Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Lana Toys/Mr.Z

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jennypurr

Country/State : Tennessee, USA

Lana Toys/Mr.Z Empty
PostSubject: Lana Toys/Mr.Z   Lana Toys/Mr.Z EmptySat Jun 19, 2021 10:15 am

I saw an unfamiliar horse model on amazon.com.  It's very intriguing; a 1:6 scale Arabian with "real" mane and tail.  There's several different colors (black, brown, pinto, red/chestnut, and white) and you can chose to get one with or without harness (English tack); without is cheaper than with.  I'm mystified; I tried to look up the company on toy animal wiki, but there's no listing.  Does anyone know of Lana Toys?
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

Lana Toys/Mr.Z Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lana Toys/Mr.Z   Lana Toys/Mr.Z EmptySat Jun 19, 2021 1:08 pm

Mr. Z are resin figures i believe

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

Lana Toys/Mr.Z Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lana Toys/Mr.Z   Lana Toys/Mr.Z EmptySat Jun 19, 2021 2:42 pm

If you look on ebay.com and search 'mr z horse' you'll see there's quite a few different moulds, not just the arabian. Some are better than others, I think they've improved over the years as I remember being less impressed when I first checked them out years ago, while the newer moulds have a much better take on breeds' conformation, and less areas of odd anatomy. The running Mongolian is my favourite and the shetland pony is lovely!

Though I've never handled one to know the weight and solidity, they seem to be reasonably well made, without horrible seam lines or moulding flaws, mostly very decent sculpts which would compete with artist resins, and they have some unusual detailing - a fine hair texture in the moulding which catches the light and makes a proper summer-coat healthy sheen, and looks different from different angles, and of course the soft hair which you could style neat or ragged or windblown to suit your scene.
The tack, though, is rather basic and not very well made, studs and bad stitching rather than buckles and keepers, bright nylon badly hemmed, some dodgy decisions on how and where to attach straps - closer to Breyer catalogue than anything a hobbyist maker would be happy to produce and sell.

At that scale they must be your best option if you're setting up a doll diorama that needs a horse : a hundred times better than Barbie horse shaped objects, an aesthetic and anatomical improvement on Action Man horses, more detail and quality than Marx. And they look serious and sensible enough to come out of 'toy' category and be used in military modelling, these wouldn't look remotely out of place in a museum-quality diorama.

But they're not brilliant for the price they're asking, upwards of $170 each for the horse-sized models. Some of the colours look fairly flat in the production runs rather than the lovely artist-finished prototypes they use for the catalogue pictures (like those mongolian horses I linked), and lack shading and realistic detailing to the faces and hooves. Even regular run Breyers outshine them in terms of paintwork, which is such a shame when they've got the very best moulds at that bigger scale, but let them down by such lacklustre painting.

In short, I like them, but not enough to want to spend all that (plus shipping and £25+ import/handling fees) to get one Laughing

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

Lana Toys/Mr.Z Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lana Toys/Mr.Z   Lana Toys/Mr.Z EmptySat Jun 19, 2021 5:33 pm

I don't have too much to add, just quoting MR.Z FB profile:
"Welcome to MR.Z workshop, I make real series 1/6th scale of dogs and horses. Looking forward to making new friends with my work.Hope you like them."

Lana Toys seems to be a shop, not a brand. Maybe Lana is short for Svetlana. Wink

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

Lana Toys/Mr.Z Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lana Toys/Mr.Z   Lana Toys/Mr.Z EmptySat Jun 19, 2021 7:49 pm

One time I had a chance to hold a Mr. Z Shire horse model. It's really huge, the size of a (real) Jack Russel terrier Laughing Also it's full cast so it's heavy Very Happy Great details, nice paintwork.
I would say the quality of MR Z models is really nice! As for Lana, I've never heard of them before.

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Sponsored content

Lana Toys/Mr.Z Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lana Toys/Mr.Z   Lana Toys/Mr.Z Empty

Back to top Go down

Lana Toys/Mr.Z
Page 1 of 1