Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!

Go down 
+19
rogerpgvg
SUSANNE
Roger
Jill
pipsxlch
Stripedhyena
costicuba
Kikimalou
Joliezac
Caracal
RtasVadumee
Pardofelis
bmathison1972
Saarlooswolfhound
landrover
George
Bonnie
widukind
spacelab
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 23, 2021 1:34 am

I want the Colorata Giant Anteater too. sunny sunny

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 23, 2021 10:44 am

Eikoh released a Southern tamandua instead of a giant anteater, a wise decision in my opinion, not only because it is a less common species but also because it works better with their Miniatureplanet design concept were all figures have similar sizes regardless of the species represented. It was released in 2015, two years after Mojö's model presenting a smaller alternative to those who find the Mojö Fun too large. Obviously Eikoh didn't take it in account because these two companies do not share the same market.
When presenting the Mojö model, I will show a comparison picture with these two.
Figure is 82 mm long and it is aproximately 45 mm without the tail. Considering Wikipedia measurements and the huge variability in size for Southern tamanduas, this figure can be used through a large array of scales, from 1/8 to 1/19.
Thus, if I follow with my 1/15 scale project, this will be my tamandua representative because Mojö's is too large for it.
Eikoh does not specify if it is a Southern or a Northern tamandua and it is very hard to distinguish these two species. I think it could be used for any of them. Though, tamanduas are very different from giant anteaters, from a shorter rrostrum, a completely different and less hairy tail and obviously, a much smaller size. They also present this kind of dark vest while giant anteaters hav an obliquous black narrow patch bordered in white.
It is very fun to see the posture these creatures adopt when treatened, a pose perfectly represented by Kaiyodo in 2016 as we can see on TAW. I don't have these figures unfortunately and I am linking this particular color to show how variable these animals are in this regard.
Running away is never an option to these animals, they're not able of galloping as giant anteaters do but both species have very long claws that can cause serious damage into their rivals.
This figure was a gift from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]! cat

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Here a comparison picture with Schleich jaguar, armadillo and squirrel monkey, Safari Capibara and Papo sloth.

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 23, 2021 5:35 pm

Nice figure too

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 23, 2021 6:08 pm

A lovely Eikoh model and lovely species too! Very Happy It was also interesting to read all your comments on this figure! cheers
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 24, 2021 10:39 am

Elastolin is represented in my collection with this large composition figure.  I don't know how many anteaters Elastolin released but you can see a 54 mm plastic model on TAW.
It was released in 1940 and it was available until the giant leap for mankind.
Thus, it is a 80 years design!
That's a very long figure, aproximately 14 cm and head + body along the spine is about 9 cm. As observed earlier, it is not easy to calculate the scale of a giant anteater. 1:12 is probably the best option but if we use other measurements, we will have a wide range of scales to work with.
Later on this topic I will try to remember to show a comparison picture with the main rival of its era.

Here is again Schleich squirrel monkey showing the size. monkey

spacelab

Country/State : Greece

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 24, 2021 11:02 am

What is great about having a sub-collection into a collection, is that you can accept models that lack the realism for a species collection but are irresistible and most of the times most wanted than a perfect replica of the animal.
I think this anteater goes to this category, it's definitely a very tempting and awesome vintage model. Very good condition for such an old figure too!
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 24, 2021 12:20 pm

Wow, a run time of 80 years! cheers I can see why though, what a lovely vintage figure! Very Happy And I completely agree with what Kostas said, and I find this with collecting dogs too, because you are focusing more on species than the best of a brand you can discover so many other models that are wonderful, even if they aren't as realistic as some! cheers
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 24, 2021 3:47 pm

More excellent ant eating friends. Very Happy The eikoh, unsurprisingly, is a nice model.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 24, 2021 4:31 pm

For 80 years not bad

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 24, 2021 4:31 pm

Roger wrote:

Here a comparison picture with Schleich jaguar, armadillo and squirrel monkey, Safari Capibara and Papo sloth.

I like this pic a lot.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 24, 2021 7:34 pm

Thanks everyone! Here a picture showing the Elastolin anteater together with the pangolin! Both composition models.

spacelab wrote:
What is great about having a sub-collection into a collection, is that you can accept models that lack the realism for a species collection but are irresistible and most of the times most wanted than a perfect replica of the animal.
I think this anteater goes to this category, it's definitely a very tempting and awesome vintage model. Very good condition for such an old figure too!

Yes, you nailed it perfectly. My interest for the history of this hobby is also relevant but the collection of foxes is more illustrative once it is a more common species.
What giant anteaters bring in a very distinctive way is that being a bizarre looking animal that sculptors were not very used with them, it is interesting to enjoy each interpretation. These vintage models, when it was not so easy to find pictures of these animals, show that often sculptors got their designs influenced by other best known animals.
Cropping the extremities of the anteater picture, this body reminds me a lot a few vintage bear figures. Not exactly the same but at a certain point, it looks like a bear with a tubular head, a crest and a large tail.
It is even more interesting if we think it is a German figure and giant anteater in Deutsch is Ameisenbär, what means ant bear if I am not wrong. In Spanish language it is also known as oso hormiguero what means more or less ant nest bear.

bmathison1972 wrote:
Roger wrote:

I like this pic a lot.

I am glad it is useful, I will provide more pictures like these when presenting realistic renditions from major brands.

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 24, 2021 9:19 pm

Great to see this oldie. It doesn't have to be fully realistic to be beautiful. After all, Van Gogh's paintings aren't fully realistic and many people think they are beautiful. It's very interesting to see the history of toy anteaters. When you have introduced all your anteaters, I wonder whether it may be interesting to line them up by year of release to see whether we can detect any patterns.

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 24, 2021 11:41 pm

Hausser Elastolin 54mm Giant Anteater. It seems my collection of anteaters is not so well documented as my collection of foxes. I thought I didn't have the smaller plastic version of the Hausser anteater but here it is.
As today is Elastolin's day, I didn't want to wait for tomorrow to show it.
This figure was released in 1960's, at least this is what we can find on TAW. Thus, more than 20 years after the composition model. Fortunately not just a smaller version of the older model, this one has a more dynamic pose and generally a better sculpt.Though, it preserved the identity of the earlier model.

54 mm means that these figures are made to work at the same scale as human figures 54 mm tall. It is exactly the same as talking about 1:32 scale, the same Britains Ltd used to make its range of Zoo animals.
If we think that modern companies, those Schleich like, are not always coerent with the size of their figures, take a look at this picture comparing the Hausser and the Britains models.

Hausser model is 73 mm long, aproximately 55 mm if we only take in consideratiion head + body. Even using generous measurements Roger provided, it seems a little large for 1:32 scale I'd say 1:24 scale would work better but I am concluding that calculating the scale of a giant anteater is not such a simple task.

Here is a comparison picture with the earlier composition model.

rogerpgvg wrote:
Great to see this oldie. It doesn't have to be fully realistic to be beautiful. After all, Van Gogh's paintings aren't fully realistic and many people think they are beautiful. It's very interesting to see the history of toy anteaters. When you have introduced all your anteaters, I wonder whether it may be interesting to line them up by year of release to see whether we can detect any patterns.

You're absolutely right and anteaters are perfect for all artistic expressions. My collection is not that big but I will try to remember it and try to find if there are any tendencies through the years.

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 25, 2021 10:24 am

Another wonderful anteater and it's really interesting to read how the sculpts of this species have changed over time, and seeing how the first Elastolin model had a body like a bear! study
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 25, 2021 11:40 am

The comparison of the Hausser Elastolin 54 mm and the Britains anteaters is interesting, because they were made in the same period (HE late 1960s-1983, Britains 1965-1985). The Britains is more realistic, I think. It's as if HE was still influenced by their earlier composition model.

The HEs have their front feet pointing forward (like bears), whereas real anteaters have backward pointing claws. The Britains doesn't have claws, but this is a detail that would have been hard to show in such a small model; at least the feet aren't clearly pointing forward. The HEs also have their tail up and it's quite thin. Perhaps not impossible, but not typical for anteaters. It's going to be interesting to see how this compares with anteaters from other vintage companies.

If an anteater's total length can indeed be 282 cm, then the HE would be 1:32 scale, but I think you are right to be sceptical.

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 25, 2021 12:22 pm

Hong Kong marked animals ploriferated during 1970's. Often inspired in models from known brands. It is not easy to tell what they are in fact, this kind of figures are regularly debated onf forum but it is not easy to sort them in brands or manufacturers. So, we just know them as Hong Kong figures.
I have these three, if anyone knows anything about these figures, please let me know.
They're small figures, originally made to fit with 1:32 scale models.
I don't have their brothers from Playspaces Prior or RAE.
First two figures are color variations of the same sculpt or at least almost identical. 3rd figure is a different model.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is not marked, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is marked HONG KONG and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is marked MADE IN HONG KNO
Interesting is also their difference of weight, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] weighs 4g, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] weighs 5g and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] weighs 7g. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is a larger figure so it is natural but interesting to find difference in weights between [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] what shows that they're made with materials of different density.

About their sizes, First models are 69 mm long while the last model is 73 mm long.
It means the third model is the same size of the Hausser, so Roger, you can use all of these as 1:32 scale. Apparently only Britains didn't use extreme lengths to represent this animal.
It is also weird how these figures were painted. If the first two follow a similar layout, the larger model is almost painted like a ratel. scratch
Sure the Britains is the most realistic among all of these for the reasons Roger pointed, namely the knuckling front paws that are often uncorrectly represented  but proportions are also better on Britains model. For example, the Elastolin figure has a very long body for such a discreet tail. It is good to remember that these animals cover their body with their tails when sleeping, something the Hausser can't do. Laughing

Here a comparison of the Hong Kong [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] model with the Britains.

Also, a picture of the Hong Kong [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] model with the Hausser Elastolin 54 mm.

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 25, 2021 4:49 pm

Hong Kong number 3 is not bad

Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 25, 2021 7:11 pm

These are really interesting figures, I never knew that Hong Kong companies made this species! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 25, 2021 9:14 pm

These Hong Kong figures are quite important in the history of animal figures. Many children grew up with them. The Hong Kong figures were often copies of British companies, especially Britains, but it's interesting that this anteater isn't a copy (I think?). They seem Elastolin inspired, especially their tails.

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 25, 2021 11:35 pm

Thanks Andreas, Bonnie and Roger! I agree about the importance of these Hong Konk toys and I think there is more variability between HK anteater figures than what we usually see in other species. I agree, they seem to be Elastolin inspired as it happened with many composition anteaters many years before. Tomorrow I will show a completely different vintage design.

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 26, 2021 2:37 pm

Lineol's IV generation is kknown for having the most realistic models of the composition era.
I think the giant anteater is no exception. This model has a design completely different from all other vintage figures and the pose with the head high up is really nice. It was released in 1940 with the catalogue number 687.
This model is aproximately 13 cm long, around 7 cm, head and body.  Lineol figures are usually around 1:18 - 1:20 scale and 1:18 seems to fit.

Here a comparison with the Elastolin rival. Wink

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 26, 2021 4:34 pm

Wow, that Lineal model is definitely a must have, what a beautiful anteater! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 26, 2021 4:34 pm

The grandfathers of animal figures

Back to top Go down
spacelab

spacelab

Country/State : Greece

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 26, 2021 5:26 pm

Very pretty!
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 26, 2021 6:16 pm

I am loving this topic! The old models are so great too, much more interesting than many of the modern ones.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!
Page 2 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next