Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sculpting a toad in polymer clay

Go down 
+7
costicuba
newt
Roger
Kikimalou
NightLioness
Wilorvise
LeeAnn
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
newt

Country/State : Tennessee, USA

Sculpting a toad in polymer clay Empty
PostSubject: Sculpting a toad in polymer clay   Sculpting a toad in polymer clay EmptyThu May 07, 2015 4:48 pm

I have started a life-sized sculpture of an American Toad (Anaxyrus americanus) in polymer clay. I will post pictures of the progress here.

Any comments, criticism, and questions are welcome!

STEP 1
Gather reference material.

Fortunately the animal I chose for my subject is abundant and easy to find in my area, and so I am able to use my own reference photos. I even located a live model in my yard, just after I started the sculpture!

Sculpting a toad in polymer clay Photos_zpsnbp0tdvm

Sculpting a toad in polymer clay Modelwithcalipers_zpsbgocm4f2

STEP 2
Using information from the photos and live model, I sketch out the toad at the size I want the sculpture to be. In this case, it will be 60 mm snout-to-vent, which is pretty average for this species. The important thing here is to get the proportions of the body and limbs correct; I don't need to worry about details or pose yet.

Sculpting a toad in polymer clay Drawing%20for%20armature_zps30ltekuq

STEP 3
I begin forming an armature from wire, using my sketch as a guide. The armature allows me to play with poses before adding the clay, and also supports the clay; in short, it acts like a skeleton for the sculpture. The basic forms are complete here; I still need to add finer wire for the toes and bulk out the thicker areas with aluminum foil.

Sculpting a toad in polymer clay Armaturestage1_zpsfibigub4

More to come!
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting a toad in polymer clay   Sculpting a toad in polymer clay EmptyThu May 07, 2015 4:49 pm

bounce bounce bounce

This is exciting!

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting a toad in polymer clay   Sculpting a toad in polymer clay EmptyThu May 07, 2015 5:07 pm

A wonderful choice of model, - even if the one you cought does not seem to appreciate your making him famous and immortal Suspect Wink

Toads are interesting creatures, and very important to the eco-system. They look cute too .
A childhood is a real childhood if you have tried to hold one in your hand  tongue
We used to have one living in the corner of our terrace, his name was "Dad's Toad" alien Laughing

I can't wait to see your progress, it looks just perfect so far cheers

newt

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting a toad in polymer clay   Sculpting a toad in polymer clay EmptyThu May 07, 2015 5:12 pm

Thank you, LeeAnn and Susanne! Yes, my model was grumpy and uncooperative. But I did get some good pictures of him before returning him to the yard. I will hopefully be able to get a lot done tonight and post more photos tomorrow.

Wilorvise

Country/State : Colorado, USA

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting a toad in polymer clay   Sculpting a toad in polymer clay EmptyThu May 07, 2015 7:06 pm

Oh, nice

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting a toad in polymer clay   Sculpting a toad in polymer clay EmptyThu May 07, 2015 9:42 pm

I can't wait! bounce bounce bounce I love seeing a model taking shape and coming to life Very Happy sunny bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting a toad in polymer clay   Sculpting a toad in polymer clay EmptyThu May 07, 2015 10:11 pm

newt wrote:
Thank you, LeeAnn and Susanne! Yes, my model was grumpy and uncooperative. But I did get some good pictures of him before returning him to the yard. I will hopefully be able to get a lot done tonight and post more photos tomorrow.

cheers cheers cheers

Laughing Laughing I am sure you are lucky that could not hear what he was thinking about you Laughing Laughing

NightLioness
NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting a toad in polymer clay   Sculpting a toad in polymer clay EmptyThu May 07, 2015 10:34 pm

This is very interesting! bounce bounce bounce Applause cheers

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting a toad in polymer clay   Sculpting a toad in polymer clay EmptyThu May 07, 2015 11:12 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
newt wrote:

cheers cheers cheers

Laughing Laughing I am sure you are lucky that could not hear what he was thinking about you Laughing Laughing

Ohhh that is a real toad! Shocked Laughing I was wondering what on earth it was Laughing
Back to top Go down
newt

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting a toad in polymer clay   Sculpting a toad in polymer clay EmptyFri May 08, 2015 8:35 pm

Thank you for your kind comments Laura, Karin, and Emma!

STEP 4
I add armatures for the toes using florist's wire. I usually use fine copper or aluminum wire for this, but I couldn't find any; the florist's wire works OK except the green coating shreds off. I'll have to clean it up before adding clay. I also wrapped wire around the limbs; this will help keep the clay in place as I add it.

Sculpting a toad in polymer clay Armaturestage2_zpspvliwtva

STEP 5
I set the basic pose by bending the wires into place. The armature is easy to manipulate at this stage. Later, it will still be possible to tweak the pose, but major changes will be more difficult.

Sculpting a toad in polymer clay Armaturestage3_zpsgompejow

STEP 6
Now I bulk out the body with crumpled up aluminum foil, and use more florist's wire to bind it to the armature. This allows me to use less clay, which is important for a few reasons.

1) Polymer clay is a lot more expensive than foil, so it saves money!
2) Polymer clay is heavier than foil, so it saves weight!
3) Polymer clay doesn't bake well in thick sections. I would otherwise have to build up the body a little at a time, baking repeatedly until final size is reached; so it saves time!

Sculpting a toad in polymer clay Armaturestage4_zps3meyux0g

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting a toad in polymer clay   Sculpting a toad in polymer clay EmptyFri May 08, 2015 10:59 pm

bounce bounce bounce This is so exciting bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting a toad in polymer clay   Sculpting a toad in polymer clay EmptyFri May 08, 2015 11:27 pm

This is extremely interesting, - thankyou very much for sharing flower Very Happy

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting a toad in polymer clay   Sculpting a toad in polymer clay EmptySat May 09, 2015 9:15 am

newt wrote:
Yes, my model was grumpy and uncooperative.

Stars are always grumpy and uncooperative, even if they have to pose for the "Musée Grevin". Good luck for the job, I can't wait to see more pics Very Happy
Back to top Go down
costicuba

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting a toad in polymer clay   Sculpting a toad in polymer clay EmptySat May 09, 2015 2:37 pm

Very nice tutoriral Newt :)
Thank you, taht you started....it will be very usefull for many of us cheers

Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting a toad in polymer clay   Sculpting a toad in polymer clay EmptySat May 09, 2015 3:46 pm

That's a very interesting tutorial with lots of good recomendations for those who love to sculpt. Thanks for starting it... it is the first time I see a newt sculpting a toad. Laughing
I love lifesized animal figures. These creatures are too small to work in standard scale with megafauna, so they turn much more interesting when in 1:1 scale. I wished Safari Incredible Creatures concentrated more in that scale and that other major brands followed the same example. Looking forward to see your project! bounce bounce

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting a toad in polymer clay   Sculpting a toad in polymer clay EmptyMon May 11, 2015 4:39 am

Thank you all! Here's some more progress:

STEP 7
I begin adding clay. In this case, I'm using Super Sculpey Firm. I knead small bits of clay with my fingers and mash them firmly onto the armature.

Sculpting a toad in polymer clay Claystage1_zpsnvgyqsuv

STEP 8
Now I begin developing the major forms. I lay in certain landmarks, such as the cranial crests and sacral hump, that let me locate other anatomical forms. You'll notice I left the feet alone; there's no way for me to work on them now without continually deforming them. I'll work on the head and upper torso until those parts reach a point where the sculpture can be cured. Once it's cured, I can work on the limbs and belly. Polymer clay is not harmed by repeated bakings.

Sculpting a toad in polymer clay Claystage2a_zpstzfdiz5i

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting a toad in polymer clay   Sculpting a toad in polymer clay EmptyMon May 11, 2015 5:09 am

Great explanation and great result so far Applause
And you are making your tutorial with wonderful photos :)
Thank you for that Newt :)

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting a toad in polymer clay   Sculpting a toad in polymer clay EmptyMon May 11, 2015 5:35 am

Funny scratch Thought that I posted already Suspect
Awesome! It is really taking shape now bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting a toad in polymer clay   Sculpting a toad in polymer clay EmptyMon May 11, 2015 8:26 am

Hurraaay ! A grumpy toad is developing from the clay cheers

He looks marvellous !!! Thankyou for sharing this interesting, wonderful project Applause flower

Tarunyada

Tarunyada

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting a toad in polymer clay   Sculpting a toad in polymer clay EmptyMon May 11, 2015 5:51 pm

This is so exciting bounce He already looks great, I can't wait to see more Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://tarunyada.weebly.com/
newt

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting a toad in polymer clay   Sculpting a toad in polymer clay EmptyMon May 11, 2015 7:06 pm

Thank you all! I'm glad you are finding it interesting. I should have some more progress photos later this week. In the meantime, here's another photo of a live toad.

Sculpting a toad in polymer clay Toad_zpsl9otygrf

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting a toad in polymer clay   Sculpting a toad in polymer clay EmptyMon May 11, 2015 7:16 pm

He ( she ? ) is beautyful , - almost golden Very Happy

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting a toad in polymer clay   Sculpting a toad in polymer clay EmptyTue May 12, 2015 2:33 am

So interesting to see your projectgetting shape, it is like a metamorphosis. Laughing

MiniZoo

Country/State : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting a toad in polymer clay   Sculpting a toad in polymer clay EmptyWed May 20, 2015 2:38 pm

Great tutorial... Enjoying the sculpt but particularly looking forward to see the painting!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.minizoo.com.au/
newt

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting a toad in polymer clay   Sculpting a toad in polymer clay EmptyThu May 21, 2015 3:56 pm

Thanks MiniZoo! I've hit some delays - that rotten old real life getting in the way - but I'll get back to this project in a week or so and show some more progress.

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting a toad in polymer clay   Sculpting a toad in polymer clay Empty

Back to top Go down

Sculpting a toad in polymer clay
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next