Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Southern Gray Treefrog Found in my Basement? *Update*

Go down 
+3
Saarlooswolfhound
widukind
Joliezac
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

Southern Gray Treefrog Found in my Basement? *Update* Empty
PostSubject: Southern Gray Treefrog Found in my Basement? *Update*   Southern Gray Treefrog Found in my Basement? *Update* EmptyThu 14 Oct 2021 - 16:24

My father left me a note this morning when I woke up that he found this little treefrog on the floor of our basement scratch scratch We have no idea how it got there but after some research I believe it to be a Southern gray treefrog (also known as Cope's gray treefrog). These are apparently endangered in New Jersey.

Normally we would release the animal back where we found it, but I just don't know where that is. We live on the water and there is no forest for another 15-20 minutes, so I doubt it came from somewhere in our yard. I know they like tall trees and need ponds, so I was thinking of taking the frog to a creek 15 minutes away that runs all year and has many large puddles around it.

I have 2 pictures of the little guy but I didn't want to handle him too much and stress it out, I did feed it 2 baby Dubia roaches I have for my bearded dragon though and it ate them no problem. For now I just have it in a clean bin and its just resting in the corner. It doesn't seem to be injured in any way.

Any advice on what I should do? I thought bringing it to the creek would be the best option. I have cared for countless Fowler's toads in the past but I would like to release this frog because I don't have experience with treefrogs and I really can't be taking in another animal right now.

Sorry if this is off topic I thought I would just ask for some advice to make the best decision.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Animal Ark Website

Last edited by Joliezac on Thu 14 Oct 2021 - 22:46; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Southern Gray Treefrog Found in my Basement? *Update*   Southern Gray Treefrog Found in my Basement? *Update* EmptyThu 14 Oct 2021 - 17:19

Cute

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Southern Gray Treefrog Found in my Basement? *Update*   Southern Gray Treefrog Found in my Basement? *Update* EmptyThu 14 Oct 2021 - 17:24

I'm not an expert, especially for amphibians, but I think your plan sounds fine to me. The nearby creek is probably where he came from and he wandered a bit far. Great photos and a fun experience!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Southern Gray Treefrog Found in my Basement? *Update*   Southern Gray Treefrog Found in my Basement? *Update* EmptyThu 14 Oct 2021 - 18:24

I'd agree, taking him to the closest local safe and reasonably appropriate spot would be the best option - even if you don't manage to release him in a spot exactly perfect for where he'd want to settle in and live, if he's already wandered far enough to end up in your basement, then there's nothing stopping him from having another little roam around from the release spot til he ends up just where he wants to be.

Joliezac

Joliezac

PostSubject: Re: Southern Gray Treefrog Found in my Basement? *Update*   Southern Gray Treefrog Found in my Basement? *Update* EmptyThu 14 Oct 2021 - 18:46

Thank you for your advice Very Happy

I'll take him to the creek when I pick up my sister from school and try to find a tree hole or open log to release him

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Southern Gray Treefrog Found in my Basement? *Update*   Southern Gray Treefrog Found in my Basement? *Update* EmptyThu 14 Oct 2021 - 19:59

What a wonderful experience, and such a sweet treefrog! I love you Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll do the right thing, I don't want to give any wrong advice! [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] has lots of knowledge about this sort of thing! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Southern Gray Treefrog Found in my Basement? *Update*   Southern Gray Treefrog Found in my Basement? *Update* EmptyThu 14 Oct 2021 - 22:35

That's such a beautiful animal. I believe also that Jill is the best person to give you good recomendations.
You probably already checked this page. Idea

Joliezac

PostSubject: Re: Southern Gray Treefrog Found in my Basement? *Update*   Southern Gray Treefrog Found in my Basement? *Update* EmptyThu 14 Oct 2021 - 22:45

Update  Very Happy

I decided to drive to a local park and I dropped him off at the creek where I often take photos. I found a tree with some loose bark and held it up to the tree and the little guy jumped right onto the tree and wiggled under the bark. There is lots of water, bogs, marsh, and trees so I hope it will be a good place for it. There are lots of toads and bullfrogs in the area so I'm sure there are plenty of treefrogs too. It also had quite the snack of 2 little roaches so I'm sure it will be just fine tonight when he leaves the tree to explore  cheers

I still have absolutely no idea how it got into our basement, there isn't a single tree on our block!  scratch  scratch

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Southern Gray Treefrog Found in my Basement? *Update*   Southern Gray Treefrog Found in my Basement? *Update* EmptyThu 14 Oct 2021 - 22:55

Looks like a splendid spot for him!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Southern Gray Treefrog Found in my Basement? *Update*   Southern Gray Treefrog Found in my Basement? *Update* EmptyThu 14 Oct 2021 - 23:24

I am sure you released the little frog in a perfect place and it even has a snack. Laughing I think now the best is that you find how the frog entered your basement, floor level windows, water pummps, doors or probably it will continue happening.

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Southern Gray Treefrog Found in my Basement? *Update*   Southern Gray Treefrog Found in my Basement? *Update* EmptyFri 15 Oct 2021 - 9:40

That's wonderful, a happy ending to the story! cheers
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Southern Gray Treefrog Found in my Basement? *Update*   Southern Gray Treefrog Found in my Basement? *Update* EmptySat 16 Oct 2021 - 3:20

I am late to this story, but it has a happy ending! Hooray! Gray tree frogs (southern and eastern) frequently get into houses and other buildings. We are having them turn up at work all the time in the most unexpected places. You did exactly the right thing by putting it outside in a nice woody area near some water.

Sounds like he made quite a journey to end up in your basement, probably looking for a suitable place to hunker down and hibernate for the winter. They often go underground, so no doubt a damp, cool, protected basement seemed right. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Southern Gray Treefrog Found in my Basement? *Update*   Southern Gray Treefrog Found in my Basement? *Update* Empty

Back to top Go down

Southern Gray Treefrog Found in my Basement? *Update*
Page 1 of 1