Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

2012 African Elephants

Go down 
+9
skysthelimit
Numa
HKHollinstone
Kristie
Arnaud
SUSANNE
ken yeo
Roger
SeanieP
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SeanieP

SeanieP

Country/State : Woburn (Boston), MA US

2012 African Elephants Empty
PostSubject: 2012 African Elephants   2012 African Elephants EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 12:10 am

They are great--the photos do not do them justice. Now I am in a dilemma confused do I create a new herd from the 2012 elephants or mixed them with the former elephants??? has anyone else gotten the elephants yet--very impressed! What I was not impressed with was the HUGE scale difference with the elephants and pelican! the pelican is just as big. And the stork stands above the elephants, so I am told. I know the scale of all Schleich animals have never been in line but these are major differences. But as I write this and see all the 2012 releases together...maybe it is the elephants that are way off scale??!
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: 2012 African Elephants   2012 African Elephants EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 1:08 am

All Schleich figures are not really in scale and if you try to find the scale you will find it. As there's no scale we never know if the elephants are small or the storks large. Anyway people uses the zebras, that are about 1:22 scale. If you considere these figures, the elephants are really small and the birds are huge. :)
If your hobby is collecting Schleich, forget scales. :)
The new elephants are beautiful and cute, but the old elephants were already pretty, mainly Africans, as are all elephants from all brands, I guess! People was disappointed mainly because they are very small as the previous figures, they are almost the same sculptings, proportions are also almost the same. What happened was mainly an updating in terms of texture and painting. It was much better to see really different figures, more realistic and with different poses and not some more nice elephants! elephant
Any collector has its way of collecting, I'll give my old Schleich elephants to children and replace them with more realistic versions, not necessarily from Schleich. But, if you want to make a herd, you can use from many brands because they are almost the same size. Or also use only different generations of Schleich. scratch
Back to top Go down
ken yeo

ken yeo

Country/State : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: 2012 African Elephants   2012 African Elephants EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 4:40 am

I do agree is not ugly for the elephants for 2012 & what I don't like is not proportionate to scale. Apparently the legs are too short for elephant. If you are particular for scale I do have say that this might not for you.

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: 2012 African Elephants   2012 African Elephants EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 9:45 am

Laughing Laughing I like the new elefants, esp the Asian female and baby are nice. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
Arnaud

Arnaud

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: 2012 African Elephants   2012 African Elephants EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 12:44 pm

Has a brand already made elephants in scale ? If they were as big as the Schleich fight elephant, do you think they would sell well ? A complete family would be too expensive and most people don't have enough room for them !

Some Asian elephants have really short legs. Maybe the African elephants are less accurate ?

Anyway, I will definitely buy them !! They are gorgeous !!
Back to top Go down
Kristie

Kristie

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: 2012 African Elephants   2012 African Elephants EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 12:51 pm

I have not seen the new Elephants (or any of the 2012 animals) in person, but they look nice! I didn't realize they were the same animals, only modified. I assumed they were going to be bigger! But apparently not so.

I thought they were already great!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

elephant -Kristie
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: 2012 African Elephants   2012 African Elephants EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 1:04 pm

That's the only reason I won't buy them, because of the scale. With other animals it doesn't look so bad in a display, but with an elephant they are huge creatures and to me would look silly in my display.
I could display them somewhere else, but I don't have room Sad
Anyway I'm happy with my WW safari Ltd elephants drunken cheers
Congratulations Shawn cheers

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
Numa
Numa

Country/State : England, UK

PostSubject: Re: 2012 African Elephants   2012 African Elephants EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 1:18 pm

You are right, the Pelican and Stork do appear to be much much bigger than previous versions that put them out of scale in a very obvious way.

Yes all Schleich animals are not in scale however the previous Pelican and Storks were much better and appealing in size.

I have also noticed that the farm animals were always bigger than the wildlife models, particularly the cows and horses so if this is the case how comes the Alpaca family (placed in the farm range) is so small? They actually suit the wildlife range better.

Yes no animal is in scale but I also thought that Schleich were trying to tidy this up somewhat in the last few years given that the Zebra and antelopes are similar in scale - and particularly the Arctic fox which is very small - smaller than the rabbits. If this is the case then what happened with the giant pelican and storks? confusing.....
Back to top Go down
skysthelimit

skysthelimit

Country/State : Serbia

PostSubject: Re: 2012 African Elephants   2012 African Elephants EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 2:14 pm

Numaan wrote:

I have also noticed that the farm animals were always bigger than the wildlife models, particularly the cows and horses...
Speaking of that, it's much easier for Schleich to stay in scale with farm animals when you have a size range from chicken to horse. It's much harder to do the same when you balance from meerkats to African elephants. Of course, that doesn't explain the birds...

SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: 2012 African Elephants   2012 African Elephants EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 3:58 pm

Good point, Robert Very Happy Wink
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: 2012 African Elephants   2012 African Elephants EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 4:06 pm

I thought it could be fun to compare the retiret ones with the new one, so I took some quick pictures, - sorry if the quality isn`t too good Embarassed

Esp the African bull is very similar to the one he replaces. But certainly an improvement, I think . Hmmm, perhaps the African baby is an exception Rolling Eyes Very Happy
What do y`all think ? scratch
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: 2012 African Elephants   2012 African Elephants EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 4:12 pm

:) :)

Magnific pictures of comparison Sussane.Thanks.

What beautiful are elephants arrow arrow arrow of course is my avatar.
Back to top Go down
Arnaud

Arnaud

PostSubject: Re: 2012 African Elephants   2012 African Elephants EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 4:20 pm

Susanne, your photos are great and very interesting. As you know, I always show comparison between models when I share my new additions !!

I like these new elephants : new color and skin texture, more details (ears..), longer tusks (very very good point) !!
Back to top Go down
SeanieP

SeanieP

Country/State : Woburn (Boston), MA US

PostSubject: Re: 2012 African Elephants   2012 African Elephants EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 4:23 pm

thanks for the comparison pics. They show a lot. I really like the new bull much better as it is not just in a straight slow walking postion but has its head cocked to its left. The colors are a little different as the 2004/5 are brownish and the 2012 are more grey.

I have the previous storks from Schleich which are better scaled than the new ones. I guess I have to remember it is not all about me and my diorama but the child who plays with them! Laughing

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: 2012 African Elephants   2012 African Elephants EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 4:27 pm

Thankyou, I am very happy that they are useful Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kristie

Kristie

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: 2012 African Elephants   2012 African Elephants EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 4:43 pm

Comparison photos are great, thank you Susanne! :)

-Kristie
Back to top Go down
Vivien

Vivien

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: 2012 African Elephants   2012 African Elephants EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 5:13 pm

Thank you,Susanne. flower These pictures are very useful for me as I'm still not sure if I should buy the new Elephants or not. scratch elephant scratch
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: 2012 African Elephants   2012 African Elephants EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 6:12 pm

Thanks for your pictures, Susanne! They are useful indeed! :)
A little, very little improovment for a figure that is updated arround 7 years before. We all have different ways of collecting, for someone like Susanne that collect variations they look surely very different, for someone like me that make a little selection of what is available in the market these differences are only little updates in texture and painting. Almost the same legs, heads, proportions, the same toyish but beautiful elephants! elephant
Even some China elephants are beautiful, I think we are not discussing the beautiness but the realism. Of course any collects what gives more joy. :)
The pictures are nice enough to see that in terms of realism there's nothing new in these figures. People loves them? Of course, most part of us loved the previous even they are brown and shiny. Beautiness is an abstract thing. But scale is a measurable question, I'll say again, there's no scale in Schleich figures, when someone asks if a figure is in scale with Schleich is saying a wrong thing. About a large elephant in 1:22 scale, if it would sell? Surely not as much as these mini elephants but Schleich mad a huge fantazy elephant with a warrior, why not in wild series? What's the difference? :)
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: 2012 African Elephants   2012 African Elephants EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 6:43 pm

Thankyou Roger flower

Roger wrote:

.... why not in wild series? What's the difference? :)

The easy ansver is : Price Laughing
Little John or Mary ask Grandmother for an elefant.
I am sure she is more easy to persuade if the elefant costs 6 Euros than if it costs 20 Rolling Eyes

Personally I am over-joyed that they are not in scale. I just didn`t have room for them if they were What a Face
And..I am sorry to say that I don`t care at all about scale Embarassed

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: 2012 African Elephants   2012 African Elephants EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 7:26 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
Thankyou Roger flower

Roger wrote:

.... why not in wild series? What's the difference? :)

The easy ansver is : Price Laughing
Little John or Mary ask Grandmother for an elefant.
I am sure she is more easy to persuade if the elefant costs 6 Euros than if it costs 20 Rolling Eyes

Personally I am over-joyed that they are not in scale. I just didn`t have room for them if they were What a Face
And..I am sorry to say that I don`t care at all about scale Embarassed

That's the reason why I'm saying I have 2 collection, one in scale, mainly Britains and 54mm scale friends. And another with figures not in scale like Schleich, CollectA, Mojo, etc. :)
I also don't need huge elephants, I don't have the beautiful WWW from Safari and surely will not buy the white warrior from Schleich, but the price of a wild life series would not be higher than the white warrior. elephant albino
They also can offer both versions as it happens with Safari.
The problem is that Schleich is loosing even the ilusive sensation of scale, before many people thought than a hedgehog is larger than an elephant paw, but now nobody believes that a stork is taller than an elephant. :)
I only wanted that people knew that there's no Schleich scale and that's all. It is always better to live with the things as they are than believe that they are what we want when they are not. :)
Except Santa Claus! santa Laughing flower
Back to top Go down
Suebeedo

Suebeedo

Country/State : Spokane, Washington, USA

PostSubject: Re: 2012 African Elephants   2012 African Elephants EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 7:29 pm

Thank you for starting this thread Sean.

Thank you Susanne for the photo comparison. They do look wonderful. I love the baby elephants, and think they have done extremely well with the added detail in all the figures.

Susanne, would you mind showing a comparison of the Schleich 2012 Asian family and the Papo?

That is one thing I was disappointed in when I received the Papo Asian elephants...I thought they were much smaller than the Schleich, but I didn't have any Schleich to compare them with anymore. I sold mine and I am sure alot of you know that the cost to ship those solid figures really adds up!

Though the size is wrong with the rest of the wild animal figures ,I am in full agreement with others on the forum wishing the companies could make them larger for us but understand why they can't. Maybe they could make them Hollow inside so it would cost less and weigh less. But for now I have decided for a diorama I would just place the elephants at the back of the scene and take a photo from the front so it just looks like they are far away... drunken and so bigger... Wink cheers

~ Sue
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: 2012 African Elephants   2012 African Elephants EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 9:19 pm

I am sorry, Sur, I don`t have the Indian elefants from Papo. Crying or Very sad
Perhaps somebody else can make a picture with comparison ?

Here is the African female next to the one from Papo and her family. elephant
Perhaps it can give you an idea untill somebody may have a better picture ? scratch

Laughing Laughing Doesn`t it look like tha Papo lady says : Hey, you! Stay away from my man ! You have got fat legs and a big head!!! 🐰 Laughing
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: 2012 African Elephants   2012 African Elephants EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 9:29 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing elephant
I love your picture, Susanne! :)
Thanks for showing! Poor Schleich, we must accept the differences! Sad Wink
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: 2012 African Elephants   2012 African Elephants EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 9:33 pm

Thank you for the comparison photos Susanne cheers I think I like the african adult elephants the best out of the new ones. I love you
The Papo elephant (the one in the middle) is lovely! I wish it were a bigger scale Sad

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
Arnaud

Arnaud

PostSubject: Re: 2012 African Elephants   2012 African Elephants EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 11:52 pm

I don't really care about the scale. Each animal is unique. I don't make dioramas or things like that. I don't mind if they are not at the right scale. And, as said before, it would be too difficult (and expensive) to make everything in scale when you go from a tiny meerkat to a giant whale...

On the photo, my favourite is the Schleich one. I agree that his legs and head might not have the good dimensions, but the realism of a figurine does not ONLY consists in its scale/dimensions. The texture, the details of the skin, the color of the skin and tusks are also very important to me. Everyone has his own idea of realism. For example, we could also discuss the realism when people keep huge tags on their figurines.

I agree it is quite strange to change the scale for the same model, the stork and pelican if I understand correctly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2012 African Elephants   2012 African Elephants Empty

Back to top Go down

2012 African Elephants
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Animal toy figures reviews and discussions :: Major brands :: Schleich-
Jump to: