Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The wolf has found a home

Go down 
+10
Suebeedo
pipsxlch
sunny
Bloodrayne
Roger
Joliezac
rogerpgvg
widukind
Jill
Saarlooswolfhound
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

The wolf has found a home Empty
PostSubject: The wolf has found a home   The wolf has found a home EmptyThu May 02, 2024 12:47 am

A quick metaphor: wolves are incredible animals for many reasons, but there are 2 in particular that make them remarkable to me. If a wolf or even an entire pack have suffered through some kind of debilititating event, they have been known to show amazing resilience and problem solving ingenuity to survive at any cost. This may incorporate their ability to wander until they find a suitable new region to inhabit (regardless of what they fled from; predation, disease, habitat failure, prey collapse, canine politics, etc.). They have been known to travel thousands of miles to escape whatever hardship they encountered, until they settle into a new place to call home.

Sorry for the out of the ordinary title; perhaps I am feeling a little nostalgic tonight. Longtime members here will remember that my large collection used to be all on display bookcases, and while they were not anything expensive due to cost for myself at the time, I did enjoy carefully curating them; rearranging every time I got a new model, I cleaned them regularly, and enjoyed working on various projects like TAW or repainting models to add. All in all, for a 5,000+ something piece collection it was contained on over a dozen bookcases in a large basement room for years. It was my haven and I spent a TON of time with this hobby.

Couldn't find the photoset from 2022 but these images are from 2021:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Unfortunately, I then had some personal upheaval that I won't detail here, but I ended up having to pack every piece of that collection up, along with other personal belongings, and move to a MUCH smaller dwelling and they had to live in storage. Luckily, they lived in temperature controlled housing for the majority of this time and they suffered very little damage. But, for about a whole year I had incredibly limited access to them, if any at all for some of the boxes. Roughly 6ish months ago I was able to relocate them to a much more accessible spot, but they still had to live in boxes. This new stage of their life has lasted nearly 2 years. I didn't know what to do with myself because I had so much extra time all of a sudden, and it was actually hard to adjust to being away from them for so long.

As fortune would have it though, I got to move to another state *again*; but THIS time I actually have proper living space for myself, my 2 dogs, and my Mom, and I even get an entire room for my collection! It still can't all be on display (gosh, I didn't realize how big it all was until it had to be packed up the first time...) but I have a little space that I can use to enjoy some figures... but now... what do I choose?

Of course it had to be my wild canids. Wink I would like to put up my dogs too but again, I have too many to display them all! But this room is going to be amazing for me once I finish unpacking everything for it and get it all situated. I have a desk to repaint at or work on maintaining my website, another table for photo sessions, the bottom of my 3 wood bookcases have my animal reference books, brand catalogues, and books of animal stories. Then my actual collection, still in plastic boxes, occupies every other available space.

*this shelf is pretty dark, sorry*

I can't show off the entire room, but here are a few snippets for now. The room itself, especially the displays, will probably change as time goes on and I find/unpack things, but even just the last few weeks have been incredible fun for me to reorganize categories, check that the figures travelled well (they did by some miracle!!!), and ponder how I want to curate the room.

Anyhow, this is a bit of a "blast from the past" post as well as sharing my excitement over "rediscovering" my collection again. Here is everyone else tidily stored in their color coded and labelled boxes:

And lastly, just a bit of my new wall decor.

Anyhow, its a huge comfort to have finally found a place I can enjoy what I now understand is an integral part of *me* again. It took 3 states in under 2 years, but I finally have a new home.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: The wolf has found a home   The wolf has found a home EmptyThu May 02, 2024 11:16 am

First of all congratulations on finding yourself a place to be comfortable and for surviving the hardships, it sounds like it was quite a trial for a while. I hope things have settled well for you in all aspects of life. Your collection is just incredible (even your organization of boxes is impressive) and even just having a small portion of it on display must be a really nice feeling. I have to rotate my collection around and it's not the best, having so much of it in boxes, but it does help me appreciate the ones I haven't seen for awhile. Great news that you and your collection have finally found home!
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: The wolf has found a home   The wolf has found a home EmptyThu May 02, 2024 11:34 am

Wow, very wow, very very wow. I think i will look for inspirations

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: The wolf has found a home   The wolf has found a home EmptyThu May 02, 2024 2:36 pm

Great to hear that you finally have a place where you can display your collection. It's wonderful to see photos of your collection before you moved; I am sure it has grown even bigger and better now. I don't have space to display my complete collection, but I find that that's okay; I like rotating my figures so that the displays aren't always the same.

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: The wolf has found a home   The wolf has found a home EmptyThu May 02, 2024 2:38 pm

Wow, I can't believe time has passed so quickly. I vividly remember all your original bookcases and displays. I love how colorful and diverse your collection is. Moving so often in such little time can be very stressful I totally get it. I'm young but have had to move over 8 times in my life, it is a lot of work and you do feel lost when you don't have access to all your belongings when they're all boxed up.

I'm so glad you finally can display them again! I hope you can now enjoy being settled for a long time without the stress of moving. We can all tell how much you love your collection, between showing all of us and cleaning them regularly, your displays never look dusty!

I don't know how much space you have in your new room but I think you could fit the most on each shelf with some tiered spice racks displays. I see you had some in your old bookcases. Although you have over twice as many figures as me so I'm sure they take up quite a bit of space.

Your canines are beautiful! I never even realized how many figures there were. I'd love to see progression photos of your shelves as you get them set up.

cheers

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
Joliezac

Joliezac

PostSubject: Re: The wolf has found a home   The wolf has found a home EmptyThu May 02, 2024 2:39 pm

rogerpgvg wrote:
Great to hear that you finally have a place where you can display your collection. It's wonderful to see photos of your collection before you moved; I am sure it has grown even bigger and better now. I don't have space to display my complete collection, but I find that that's okay; I like rotating my figures so that the displays aren't always the same.

I like the idea of rotating them! I have about 4 bins under my bed with extra figures that don't fit on my displays. I feel bad because I rarely see them

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: The wolf has found a home   The wolf has found a home EmptyThu May 02, 2024 4:28 pm

It's undeniable that these recent years haven't been easy for you, even though we don't exactly know what it's about, but it's wise of you to keep reserved regarding these matters. Despite all of this, your collection has always been present, even if it hasn't always appeared in the way you'd most desire. One of the things that surprises me the most is how you stay motivated to maintain all these projects and the resilient way you continue to fight for your happiness, your mother's, and your dogs'.
The magic of the hard times is the moment we rediscover the joy of something as simple as revisiting our collection with the dignity it deserves. Congratulations for your new home and for rediscovering the joy of a new place. Very Happy

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The wolf has found a home   The wolf has found a home EmptyFri May 03, 2024 2:05 am

Thank you everyone! I am a very private person, so once again, I won't detail it all here. But I will say it has been a long 2ish years full of things that have affected myself individually, but also reverberated in my family. I come from a big family (I am the youngest of 7 kids!) and so the struggle for all of us has been hard on me, since family has often been something I turn to. But this is also why I have my two dogs who give plenty of comfort and distraction when I need it (Flynn is my cuddlebug and Buck is the one who recognizes when I need a break from something), and then of course my collection, especially lately, has been what occupies my mind and hands.

I am still in the "settling in" phase with the new living space. I do have lots of options I think to increase display visibility, its just a matter of locating the right boxes in the storage shed. But I have also been toying with the idea of adding some natural effects to my shelves; when I very first put them on bookcases (gosh like... 15 years ago?), I had lots of plastic aquarium plants, rocks, bits of wood I have collected etc.mixed in. But as my collection grew and grew that quickly had to go away to make space. I had kept everything right up until my initial move 2 years ago, now I only have bits and bobs from other side collections like rocks from beaches and some fossils. Thus, if I try to make a natural look again I will be starting mostly fresh. So we shall see what i decide on.

I do have a few extra shelves (I always cut extras for bookcases to maximize space) that I might do the rotating exhibit idea. That would at least give items some time to air out and let the plastic breathe, as well as let me slowly appreciate things. But the wild canines are permanent, and even just the 7 shelves bring me a lot of joy I thought went missing a long time ago.

My projects associated with my collection are often a lot of work since the hoard is so big at this stage... but they're also fun to do! I have neglected my digital census/counting of models and that is a project that intimidates me... but is very necessary to keep track of everything. Hence the color coded boxes; if I didn't, I would never find what I needed! But within the next year I am hoping to get everything updated with the list and be able to share a new total number!

Anyhow, STS has been my internet home for a long time now and it has always been such a pleasure to interact with everyone here. So thank you all for being my limited "fun" social interaction that has kept my sanity for so long! I really do value each and every villager here- as friends. :)

I forgot to show this photo before... both my dogs hang out with me when I am working on putting this hobby room together. Flynn however, being a little "velcro dog" or my little black shadow, is ALWAYS in the middle of whatever I am working on. While I spent time updating photos for my website of new models I got just before and right after this last move they just lived on the floor in small piles while I got through them. He fell asleep *multiple* times right in what I would think would be very uncomfortable pillows...

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
Bloodrayne

Bloodrayne

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: The wolf has found a home   The wolf has found a home EmptyFri May 03, 2024 2:34 pm

I'm so happy for you that you are finally able to display some of your collection again.
You have a beautiful collection and lots of it. Your filing system of tubs is very impressive.
I have a big part of my collection in tubs too, hidden in a closet. Everytime I open one of them up to add a new purchase, I take a look at all the figures inside and admire them. I can only imagine how much fun it must be for you to open up your tubs after such a long time. sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: The wolf has found a home   The wolf has found a home EmptyFri May 03, 2024 11:05 pm

I love the photo of Flynn on the animal piles! Bless him for always being by your side Paige:)

It's good that you find joy in your animal models and on here, and finally you have a settled place. Being settled really does make a world of difference, so I hope it all works out wonderfully for you, now and in the future.

By the way, your cataloguing system is super. Are those colour coded card inserts in each box?
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: The wolf has found a home   The wolf has found a home EmptySat May 04, 2024 10:31 am

Sorry I haven't been able to be on much recently nor for awhile yet, but I am so happy for you that things are finally settling for you and your mom! I wish I was half as organized as you. Cool Praying things continue to go well, may the fourth be with you and yours! (Sorry couldn't resist) I love you Flynn
Back to top Go down
Suebeedo

Suebeedo

Country/State : Spokane, Washington, USA

PostSubject: Re: The wolf has found a home   The wolf has found a home EmptySat May 04, 2024 12:08 pm

Thank you for sharing your older photos - what an amazing collection! I am guessing from your Avatar your favorites are the wolves. Smile
The photo of your dog and it’s pillow is so cute. lol

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: The wolf has found a home   The wolf has found a home EmptySat May 04, 2024 3:09 pm

It's really good to read that your situation and that of your mum are improving after these two difficult years.
To be able to admire your figurines in a display again is an extraordinary pleasure. I understand your emotion.
Your collection of boxes is incredible too.  Laughing
It also makes me happy to know that our village has brought you comfort throughout this period.  sunny

Last edited by Kikimalou on Mon May 06, 2024 3:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: The wolf has found a home   The wolf has found a home EmptySat May 04, 2024 3:52 pm

Your collection is really impresive, Shelves full of nice figures.

Everything is very organized, and there are many hours dedicated to their animals.

Big congratulations Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The wolf has found a home   The wolf has found a home EmptyMon May 06, 2024 12:57 am

Thank you very much everyone.

@ Bloodrayne, while it was a lot of work (and a bit hard for my bad back and knees), it is indeed a load of fun to see all my models again. Sort of like checking on old friends! And once I verified that there was really no damage this time, I could breathe a sigh of relief!

@ Sunny, yes! Flynn has been a dear companion to me and his antics always provide a fun photo opportunity. Wink And yes, those are standard index cards, the top "bar" is color coded to each grouping in my collection (mammal/continent, birds, reptiles, livestock, marine life, etc.) and then the species inside written on each. It helps me locate my models for my projects or if someone asks for a comparison picture or something. :)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], yes, its been a long road full of challenges, trials, and inconveniences, but at last I think things are getting back to a good normal state for me and my Mom and my dogs. I finally found a good job willing to compensate me for what I am worth and with benefits, so things are looking up there too! I hope the same will happen for you and your family after your move Kelly!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], haha you got it! Wolves specifically, but canines in general are my biggest fascination. And thanks, I think my old doggo is pretty cute too. Wink

@Kiki, this village has been an enormous help with good, healthy distractions and good friends to interact with. I count it as a blessing every day!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], thank you friend! Its a big job but a labor of love I suppose to keep it all organized properly. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The wolf has found a home   The wolf has found a home EmptyMon May 06, 2024 1:05 am

oooookay, another quick update.

I got some maps put up now, something that I enjoy referencing every now and then when I learn where an animal is from or somesuch.
One world map with general climate pictured.

one world map with countries and capitals listed

A detailed map of the US and a small one of my favorite place on Earth, Yellowstone National Park. Wink

Then I cleared the space in front of the lower bookcase shelves for photos. First are all of my reference books I kept after moving so many times.

Then I have brand catalogues and printed off PDFs of ones I am missing (my last project I did before I moved away the first time 2 years ago)

And then these are my collection of science and animal books I read for fun. Lately, its been more of an audiobook venture rather reading the hard copies (I had a 40 minute commute to and from work I listened to them on). Still working through what I have on hand!

And lastly, at least for a few weeks, I put up my Breyer stablemates so they could air out. Even being in a box for 2 years with very little open air time, none of them broke or warped! I consider that itself, a miracle.

Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: The wolf has found a home   The wolf has found a home EmptyMon May 06, 2024 8:00 am

Good to see that you are managing to put some of your stuff on display cheers cheers
Like you I love a good map and have far too many map books!
Your reference section looks wonderful and I see we have many books in common. Smile
Stablemates are great to see as they are amongst my favourite of Breyers!

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: The wolf has found a home   The wolf has found a home EmptyMon May 06, 2024 12:11 pm

study study study study study study study study study study study study study study study study study study study study study

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

PostSubject: Re: The wolf has found a home   The wolf has found a home EmptyMon May 06, 2024 12:26 pm

I love the maps, a great way to really see where animals live. Printing out the catalogs is a great idea! I only have a handful and I usually have to go online to look through them. Beautiful stablemates!

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
jarda

jarda

Country/State : Česká republika

PostSubject: Re: The wolf has found a home   The wolf has found a home EmptyTue May 07, 2024 12:23 pm

Ultimate animal figures museum... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: The wolf has found a home   The wolf has found a home EmptyWed May 08, 2024 8:43 pm

what a wonderful set up Paige! well done! I love looking at maps as well. I've studied America quite a few times, I find it fascinating.

..by the way, I think the first map with general climate was done by someone who's never been to Australia What a Face it's a bit on the green side haha

glad that your Breyers are in good condition after their storage.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: The wolf has found a home   The wolf has found a home EmptyThu May 09, 2024 3:15 pm

I'm glad your Breyer stablemates haven't suffer to be in a box such a long time cheers
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: The wolf has found a home   The wolf has found a home EmptyThu May 09, 2024 4:42 pm

Great to see that you have decorated your walls. I like your "wallpaper" taste Very Happy. From childhood, I have had a fascination with maps and I used to have many maps on my walls when I was a child. These days it is mainly online maps I look at. It seems like an interest in maps is common among animal figure collectors. Wonderful Stablemates collection!

PostSubject: Re: The wolf has found a home   The wolf has found a home Empty

Back to top Go down

The wolf has found a home
Page 1 of 1