Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills...

Go down 
+4
bmathison1972
Brandubh94
widukind
Roger
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills... Empty
PostSubject: Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills...   Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills... EmptyThu Nov 30, 2023 12:54 pm

In recent years, Linnaean taxonomy has faced a decline in prominence and the cladistic method seems to be favored. I like myself the old system because it is still a good way to sort things. So, I think both systems are still useful although in different ways.
The Pelecaniformes order is one of many which has suffered many changes and currently, if Wikipedia is up to date, pelicans, hamerkop and shoebill form one of the clades within the order while herons, ibises and spoonbills form the next closest clade.
It is especially surprising to see the shoebill here because despite reading before it had been moved to this order, I'm still educated to think it is a stork instead. However, it is even closer to pelicans than ibises are. Shocked
This is one of the many birds groups I love and I'm not trying to make a list of all species and I'm not even showing all my models, it is just about the favorite ones for each species in my collection.
This is also a small welcoming party for the new Ibis that Papo will launch. The French brand is contributing decisively with fantastic bird models.
I favour figures from major brands. Japanese companies are poorly represented in my collection. However, if you want to discuss your favorites, which ones are part of your collections, feel free to use this space because I enjoy learning from you.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Figures pictured:
- Safari brown pelican (Pelecanus occidentalis)
- Science and Nature Australian pelican (Pelecanus conspicillatus)
Schleich great white pelican (Pelecanus onocrotalus)
Safari American white pelican (Pelecanus erythrorhynchos)
- CollectA black-faced spoonbill (Platalea minor)
- Papo Eurasian spoonbill (Platalea leucorodia)
- Papo grey heron (Ardea cinerea)
- K&M great blue heron (Ardea herodias)
- CollectA shoebill (Balaeniceps rex)

As I mentioned, I have more figures of the same species, namely more pelicans, the Bullyland grey heron, Safari TOOB great blue heron, more shoebills. I missed the Safari roseate spoonbill, I confess I'm not a big fan of the water base with no feet but it should be here since it is beautiful and a fantastic species.

widukind

Country/State : Germany

Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills...   Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills... EmptyThu Nov 30, 2023 1:08 pm

Really nice group picture. Many more good figures are also Pelecaniformes. Like the K&M egret, Kaiyodo night heron, Fanta Hamerkop...

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Brandubh94

Brandubh94

Country/State : Ireland

PostSubject: Re: Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills...   Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills... EmptyThu Nov 30, 2023 1:32 pm

Definitely in agreement here Roger, Papo do FANTASTIC birds! :)
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills...   Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills... EmptyThu Nov 30, 2023 1:55 pm

WOW, I didn't realize the K&M tube Great Blue Heron was so tall! I might consider that over the recent Safari TOOB figure which is awfully short.
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills...   Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills... EmptyThu Nov 30, 2023 2:41 pm

My favorites of the group are Papo's grey heron, Safari's rosette spoonbill, & Safari's brown pelican cheers Papo's ibis will soon join my list of favorites Laughing

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills...   Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills... EmptyThu Nov 30, 2023 4:51 pm

Great selection of this family of birds!!

Stripedhyena

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills...   Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills... EmptyThu Nov 30, 2023 4:58 pm

Pelicans are in my top 3 favorite animals. Fortunately they are animals with a lot of presence in the market of figures and replicas for decades.... I have hundreds of pelicans but I would not know which are my favorites.... Maybe the one from Sculptures of Dar (Darina) or one of the compo ones.

On the other hand, in my opinion, the major brands have not produced high quality pelicans. It also bothers me that it is common to place a fish in the beak of these birds or place them on a log and reproduce them with open wings. I think it distracts from the essence of the animal.
I also miss that the great white pelicans with their vibrant blue-red-yellow coloration in the beak or in pink coloration have not been reproduced...

I also love the spoonbills and ibis. And indeed, thanks to Papo we have a cormorant, a beautiful spoonbill and finally a scarlet ibis. As a curiosity, CBG Mignot produced a roseate spoonbill and a scarlet ibis.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills...   Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills... EmptyThu Nov 30, 2023 5:04 pm

Thanks everyone, Andreas, I don't have those. Sad
Ricardo, thanks for your additional information and I agree about the pelican (great white), I am never satisfied with a particular one, mine is almost a random choice.

bmathison1972 wrote:
WOW, I didn't realize the K&M tube Great Blue Heron was so tall! I might consider that over the recent Safari TOOB figure which is awfully short.

They're radically different figures each one with their own virtues.
The K&M model is rubbery with an "outdated" finish but I've never seen before so much love put into a tube figure. It weighs 36 g which is probably the heaviest tube figure in my collection. On the other hand the Safari is such a good looking one and incredibly delicate. Just 4 g of weight and so convincing. Here a comparison picture with the tiny one cheating a little.

Joliezac wrote:

My favorites of the group are Papo's grey heron, Safari's rosette spoonbill, & Safari's brown pelican cheers Papo's ibis will soon join my list of favorites Laughing

If you have time, could you share a photo of your pelecaniformes with the Safari spoonbill? It is an unacceptable absence here. Wink

Stripedhyena

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills...   Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills... EmptyThu Nov 30, 2023 6:03 pm

Well, Roger, I have to admit that this pelican has a lot of merit! And even more so coming from Schleich, whose line is more conservative. When this figure was released, I was left, and never better said, with my mouth open.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills...   Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills... EmptyThu Nov 30, 2023 6:20 pm

lol! Litterally, I forgot the bad guy! pale That's a very cool one.
I have this old one too which is the opposite of that model.

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills...   Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills... EmptyThu Nov 30, 2023 6:51 pm

Love the old Schleich white pelican! Still need that one

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills...   Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills... EmptyThu Nov 30, 2023 8:54 pm

Roger wrote:
In recent years, Linnaean taxonomy has faced a decline in prominence and the cladistic method seems to be favored. I like myself the old system because it is still a good way to sort things. So, I think both systems are still useful although in different ways.
The Pelecaniformes order is one of many which has suffered many changes and currently, if Wikipedia is up to date, pelicans, hamerkop and shoebill form one of the clades within the order while herons, ibises and spoonbills form the next closest clade.
It is especially surprising to see the shoebill here because despite reading before it had been moved to this order, I'm still educated to think it is a stork instead. However, it is even closer to pelicans than ibises are. Shocked
This is one of the many birds groups I love and I'm not trying to make a list of all species and I'm not even showing all my models, it is just about the favorite ones for each species in my collection.
This is also a small welcoming party for the new Ibis that Papo will launch. The French brand is contributing decisively with fantastic bird models.
I favour figures from major brands. Japanese companies are poorly represented in my collection. However, if you want to discuss your favorites, which ones are part of your collections, feel free to use this space because I enjoy learning from you.

Figures pictured:
- Safari brown pelican (Pelecanus occidentalis)
- Science and Nature Australian pelican (Pelecanus conspicillatus)
Schleich great white pelican (Pelecanus onocrotalus)
Safari American white pelican (Pelecanus erythrorhynchos)
- CollectA black-faced spoonbill (Platalea minor)
- Papo Eurasian spoonbill (Platalea leucorodia)
- Papo grey heron (Ardea cinerea)
- K&M great blue heron (Ardea herodias)
- CollectA shoebill (Balaeniceps rex)

As I mentioned, I have more figures of the same species, namely more pelicans, the Bullyland grey heron, Safari TOOB great blue heron, more shoebills. I missed the Safari roseate spoonbill, I confess I'm not a big fan of the water base with no feet but it should be here since it is beautiful and a fantastic species.

they all look wonderful lined up!

do you have any 1/32nd scale ones Roger? Britains have very beautiful pelicans and flamingos and a stork.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills...   Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills... EmptyFri Dec 01, 2023 10:21 am

Here is a figure I want to share too. An example of a figure I can't replace even if the newer is superior. The 2003 Bullyland grey heron with the 2021 Papo rendition. Very Happy

sunny wrote:

do you have any 1/32nd scale ones Roger? Britains have very beautiful pelicans and flamingos and a stork.

Thanks Annette, I have these Britains in plastic but the stork. I also have the monochromatic dinamização at the same size and a plastic Hausser, I guesss.

sunny

PostSubject: Re: Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills...   Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills... EmptyFri Dec 01, 2023 10:31 pm

Roger wrote:
Here is a figure I want to share too. An example of a figure I can't replace even if the newer is superior. The 2003 Bullyland grey heron with the 2021 Papo rendition. Very Happy

sunny wrote:

Thanks Annette, I have these Britains in plastic but the stork. I also have the monochromatic dinamização at the same size and a plastic Hausser, I guesss.

that's good that you have some! if you ever have time for pics of them, then that will be nice:)

by the way - Benno's comment above belongs on this[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] study

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills...   Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills... EmptySat Dec 02, 2023 8:29 am

sunny wrote:

Thanks Annette, I have these Britains in plastic but the stork. I also have the monochromatic dinamização at the same size and a plastic Hausser, I guesss. [/quote]

that's good that you have some! if you ever have time for pics of them, then that will be nice:)

by the way - Benno's comment above belongs on this[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  study

[/quote]

I opened this thread right before going away for a few weeks, and I won't be able to take photos of these figures anytime soon. Perhaps, when I return in a few weeks, I'll remember to photograph these figures. However, the idea was also for other collectors to contribute with photos of their models, as the cross-perspective of different preferences makes the threads more interesting. The only photo I can share is this old picture of my Britains pelican next to the Dynamization one, which should represent about half of what I have in this scale.

I will try to move Beno's post to the right topic, thanks for pointing it.

sunny

PostSubject: Re: Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills...   Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills... EmptySat Dec 02, 2023 6:40 pm

Roger wrote:
sunny wrote:

by the way - Benno's comment above belongs on this[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  study

[/quote]

I opened this thread right before going away for a few weeks, and I won't be able to take photos of these figures anytime soon. Perhaps, when I return in a few weeks, I'll remember to photograph these figures. However, the idea was also for other collectors to contribute with photos of their models, as the cross-perspective of different preferences makes the threads more interesting. The only photo I can share is this old picture of my Britains pelican next to the Dynamization one, which should represent about half of what I have in this scale.

I will try to move Beno's post to the right topic, thanks for pointing it.[/quote]

ah that is such a beautiful white pelican Roger!! I don't think I have ever seen that model before and I really like pelican models.
Thanks for sharing!
When I manage to see my pelicans again I will add pics here:)

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills...   Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills... EmptySat Dec 09, 2023 5:20 pm

Thanks Annette, I'm looking forward to see yours. Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills...   Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills... Empty

Back to top Go down

Pelecaniformes, a debated bird order which is gaining protagonism in this hobby... pelicans, ibises, herons, shoebills...
Page 1 of 1