Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale

Go down 
+24
widukind
baltimore zoo
skysthelimit
SyLoBe
Joan Milelire
K907
PeGe
Rio
Roger
sphyrna18
remrock02
STORMnl
Silver Unicornis
Numa
Andy DC
lucky luke
smithyboy
Ana
Kikimalou
HKHollinstone
Vivien
ken yeo
SUSANNE
WILLYBACOMAN
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

Country/State : Zwolle, The Netherlands

Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale   Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 2:54 am

lol! geek cheers

Country/State : Pennsylvania, USA

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale   Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 6:35 pm

Roger wrote:
Mojo has read the comments here and they agree! Mojo will move the white patches on the head to be in a better and more correct position.
Nice work my friends! Very Happy

Has Mojo released any photos of the revised figure?
Back to top Go down
http://www.sphyrnaenterprises.com
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale   Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 7:00 pm

sphyrna18 wrote:
Roger wrote:
Mojo has read the comments here and they agree! Mojo will move the white patches on the head to be in a better and more correct position.
Nice work my friends! Very Happy

Has Mojo released any photos of the revised figure?

The photo for the catalogue was already done when I was informed about this amendment. Probably it will be introduced in factory production process! :)
If I can get more news I'll let you know! Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale   Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 7:10 pm

Great whale. So i will look to my (sub)species!! cheers

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
baltimore zoo

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 7:37 pm

Roger,
Yes, I agree I need to take some time to set up my collection! I am in the process of some home remodeling/house updating, and until I get some display cases, the collection photos will be on hold. As far as this years Mojo, I think they have improved much from last year, and in my opinion, I think their Orca and White rhino are their two nicest figures!
Now Roger, as PASSIONATE as I am about collecting(As I've mentioned I also collect Hasbro Star Wars figures(Which ARE "relative scale"(Although space ships kind of tough to do, but they TRY to make them as large as they can(New improved Millennium Falcon larger than previous), because if they made an Imperial star destroyer it would have to be like 25 feet long...and that just wouldn't work), DC Direct Batman figures (New Arkham Asylum and Arkham City figures(Which ARE made "relative scale"), and my original Jurassic Park and Lost World dino's which are somewhat "relative scale"(Although definitely not perfect, but for example the LW Bull T-Rex is huge compared to the velociraptors). So Roger, O'mighty and respected admin, I think you are a knowledgable, well versded, intelligent person, and I surely hope you would think (Despite not seeing collection photos, eventually you will) I have an animal figure collection, for do you really think I would be this out spoken, adamant and redundant about "relative scale" so that the figures look good when placed together in the same diorama/set up?
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale   Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 7:00 pm

baltimore zoo wrote:
Roger,
Yes, I agree I need to take some time to set up my collection! I am in the process of some home remodeling/house updating, and until I get some display cases, the collection photos will be on hold. As far as this years Mojo, I think they have improved much from last year, and in my opinion, I think their Orca and White rhino are their two nicest figures!
Now Roger, as PASSIONATE as I am about collecting(As I've mentioned I also collect Hasbro Star Wars figures(Which ARE "relative scale"(Although space ships kind of tough to do, but they TRY to make them as large as they can(New improved Millennium Falcon larger than previous), because if they made an Imperial star destroyer it would have to be like 25 feet long...and that just wouldn't work), DC Direct Batman figures (New Arkham Asylum and Arkham City figures(Which ARE made "relative scale"), and my original Jurassic Park and Lost World dino's which are somewhat "relative scale"(Although definitely not perfect, but for example the LW Bull T-Rex is huge compared to the velociraptors). So Roger, O'mighty and respected admin, I think you are a knowledgable, well versded, intelligent person, and I surely hope you would think (Despite not seeing collection photos, eventually you will) I have an animal figure collection, for do you really think I would be this out spoken, adamant and redundant about "relative scale" so that the figures look good when placed together in the same diorama/set up?

Balty, we know you are a collector and that you love the forum and animal replicas as much as we do. We only want to see your collection and you should feel proud of it. Remember that what makes people enjoy here is not only the chance of discuss scales or commercial strategies, but mainly the chance of seeing pictures of wonderful collection as surely is yours. :)
We all have different opinions and ways of collecting. I like figures in scale but I don't have any diorama, so I live very well without them. Fortunately I had the chance of receiving some Britains from friends and now I have 2 collections, one in scale and other to enjoy some beautiful replicas that some brands are able to make even they are not in scale.
Your examples with Star Wars are excelent to understand why it happens, try to think in a velociraptor in scale with a tyrannosaurus Rex!
I'm not an expert in dinos but I think when T-rexes arrived velociraptors were already gone! So, to make a diorama with them only works in a kind of Cretacic Park! Wink
See here a little silly diagram I've made with some comparison images! :)
Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 T-rex-velociraptor
I think there's a little more difference in size, if you want to have a velociraptor in scale with a Papo T-rex, for example, the final figure would be smaller than the Britains Kangaroo joey! What a Face affraid
With modern safety rules it is almost impossible, not even in toob figures.
I'd loved to see a brand making 1:32 figures in scale with the most popular Vintage figures in a modern concept but I also don't know if it is possible, maybe only animals from the size of a wolf and larger and surely only in a very well stablished brand as Schleich is.
As I expect a long life to this forum I hope to see soon or later your collection and continue to see you enjoying with the forum as much as you are doing! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale   Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 7:46 pm

I love your illustration, Roger !

I knew the velociraptors were smallish ( also from Sumo`s wonderful drawings of them as "dog" Wink ), but never really thought of making the comparison.
Maybe I wouldn`t have thought about the difference between an elefant and - say - a kangaroo, if I hadn`t seen them in the zoos Rolling Eyes geek scratch
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale   Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 8:16 pm

I didn't realise just how small velociraptors were! Well I've learnt something today! Laughing

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
baltimore zoo

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 9:59 am

Thanks Roger. So I can since you don't set up dioramas that "relative scale" isn't that important. But for us that do, I think it's important to have at least "some" size continuity with the figures. I use my DC Direct Batman Arkham Asylum/City figures as an example, since I will be doing a diorama display with them. Luckily they made Bane as one the larger figures(As well Killer Croc, which is a later release)! Because it would not look as good if the Bane was the same size at the Batman figure(According to DC Comics database, Bane's supposed to be 6' 8" 350 pounds). So my Arkham display will look good because they made the figs in "relative scale"!
Now with the JP figs the Bull T-Rex is a big figure(30" long) and the Velociraptor "Dino Screams" is 11" long, so that's fine to me, because they look good if displayed near each other(It wouldn't be if the Bull T-Rex was 14" long). Thanks for your photo chart drawing of a t-rex in comparison to a velociraptor. As you can see much smaller than JP'S! I believe Spielberg purposely made his larger, so I guess Hasbro did the same when they made their figures.
Yes, I look forward to being a part of the forum for a long time. Although I can be a bit out spoken about certain figures/lines(Because I definitely have different ideas about what companies should make), however, I really love my figures and seeing/reading about other collectors who share the same passion.
Back to top Go down
PeGe

PeGe

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale   Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 6:52 pm

Today was the day of the Mojo orca. With it and the Great White shark, Cape Buffalo, American Black bear, Bottlenose Dolphin and seal, some old news finally made their way to my local shop.
I was a little irritated when i first saw the orca. The pose looks like a beached specimen, but at least no open mouth comic dolphin,...the proportions and details came out better than expected, but the paintjob is a little weird. There are some marks, darker than the sprayed(?) basic colour, all over the figurine. Bad for some customers, but the total appearance of the model is accidently more realistic with them,... Very Happy
Btw.: is it only me who thinks the flippers are shape wrong?
Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 Mojoor10
Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 Mojoor11
Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 Mojoor12
Now, only the wolverine is missing to complete my 2012 Mojo wishlist. Hooray,....

Last edited by PeGe on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sphyrna18

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale   Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 8:10 pm

You're right about the pectoral fins being "off". They should be a smooth curve; round; paddle-shaped. Also, the dorsal sits a little too far forward and the body is too long behind the dorsal fin and tapers too much to the tail. BUT: the eye patches are placed appropriately above the eyes!!! Hahah. That's a win in my book! It actually is a very nice figure despite the inaccuracies. I love it.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale   Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 10:41 pm

Thanks for showing Philipp! The figure looks very interesting. I agree these "scars" give some realism to the figure but I'm not an enthusiast of them.
It is also nice to read comments from more expertized people than me. Orca pectoral fins change with age, population. Dorsal fin is different in males and females and even in subspecies. It is very hard to get them correct, mainly pectoral fins once those are mammals and have the chance of folding and stretching them. Very Happy I think they are somewhat wide but nothing special. Maybe the dorsal fin is a little forwards what automatically give the impression that the back half of the body is longer than it should be but as I commmented before, the variation between specimens is so evident that I'm not competent enough to judge the figure. To me it looks a good representation of an orca and it is nice to confirm that the brand followed the suggestion about the eye patch. Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale   Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 11:21 pm

Roger wrote:
Thanks for showing Philipp! The figure looks very interesting. I agree these "scars" give some realism to the figure but I'm not an enthusiast of them.
It is also nice to read comments from more expertized people than me. Orca pectoral fins change with age, population. Dorsal fin is different in males and females and even in subspecies. It is very hard to get them correct, mainly pectoral fins once those are mammals and have the chance of folding and stretching them. Very Happy I think they are somewhat wide but nothing special. Maybe the dorsal fin is a little forwards what automatically give the impression that the back half of the body is longer than it should be but as I commmented before, the variation between specimens is so evident that I'm not competent enough to judge the figure. To me it looks a good representation of an orca and it is nice to confirm that the brand followed the suggestion about the eye patch. Very Happy

Roger, you are right, it's a great looking figure, especially the front of it. What I meant by the back half being longer than it should be was in relation to the dorsal fin. Orcas' dorsal fins are not as far forward as some other species', so they do actually sit closer to the "halfway" point. The figure has a dorsal fin that sits a little too far forward, but it's okay. See in this picture how thick the the body is, even toward the tail?

[img]Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 Orca11[/img]

The figure's is extremely tapered to almost a point. The tail extends out quite far from the dorsal fin and the white flank mark. It probably wouldn't be so noticeable, I don't think, if the body had some movement to it, but it is almost totally, 100% straight.

[img]Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 Resize10[/img]

Still, overall a really nice Orca, and I'm definitely pleased to have added one to my collection. Just for the heck of it, take another look at this beauty from the front:

[img]Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 Sealif10[/img][img]Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 2013-010[/img][img]Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 2013-011[/img]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale   Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 12:25 am

sphyrna18 wrote:

Chad, thanks for clearing up these details. As I told you it is interesting to read your perception of the figures. I understand perfectly your explanations and I agree with you. I'm only saying that it is not easy to figure all these details but with your help everything turns easier. Very Happy It is good to have some sea life collectors here, so we can learn something more about them. Very Happy
I see both of you added that figure to your collections, it means that both of you find the figure interesting. Thanks for posting some more pictures and congratulations to both of you. Very Happy

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale   Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 7:17 pm

I was hoping someone from the STS forum would get the orca :) He doesn't look bad, except for the area between the white flank and the tail being so long Neutral Other than that, I'll most likely get him.

EDIT: His flippers are a little strange in shape, but he still doesn't look bad for a first try at making an orca.

Back to top Go down
GudrunOrca

GudrunOrca

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale   Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 20, 2013 3:11 am

Hi everyone,

My name is Bas and I am very new to this forum, but I am definitely in there when it comes to being enthusiastic about collecting figurines. I particularly collect orca/killer whales. In the past I have taken some pictures of my collection, which I will add to different post. There have been some additions over the years in between, so updates are sure to follow! Stay tuned for those! Cool 

As people around me first think of me when anything about orca comes up, you might call me a bit of an orca maniac/connoisseur/guru/whiz/nerd... study  Therefore, I know myself to be quite particular/finicky/fussy when it comes to judging the naturalistic look of orca figurines. Reading this thread, I am very pleased indeed to hear that the manufacturer Mojo is paying attention to the comments from collectors. As a customer, I have always felt very insignificant, but I am delighted to have found this active community of collectors whose opinions are being valued by the industry.

I cannot wait to add the Mojo orca to my collection, especially knowing that its eyepatch has been properly positioned. That is excellent! In the initial model photographs I have seen, the saddle patch (the grey patch behind the dorsal fin) looks more defined than the production model in later pictures, which I think is a bit of a shame. However, when looking at it from a manufacturer's perspective, there will always be variation in the hand-painting result. It would be great, however, if the production model could have a more prominent saddle patch.

The fact that this model has its mouth closed (and properly closed at that, not even showing teeth!) is also really great!
When traveling/slow swimming, it is very rare for an orca to have its mouth open, unless it is yawning or using body language to communicate, or if it has just finished a meal. A great example is orcagirl26's avatar, which shows a magnificent male orca breaching, with its mouth closed. Other cetacean models, like great whales (blue, humpback, fin, minke) are usually created with closed mouths as well (or at least closable, as the Papo humpback whale). However, as some of you have already demonstrated in other threads, orca models tend to be made with their mouths open. The fact that the orca is the ocean's top predator, and has an impressive set of teeth in its mouth, probably is one of the main reasons why manufacturers might be inclined to produce orca models with jaws agape. Similarly to great white sharks, with an equally fearsome reputation. Nevertheless, when swimming, it is, of course, way more energy efficient to close your mouth, to improve hydrodynamics/streamlining.

What I would like to see in orca models is the white markings of the chin/throat, to protrude slightly above the shoulder/front end of the pectoral fin. This is seen in orcas all over the world, regardless of ecotype/species/subspecies. What Mojo have perfectly done is to let this white marking extend just above the corner of the mouth, before letting it dip down towards the belly. That is also something manufacturers seem to be disregarding (probably also for ease of hand-painting).

I agree with the comments regarding the back end of this model being too slender. Though tapering towards the flukes, orcas are generally more bulky towards the back. Especially when realizing that this is the business end when it comes to this animal's swimming power.
Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 Orca-u10
The powerful swimming muscles start just below the dorsal fin and run all the way down to the flukes/tail fins. These are powerful enough for orcas to be able to propel their entire bodies completely clear of the water, at unbelievable height at that!
Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 48317311
And it's not just agile young females that are capable of such feats.
Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 Seawor11
Also large adult bull orcas can breach clear of the water.

To conclude my rant, I want to congratulate Mojo with their creation of the 2012 orca model. I am just over the moon that you listened to the remarks regarding the eyepatch and sorted it before production of the model! That is certainly something that deserves praise! Applause cheers
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale   Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 20, 2013 9:10 am

Welcome here Bas:-)

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale   Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 20, 2013 9:22 am

GudrunOrca wrote:

Hello Bas! Very Happy Thanks for your very interesting and enthusiastic post. cheers
I enjoy particularly monospecific collections and orcas are magnificent animals. Very Happy
I hope we really have the chance of watching your collection. bounce bounce
Welcome on forum. Very Happy

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale   Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 20, 2013 9:37 am

Welcome on forum Bas!! Very interesting comments and info about orcas sunny
I would be happy to see photos of collection of our new orca maniac Very Happy cheers

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale   Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 20, 2013 9:40 am

Hello, and wellcome here Very Happy 

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale   Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 21, 2013 9:44 am

Welcome here Bas Very Happy  I wish you will enjoy our village and I hope you will show and comment a lot of Orca models Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
trevok4

trevok4

Country/State : london UK

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale   Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 21, 2013 10:35 am

welcome here

A-J

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale   Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 21, 2013 12:52 pm

Welcome Bas!

Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/ajs.artistry/
ken yeo

ken yeo

Country/State : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale   Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 3:21 am

Welcome Bas!

GudrunOrca

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale   Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 3:02 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale   Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Mojo 2012 Orca/Killerwhale
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3