Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Britains Indian Rhinoceros

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
George

George

Country/State : England

Britains Indian Rhinoceros - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Indian Rhinoceros   Britains Indian Rhinoceros - Page 2 EmptyFri May 27, 2022 10:52 am

Could it be a hollow bubble inside the plastic for massive animals like the Rhino? That would cut down on weight, and possibly cause the floating. Not a specific hollow cast process like the old metal ones, but enough trapped air in there to make it weigh less than if it was solid all through.

Here is a horse with an air bubble, which you can only see cos it happens to be a clear plastic. Usually this range is cast in opaque white, and you'd have no idea how much air is inside them. I've had quite a few of these clear ones to paint up, the air bubble size and number does vary, this example photo is actually quite a small volume of air - one of mine had about four bubbles, another was almost entirely hollow through the belly, but I didn't think to take photos of them cos I never thought it might come in useful to explain a theory about unexpected lightness of chunky animal sculpts Laughing

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Britains Indian Rhinoceros   Britains Indian Rhinoceros - Page 2 EmptyFri May 27, 2022 1:17 pm

rogerpgvg wrote:
The lighter black rhino doesn't look and feel like polythene. It's probably also PVC but with a different density or perhaps other plastics were mixed with the PVC. In the topic that I referred to I said that the light black rhino came before the heavier one because I assumed that Britains would improve it. But if this is indeed the change in plastic in 1993, then it may be more likely that the lighter plastic is newer because more black rhinos would have been made before 1993 (1979-1993) than after (1993-1998).

Not all polythene Britains float, some are slightly heavier. Probably again related to the density of the plastic or having fewer air bubbles.

Yes, we often do not think about it but this is all quite complex. PVC figures are always mixed with plasticizers because pure pvc is brittle. So, their density depends from the formula used. This formula is not the exact same for all figures of the same brand because some figures pose different challenges. Polythene has a density very close to the water density, so, the addition of plasticizers can change slightly the density and it is enough to turn it denser than water. Though, this is all very technical and what is important is to find these sculpting variations among Britains figures.

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Britains Indian Rhinoceros   Britains Indian Rhinoceros - Page 2 EmptyFri May 27, 2022 3:06 pm

It's interesting that Peter Cole's book about Britains shows a cut through Indian rhino. It shows that Britains moulded it in stages, with the inside being different from the outside. It also looks as if there are holes in it.

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Britains Indian Rhinoceros   Britains Indian Rhinoceros - Page 2 EmptySat May 28, 2022 2:42 am

rogerpgvg wrote:
It's interesting that Peter Cole's book about Britains shows a cut through Indian rhino. It shows that Britains moulded it in stages, with the inside being different from the outside. It also looks as if there are holes in it.

If there are empty parts, the density theory is useless. At least for those more massive figures. It is fun to know what those collectors did to provide the most complete information possible.

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Britains Indian Rhinoceros   Britains Indian Rhinoceros - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 13, 2022 11:46 pm

George wrote:
Could it be a hollow bubble inside the plastic for massive animals like the Rhino? That would cut down on weight, and possibly cause the floating. Not a specific hollow cast process like the old metal ones, but enough trapped air in there to make it weigh less than if it was solid all through.

Here is a horse with an air bubble, which you can only see cos it happens to be a clear plastic. Usually this range is cast in opaque white, and you'd have no idea how much air is inside them. I've had quite a few of these clear ones to paint up, the air bubble size and number does vary, this example photo is actually quite a small volume of air - one of mine had about four bubbles, another was almost entirely hollow through the belly, but I didn't think to take photos of them cos I never thought it might come in useful to explain a theory about unexpected lightness of chunky animal sculpts Laughing

Oh, I missed your post and it is very interesting. Sleep Is it Magnolia, a Stablemate? I ask it because Stablemates have a completely different molding process.

PostSubject: Re: Britains Indian Rhinoceros   Britains Indian Rhinoceros - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Britains Indian Rhinoceros
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2