Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Show us yours: TAPIRS

Go down 
+31
Joliezac
Jill
Bonnie
Florian
costicuba
Wilorvise
smallscaleworld
Roger
JonasV
Tarunyada
jarda
ulinuk
krista
Noémi
PeGe
Carola
75senta75
landrover
lucky luke
zonk
mreyder
AlvinCK
NightLioness
Saarlooswolfhound
scot(t)
Kikimalou
NandO
widukind
SUSANNE
LeeAnn
Ana
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

Show us yours: TAPIRS - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show us yours: TAPIRS   Show us yours: TAPIRS - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2022 12:54 am

Many brands make tapirs, and all are really lovely.
Congrast

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours: TAPIRS   Show us yours: TAPIRS - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2022 9:27 am

Lovely figures of my favourite animal

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
FlaffyRaptors

FlaffyRaptors

Country/State : United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours: TAPIRS   Show us yours: TAPIRS - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2022 9:02 pm

Thanks for the kind words everyone! This trio is quickly becoming some of my favourite figures in my collection. Now I normally don't collect juvenile specimens, but I just had to get the Schleich juvenile tapir. While too big for the new Schleich Malayan, it displays very well with the Safari figure.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

On another note; I plan to get the "new" brown Mojo Tapir to represent the Amazonian tapir, with the original grey one representing the Columbian tapir.
However as noted by many, the new paint deco lacks the distinct white cheeks of the species. Does anyone have any recommendations for white-colour marker pens that are compatible with plastic figurines? I'd like to do some minor customization to re-add the white cheeks + white tipped ears & trunk.
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours: TAPIRS   Show us yours: TAPIRS - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2022 9:48 pm

I think you'd get on better with paint than marker pens, as someone experienced with both for different reasons!
The white paint pens we use at work are very fluid and it would be impossibly to gently add the colour a little at a time - it'd be a pure white blob with harsh outlines and not enough control. Also, they're not water-soluble, so there's no easy way to remove any mistakes or take it off if you didn't like how it looked (in fact, we use industrial graffiti remover spray, which would also strip off the brown original paint)
Acrylic paint, smudged on very very thinly with a brush or cotton bud, looks much more subtle, and would blend better with factory finish paintwork. You just keep adding faint layers til it looks white enough. The kind you get in pound shops, or the kiddie craft section, would be fine for a minor bit of customisation with just white, no need to track down the expensive high quality model paints.
And it wipes off easily if you go wrong - I've often just licked my thumb and rubbed off a bit of paint which wasn't going quite how I wanted it, as long as you catch it while it's wet you can clean back to the original paint and try again.

FlaffyRaptors

FlaffyRaptors

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours: TAPIRS   Show us yours: TAPIRS - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2022 10:08 pm

George wrote:
I think you'd get on better with paint than marker pens, as someone experienced with both for different reasons!
The white paint pens we use at work are very fluid and it would be impossibly to gently add the colour a little at a time - it'd be a pure white blob with harsh outlines and not enough control. Also, they're not water-soluble, so there's no easy way to remove any mistakes or take it off if you didn't like how it looked (in fact, we use industrial graffiti remover spray, which would also strip off the brown original paint)
Acrylic paint, smudged on very very thinly with a brush or cotton bud, looks much more subtle, and would blend better with factory finish paintwork. You just keep adding faint layers til it looks white enough. The kind you get in pound shops, or the kiddie craft section, would be fine for a minor bit of customisation with just white, no need to track down the expensive high quality model paints.
And it wipes off easily if you go wrong - I've often just licked my thumb and rubbed off a bit of paint which wasn't going quite how I wanted it, as long as you catch it while it's wet you can clean back to the original paint and try again.

Thank you for sharing your experience! In the past, I mainly use alcohol-based markers like Copic markers for my minor touch-ups. The benefit of them being water resistant. If I wanted to correct a mistake, or achieve more subtle colours, I'd dab the area with a tissue/cotton bud that had been lightly soaked with rubbing alcohol.

Definitely open to trying acrylic paints though, but will also have to explore options for matte paint sealers/varnish. Are there any particular brands of paint or varnish you recommend? Or does any random one from the arts n crafts store work well for touch-ups like the ones I'm trying to achieve?
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours: TAPIRS   Show us yours: TAPIRS - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2022 10:40 pm

Acrylic, once it's dry, is water resistant too, that's why it's so ideal for figures. You can even give them a gentle wipe over if they get dirty, as long as you're not soaking for hours or really scrubbing at it, the paint stays on just fine.

Personally, I never use sealer or varnish. I've just never found the need for it - my paint doesn't rub or peel or fade or attract dirt or....whatever's supposed to happen without sealer Laughing I've got custom painted horses which have lasted fifteen years of occasional handling, outdoor photoshoots, wrapping up to take to shows, playing accidental dominoes with their shelfmates, wiping with a damp cloth if they get fly poo or much dust on them...and their paint's still fine.

I use Citadel paints by Games Workshop, but only cos I do full repaints with shaded and blended paintwork, so I have most shades of colour I might need and can just dip into those for touchups too. It's expensive per pot, though, and you'd only need a tiny bit, so I'd go with poundland-style acrylics instead - either the 'art' ones in little metal tubes where you get a set of colours for £1, or the bigger squeezy plastic tubes for £1 each that are usually in the kids section. I use them for painting my background scenery stuff and they're ok, not nice enough for full repaints as they don't cover very thoroughly and take longer to dry, but for a small amount of added white shading like you're planning, they'd do just fine.

FlaffyRaptors

FlaffyRaptors

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours: TAPIRS   Show us yours: TAPIRS - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2022 4:35 pm

Nothing too exciting, but I'm happy to acquire the new brown repaint of the Mojo Tapir. They work great as a pair, as well as representing different subspecies of T. terrestris. I'm using the original grey to represent the Columbian Tapir "T. t. colombianus"; while the brown one will be used to represent the Amazon Tapir "T. t. terrestris". I'd like to get a third figure to represent the Chaqueños tapir "T. t. spegazzinii", but I neither have the skill nor resources to properly capture the unique features of the subspecies (the fading brown-grey coat is definitely a challenge to replicate).

As for the Kabomani Tapir... the Mojo sculpt is too large, and certain features of the head prevent it from being able to represent the elusive little tapir in my collection.
Happy couple! Razz
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours: TAPIRS   Show us yours: TAPIRS - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2022 6:46 pm

Very nice! I was skeptical about getting the Mojo brown version but after seeing your photos I think I’ll add it to my collection. Congrats!

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours: TAPIRS   Show us yours: TAPIRS - Page 7 EmptySat Apr 02, 2022 6:11 pm

cheers cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours: TAPIRS   Show us yours: TAPIRS - Page 7 EmptySat Apr 02, 2022 7:25 pm

They are beautyful cheers

widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours: TAPIRS   Show us yours: TAPIRS - Page 7 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2022 1:04 pm

newcomer

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours: TAPIRS   Show us yours: TAPIRS - Page 7 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2022 2:37 pm

Wonderful tapir !!! He looks SO friendly I love you
What material is it ?

widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours: TAPIRS   Show us yours: TAPIRS - Page 7 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2022 5:51 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
Wonderful tapir !!! He looks SO friendly I love you
What material is it ?

Thank you, same material like Major brands

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours: TAPIRS   Show us yours: TAPIRS - Page 7 EmptyWed Nov 22, 2023 2:31 pm

F. Fischer

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours: TAPIRS   Show us yours: TAPIRS - Page 7 EmptyFri Nov 24, 2023 11:49 pm

A great odlie cheers
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours: TAPIRS   Show us yours: TAPIRS - Page 7 EmptySat Nov 25, 2023 2:03 pm

Thank you

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours: TAPIRS   Show us yours: TAPIRS - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Show us yours: TAPIRS
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7