Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Britains Indian Rhinoceros

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
thebritfarmer

thebritfarmer

Country/State : Ontario, Canada

Britains Indian Rhinoceros Empty
PostSubject: Britains Indian Rhinoceros   Britains Indian Rhinoceros EmptyTue May 17, 2022 9:53 pm

Some had posted that they had a plastic rhino that was taller than the others. I checked my three and they are all the same height. I did check it against the lead adult version and it appears to be the same height but is shorter than the lead version. Britains Indian Rhinoceros 28244810
Britains Indian Rhinoceros 28162110
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Britains Indian Rhinoceros   Britains Indian Rhinoceros EmptyWed May 18, 2022 2:08 am

Strange they shortened the figure. It is not so evident when checking them individually but your photo shows it clearly. Do you remember where did you find the post about taller models? Wasn't it about a less dense material or so? Oh, it could be interesting to find an early plastic version as long as the lead one. There are always some surprises to be found.

thebritfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Britains Indian Rhinoceros   Britains Indian Rhinoceros EmptyWed May 18, 2022 2:33 am

It was one here but I can't seem to find it! Surely I didn't imagine it.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Britains Indian Rhinoceros   Britains Indian Rhinoceros EmptyThu May 19, 2022 12:51 am

thebritfarmer wrote:
It was one here but I can't seem to find it! Surely I didn't imagine it.

We have here a fantastic topic about the Britains rhino. It does not mention the variation, I guess but it is interesting to read about the moulding technics. It is a pity pictures are missing. Sad

thebritfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Britains Indian Rhinoceros   Britains Indian Rhinoceros EmptyFri May 20, 2022 9:59 pm

Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Britains Indian Rhinoceros   Britains Indian Rhinoceros EmptyFri May 20, 2022 10:04 pm

Yes, that one is larger and also has a different shape. How did that happen?

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Britains Indian Rhinoceros   Britains Indian Rhinoceros EmptyFri May 20, 2022 10:19 pm

thebritfarmer wrote:
I found it!!!! Third picture down.

https://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t4827-2-lots-of-britains-came-in-for-the-last-days-of-februari-2012

Good job! Very Happy It is quite interesting and considering how flat are Willy's pictures, there's no doubts the left one is larger. Also, Roger is right, they look different, I think my model is the smaller one. It is a pity Willy is not collecting anymore, he was a remarkable collector and he is a nice guy.

thebritfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Britains Indian Rhinoceros   Britains Indian Rhinoceros EmptyFri May 20, 2022 10:41 pm

Hopefully he can shed some light on this if he comes back on the forum. The hunt is on now for a larger Britains Rhino!!!
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Britains Indian Rhinoceros   Britains Indian Rhinoceros EmptyFri May 20, 2022 11:29 pm

Sporadically Willy visits us but unlikely he will find this topic specifically.
Here is my Britains Indian rhino. It is just 71 g of weight and it floats what means it is made of a low density plastic. It is marked Britains LTD and ENGLAND:

Britains Indian Rhinoceros Britains-rhino-roger

Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

PostSubject: Re: Britains Indian Rhinoceros   Britains Indian Rhinoceros EmptySat May 21, 2022 11:09 am

rogerpgvg wrote:
Yes, that one is larger and also has a different shape. How did that happen?

Totally different moulds, different type of plastic, inaccuracy when the piece was ejected from the mould, operator error etc....

Bound to be differences over time due to being made from 1961 to 1998.

rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Britains Indian Rhinoceros   Britains Indian Rhinoceros EmptyMon May 23, 2022 8:55 pm

I wonder which of these explanations. Could the rhino "grow" so much if it didn't come out of the mould in the right way or if the operator made an error? I wonder how it could happen. It seems most likely to me that a different mould was used. But how could such a big change happen when moulds were copied? And if it's a different mould, then there should be more of these large rhinos around. As far as I know, the big rhino is uncommon, so Britains didn't use it for a long time. Perhaps they realised their mistake.

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Britains Indian Rhinoceros   Britains Indian Rhinoceros EmptyTue May 24, 2022 2:32 am

rogerpgvg wrote:
I wonder which of these explanations. Could the rhino "grow" so much if it didn't come out of the mould in the right way or if the operator made an error? I wonder how it could happen. It seems most likely to me that a different mould was used. But how could such a big change happen when moulds were copied? And if it's a different mould, then there should be more of these large rhinos around. As far as I know, the big rhino is uncommon, so Britains didn't use it for a long time. Perhaps they realised their mistake.

When you copy a mould, you need to sculpt a new clay model. The idea is always to sculpt it as similar as possible to the original. Though, it is not possible and there is a little problem regarding size. The clay model, used to produce the mould needs to be slightly larger than the final figure. It happens because there's always some shrinkage during the production. Shrinkage is a science on its own and it depends from several factors like cooling, amount of plasticizers, etc.
So, the sculptor who will sculpt the clay model, is not exactly making a perfect copy, I don't know the shrinkage ratio of Britains figures but among major brands it is around 5%.
It is impossible to avoid little differences in sizes between moulds. However, the same exact mould can also generate slightly different sized figures. Britains seems to use little amount of plasticizers, at least judging for my sample, so this model is prone to a certain level of shrinkage and there are other multiple factors as I mentioned above. However, this last example, could never justify such a difference in size as we see in those figures here presented. I tend to believe they result from different mould pieces but your consideration about their rarity is valid but, are you sure they're so rare? I already owned three of them and I really have no idea if they were all the same size. I never worried about it and now they have new owners so I can't compare anymore.
I suggest someone to build a conga of rhinos. Laughing

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains Indian Rhinoceros   Britains Indian Rhinoceros EmptyTue May 24, 2022 8:01 pm

After reading this I decided to check out the two Britains Black Rhinoceros in my collection.

Result they are different, one is slightly taller and the ears are not the same. There are also various moulding differences.

Hopefully, I will take some snaps and post them on this site.

thebritfarmer

thebritfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Britains Indian Rhinoceros   Britains Indian Rhinoceros EmptyTue May 24, 2022 8:02 pm

Chris Sweetman wrote:
After reading this I decided to check out the two Britains Black Rhinoceros in my collection.

Result they are different, one is slightly taller and the ears are not the same. There are also various moulding differences.

Wonderful! Mine are all the same but now I don't know which version they are HAHA

edit to add I just realized you said Black Rhinos, is that a typo or another new find?!?!
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains Indian Rhinoceros   Britains Indian Rhinoceros EmptyTue May 24, 2022 8:13 pm

thebritfarmer wrote:
Chris Sweetman wrote:

Wonderful! Mine are all the same but now I don't know which version they are HAHA

edit to add I just realized you said Black Rhinos, is that a typo or another new find?!?!

OK, then at least one of mine is the rarer version. Very Happy

Unless your models are different from the two I have!

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Britains Indian Rhinoceros   Britains Indian Rhinoceros EmptyTue May 24, 2022 8:32 pm

thebritfarmer wrote:
Chris Sweetman wrote:

The black rhino is this one but I suspect Chris is refering to the Indian rhino. scratch

thebritfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Britains Indian Rhinoceros   Britains Indian Rhinoceros EmptyTue May 24, 2022 9:11 pm

Roger wrote:
thebritfarmer wrote:
Chris Sweetman wrote:

The black rhino is this one but I suspect Chris is refering to the Indian rhino. scratch

Yes I thought too, hopefully Chris will clarify.
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains Indian Rhinoceros   Britains Indian Rhinoceros EmptyTue May 24, 2022 9:12 pm

Roger wrote:
thebritfarmer wrote:
Chris Sweetman wrote:

Hi Rogério

I am indeed referring to the Black Rhino. Unfortunately, I only have one Indian Rhino.

The two Black Rhinos I have are from different moulds as it just isn't size but variation in the ears and body structure.

Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains Indian Rhinoceros   Britains Indian Rhinoceros EmptyTue May 24, 2022 9:15 pm

thebritfarmer wrote:
Chris Sweetman wrote:

Another new find. I recently purchased a second Black Rhino just a few weeks ago and last night decided to do a quick comparison between them and found that the two are not identical.

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Britains Indian Rhinoceros   Britains Indian Rhinoceros EmptyTue May 24, 2022 11:29 pm

Chris Sweetman wrote:
Roger wrote:
thebritfarmer wrote:
Chris Sweetman wrote:

Hi Rogério

I am indeed referring to the Black Rhino. Unfortunately, I only have one Indian Rhino.

The two Black Rhinos I have are from different moulds as it just isn't size but variation in the ears and body structure.

OK Chris, we were not sure because we were discussing before about the Indian rhino. It looks it worth to check sculpt variations on Britains figures. Some moulds lasted for a long time and it resulted in some slightly different moulds. I think the black rhino is even more interesting because it was not as long lived as the Indian rhino. I may be wrong but I think it was also only available in pvc material.

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Britains Indian Rhinoceros   Britains Indian Rhinoceros EmptyWed May 25, 2022 6:27 pm

Roger wrote:
When you copy a mould, you need to sculpt a new clay model. The idea is always to sculpt it as similar as possible to the original. Though, it is not possible and there is a little problem regarding size. The clay model, used to produce the mould needs to be slightly larger than the final figure. It happens because there's always some shrinkage during the production. Shrinkage is a science on its own and it depends from several factors like cooling, amount of plasticizers, etc.
So, the sculptor who will sculpt the clay model, is not exactly making a perfect copy, I don't know the shrinkage ratio of Britains figures but among major brands it is around 5%.
It is impossible to avoid little differences in sizes between moulds. However, the same exact mould can also generate slightly different sized figures. Britains seems to use little amount of plasticizers, at least judging for my sample, so this model is prone to a certain level of shrinkage and there are other multiple factors as I mentioned above. However, this last example, could never justify such a difference in size as we see in those figures here presented. I tend to believe they result from different mould pieces but your consideration about their rarity is valid but, are you sure they're so rare? I already owned three of them and I really have no idea if they were all the same size. I never worried about it and now they have new owners so I can't compare anymore.
I suggest someone to build a conga of rhinos. Laughing

Thanks for the explanation, very interesting. I've got quite a conga, but they are all in different boxes in storage. I'll check them when I have some time.
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains Indian Rhinoceros   Britains Indian Rhinoceros EmptyThu May 26, 2022 1:38 am

Roger wrote:
Chris Sweetman wrote:
Roger wrote:
thebritfarmer wrote:
Chris Sweetman wrote:

Hi Rogério

OK Chris, we were not sure because we were discussing before about the Indian rhino. It looks it worth to check sculpt variations on Britains figures. Some moulds lasted for a long time and it resulted in some slightly different moulds. I think the black rhino is even more interesting because it was not as long lived as the Indian rhino. I may be wrong but I think it was also only available in pvc material.

The Black Rhino was Issued in 1979 and withdrawn in 1998 so only available in PVC but in 1993 Britains started to use a different type of PVC. So, it could be that one Black Rhino was released between 1979 and 1993 using the first type PVC and the other from 1993 to 1998 using the newer version of PVC.

rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Britains Indian Rhinoceros   Britains Indian Rhinoceros EmptyThu May 26, 2022 10:13 pm

Britains indeed used two very different types of plastic for the black rhino: one type is noticeably lighter than the other: https://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t23813-rogerpgvg-s-britains-collection

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Britains Indian Rhinoceros   Britains Indian Rhinoceros EmptyThu May 26, 2022 11:48 pm

That's all very interesting but I suspect Britains still has a few misteries reserved to all of us. The black rhino was introduced much after the move from polythene to pvc as Chris pointed. Meanwhile, we can see on Roger's link, that the earlier black rhino weighs 45g while the newer weighs 75g and the lighter model floats. This weight and behaviour is hardly compatible with a pvc figure. It is expectable for a polythene figure. Even the called soft pvc is denser than water. The polythene used is HDPE, slightly less dense than water and it is easy to identify because it floats with almost the entire figure submerged. Roger also mentions the painting sticking poorly to the older model and it is also more common with polythene.
I suspect most of the knowledge about Britains figures derives directly from soldiers and similar series where human figures have all a similar weight and this knowledge is transported to the animal series which presentes a much bigger variety in sizes. Is it possible that Britains used polythene for massive animal figures like this rhino even if the use of pvc was being already adopted in most of the range?

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Britains Indian Rhinoceros   Britains Indian Rhinoceros EmptyFri May 27, 2022 10:12 am

The lighter black rhino doesn't look and feel like polythene. It's probably also PVC but with a different density or perhaps other plastics were mixed with the PVC. In the topic that I referred to I said that the light black rhino came before the heavier one because I assumed that Britains would improve it. But if this is indeed the change in plastic in 1993, then it may be more likely that the lighter plastic is newer because more black rhinos would have been made before 1993 (1979-1993) than after (1993-1998).

Not all polythene Britains float, some are slightly heavier. Probably again related to the density of the plastic or having fewer air bubbles.

PostSubject: Re: Britains Indian Rhinoceros   Britains Indian Rhinoceros Empty

Back to top Go down

Britains Indian Rhinoceros
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Animal toy figures reviews and discussions :: Vintage Companies :: Britains Ltd-
Jump to: