep on producing these elegant models, I loved reading about the Isabella Palomino- so delicate! Very Happy And I love the detail of the speckles on the fox trotter- and good luck finding the last 70th anniversary model! bounce
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb)   General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb) - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 06, 2021 1:05 pm

Your Breyer are correct here or I can move them to Breyer section if it is convenient for you and if you want all your Breyer additions in a single topic. Though, you can use this topic for all your additions, it is litterally up to your personal preference.
I've read your blog entry and I learned a word - levade - I love words to describe poses. Wink
Your observations about the Arab are very interesting as well as the istorical project with obsolete colors.
Though, the set with two mares is really fun. We never know what two mares can do together. Wink
If it is a mistake influenced by an editing error on the Identify Your Breyer website, I think it is remarkable and shows the importance of the site.

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb)   General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb) - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 06, 2021 3:31 pm

They may as well stay here, I have as many non-Breyer as Breyer arrivals so it makes a nice contrast between model styles to see them all together.

Funnily enough, when I was riding horses I made a conscious choice to avoid using all the correct technical terms I'd read in books. Because I was taught a very casual and old-fashioned riding style by an old traveller horseman, and there was a big cultural divide between common people like us who just happened to have horses, and actual horsey people who were rich and posh and used their correctly taught language as a way to exclude the 'wrong' kind of horse folk. It was a way to look down and sneer and bully, to have their own secret language of properness, while we used old basic words and called things what they were. Many a time at horse shows we'd get mocked and sneered at for not being posh and correct, but it just made us laugh cos it's such a stupid petty thing to hold against someone. Surely a horse lover is a horse lover, and as long as the animals are looked after well and treated with kindness and respect, no one way is right or wrong. And my scruffy mixed breed old horse in unfashionable tack often beat the perfect modern clean ones in a race or jumping contest anyway Laughing
So I know all the right words, and I often use them in writing for clarity, but there's no way I'd use them in real life with the common horse owners I know!

Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb)   General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb) - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 06, 2021 9:17 pm

What a nice little herd! :) I do love that black mare's wide snip, that's an unusual marking for Breyer to use. The Darwin model is nice, that's another one I haven't seen up close in person yet. They're getting back into finer, delicate details again I feel like with the newer and newest wave of Stablemates, all the ones I never seen anywhere around here. Laughing

I feel like several of the family sets of yore were pairs of stallions and mares, just willy-nilly.
Back to top Go down
George

George

PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb)   General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb) - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 06, 2021 10:54 pm

Nowhere near me sells Breyer at all now, I went to the nearest toy shop on friday (I live in the country and very very rarely go into town, but had to for my covid jab, and thought I may as well make the most of being there to look for model horses!) and he's stopped stocking them cos they got too expensive. The next-nearest toy shop is over an hour away and even they didn't have much of the range - and nothing new - when I went there a few years ago, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd let them fizzle out as well. Thank goodness for online shopping!

pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb)   General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 07, 2021 3:27 am

I enjoy your observations on the modern Arab, at least here in the US. They no longer look, move, or behave like Arabs to me, but wannabe Saddlebreds. Such a crying shame.
For what it's worth our horses had a lot of Crabbet in them.
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb)   General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 07, 2021 8:46 am

Wonderful newcomers, congrats! Breyer stablemates are so cute. I like many of the new molds, for example, the Lipizzaner Very Happy I also like it when they miniaturize the bigger molds, it works great.

The light palomino stock horse looks lovely, one day I would like to attempt painting this shade of palomino. It's such a subtle tone. flower

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb)   General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 07, 2021 9:44 pm

Fantastic photos of your new Stablemates. The Missouri fox trotter and Lippizaner particularly stand out for me. I wasn't aware of the fox trotter sculpt. Unfortunately, it was sold out at Chestnut Ridge, hopefully I can find it at some point.

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb)   General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb) - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2021 1:50 pm

Lovely collection of Breyers,and some lovely models!

George

PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb)   General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb) - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2021 5:28 pm

I think the nice thing about Stablemates is that they're small and relatively cheap, it makes them very collectable and it's always fun getting hold of new ones. I especially enjoy getting new moulds, but I'm not into the rarity-and-value side of collecting so the various exclusive clubs and special runs don't appeal to me, I have to wait til each new mould trickles through to the regular run range, which means the anticipation builds up slowly compared to the people who can get their hands on these things early and satisfy the new-mould craving quickly! Laughing

George

George

PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb)   General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb) - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 26, 2021 7:01 pm

Yesterday I had some second hand Mojo Fun figures arrive - all models I had already got, but variations of paintwork rather than exact duplicates Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The cob mare in piebald. Curiously, this horse belonged to the friend of mine who introduced me to the Mojo brand in the first place, with the words 'Have you seen the Mojo cob mare? You NEED her!', and I had to go and look it up Laughing I have ordered my own brand new copy in the meantime, but it amuses me that the original one we were talking about has now come to live with me too.

Why both? Look at them together!

The markings had a redesign, somewhere between the production of these two mares, and although I liked the one I got, I'd always thought I'd like the other versions as well if I happened to see them come up for sale :)

The older version has hand-painted dark hooves, the new one has sprayed pale beige instead

Different face markings, too. My first one is named Precious, the new girl will be Pippi after a cob my horse made friends with over the fence this summer Laughing

Along with her came a pair of ponies...

The shetland mare in flaxen chestnut

And her matching foal

They make a very sweet pair!

Here's the pair I bought a while ago, in the old colour paintwork

Their colour isn't vastly different, but enough that I'll keep both - besides, I'd feel terrible painting over either of them, leaving one foal without it's real mum any more Laughing

Shetland family portrait time! Laughing

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb)   General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb) - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 26, 2021 7:53 pm

Congratulations

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb)   General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb) - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 26, 2021 9:59 pm

Lovely additions and the variations!

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb)   General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb) - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 26, 2021 11:55 pm

They look to me much more than just variations. Maybe the word is more adjusted to these Shetland moms. I love very much Anna's horses and when Mojö gives them some dignity in their paintings, they result really wonderful.

George

PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb)   General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb) - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 27, 2021 12:02 am

I know Mojo change the paintwork now and then for various different models, but I don't know what term you use for each new iteration. Version? Edition?
There's been three different marking styles for the cob mare (this is the one I don't have yet) since she was first released.
Would you like me to take a plain-background picture of each side for Toy Animal Wiki for the one I've got which is different to the one already on there?

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb)   General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb) - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 27, 2021 12:11 am

George wrote:
I know Mojo change the paintwork now and then for various different models, but I don't know what term you use for each new iteration. Version? Edition?
There's been three different marking styles for the cob mare (this is the one I don't have yet) since she was first released.
Would you like me to take a plain-background picture of each side for Toy Animal Wiki for the one I've got which is different to the one already on there?

Laughing As long as it preserves the same product number and designation, it is always a variation. It was not a lesson of terminology but some collectors use the word variation to minimal differences. When we spot a little difference from the same production run, it is surely different from when the painting layout is changed. I like the word version. When we find out which year it was changed, we can even call it as 2020 version or 2020 variation, for instance.
Yes, I would love if you could take a picture of that version not pictured on TAW. Thanks also for pointing me to it, I often tend to ignore variations but these are surely not to be ignored. Thanks! Very Happy

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb)   General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb) - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 27, 2021 11:23 am

Really interesting variations- and beautiful models! cheers cheers
I love those Shetlands-they're so sweet! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
George

George

PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb)   General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb) - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 27, 2021 4:25 pm

A little travelling companion to the Mojo models, but I hadn't had chance to get his photos sorted out yesterday.

This is the Stablemates Club special edition, called Florian.

For those who don't know Breyer, the whole exclusive club thing some people do is a bit complicated to explain. First they have to join the Collector's Club, for a yearly subscription fee, then they have to also join the Stablemates Club for another fee. Once they're in, they have to buy all six of the models which will be announced and released that year.
So it's basically subscription on top of subscription and you're stuck paying for models you might not even like - this means the horses very often end up being sold on the second hand market shortly afterwards, as people try to gain back a bit of the money they've laid out and pass along the horses they don't want for their collections.
And, just occasionally, the exclusive models end up bundles in mixed job lots on ebay, which is how this one made his way to my friend's home - but she didn't want to keep him so he got put aside into the growing pile reserved for me Laughing

I'm not really a fan of the glossy finish on models, the thick glassy coat of varnish which makes them look more like imitation china figurines than realistic horses, but the colour underneath it is just so striking and detailed, with all those intricate patches - I find I can forgive him for being so shiny when his pattern is so pretty!

The other side, showing his markings.

I have plenty of others on this mould, so it's nice to be able to tick off a rare one to add to the conga!

These two were also in the same parcel, but they're not really the kind of model this forum's aimed at (more for vintage/craft toy collectors than animal figure fans) so I'll just drop one photo in, and link to my blog post if you do fancy reading more about an unusual brand.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb)   General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb) - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 27, 2021 5:19 pm

Really lovely Mojos and breyer. That stablemate conga line is impressive!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb)   General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb) - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 27, 2021 5:49 pm

Congrats on the Florian!  What a great way to get such a rare model! He's lovely, and carries the glossy well, I think.

Those cob mares look great together. That's such a nice mold! I love the face and the movement of everything.

I love that roan Julip, it's really beautiful. The delicate head and the little lifted hind hoof.
Back to top Go down
George

George

PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb)   General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 28, 2021 8:00 pm

I think the mares must be sisters, or half-sisters at least. They'd make a good driving pair, perfect matched strides! Laughing

The Julip 'CJP' mould (Child's Jumping Pony) is one of the finest moulds they have, very slim legs. They have firm wires inside, so they can be posed and stay in position, so there's no worrying about the softness of rubber not supporting the weight if they have long fine legs instead of chunky strong ones

Taos

Taos

PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb)   General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb) - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 29, 2021 10:07 pm

Great stablemate conga!!I remember seeing the Julip horses many years ago-you hardly see them anymore now.

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb)   General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 30, 2021 3:05 am

Top Notch Pancakes! Laughing Applause
Back to top Go down
George

George

PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb)   General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb) - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 22, 2021 8:24 pm

Most of the new additions to my collection lately have been over in my painting topic, as they're newly finished customs rather than arrivals, but a little while ago my mum (having discovered online shopping, and particularly the joys of second hand stuff on Ebay!) offered to buy a model for my birthday.
It couldn't be a surprise, as she has no idea which ones I've got already or which were on my wishlist, but we browsed together so the choice could be one we both liked, and we settled on this lovely wildly-patterned spotted mule by Breyer.

His official name is Buckeye, and he was released a couple of years ago as a portrait of a real mule, who competes in dressage and with that flashy colour, gets attention wherever he goes. Seriously, a Google image search on 'buckeye dressage mule' supplies some amazing photos - he's got great paces, and he can't half jump!

The other side, which was harder to photograph cos I only had a very narrow sliver of sunlight to catch between the trees (and it's been raining every day since my birthday on thursday, so this was my first chance to get him out there in the sun at all!)

This sculpt is from the 1990s, a little rough round the edges compared to more recent Breyer models, but somehow on a mule it looks part of his charm, rather than a disappointing lack of polish as it would on a horse model. I have the previous spotted mule they made, too, but he's a very different colour and paintwork style, so they'll look great together on the shelf, rather than too similar to need both.

Look at those lonnnng ears! I've only ever met mules in passing, it's donkeys I've worked with, so I'm not really up on breeds or types, and have no idea about the genetics of their colouring when they're getting colours from two different species, so I need to read up a bit about that!

His masked markings are really nicely done, sometimes spots or intricate pinto patterns end up coming out flawed or smudged, but that's another advantage of buying second hand - you can be sure you're getting a really nice one with no quality control issues!

I don't have many mules in my collection, so he makes a very welcome addition to the Harecroft herd Very Happy

Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb)   General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb) - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 22, 2021 8:33 pm

Oh I am so jealous... happy birthday! What a great gift. I really need to grab a standard and stablemate size mule for myself, I really like the ones by Breyer. Congratulations!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb)   General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

General Additions thread - Mojo (4th feb)
Page 2 of 16Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next