Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

3 new palm species

Go down 
+4
Roger
scot(t)
widukind
Philter4
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Philter4

Philter4

Country/State : Back and forth between East and West coast of the U.S.A.

3 new palm species Empty
PostSubject: 3 new palm species   3 new palm species EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 5:54 pm

I mentioned in the new diorama build thread that I have been working on some new palm trees, well, here are 3 new species that I have just finished.

I made a set for Amy, she got some copernicia palms which are not a new species for me, I love the shape of the fronds, they form a wave and are a greyish green color instead of olive green. This one is from my diorama.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Here are the new species, the first is a foxtail palm, then a bottle palm, and finally a flame thrower palm.

I have seen all 3 species live, the foxtail is very common in Florida but I don't believe it is a native. It is a difficult palm to make, the fronds are 3 dimensional, not just flat like the other palms I have made. It took twice as long to make this small one as it did to make all of the others because I had to make 3 sets of fronds and glue them together in a spiral around the central stem.

Next are the bottle palms. These are common in Hawaii even though they are from the islands in the Indian Ocean. They are another of my favorite palm trees along with the lipstick palms. They do well in Florida so on my next trip I am thinking about planting one near my room window, I am looking for one to grow in California even though they are tropical, I'll just have to grow it inside year round. I made quite a few of these, 2 for Amy and 2 for my dioramas, I have another done and one partly done that I'm going to put on ebay.

Finally here is a flame thrower palm. It is a fantastic plant if you live where it is warm enough to keep it, I can't even get them to live in Florida, the winters get too cold but in Hawaii there are a few that are display trees in public gardens and I saw one in the backyard of a house on my last trip there. One of the most interesting things about this palm is the new leaves come out in various shades of red or orange. As the leaf matures and a new one comes in it changes color to match the other fronds but until it is green the color is bright and stands out. There are several color varieties available on the live trees, blonde, red, yellow and orange are the most common. I made 5 of these, 2 for Amy, 1 for my diorama, and the other 2 will go on ebay.
Back to top Go down
http://philter4@d-web.com
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

3 new palm species Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 new palm species   3 new palm species EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 6:06 pm

Wonderful palms - very phantastic!! Great work Phil!! cheers cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

scot(t)

Country/State : USA

3 new palm species Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 new palm species   3 new palm species EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 6:41 pm

those are very cool. really nicely done!
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

3 new palm species Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 new palm species   3 new palm species EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 11:01 pm

Phil, always very artistic, realistic and interesting! Congratulations for you and Amy! Very Happy

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

3 new palm species Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 new palm species   3 new palm species EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 3:49 am

Great palm again Phil cheers I'm sure Amy will love them Very Happy

scratch Please, could you share more pics ?
Back to top Go down
Kristie

Kristie

Country/State : USA

3 new palm species Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 new palm species   3 new palm species EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 4:27 am

Those are fantastic! :)

-Kristie
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

3 new palm species Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 new palm species   3 new palm species EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 9:03 am

They are beautyful, an enormously well done cheers

How interesting to learn about these palms, which I never knwe anything about if not for you study

Thankyou for showing, and thankyou for telling about these interesting plants flower

STORMnl

STORMnl

Country/State : Nijmegen-Netherlands

3 new palm species Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 new palm species   3 new palm species EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 9:33 pm

This are indeed very wel made palms,,i like them very much

well done

Martien

3 new palm species Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 new palm species   3 new palm species Empty

Back to top Go down

3 new palm species
Page 1 of 1