Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Britains horses

Go down 
+9
Kikimalou
Ana
Roger
Taos
SUSANNE
LeeAnn
widukind
DaveScriv
Chris Sweetman
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

Britains horses - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 11:21 pm

mreyder wrote:

I have much more fotos of my Britains-animals, but i am a bit hesitant to show them here: i did before and people who use Google Chrome as a browser have some problems with my pics; apparently they get a warning from Google that my site (where my photos are) contains a virus: only Google Chrome gives this warning, i think it is because of a piece of scripting i use. So: if a lot of members use Chrome and will have problems, i will delete these photos and stop putting photos here.

We would love surely your interesting contributions here. The problem is that although STS is not related with these messages Chrome gives, it makes people not get confortable how how safe is to visit the forum. Actually, the problem is www.bokkerijdersburcht.nl. Chrome explains it but not everyone knows it is not related with STS.
I am sure a big part of our members uses Chrome as long as it is probably the best of most popular browsers. :)
www.imgur.com is the easiest tool I know to host pictures, you only have to drag and drop the pictures directly from your computer to the images section of the IMGUR website .
Clicking on uploaded picture, you'll have the bbcode that you can copy with a single click, directly to your post on forum. You don't even have to use the message tools of STS.

mreyder

Country/State : Holland

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 9:20 am

I am still a Internet Explorer-user  Smile  I know i can upload the pics to a host of pics, sometimes i use Photobucket for this, in case of pics (of non-Britains-items) which i don't show on my own website. But there are thousands of pics on my site (my Britains-collection contains at the moment more then 8000 items) and i'm not going to upload these pics to a photo-host: to much work. Even if i would upload the pics which i want to show here: uploading 1 pic takes several minutes. I work 60 hours a week, have to take care of my owm farm (lots of animals), so i just don't have the time for this. Apart from this: ONLY Google Chrome has this problem with my site, other browsers (eqcually popular ones like Firefox, Safari and Internet Explorer) don't: so, in my oppinion the problem lies mainly at Chrome. I just can say to people who are interested in old Britains-animals etc: take a look at my site. I'm sorry that the Menu is in Dutch, i hope interested people still find their way on the site. And for anyone who has questions about the site: feel free to PM me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bokkerijdersburcht.nl/britains
DaveScriv

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 9:25 am

Super boxed 6F Plough sets, I especially like the post-war one, which I think is actually rarer than the older pre-war one.

Those tan plastic cart horses are also very rare. I only have one (the other leg positions one), despite buying as many of these plastic cart horses, usually in brown or white, as I can over the years.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 9:32 am

mreyder wrote:
I am still a Internet Explorer-user  Smile   I know i can upload the pics to a host of pics, sometimes i use Photobucket for this, in case of pics (of non-Britains-items) which i don't show on my own website. But there are thousands of pics on my site (my Britains-collection contains at the moment more then 8000 items) and i'm not going to upload these pics to a photo-host: to much work. Even if i would upload the pics which i want to show here: uploading 1 pic takes several minutes. I work 60 hours a week, have to take care of my owm farm (lots of animals), so i just don't have the time for this. Apart from this: ONLY Google Chrome has this problem with my site, other browsers (eqcually popular ones like Firefox, Safari and Internet Explorer) don't: so, in my oppinion the problem lies mainly at Chrome. I just can say to people who are interested in old Britains-animals etc: take a look at my site. I'm sorry  that the Menu is in Dutch, i hope interested people still find their way on the site. And for anyone who has questions about the site: feel free to PM me.

I understand, as from these 4 popular browsers, you have only problems with one of them, it was too much work to change everything. As you are showing, a horse can stand perfectly with 3 legs! Laughing
Of course the problem must be from Chrome, it has a kind of reputation system and the service where your webpage is hosted probably got negative feedback or so.
Have you ever reported it to them? It is not good for the service you're using that Chrome users have troubles with it. Maybe they can find a solution, they have all interest in it. Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 2:34 pm

The cheaper single horse plough set 142F, made 1952-61:

[img]Britains horses - Page 3 12235351165_3d2f9cc058[/img]
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 2:38 pm

Horse drawn roller 9F, pre-war version with roller in two sections and wire going right through horse.

Britains horses - Page 3 <a href=Britains horses - Page 3 12235776284_37bdcaefb2" />

Post-war version with roller in 11 sections and small projection on inside of shafts which fit into dents on the side of the horse.

[img]Britains horses - Page 3 12235781374_5b91d5554a[/img]
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 3:28 pm

Compare the meerkat horses:

Early Herald 'Shire Mare', 1955-69, and later Shire, 1970>
Early Shire was in 3 basic colours, white, black and brown, the last being in several shades over the years. Later Shire white and brown.
The early Shire had the Herald trumpeter logo underneath until 1963-64, when changed to "Britains Ltd Made in England'  
There are more minor variations in Jonathan Stephens' study of it.  

Britains horses - Page 3 <a href=Britains horses - Page 3 12235991925_b3b34f1a47" />

Herald 'Draught Horse' 1961-71, and 'Clydesdale' 1972>
Both made in white and brown, both with separate collar.

Britains horses - Page 3 <a href=Britains horses - Page 3 12236180443_87369efd7d" />

'Shire' 1970> and 'Clydesdale' 1972>
For you horse enthusiasts to discuss their relative sizes and shapes, regarding did Britains get them right?

[img]Britains horses - Page 3 12236422124_a7afc27597[/img]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 1:13 am

Dave, thanks for posting all these pictures and informations about these heavy horses. Very Happy
They all are wonderful! Very Happy
It's pertinent that Britains, as some other companies, mixed Shries and Clydesdales in their ranges, although, as previously explained, both breeds look very similar. Well, their geography can explain whyBritains decided it.
Both are in different poses what doesn't help the comparison, could you please take a picture of the Clydesdale when it stops walking? Laughing
The Clyde looks somewhat lighter and with a more arched neck than Shire, it may be because of the pose as I told and of course I cannot judge if the company got them correctly. Very Happy
Both are for sure great sculptures of draught horses. cheers

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 6:47 pm

mreyder wrote:

And also a rare horse is this one:
Britains horses - Page 3 GBOYoBp
Not only is this horse rare because of the color, but this horse has only 3 legs: his left hindleg is missing: is is not brokenoff or cut-off: something went wrong in the mold. Not only in my horse, but i have seen another exactly like this also. I THINK a small batch of horses just was not produced right and a few (or maybe all) were used and sold....

Wow, they were selling 3 legged horse figures?  Shocked It's hard to imagine the situation like that in toys shops nowadays  Shocked It's very interesting, thank you for sharing Mreyder! cheers

Dave, all these horses are lovely! I think general proportions between them are also good Very Happy Britains sculpted very good draft horses I think Very Happy I love both versions of Shire moods, the oder mare is very natural looking and has the right mare looks (especially comparison between two necks looks correct-mares have usually smaller crest than stallions) Very Happy

Size differences between Clydesdale and Shire seems correct also, Clydesdales are usually just a little bit smaller.

Are these all drafts released by Britains? Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 7:09 pm

Ana wrote:

Are these all drafts released by Britains? Very Happy

They were/are all Britains, the older Shire and 'Draught Horse' obviously deleted long ago, see dates in post.

I think the 2nd Shire and the Clydesdale are still made, but in a not very nice colour versions - if you want them, look for older examples on eBay or at toy fairs.
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 07, 2014 6:59 pm

Another Britains lead horse drawn vehicle, the Farmer's Gig, 20F.
Made from 1929, but this is a post-war version, ended 1961

Britains horses - Page 3 <a href=Britains horses - Page 3 12367507025_f2b068954a" />

[img]Britains horses - Page 3 12367682423_b36b2a19d4[/img]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 07, 2014 8:29 pm

Thanks once more Dave! Very Happy Another wonderful representative of that iconic brand! Very Happy

Ana

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 12, 2014 10:50 pm

This is very pretty! Beautiful horse and elegant vehicle. I like it very much Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 3:05 pm

Great model!! Applause Applause 
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 7:47 pm

From my collection, an early, probably circa 1930, Britains horse drawn 'Timber Carriage', 12F

Having a problem with Flickr. Will continue trying to sort it.

Last edited by DaveScriv on Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:57 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
JonasV

JonasV

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 8:40 pm

Ohh, I really love these! Where you guys have found your lovely horses? I want some Embarassed Smile 

Animals are my friends. I don't eat my friends. I love you
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 8:44 pm

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers 

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 8:54 pm

Can you guys see the photo of the timber carriage?
I seem to be back in business - having joined photobucket.
This is in my collection.  

Britains horses - Page 3 <a href=Britains horses - Page 3 Img855_zpsa9f04a8b" />

Post war version in new post below.

Last edited by DaveScriv on Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:19 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 9:00 pm

I can't see either photo Sad

Ana

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 9:25 pm

Unfortunately the photo is not visible for me. Sad

Back to top Go down
JonasV

JonasV

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 9:26 pm

I cannot Neutral 

Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 9:54 pm

It seems there's lots of problems at Flickr, so I'll just have to hope they fix it, and try again in a few days time.

If all else fails, I'll have to join Photobucket.

Britains horses - Page 3 A>

Last edited by DaveScriv on Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 10:58 pm

Dave, I also cannot see the picture, though, I can see that you're not copying the correct code. Could you please post directly a link to your picture and I try to solve it? :)

JonasV

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 12:58 pm

Now it work cheers cheers Beautiful horse with carriage!

Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 5:21 pm

Post-war version of Britans horse drawn Timber Carriage 12F & box lid art.
Not mine - photos lifted from one of these sold on eBay.

Britains horses - Page 3 <a href=Britains horses - Page 3 Logwagonboxlid_zps7d083c6c" />

[img]Britains horses - Page 3 Britainspost-warlogwaggon_zps05a0f466[/img]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Britains horses
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next