Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Vintage Britains Indian on horseback. Dated 1908

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Cscshop2013

Country/State : Hampshire, England

Vintage Britains Indian on horseback. Dated 1908 Empty
PostSubject: Vintage Britains Indian on horseback. Dated 1908   Vintage Britains Indian on horseback. Dated 1908 EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 10:53 pm

Hi
This is a Britains North American Indian (Mounted) with Tomahawk. They came in boxes of 5 with a mixture of Tomahawks or rifles.
Unfortunately as Britains Ltd found out the tails on such items were easily damaged and later Britains horse tails were fixed to main body.
This figure has the wrong tail, obviously damaged in its life time. This tail isn't stuck on it fits into the hole left by the missing one.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Regards
Nick
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Britains Indian on horseback. Dated 1908   Vintage Britains Indian on horseback. Dated 1908 EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 11:03 pm

These 1st grade mounted Indians are indeed difficult to find and expensive to buy in good paint condition with horse tail intact and moveable arm still present.

You're not quite right about the change to horse tail to one close to the body to prevent breakage - this change was only made on the fixed arm 2nd grade mounted Indian. The 1st grade moveable arm mounted Indians had easily broken sticking out tails like this until the end.
Back to top Go down
Cscshop2013

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Britains Indian on horseback. Dated 1908   Vintage Britains Indian on horseback. Dated 1908 EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 11:08 pm

Hi. Many thanks for the correction.
Do you still collect? If so do you have a 'wants list'?
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Britains Indian on horseback. Dated 1908   Vintage Britains Indian on horseback. Dated 1908 EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 11:24 pm

Yes I still collect. Lots.
The number of things I'd like to fill gaps in my collection, which is a very broad collection, would be too huge to make a list.
As one of my specialities is wooden farm & zoo buildings, and even with me now restricting this part of my collection to certain ranges, I don't even know what items I want, because no one knows what items were in those ranges, and I seem to know more about them than most.
Another part of my collection I'm always looking out for are minor UK makes plastics, where there are also still lots of unknowns. Especially interesting for me are the last few years of Hilco plastic production before they went bust in 1960, with many moulds going to Cherilea, some elsewhere.
And then there are colour variations, especially farm people - all those milkmaids in different colour dresses - and I want them all. geek Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Cscshop2013

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Britains Indian on horseback. Dated 1908   Vintage Britains Indian on horseback. Dated 1908 EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 11:38 pm

My wife would say you are just like me. Up until recently I collected nearly everything, postcards, badges, soldiers, coins, stamps etc... Now I have reduced this down to a few but still end up buying things I shouldn't. I enjoy the hunt...
I don't suppose you have ever come across a 'Steel Toy Maker' from Birmingham, one of the partners name being HARRIS. Found a long time ago mention of him in notes and censuses but yet to find any toys. (Related)
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Britains Indian on horseback. Dated 1908   Vintage Britains Indian on horseback. Dated 1908 EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 8:26 am

Beautyful old gem !!!
Imagine to have survived for so long and still looking so good, with just a little hair transplant !!! cheers

DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Britains Indian on horseback. Dated 1908   Vintage Britains Indian on horseback. Dated 1908 EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 8:51 am

I'll continue this thread with my Britains lead Cowboys & Indians (we can start new threads for Britains plastic C&I and other makes C&I), most of which are from their cheapo 2nd quality range, mostly early 1950s.

But first up, some 1st quality, including a mounted Indian on the other type of horse, with an equally vulnerable tail:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />

Now some 2nd grade mounted, including a very basic cowboy just sprayed brown, and the two tail versions on the 2nd quality mounted Indian:

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]

Last edited by DaveScriv on Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Britains Indian on horseback. Dated 1908   Vintage Britains Indian on horseback. Dated 1908 EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 8:51 am

Interesting

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Britains Indian on horseback. Dated 1908   Vintage Britains Indian on horseback. Dated 1908 EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 8:58 am

Now some more foot figures, starting with colour versions of the 2nd quality cowboy firing pistol:

2nd quality Indian chiefs:

More 2nd quality Indians, including the crawling Indian. There was also a 1st quality moveable arm crawling Indian (which I don't have Sad ):

And last for this post (one more separate post to follow), an interesting mix of Indian brave standing with rifle, showing 6 of the early type figure, 2 of which are in 1st grade paint, 4 in 2nd grade paint, and 3 of the later type figure:

Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Britains Indian on horseback. Dated 1908   Vintage Britains Indian on horseback. Dated 1908 EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 9:16 am

And finally......two 2nd quality boxed sets from the early 1950s:

This one is interesting because two of the items in it appear not to belong there, but I bought it like this, so assume this is how it was sold originally. On the left is a 1st grade paint figure, and the holes in the backing card in the middle indicate there should be a mounted Indian there. Britains 2nd grade boxes often included anything they wanted to clear out that day.

Back to top Go down
Cscshop2013

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Britains Indian on horseback. Dated 1908   Vintage Britains Indian on horseback. Dated 1908 EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 3:10 pm

Nice collection.
Here is one I think by Heyde.

Also some others not by Heyde...
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Britains Indian on horseback. Dated 1908   Vintage Britains Indian on horseback. Dated 1908 EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 3:48 pm

They're going to be tricky to identify, but I think I've seen photos of the chief on prancing/rearing horse somewhere. Maybe US made?
I'll check in Richard O'Brien's books ('Collecting American made Toy Soldiers' and 'Collecting Foreign made toy soldiers' - both well worth buying by this recently deceased US collector/expert)
Back to top Go down
Cscshop2013

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Britains Indian on horseback. Dated 1908   Vintage Britains Indian on horseback. Dated 1908 EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 3:55 pm

Hi. Thanks again. The bottom picture of the two Indians I have seen somewhere but forgot to note it down. Was too busy looking for the soldiers in the reference books I borrowed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Britains Indian on horseback. Dated 1908   Vintage Britains Indian on horseback. Dated 1908 Empty

Back to top Go down

Vintage Britains Indian on horseback. Dated 1908
Page 1 of 1