Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Can anyone identify this spider?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
endogenylove

endogenylove

Country/State : United States

Can anyone identify this spider?  Empty
PostSubject: Can anyone identify this spider?    Can anyone identify this spider?  EmptyWed Dec 01, 2021 6:11 am

[url=https://servimg.com/view/20210301/495][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][url=https://servimg.com/view/20210301/494][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/url][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][url=https://servimg.com/view/20210301/491][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/url][/url]
I have a friend who is self-teaching herself to identify her local spiders, but this one seems to be avoiding identification by both of us.
Here’s a list of attributes:
*found in the woods in a Pittsburgh Pennsylvania (northeastern inland US) suburb
*almost certainly a baby spider
*makes a cobweb
*mostly dark brown body
*striped pattern on legs
*black and white patterned abdomen
*mostly black underside
*bright red/orange mark on underside
*appears to be a female

According to her, “My closest guess is Pityohyphantes but that still doesn’t explain the red marking”

I don’t know much about spiders, so I was hoping someone else could help. Invertebrates are not my area of expertise :)
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone identify this spider?    Can anyone identify this spider?  EmptyWed Dec 01, 2021 12:44 pm

I don't know the spiders well, but start in Theridiidae (Steatoda?). Have you posted images to ID Request on BugGuide? Lots of spider experts there!
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone identify this spider?    Can anyone identify this spider?  EmptyWed Dec 01, 2021 1:25 pm

Do you think it is a North American furrow orb-weaver? It looks so cute in this picture.
Image search engine tells it is a barn spider but I'm not convinced.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
(Larinioides cornutus)

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone identify this spider?    Can anyone identify this spider?  EmptyWed Dec 01, 2021 4:02 pm

Roger wrote:
Do you think it is a North American furrow orb-weaver? It looks so cute in this picture.
Image  search engine tells it is a barn spider but I'm not convinced.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
(Larinioides cornutus)

The shape of the abdomen is not right, and that is made a 'cobweb' should also rule out Araneidae. It's got to be a theridiid, but I don't have a lot of experience with them outside of the widows.
Back to top Go down
endogenylove

endogenylove

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone identify this spider?    Can anyone identify this spider?  EmptyWed Dec 01, 2021 6:21 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
I don't know the spiders well, but start in Theridiidae (Steatoda?). Have you posted images to ID Request on BugGuide? Lots of spider experts there!
I have never heard of BugGuide before, but I will request there! Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone identify this spider?    Can anyone identify this spider?  EmptyWed Dec 01, 2021 7:40 pm

I'm not familiar with American fauna in general and their spiders in particular, but it remind me very much the European species of Theridion. However there are many other genus of Theridiidae that also could be similar.

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone identify this spider?    Can anyone identify this spider?  EmptyThu Dec 02, 2021 10:05 pm

[quote="bmathison1972"]
Roger wrote:
Image  search engine tells it is a barn spider but I'm not convinced.

The shape of the abdomen is not right, and that is made a 'cobweb' should also rule out Araneidae. It's got to be a theridiid, but I don't have a lot of experience with them outside of the widows.

3000 species to choose, I have still a lot to learn before trying to identify a spider. affraid Better learning the generic features first.

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone identify this spider?    Can anyone identify this spider?  EmptyFri Dec 03, 2021 8:07 am

Sorry, I can't help at all , - to me, there are large spiders, small spiders, and those with very long legs that I do NOT want in my bed lol!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone identify this spider?    Can anyone identify this spider?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Can anyone identify this spider?
Page 1 of 1