Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Seen in an antique mall

Go down 
+4
George
SUSANNE
widukind
pipsxlch
8 posters
AuthorMessage
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

Seen in an antique mall Empty
PostSubject: Seen in an antique mall   Seen in an antique mall EmptyWed Jun 22, 2022 2:47 am

My mom had an appointment in a nearby town, waiting for the proper time we wandered into a nearby antique mall. I saw a handful of figures there, am broke at the moment so didn't buy any but did take pictures in case anyone sees anything they want. It's close enough for me to go back and get things.
Seen in an antique mall Thumbnail-1
Seen in an antique mall Thumbnail-2
Seen in an antique mall Thumbnail-3
Seen in an antique mall Thumbnail-4
Last pic has some old celluloid figures
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Seen in an antique mall   Seen in an antique mall EmptyWed Jun 22, 2022 4:24 am

Shocked Shocked

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Seen in an antique mall   Seen in an antique mall EmptyWed Jun 22, 2022 3:27 pm

I would not call them "antiques", but it surely looks great Very Happy

I see mainly Breyer, but isn´t there a CollectA model too ?
I love that sitting lion Wink

George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Seen in an antique mall   Seen in an antique mall EmptyWed Jun 22, 2022 4:53 pm

Some of the vintage Breyer may be old enough to count as antiques by now, though I do see a few from only a couple of years ago, too!

We actually had this discussion once, in one of the model horse brands I collect - where do we draw the line between 'vintage' and just 'second hand'.

We were able to nominate quite a definite division in the end : around 1989/1990, the models switched from having natural mohair manes and tails, to having synthetic nylon fibre instead. So anything with the old real hair was vintage, and anything with nylon wasn't.
Eventually it'll get to a point where the 1990s or even 2000s are long enough ago that a new generation of collectors will definitely think those are vintage, and then they'll have to invent their own new way to divide horses, but for now it makes sense to us all Laughing

thebritfarmer

thebritfarmer

Country/State : Ontario, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Seen in an antique mall   Seen in an antique mall EmptyWed Jun 22, 2022 6:07 pm

I would say most of these would be vintage. That draft horse in the first photo is very nice, who makes that?
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Seen in an antique mall   Seen in an antique mall EmptyWed Jun 22, 2022 6:14 pm

That's the Clydesdale Stallion by Breyer, see here. They also make him in the 1:32 scale range now, if you'd prefer a mini version!

thebritfarmer

thebritfarmer

Country/State : Ontario, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Seen in an antique mall   Seen in an antique mall EmptyWed Jun 22, 2022 6:25 pm

Thank George
Back to top Go down
Shanti

Shanti

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Seen in an antique mall   Seen in an antique mall EmptyWed Jun 22, 2022 7:13 pm

Awesome!! I think I would have bought some right away.. Laughing
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: Seen in an antique mall   Seen in an antique mall EmptyWed Jun 22, 2022 9:41 pm

George wrote:
Some of the vintage Breyer may be old enough to count as antiques by now, though I do see a few from only a couple of years ago, too!

We actually had this discussion once, in one of the model horse brands I collect - where do we draw the line between 'vintage' and just 'second hand'.

We were able to nominate quite a definite division in the end : around 1989/1990, the models switched from having natural mohair manes and tails, to having synthetic nylon fibre instead. So anything with the old real hair was vintage, and anything with nylon wasn't.
Eventually it'll get to a point where the 1990s or even 2000s are long enough ago that a new generation of collectors will definitely think those are vintage, and then they'll have to invent their own new way to divide horses, but for now it makes sense to us all Laughing

vintage is anything that is over 20years old (according to etsy, where 'vintage' became a big thing to sell, outside of the art/craft side of sales there)

however, I am sure other platforms/groups/etc will have their own definition of vintage too, like you said above George.
Though vintage is a rolling term, and every year many things will enter the fold of vintage-ness Very Happy
same as 'antiques' which is anything that is over 100years in age

Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Seen in an antique mall   Seen in an antique mall EmptyThu Jun 23, 2022 1:54 am

Susanne, the horses I picked up were all Breyers except for a couple 1975 Imperials.

'Antique Mall' is just the term at least locally for this sort of resale 'junk' market, usually with multiple vendors renting space. Some of the stuff they sell is brand new.
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Seen in an antique mall   Seen in an antique mall EmptySun Jun 26, 2022 9:07 pm

Nice Breyers! - but they are usually quite high prices in antique malls! The poodle is especially neat, and I love that old stretch morgan and the PAM. I can't sort if that's a black Secretariat mold by the stretch morgan or something else - I don't recognize his star.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seen in an antique mall   Seen in an antique mall Empty

Back to top Go down

Seen in an antique mall
Page 1 of 1