Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?

Go down 
+3
Taos
Roger
widukind
7 posters
AuthorMessage
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?  Empty
PostSubject: Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?    Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?  EmptySun Jan 08, 2023 11:54 am

Can anybody share please closer pics of this skunk? Thank you so much

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?    Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?  EmptySun Jan 08, 2023 12:04 pm

Andreas, the species identification is conjectural. Actually it is my identification.
Not many people have this figure. The one on TAW is Susanne's. I have it but I only have acess to it next week or so.

Last edited by Roger on Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?    Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?  EmptySun Jan 08, 2023 12:17 pm

Roger wrote:
Andreas, the species identification is conjectural. Actually it is my identification.
Not many people have this figure. The one on TAW is Susanne's. I have it but I only have acess to it next week or so.

Yes, i know. But it could be very interesting for me if you are right. At the moment i dont have this figure, but if i have pics i can control that in the checklist of mammals. So i hope that we know than more. And if it is a hooded skunk, i will hunt the figure :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?    Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?  EmptySun Jan 08, 2023 12:41 pm

OK Andreas, I wrote it down to try to remember it if nobody shows pictures meanwhile.
If I can take acceptable pictures, maybe I open a walk around since it is not a common model at all. I will also try to find pictures on STS and share here.

Edit: Here is a picture I took for you in 2013. Christophe tells it is not a hooded skunk since it is not hooded. Laughing He's right as usual. Though, we've agreed it also doesn't look like a striped skunk.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?    Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?  EmptySun Jan 08, 2023 2:35 pm

Thank you.

Here is the page from the book

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?    Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?  EmptySun Jan 08, 2023 2:59 pm

I rotated your picture, Andreas. It is very hard to tell. It looks like the one below but I can't read the species.
Though, Safari model has a full white back while this one as the traditional pair of strips. It shows however the narrow facial strip and the darkened tip of the tail.
Some skunk species have different patterns, sometimes you can find specimens with a full white bak and some striped.
Which species is this one, Andreas?

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?    Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?  EmptySun Jan 08, 2023 3:25 pm

Roger wrote:
I rotated your picture, Andreas. It is very hard to tell. It looks like the one below but I can't read the species.
Though, Safari model has a full white back while this one as the traditional pair of strips. It shows however the narrow facial strip and the darkened tip of the tail.
Some skunk species have different patterns, sometimes you can find specimens with a full white bak and some striped.

This is a striped skunk

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?    Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?  EmptySun Jan 08, 2023 3:46 pm

[quote="widukind"]
Roger wrote:

This is a striped skunk

lol! I feared it will posting. affraid Wink I'm going to be fired as a skunk identifier. After the PV being moved to a striped skunk, now we risk the same will happen to this one. Sad
Those are not good news for you and striped skunks can vary from completely blakck to white. Though, why would Safari release a striped skunk without typical stripes?
The white back is much more common for hooded skunks even if striped versions also exist. Which one of that picture is the hodded skunk?
Here a description I'm copying from sciencing.com

"Hooded skunks, Mephitis macroura, differ from striped skunks in that their tails are longer, they have tufts of fur around their necks, and (according to brave sources) their fur is softer. Hooded skunks may have stripes like striped skunks, but they also may have narrow stripes or a single wide stripe up their backs with a white tail."

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?    Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?  EmptySun Jan 08, 2023 5:38 pm

Here is my picture of the model if that helps!

Taos

PostSubject: Re: Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?    Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?  EmptySun Jan 08, 2023 5:52 pm

Andreas-What is the title of the book with the skunk pictures, please.

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?    Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?  EmptySun Jan 08, 2023 6:05 pm

Thank you Taylor.

And you can find more informations about the books here :)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

PostSubject: Re: Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?    Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?  EmptySun Jan 08, 2023 6:53 pm

Thank you Andreas.I have seen and looked at the one on birds-got it at the library- but am getting funds for the one on mammals!

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?    Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?  EmptyMon Jan 09, 2023 9:03 am

Maybe we should go for the one on the top

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?    Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?  EmptyMon Jan 09, 2023 10:14 am

Maybe, at least it has a white back, the snout stripe and a white tail.
What species is this one?

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?    Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?  EmptyMon Jan 09, 2023 7:17 pm

Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?    Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?  EmptyMon Jan 09, 2023 7:43 pm

This skunk is from Safari's early days when most things were generic (I had it years ago). I highly doubt they took much effort to model it after a specific species but the intention was almost certainly a striped skunk
Back to top Go down
endogenylove

endogenylove

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?    Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?  EmptyTue Jan 10, 2023 11:28 pm

Almost certainly it was made as a striped skunk, but it does look the most like a hooded skunk to me. Striped skunks very rarely have that all white pattern…

bjarki12

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?    Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?  EmptyWed Jan 11, 2023 3:35 pm

My brother had a pair of these when we were kids and he was also confused trying to figure out which species it was intended to be. He settled the matter by painting an extra black stripe down each back to make them striped skunks.

At any rate, it's a nice little figure! Do I remember correctly that there's a wire in the tale that allows it a little bit of articulation?
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?    Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?  EmptySat Jan 14, 2023 10:35 am

bjarki12 wrote:
My brother had a pair of these when we were kids and he was also confused trying to figure out which species it was intended to be. He settled the matter by painting an extra black stripe down each back to make them striped skunks.

At any rate, it's a nice little figure! Do I remember correctly that there's a wire in the tale that allows it a little bit of articulation?

You're right, the tail is moveable but as it happened to other models, a non moveable version may exist.

PostSubject: Re: Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?    Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Closer pics of Hooded skunk ?
Page 1 of 1