Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou

Go down 
+12
lucky luke
aandmkw
baltimore zoo
MartinH
HKHollinstone
SUSANNE
Silver Unicornis
Joe
Roger
Yurumi
skysthelimit
Kikimalou
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou Empty
PostSubject: The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou   The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 2:14 pm

Here is my first attempt to customize a PAPO malayan tapir.

I must say I'm not so happy with it. First I didn't want to show it here but a few words from our friend Harriet helped me a lot.

So... It is far to be perfect but it help me to learn a lot of things and to practice. I will do a much better work next time for sure..

Let me introduce my new Brazilian tapir.

For Roger  Wink  : The context  Very Happy : The South American Tapir (Tapirus terrestris), or Brazilian Tapir  is one of four species in the tapir family, along with the Mountain Tapir, the Malayan Tapir, and Baird's Tapir. It is the second largest land mammal in South America, after Baird's Tapir.
It has a low, erect crest running from the crown down the back of the neck. The round, dark ears have distinctive white edges. The South American Tapir can attain a body length of 1.8 to 2.5 m (5.9 to 8.2 ft) in) and 225 kg (500 lb) in weight. It stands somewhere between 77 to 108 cm (2.53 to 3.54 ft) at the shoulder.
The South American Tapir can be found near water in the Amazon Rainforest and River Basin in South America, east of the Andes. Its range stretches from Venezuela, Colombia, and Guianas in the north to Brazil, Argentina, and Paraguay, in the south, to Bolivia, Peru, and Ecuador in the West.

The model scale is between 1:14 and 1:17.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

With the SCHLEICH Baird's tapir

With the Schleich jaguar

Last edited by Kikimalou on Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
skysthelimit

skysthelimit

Country/State : Serbia

PostSubject: Re: The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou   The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 2:27 pm

I don't understand why aren't you satisfied, it looks very authentic.

Yurumi

Yurumi

Country/State : Leipzig, GERMANY

PostSubject: Re: The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou   The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 2:40 pm

I agree with Robert, it is you really well, absolutely fantastic cheers , I can not make himself would surely be better. The painting is excellent. Keep it up and no need Christophe Red River Hog more of me Wink tongue Laughing
BG
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou   The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 3:17 pm

Fantastic work Christophe! I know why you are not completly happy!!! ...because you know you are able to be better and better! Even your tapirs are fantastic! It makes me think that someday I need to save some money and order something from you! Wink
...and it is very nice also because you have 3 tapir species in 3 different moulds, even the 2nd largest of America is bigger than the largest! Laughing I know you don't mind with it. Thanks for the context, I read it completly!
Your jaguar is surely very happy with his new friends! Isn't it missing a woolly tapir??? monkey
Back to top Go down
Joe

Country/State : USA Minnesota

PostSubject: Re: The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou   The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 4:48 pm

Very nice job. YOU SHOULD BE PROUD OF HOW IT TURNED OUT.I love the paint job on it. Keep up the good work

Joe
Back to top Go down
Silver Unicornis

Silver Unicornis

Country/State : Polish girl living in Scotland

PostSubject: Re: The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou   The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 5:03 pm

He's fabulous! I agree with Joe, you have a right reason to be proud of what you did with this model. He's really great, good job! Very Happy

Blog | Facebook
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou   The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 5:06 pm

skysthelimit wrote:
I don't understand why aren't you satisfied, it looks very authentic.
Yurumi wrote:
I agree with Robert, it is you really well, absolutely fantastic cheers , I can not make himself would surely be better. The painting is excellent.
BG
Roger wrote:
Fantastic work Christophe! I know why you are not completly happy!!! ...because you know you are able to be better and better!

Thank you gentlemen Very Happy .

So what ? I'm not complaining for pleasure Wink .

First reason to be unsatisfied : The modelling ! cheers At one time, the model was better than now but I thought I had to eliminate a few default... And I made it worse. affraid I first used green stuff to rebuilt it and for the alterations I used some Wepam and I made some mistake on the skin... Crazy stupid and pretentious macaque monkey . I decided then to stop the modelling, even worse, because it could be worse again... clown

Second reason : The painting alien jocolor I used a lavis technic to make some slight difference on the tapir's brown coat. It is ok but the consequence is a very finely shaded coat and GLOSSY What a Face . I tried to use a mat glaze but it's not enough. Harriet taught me the dry brush technic which I used on the crest and it is ok at last.

Third reason : The model ! Last year, during the Malayan tapir great struggle, some may remember I was the general of the SAFARI ltd army, fighting mostly againts the SCHLEICH desperados... I never noticed then the PAPO tapir is a real piece of cake What a Face, too big, especially the abdomen, to odd, too... It disappointed me No
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou   The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 5:15 pm

I forget another reason Cool : The painting of the eyes, I discovered my eyesight is slowy worse eveyyear. I used a magnifying glass but I still miss them. Should I change or should I let it... We will see Wink
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou   The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 5:18 pm

Yurumi wrote:
I agree with Robert, it is you really well, absolutely fantastic cheers , I can not make himself would surely be better. The painting is excellent. Keep it up and no need Christophe Red River Hog more of me Wink tongue Laughing
BG

Ralf... Your red river hog have a VIP place on my shelves, my mind and my heart I love you I need one cheers drunken
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou   The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 5:18 pm

I think it is wonderful, Christioph !!!!!!
My! The things you mention are of very little importance, - I like the glossy look, it reminds me of old, classical figueres !

You have a fabulous collection of Tapirs, - why don`t "The brands" never make other Tapirs ?

I think even your model tapir is very happy
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou   The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 5:22 pm

Roger wrote:

...and it is very nice also because you have 3 tapir species in 3 different moulds, even the 2nd largest of America is bigger than the largest! Laughing I know you don't mind with it. Thanks for the context, I read it completly!

Laughing , Yes, the bigger and I can't change anything Laughing The joy of costumise a model drunken

Roger wrote:

Your jaguar is surely very happy with his new friends! Isn't it missing a woolly tapir??? monkey

monkey a matter of time Wink
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou   The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 5:26 pm

Joe wrote:
Very nice job. YOU SHOULD BE PROUD OF HOW IT TURNED OUT.I love the paint job on it. Keep up the good work

Joe

Mangalarga wrote:
He's fabulous! I agree with Joe, you have a right reason to be proud of what you did with this model. He's really great, good job! Very Happy

SUSANNE wrote:
I think it is wonderful, Christioph !!!!!!
My! The things you mention are of very little importance, - I like the glossy look, it reminds me of old, classical figueres !
You have a fabulous collection of Tapirs, - why don`t "The brands" never make other Tapirs ?
I think even your model tapir is very happy

Thank you Joe, Magda and Susanne Very Happy .

Indeed, I'm not very happy because it is not exactly the tapir I had in mind when I made it Wink
Back to top Go down
Yurumi

Yurumi

PostSubject: Re: The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou   The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 10:12 pm

Hey Christophe, do not be too hard on you, it is in spite of your discontent is a very successful model, especially for your first attempt.
And I have to give Susanne right, it looks like one of the beautiful old Lineol or Elastolin models Wink Very Happy .

Was the green stuff so a two-component modeling clay (blue and yellow = green)?
I conducted my first conversion attempt it (Papo male Kudu to female), the stuff took forever to harden. But then it holds very strong. The transitions are very difficult to get added...
BG
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou   The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 11:07 pm

Thank you for your kind words Ralf. Very Happy

Fortunately I have enough Lineol at home to compare and I must say I could see the difference even in the darkest night. Laughing

But ok, this model is important because it helped me to learn a lot. Wink

Yes the green stuff is a two-component modeling clay, it takes 2 hours to harden. The main problem with the transition is I used Wepam which is very different and gaves me more problems than solutions.

Last edited by Kikimalou on Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou   The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 12:03 am

Christophe, it looks gorgeous, I love it!!! And your pictures are wonderful cheers bounce cheers

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou   The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 6:11 am

HKHollinstone wrote:
Christophe, it looks gorgeous, I love it!!! And your pictures are wonderful cheers bounce cheers

Harriet, you are very nice cheers

I will try to love it more then Wink

Thank you to be here Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MartinH

MartinH

Country/State : Czech Republic

PostSubject: Re: The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou   The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 11:25 am

Woooow! Chris this one is amazing!!! cheers Shocked

https://www.martinhcollection.cz/
baltimore zoo

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 8:45 pm

Maybe you would like it better if you went just a little darker brown(may make face pop a little more)?
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou   The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 10:02 pm

baltimore zoo wrote:
Maybe you would like it better if you went just a little darker brown(may make face pop a little more)?

I don't think so Balti, I didn't want to make it darker because the Baird's tapir and pinchaque are dark enough, I wanted something different. My problem is first the modeling mistake at the end and the glossy skin, not the color Wink
Back to top Go down
baltimore zoo

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 12:15 am

I got yah! The glossy paint's to shiny. Look forward to the flat coat repaint.
Back to top Go down
aandmkw

aandmkw

Country/State : Gardendale, TX

PostSubject: Re: The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou   The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 6:14 pm

I think it looks amazing. You did an awesome job on it. The artist is usually their own worst critic.
Back to top Go down
lucky luke

lucky luke

Country/State : FRANCE Saint-Louis

PostSubject: Re: The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou   The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 10:58 pm

Congratulations Christopher!
You did it!
cheers cheers cheers
Fantastic for a test result is the top, it's not too bad.
I agree with you, the color is just brilliant.
sunny sunny
For Wepam, I am also in your opinion it is great for some uses, but when the aplications on some support we see a little consolidation.
should find another component!
scratch study
I'm happy for you and your wonderful collection of tapirs how fantastic idea.
king cheers
Biodiversity and recycling, we must continue on this path ....
Wink Very Happy
It would blow out at the maker of brands ...... Why three tapir that year and not a single calf
Suspect Sad Wink
In terms of Ralf bushpig there is also a free place at home, I think he already know!
scratch jocolor pig
The macaque going crazy what shook the next chalenge ?????
Very Happy pirat alien cat elephant flower
Back to top Go down
Gast

PostSubject: Re: The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou   The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 7:43 pm

OH, I really cannot realize it is PAPO tapir? amazing!
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou   The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 10:47 am

monsterhouse wrote:
OH, I really cannot realize it is PAPO tapir? amazing!

Laughing  Here is the making of  Wink

Last edited by Kikimalou on Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:48 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Yurumi

Yurumi

PostSubject: Re: The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou   The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 11:07 am

Looks great, already very professional! Keep it up, Christophe cheers .
BG
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou   The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou Empty

Back to top Go down

The PAPO 2011 Brazilian tapir walkaround review by Kikimalou
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next