Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Species ID for possible extinct mammals

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

Species ID for possible extinct mammals Empty
PostSubject: Species ID for possible extinct mammals   Species ID for possible extinct mammals EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 6:00 am

I have a couple of figures that I am interested in custom painting as I don't feel like they accurately fit any extant animal well enough to keep as is. I am interested in turning these into prehistoric themed species if they can fit the characteristics of one or another (I think they are close enough). However, despite all my research and excitement, I either can't find a species that fits well enough or I just can't settle on one or the other... thus I have decided to crowd source. Wink

Any thoughts?
[url="https://postimg.cc/rz0VrDZg"][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/url]

The top 2 are my prime focus, but the bottom 2 I think might work for this project idea also.

I know that really I can repaint them however I like since we don't know the coloration or patterns they actually had. But it helps to have an ID either for inspiration from paleoart or to find a modern/extant homology to work from.

Any and all thoughts are welcome!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Species ID for possible extinct mammals   Species ID for possible extinct mammals EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 2:20 pm

They looks like Nayab. Very very interesting figures

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Species ID for possible extinct mammals   Species ID for possible extinct mammals EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 8:20 pm

Nice models.
There is a very good book called Dogs and their fossil relatives with some really nice illustrations and the top 2 models could be used for a number of extinct canids.

Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Species ID for possible extinct mammals   Species ID for possible extinct mammals EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 7:43 am

Yes, these are all (I think) variations of Nayabs.

Taylor, I must get this book sometime!!! Oh my gosh, its even Mauricio Anton's work! Thank you sir, I will definitely check it out.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Species ID for possible extinct mammals   Species ID for possible extinct mammals EmptyThu May 02, 2024 11:05 pm

Maybe the 2nd one could be a Megalictis ferox. affraid

PostSubject: Re: Species ID for possible extinct mammals   Species ID for possible extinct mammals Empty

Back to top Go down

Species ID for possible extinct mammals
Page 1 of 1