Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mathison Museum of Natural History

Go down 
+17
Birdsage
Bonnie
Saarlooswolfhound
widukind
Joliezac
spacelab
Pardofelis
landrover
Megaptera
lucky luke
rogerpgvg
Jill
George
pipsxlch
Duck-Anch-Amun
Kikimalou
Roger
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 9 EmptySat Jul 03, 2021 3:03 pm

cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 9 EmptySun Jul 04, 2021 12:59 pm

Species: Heterixalus rutenbergi (Boettger, 1881) (Rutenberg's reed frog)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Colorata
Series: Tropical Rain Forest Frogs
Year of Release: 2019 (2005)
Size/Scale: Base 9.0 cm long. Body length 3.3 cm for a scale of 1.3:1
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Unique
Miscellaneous Notes: My figure is from the 2019 release of the collection; the original figure is from 2005. The frog is not removable from its leaf base.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Central and eastern Madagascar
Habitat: Tropical grassland, freshwater marshes, agricultural land
Diet: Insects and other arthropods
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Least Concern
Miscellaneous Notes: Although classified as 'Least Concern' by the IUCN, H. rutenbergi is threatened by habitat loss. It is an adaptable species, however, and can colonize well-irrigated agricultural lands, including arable land.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 9 EmptySun Jul 04, 2021 1:40 pm

Beautiful frog and photo!

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 9 EmptySun Jul 04, 2021 4:19 pm

rogerpgvg wrote:
Beautiful frog and photo!

cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 9 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2021 12:53 pm

Species: Dunckerocampus dactyliophorus (Bleeker, 1853) (banded pipefish; ringed pipefish)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Cadbury
Series: Yowies Series 3
Year of Release: 1999
Size/Scale: Body length 11.0 cm for a scale of 1:1.7
Miscellaneous Notes: Being one of the original Yowies figures from Australia, some assembly is required.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Indo-Pacific
Habitat: Coral reefs, tide pools, and lagoons at depths of 5-56 meters
Diet: Marine invertebrates
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Data Deficient
Miscellaneous Notes: Like with other seahorses, it is the male of D. dactyliophorus that is equipped with a brood pouch and cares for the developing eggs.

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 9 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2021 2:28 pm

I am not too much into fishes but Syngnathiformes are surely my favorite.
It is not a surprise once the sea horse is one of the symbols of my homeland and it was a common sight for me.
Pipefish are really rare in toy shape, Yowies, as one of the kings of diversity fortunately provided this interesting species that you presented perfectly as usual.

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 9 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2021 5:39 pm

Nice Doryrhamphus, one of the most colorful species of Gasterosteiformes. I'm surprised that the figure is more realistic than most Australian Yowies.

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 9 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2021 6:24 pm

A interesting fish but Yowies are very toyish. But this figure looks more realsitic, or isnt it?

Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 9 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2021 12:54 pm

Species: Beckius beccarii (Gestro, 1876)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: DeAgostini
Series: World Insect Data Book
Year of Release: unknown
Size/Scale: Body length (excluding horns) 5.0 cm, within scale 1:1
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Very rare
Miscellaneous Notes: The DeAgostini figures are cast from actual specimens and are therefore all in the 1:1 range. The figures were sold as premiums with books and come in a plastic display box with their Latin and Japanese names. I am not sure what year the figures were released, and it is possible they were released over multiple years. The original set from Japan consisted of 60 species (59 male Scarabaeoidea and one dragonfly), plus four 'secret' figures representing females of select scarab males. When the set was released in Italy, three of the standard set were replaced with other species, including a leaf insect. Between the two releases and secrets, I think there are 67 figures total representing 63 species. The figures are secured to the base of the box with a small screw, but can be safely removed if one choses to display them outside of the box. The only other figure of B. beccarii I am familiar with is by Sega.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: New Guinea
Habitat: Rainforests
Diet: Presumably, larvae feed in decaying wood or similar substrate; adults attracted to sap flows and overripe fruit
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Not Evaluated
Miscellaneous Notes: I had a very hard time researching anything on the biology of this genus or species; the comments above are based on other members of the tribe Dynastini.

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 9 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2021 5:32 pm

cheers cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 9 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2021 6:58 pm

I was always uncomfortable with that childrens' magazine series which had real specimens in resin, ('You like insects? Here, we killed thousands for you!' Shocked Evil or Very Mad ) but giving cast models of each species instead is such an improvement. Lifelike and accurate and educational, without the huge waste of life involved in production [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 9 EmptyWed Jul 07, 2021 12:47 pm

Species: Parnassius eversmanni Ménétries, 1849 (Eversmann's parnassian)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Kaiyodo
Series: Natural Monuments of Japan
Year of Release: 2002
Size/Scale: Wingspan 6.0 cm, slightly over 1:1 scale for a large specimen
Miscellaneous Notes: The figure is removable from its habitat-style base, to which it attached with a clear acrylic rod.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Russia, Mongolia, Japan, Alaska, and Canada (Yukon)
Habitat: Alpine shrubland and woodlands, alpine meadows, tundra, riparian areas; often at high elevations
Diet: Larvae feed on plants in the genus Corydalis; adults take nectar from flowers
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Least Concern (globally); in North America, has a NatureServe status of Secure.
Miscellaneous Notes: Parnassius eversmanni is extremely variable throughout its range, resulting in the description of several subspecies and making field identification difficult. Since this figure was part of a set focusing on the fauna of Japan, it probably represents the subspecies P. e. daisetsuzanus.

Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 9 EmptyThu Jul 08, 2021 12:04 am

Beautiful model and display! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 9 EmptyThu Jul 08, 2021 8:22 am

Nice again

Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 9 EmptyThu Jul 08, 2021 12:48 pm

Species: Melophagus ovinus (Linnaeus, 1758) (sheep ked)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: unknown
Series: unknown
Size/Scale: Body length 7.5 cm for a scale of 18.75:1-10.7:1
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Very rare
Miscellaneous Notes: I know nothing about this figure; I bought it in a dollar store in the early 2000s. It is of vintage style and I wouldn't be surprised if the sculpt is from the 1970s or earlier. Nowadays they show up primarily in cheap dollar store sets. I stopped collecting cheap 'chinabugs' but as a professional parasitologist, I could never pass on an ectoparasite, even if it's not a human parasite. I have seen one other figure of this species, much smaller and also vintage, and probably based on the Creepy Crawly Thingmaker toy set.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Native to Europe, North Africa, Central Asia; introduced to much of the rest of the world wherever sheep are raised
Habitat: Obligate ectoparasite on sheep (Ovis aries), but also wild ungulates, rabbits, and wild and domestic canids
Diet: Larvae feed on secretions provided by the female parent; adults feed on the blood of its host.
Miscellaneous Notes: A female M. ovinus produces one larva at a time and may produce upwards of 20 larvae in her lifetime. The larva remains within the mother until it is ready to pupate, feeding on secretions produced in the uterus. The mature larva forms a puparium which is deposited by the mother on the wool of the sheep, attaching it with a glue-like substance. The pupa hatches after 2-3 weeks, slightly longer in the winter. The sheep ked spends its entire life on the host and is transmitted from host to host via physical contact between the hosts.

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 9 EmptyThu Jul 08, 2021 1:10 pm

Oh, I thought it was a tick but as you haven't mentioned the wrong number of legs, I decided to check and it is a fly! Shocked Thus, the number of legs is obviously correct. It is quite surprising a Chinabug maker decided to release such a creature, even for a creepy crawler set it is not expectable at all. Sometimes I love my ignorance, if I was not aware of it, I'd keep convinced it was a tick with the wrong number of legs instead of learning that some flies can assume really unusual shapes.

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 9 EmptyThu Jul 08, 2021 6:26 pm

A china figure in the kind that i like

Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 9 EmptyFri Jul 09, 2021 12:50 pm

Species: Chalcosoma chiron (Olivier, 1789) (Caucasus beetle)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Sega
Series: Mushi King, standard series, small
Size/Scale: Body length (including cephalic horn) 6.0 cm, for a scale of 1:1.5-1:2
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Common
Miscellaneous Notes: Chalcosoma chiron is another 'standard' among the Japanese manufacturers. Most are sold under the synonym, C. caucasus. The Sega 'small standard series' were 10 sets of 10 figures each, for a total of 100 figures representing roughly 75 species of Lucanidae and dynastine Scarabaeidae. The dates of release are currently unknown to me (c. 2008). The figures were produced in conjunction with Bandai and came with Pokemon-style playing cards. At the time of this writing, I think I have all but two of the species. For a review of the sets, please see here.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia
Habitat: Rainforests
Diet: Larvae feed in decaying wood and detritus; adults feed on tree sap
Miscellaneous Notes: Like many large scarabaeid beetles, especially those among the Dynastinae, C. chiron has marked sexual dimorphism. In addition to lacking cephalic and pronotal horns, females have a smaller body and a velvety texture to the elytra due to the presence of dense, small setae (hairs).

Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 9 EmptySat Jul 10, 2021 12:43 pm

Species: Lophochroa leadbeateri (Vigors, 1831) (Major Mitchell's cockatoo; Leadbeater's cockatoo; pink cockatoo)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Play Visions
Series: Parrots & Cockatoos
Year of Release: 1996
Size/Scale: Body length 5.8 cm for a scale of 1:6-1:7
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Rare
Miscellaneous Notes: Of the few figures made of this species, I don't think any are in production anymore. This figure is a holdover from my early animal-collecting days; I might replace it if it gets made again by another company, maybe in the Safari Wings of the World collection.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Australia
Habitat: Arid and semi-arid scrublands, woodlands, and savanna
Diet: Seeds, nuts, grains, fruits, tubers
Miscellaneous Notes: Lophochroa leadbeateri forages in open arid scrubby areas, but requires forested habitats for nesting. It is a cavity nesting species and requires tall, hollow trees to nest in, usually Eucalyptus and preferably near water. A female will lay 2-5 eggs a season, usually at an interval of one egg every 2-3 days. Incubation lasts approximately 3-4 weeks and the chicks remain in the next for 6-8 weeks before they fledge.

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 9 EmptySat Jul 10, 2021 1:43 pm

cheers cheers cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 9 EmptySat Jul 10, 2021 5:07 pm

A very beautiful bird, congrats. The insects are nice too, species I wasn't aware of!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 9 EmptySun Jul 11, 2021 1:23 pm

Species: Macropus giganteus Shaw, 1790 (eastern grey kangaroo)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Southlands Replicas
Series: Australian Animals
Year of Release: 2017
Size/Scale: Figure length 12.0 cm. Measured along spine, body length 14.5 cm for a scale of 1:10-1:12.5
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Uncommon
Miscellaneous Notes: This species is not nearly as common in toy/figure form as its cousin the red kangaroo (M rufus), having rarely, if ever, been tackled by any modern company outside of Japan or Australia.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Eastern Australia
Habitat: Open woodlands, forested mountains, subtropical forests, grasslands, semi-arid areas, coastal areas
Diet: Grasses, forbs
Miscellaneous Notes: There are two subspecies of M. giganteus: the nominate M. g. giganteus, which occurs on mainland Australia, and M. g. tasmaniensis which occurs on Tasmania. A related species, the western grey kangaroo (M. fuliginosus) occurs throughout much of southern Australia. The two species overlap in the Murray-Darling Basin area, but do not interbreed in the wild.

Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 9 EmptySun Jul 11, 2021 2:36 pm

A lovely realistic kangaroo from this wonderful brand! cheers
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 9 EmptySun Jul 11, 2021 6:04 pm

Bonnie wrote:
A lovely realistic kangaroo from this wonderful brand! cheers

I agree

Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 9 EmptySun Jul 11, 2021 8:35 pm

Yes, great running pose!

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 9 Empty

Back to top Go down

Mathison Museum of Natural History
Page 9 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next