Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Funrise cats 1990; please help me.

Go down 
+3
Roger
Jill
Bowhead Whale
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

Funrise cats 1990; please help me. Empty
PostSubject: Funrise cats 1990; please help me.   Funrise cats 1990; please help me. EmptyThu May 13, 2021 9:40 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Hi!
Today, since I found out yesterday that many toys were missing in the Funrise page, I took the liberty to add my Funrise 1988 Whooly Mammoth (in the Jurassic Age collection). I also photographed my brother's Funrise cats to put on TAW (because my brother has a collection of cat figures). Unfortunately, I also realised I had absolutely NO IDEA OF THE BREEDS REPRESENTED. So, I don't know where exactly to put them. I know they are from the 1990 Famous Cats collection, but that is all. Here are the pictures of the figures. Can anyone tell me please which breed each figure represents so I can put them on TAW, please?
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Funrise cats 1990; please help me.   Funrise cats 1990; please help me. EmptyThu May 13, 2021 11:14 pm

I happen to have the backcard saved from an ebay auction. Looks like the European Self Black, the Tabby Kitten, and the Turkish Cat. I like them!!

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Funrise cats 1990; please help me.   Funrise cats 1990; please help me. EmptyThu May 13, 2021 11:59 pm

This backcard is really useful but it is important to check what they have marked, these cats also come with a letter and the year, is it really 1990 or 1989? There are at least two series using the same moulds in different colors and sometimes different breeds.

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Funrise cats 1990; please help me.   Funrise cats 1990; please help me. EmptyFri May 14, 2021 4:28 pm

Yes,Roger is correct as I have some of these models but the colours/markings are different.

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Funrise cats 1990; please help me.   Funrise cats 1990; please help me. EmptyFri May 14, 2021 9:18 pm

Jill wrote:
I happen to have the backcard saved from an ebay auction. Looks like the European Self Black, the Tabby Kitten, and the Turkish Cat. I like them!!

Could we put this card on Toy Animal Info?
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Funrise cats 1990; please help me.   Funrise cats 1990; please help me. EmptyFri May 14, 2021 9:46 pm

HELP!HELP!HELP!!! I made mistakes on editing on Toy Animal Info: instead of linking pages, I ACCIDENTALLY CREATED CAT BREEDS BY TRYING TO PUT MY FUNRISE BLACK CAT IN THE TAXONOMY PAGE!!! In other words, each time I wanted to link my Funrise cat to its European Shorthair breed, A NEW BREED WAS CREATED. And now, TAI is full of breeds called "European Shorthair" and so.And I don't know how to DELETE those extra pages. HOW DO WE DELETE BREED PAGES????
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Funrise cats 1990; please help me.   Funrise cats 1990; please help me. EmptyFri May 14, 2021 10:16 pm

Bowhead Whale wrote:
HELP!HELP!HELP!!! I made mistakes on editing on Toy Animal Info: instead of linking pages, I ACCIDENTALLY CREATED CAT BREEDS BY TRYING TO PUT MY FUNRISE BLACK CAT IN THE TAXONOMY PAGE!!! In other words, each time I wanted to link my Funrise cat to its European Shorthair breed, A NEW BREED WAS CREATED. And now, TAI is full of breeds called "European Shorthair" and so.And I don't know how to DELETE those extra pages. HOW DO WE DELETE BREED PAGES????

I am not sure you have tools to delete pages. Anytime you need to do it, just ask me.
I think I fixed it. I corrected the breed link, I deleted the extra European shorthair cat page and a duplicate page of the cat and I fixed the link in the respective page breed.
Let me know if it is as you wish.
By the way, have you confirmed the year of the cat? I see the letter is correct once I have a different version of the same mould.
About the backcard picture, I think it is better to not use it on TAW because it is not from one of the editors or we don't have permission from the owner. I will add a link to this thread.

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Funrise cats 1990; please help me.   Funrise cats 1990; please help me. EmptyFri May 14, 2021 10:42 pm

Roger wrote:
Bowhead Whale wrote:

I am not sure you have tools to delete pages. Anytime you need to do it, just ask me.
I think I fixed it. I corrected the breed link, I deleted the extra European shorthair cat page and a duplicate page of the cat and I fixed the link in the respective page breed.
By the way, have you confirmed the year of the cat? I see the letter is correct once I have a different version of the same mould.
About the backcard picture, I think it is better to not use it on TAW because it is not from one of the editors or we don't have permission from the owner. I will add a link to this thread.

I will look for the tear. However, it seems the same molds were used both in 1989 and 1990. It often happens with many companies.

Thanks for helping me fixing my goofs. I am still learning how to work with a computer and let me tell you I don't always feel confident. I'm certainly not confident when I make mistakes like that. Thank you very much for your patience with the computer dummy I am sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Funrise cats 1990; please help me.   Funrise cats 1990; please help me. EmptyFri May 14, 2021 11:15 pm

Bowhead Whale wrote:
Roger wrote:
Bowhead Whale wrote:

I will look for the tear. However, it seems the same molds were used both in 1989 and 1990. It often happens with many companies.

Thanks for helping me fixing my goofs. I am still learning how to work with a computer and let me tell you I don't always feel confident. I'm certainly not confident when I make mistakes like that. Thank you very much for your patience with the computer dummy I am sometimes.

You're welcome and I have even more admiration for people like you that despite having difficulties using the computer, do everything to contribute to enrich the Toy Animal Wiki. About mistakes, they serve to make us learning, I am constantly making mistakes. Laughing

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Funrise cats 1990; please help me.   Funrise cats 1990; please help me. EmptyMon Jun 07, 2021 5:02 pm

I've found these cats and dogs on Toy Major website. Aren't they the same as Funrise as it happens with the horses? scratch

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Funrise cats 1990; please help me.   Funrise cats 1990; please help me. EmptyTue Jun 08, 2021 10:43 pm

Roger wrote:
I've found these cats and dogs on Toy Major website. Aren't they the same as Funrise as it happens with the horses? scratch

I'm not surprised. The Funrise Mammoth has the exact same mold as the Invicta Mammoth.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Funrise cats 1990; please help me.   Funrise cats 1990; please help me. EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 10:43 am

Bowhead Whale wrote:
Roger wrote:

I'm not surprised. The Funrise Mammoth has the exact same mold as the Invicta Mammoth.

This toy industry is like a spider web and everything seems to be connected.

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Funrise cats 1990; please help me.   Funrise cats 1990; please help me. EmptyThu Jun 10, 2021 9:09 pm

Roger wrote:
Bowhead Whale wrote:
Roger wrote:

This toy industry is like a spider web and everything seems to be connected.

Everyone copies everyone. Even when they don't use the same molds. When Safari ltd made a Carnotaurus and Bullyland made an Archeopteryx, well, Schleich decided to make a Carnotaurus and an Archeopteryx. When Bullyland made a Deinotherium and an Ammonite, Safari ltd decided to make an ammonite too and CollectA made a Deinotherium as well. Copy, copy, copy.
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Funrise cats 1990; please help me.   Funrise cats 1990; please help me. EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 3:35 pm

Competition by copying ideas is great for collectors, cos it means we get a choice of more than one model of a species/breed to choose our favourite from, or multiples to fill shelves with variety if we collect that way. I don't mind that we can see obvious 'oh, we should make one of those!' repeats from a different brand the year after someone else goes first, cos it just means more on the market for the end customer!

Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Funrise cats 1990; please help me.   Funrise cats 1990; please help me. EmptyMon Mar 07, 2022 9:11 pm

I found a few more of the cats! I was quite excited to get them because they seem to have a better paint job than many of the Funrise animals, or even many of the other cats I have seen pictures of. I am not sure if that's maybe because of when or how they were sold? Whatever the case, they look more like their backcard pictures than Funrise animals tend to. One distinct difference between these and the others in this thread is that their noses are red, except the Siamese and Russian Blue.

They do not have the breed stamped on them like horses, only Funrise, the year, China, and a letter. However, the seller included their backcards with the breed name. I can include images of those if they would be helpful. Mine are all stamped 1989.

Turkish Cat - A

European Calico - C
(Just as an example of what I mean by paint job variations, here is an image from ebay of the same model but with a much less precise paint job. Compared to the backcard above, mine is still not AS detailed, but I would say, much closer!)

Russian Blue - F

Siamese Lilac Point - I

Tabby Kitten - J
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

PostSubject: Re: Funrise cats 1990; please help me.   Funrise cats 1990; please help me. EmptyMon Mar 07, 2022 9:35 pm

Great additions.The cats themselves are quite nice models but the colouring is not the best!especially the Siamese which is a Seal/Chocolate point and definitely not a Lilac point!!The Russian Blue looks more like a Russian Black!!

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Funrise cats 1990; please help me.   Funrise cats 1990; please help me. EmptyMon Mar 07, 2022 9:38 pm

Taos wrote:
Great additions.The cats themselves are quite nice models but the colouring is not the best!especially the Siamese which is a Seal/Chocolate point and definitely not a Lilac point!!The Russian Blue looks more like a Russian Black!!
Hahaha, so it goes with Funrise, absolutely. I will give the Russian Blue a little bit of credit that is hard to see in the photo, there is a gradient from dark gray to lighter gray on the legs and belly, which for Funrise is - really premiere! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Funrise cats 1990; please help me.   Funrise cats 1990; please help me. EmptyTue Mar 08, 2022 12:14 am

I added them on TAW, the set is not complete yet but more than half now.
I really like these figures, I have the British Blue version of the Russian Blue that I got from Taylor.
By the way, Black Russian Blues are accepted in the United Kingdom, I don't know if they're called Russian Black. Laughing I only know that it is great that they give a greyish color to the Russian turning it distinct from the Blue color of the British version.
I also think the sitting cat you linked is probably the version that belongs to the other set with the British Blue. It doesn't look at all just a poor variation of your model.

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Funrise cats 1990; please help me.   Funrise cats 1990; please help me. EmptyTue Mar 08, 2022 12:26 am

Roger wrote:

I also think the sitting cat you linked is probably the version that belongs to the other set with the British Blue. It doesn't look at all just a poor variation of your model.
Interesting! Are the sets divided by year like the horses? I can't make much sense of the cats yet! I thought the ebay cat was probably only intended to be a Calico because of the orange and black color in roughly the same place on the hindquarters, just without any color on the head (like my Tabby vs. Bowhead Whale's Tabby). Maybe they made two different versions of the Calico?
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Funrise cats 1990; please help me.   Funrise cats 1990; please help me. EmptyTue Mar 08, 2022 1:00 am

Jill wrote:
Roger wrote:

Interesting! Are the sets divided by year like the horses? I can't make much sense of the cats yet! I thought the ebay cat was probably only intended to be a Calico because of the orange and black color in roughly the same place on the hindquarters, just without any color on the head (like my Tabby vs. Bowhead Whale's Tabby). Maybe they made two different versions of the Calico?

If you check on TAW, you can see a few from the other series and those names are not invented. They were sold much later with different colors and breed names, using leg tags like Schleich, though, they preserved the same letters and year marked on them. Aren't the ones from that sale of the sitting cat the variations I'm talking about? That lot has the British Blue, I guess. It is relatively affordable but being from UK the shipping will be high for you.
Edit: Now I noticed the condition is probably not the best. Wink

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Funrise cats 1990; please help me.   Funrise cats 1990; please help me. EmptyTue Mar 08, 2022 1:15 am

Roger wrote:

If you check on TAW, you can see a few from the other series and those names are not invented. They were sold much later with different colors and breed names, using leg tags like Schleich, though, they preserved the same letters and year marked on them. Aren't the ones from that sale of the sitting cat the variations I'm talking about? That lot has the British Blue, I guess. It is relatively affordable but being from UK the shipping will be high for you.
That lot seems to match the same set as my cats. The siamese, the Turkish, the tabby, the Russian blue, and the calico (if it is indeed the calico) are all in that lot. The others seem to be the biocolor Persian, the chinchilla Persian, the tortoiseshell Manx (the one that is more like a tiger color), the Abyssinian, and the European self black. So they all seem to be from the early set that mine are from, if I am looking at them correctly at least!

I haven't seen any from that newer set floating around yet! I see that they did the same thing with the dogs. Do we know anything about the missing ones from that set, if there are others?

My gut feeling is that UK lot is all part of the same original set, and Funrise just had widely variable paint jobs. I have seen a nicer looking Abyssinian out there as well, as compared to that one. But that is, at best, a guess and I don't know anything about how these sets were released.  

And yes, unfortunately I can't afford that lot because of the shipping, though I do have it watched on Ebay. Laughing Especially since I have half of it already!
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Funrise cats 1990; please help me.   Funrise cats 1990; please help me. EmptyTue Mar 08, 2022 7:01 pm

Jill wrote:
Roger wrote:

That lot seems to match the same set as my cats. The siamese, the Turkish, the tabby, the Russian blue, and the calico (if it is indeed the calico) are all in that lot. The others seem to be the biocolor Persian, the chinchilla Persian, the tortoiseshell Manx (the one that is more like a tiger color), the Abyssinian, and the European self black. So they all seem to be from the early set that mine are from, if I am looking at them correctly at least!

I haven't seen any from that newer set floating around yet! I see that they did the same thing with the dogs. Do we know anything about the missing ones from that set, if there are others?

My gut feeling is that UK lot is all part of the same original set, and Funrise just had widely variable paint jobs. I have seen a nicer looking Abyssinian out there as well, as compared to that one. But that is, at best, a guess and I don't know anything about how these sets were released.  

And yes, unfortunately I can't afford that lot because of the shipping, though I do have it watched on Ebay. Laughing Especially since I have half of it already!

I must study better these two sets again, I think [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] knows about it. I got my British Blue through a trade with him. If it is different from your Russian, I am sure Taylor won't be angry at me if I send it for you. You can also ask for my help anytime you need something from Europe but unfortunately this group of Funrise cats is from a very special part of the continent so shipping is also expensive for me, about 18 Euros plus 8 of import taxes.
Here is a bad picture of my cat with its original tag.

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Funrise cats 1990; please help me.   Funrise cats 1990; please help me. EmptyTue Mar 08, 2022 9:22 pm

OMG !!!! You found the Siamese kitty affraid cheers bounce cheers

Lillac- or chocolate point, it is a fantastic model.
Cats are generally curious, but Siamese are always looking out for something to stick their elegant noses into Laughing

The artist who hast made the models, must surely know Siamussies well I love you

Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Funrise cats 1990; please help me.   Funrise cats 1990; please help me. EmptyWed Mar 09, 2022 12:13 am

Roger wrote:

I must study better these two sets again, I think [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] knows about it. I got my British Blue through a trade with him. If it is different from your Russian, I am sure Taylor won't be angry at me if I send it for you. You can also ask for my help anytime you need something from Europe but unfortunately this group of Funrise cats is from a very special part of the continent so shipping is also expensive for me, about 18 Euros plus 8 of import taxes.
That one is different from mine, it looks like it is in the same mold as the "European self black" whereas my Russian Blue has a lifted tail and is looking forward. Do you know when that newer series was released? The paint jobs on them seem nicer in general. (I understand about the shipping of course!  pale They will turn up again somewhere else, I am sure.)

SUSANNE wrote:
OMG !!!! You found the Siamese kitty affraid cheers bounce cheers

Lillac- or chocolate point, it is a fantastic model.
Cats are generally curious, but Siamese are always looking out for something to stick their elegant noses into Laughing

The artist who hast made the models, must surely know Siamussies well I love you
Haha, the backcard for the siamese specifies that they are "lively, many are intrusive, and some are mischievous." Razz It's definitely more chocolate or seal point, and in fact is the exact same color as the seal point Balinese on the backcard. This siamese in particular is really nice, others I have seen pictures have do not have much color on the legs or face at all. They even remembered the blue eyes.
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

PostSubject: Re: Funrise cats 1990; please help me.   Funrise cats 1990; please help me. EmptyWed Mar 09, 2022 11:57 am

Just looking at my Funrise cats,I think I have the later models- Turkish Van cat I have is a short haired ginger tabby and the self black Persian I have is a Tabby.

PostSubject: Re: Funrise cats 1990; please help me.   Funrise cats 1990; please help me. Empty

Back to top Go down

Funrise cats 1990; please help me.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next