Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How do I make bases for models?

Go down 
+3
SUSANNE
Ana
tyrantqueen
7 posters
AuthorMessage
tyrantqueen

tyrantqueen

Country/State : England, UK

How do I make bases for models? Empty
PostSubject: How do I make bases for models?   How do I make bases for models? EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 3:07 pm

I want to know how to make bases for models from scratch, especially for models that are suspended in the air (for insects, birds, etc in flight)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I tried making a base of rocks from styrofoam and a support rod from dowel wood, but it tipped over when I put the model on it. Then I tried using epoxy putty but the same thing happened Sad

Anyone know of any tutorials, or who can offer advice?
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: How do I make bases for models?   How do I make bases for models? EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 3:23 pm

It sounds like you tried good methods scratch Maybe these bases were too light weight? For Heavier models you usually will need heavy or bigger base.
If you need translucent elements you can try casting them from product called Crystal Clear.

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
tyrantqueen

tyrantqueen

PostSubject: Re: How do I make bases for models?   How do I make bases for models? EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Ana wrote:
It sounds like you tried good methods scratch Maybe these bases were too light weight? For Heavier models you usually will need heavy or bigger base.
If you need translucent elements you can try casting them from product called Crystal Clear.
Thanks a bunch flower I discoved a product called "Liquid Gravity" which might be useful for weighting bases.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: How do I make bases for models?   How do I make bases for models? EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 4:59 pm

I would very much like to learn also bounce bounce

Many of my poor , standing critters have to carry the pteranodons and such Crying or Very sad

Sometimes I use a little glass, but it does look like...a glass with a model on Rolling Eyes

ReinbowSchleich

ReinbowSchleich

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: How do I make bases for models?   How do I make bases for models? EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 8:11 pm

Here is a great tutorial.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
tyrantqueen

tyrantqueen

PostSubject: Re: How do I make bases for models?   How do I make bases for models? EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 11:34 pm

ReinbowSchleich wrote:
Here is a great tutorial.
Thanks a bunch :)
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: How do I make bases for models?   How do I make bases for models? EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 8:58 am

Arrrh ! I can`t see it Crying or Very sad

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: How do I make bases for models?   How do I make bases for models? EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 9:10 pm

Today i discover for my bases "Flexplast" a soft and shapeable white Material easy to paint Very Happy 

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: How do I make bases for models?   How do I make bases for models? EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 9:11 pm

widukind wrote:
Today i discover for my bases "Flexplast" a soft and shapeable white Material easy to paint Very Happy 

Now i need a little bit talent but i only need easy bases Laughing Laughing Laughing 

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sumo

Sumo

Country/State : Norway

PostSubject: Re: How do I make bases for models?   How do I make bases for models? EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 9:31 pm

I've spent ages looking for clear plastic rods for mounting models, but they seem to be very hard to find. Games Workshop has some nice clear plastic rod and base systems for flying models, though:

If you prefer building your own I suggest Apoxie Sculpt for the base itself. It's pretty heavy, even when dry. My beloved Tamiya Velociraptors have nice bases, but they're made from lightweight plastic which means that once you add any weight to the model, the whole thing tips over. A glob of apoxie under the base is great for adding weight and stability.

Back to top Go down
koniminiatures

koniminiatures

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: How do I make bases for models?   How do I make bases for models? EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 7:06 pm

I, too, recommend epoxy for building bases; it is easy to texture and reasonably heavy in itself. Furthermore, it can be easily made heavier yet by concealing a coated piece of lead (one gets these from fabric & sewing stores - they're meant for discreetly weighting curtains for a better drape) or just plain pebbles in the putty before it sets.

As for the acrylic rods, I have a plastic factory outlet store in my town who sell clear acrylic rods (and tubes - cheaper and stronger than solid rod in larger circumferences) by the meter. I popped there to enquire about their pricing recently, and got this:

A meter of clear acrylic rod with a circumference of 0,5cm: 6,77€
With a circumference of 0,8cm: 10,66€
With a circumference of 1,2cm: 19,26€.

It isn't dirt cheap, but it is a great deal cheaper than the ready-cut rods sold at hobby stores etc. If anyone wants to order from them through me, I'd be more than happy to oblige - just shoot me a PM. They have everything from 3mm up, I think. From 1cm upwards it may be a better idea to go for clear, rigid acrylic tubing instead of solid rod, though, as it is a great deal cheaper. They do also sell flat plexiglass in different colours (also transparent) and depths, if one wants to make a clear base out of that.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do I make bases for models?   How do I make bases for models? Empty

Back to top Go down

How do I make bases for models?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Animal toy figures reviews and discussions :: Customs and Homemade models :: Custom figures and accessories-
Jump to: