Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Azores Bullfinch, have you ever heard?

Go down 
+2
SUSANNE
Roger
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

Azores Bullfinch, have you ever heard? Empty
PostSubject: Azores Bullfinch, have you ever heard?   Azores Bullfinch, have you ever heard? EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 5:18 pm

Once upon a time, a beautiful little bird that only existed in a part of a single island in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, disapeared... forever! Sad
That island is called São Miguel, in Azores Archipelago, an autonomous region of Portugal
The bird was known locally as "priolo" - the Azores bullfinch! Very Happy
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Probably, in near future, that can be a true and sad story.
I decided to share with you a campaign for the preservation of this already rare and extremely endangered bird. Maybe we can make something to give new colors to that story. sunny
You can read more here!
Or just see this video directly on forum.

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Azores Bullfinch, have you ever heard?   Azores Bullfinch, have you ever heard? EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 5:48 pm

Uhhh, isn`t it terrible how humans can declare a beautyful songbird a pest, and almost wipe it from the face of the earth What a Face

The Passenger Pigeon in America, the Dodo and...well, look at * this * almost endless list.
Of course it is not all due to Man, but we sure have a lot on our conscience pale

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Azores Bullfinch, have you ever heard?   Azores Bullfinch, have you ever heard? EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 5:49 pm

Interesting and a good idea to post that here- i hope the money would be enough Very Happy

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Azores Bullfinch, have you ever heard?   Azores Bullfinch, have you ever heard? EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 11:10 pm

Thanks Susanne and Andreas for reading and also for the link. Very Happy Very Happy
2014 will be the centenary of the death of the last passenger pigeon. study

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: Azores Bullfinch, have you ever heard?   Azores Bullfinch, have you ever heard? EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 8:02 am

So sad, they're just beautifu birds. Thanks for posting Roger, I hope they can manage to continue the project and save the species.

We sometimes, very very rarely have one or two bullfinches in the garden. One came right up to the lounge window, I guess it was after the spiders from the corners or maybe the white paint that had flaked off entised it, thinking they were seeds. I went to get the camera but typically it had gone by the time I'd returned.

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Azores Bullfinch, have you ever heard?   Azores Bullfinch, have you ever heard? EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 4:13 pm

Thank You for sharing Roger. I very much hope the species will survive in future.

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Azores Bullfinch, have you ever heard?   Azores Bullfinch, have you ever heard? EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 5:21 pm

Again a beautiful animal with a very sad story and I'm afraid the list of nearly extinct animals is alas far bigger than my wishlist What a Face
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Azores Bullfinch, have you ever heard?   Azores Bullfinch, have you ever heard? Empty

Back to top Go down

Azores Bullfinch, have you ever heard?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: What else ? :: Wildlife-
Jump to: