Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas
 
Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  

 

 Bullyland Pteranodons

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rhamphorhynchus

Rhamphorhynchus

Country/State : United States
Age : 30
Joined : 2013-07-26
Posts : 86

Bullyland Pteranodons Empty
PostSubject: Bullyland Pteranodons   Bullyland Pteranodons EmptySat Oct 10, 2015 9:37 am

Pteranodon (name meaning wing without tooth) was a large pterosaur that lived in the Late Cretaceous in what is now North America. It had a 20-23 foot wingspan, making it one of the largest pterosaurs known. At the time it lived, much of North America was covered by ocean. It had very long and narrow wings suited for long distance soaring over water, similar to an albatross. It is known to have eaten fish and research suggests that it may have dived into the water like a pelican and swam underwater using its wings to propel itself to catch fish.

This model is labeled Pteranodon sternbergi, another species of Pteranodon. However, in 2011 it was placed in its own genus Geosternbergia. However, for simplicity's sake, I'll refer to this model as Pteranodon because that's what it is labeled as.


Bullyland has 2 Pteranodon figures, a flying one and a grounded one. The flying one was very kindly given to me by Susanne. Thank you very much.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] by [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], on Flickr
This is a great model. It's also a lot bigger than I thought it would be. The wings are nearly a foot across.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] by [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], on Flickr
Front view. The beak has a nice upward curve to it, just like it did in life.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] by [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], on Flickr
Other side.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] by [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], on Flickr
Top view. Although hard to see, this figure has nicely sculpted pyctofibers.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] by [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], on Flickr
This figure also included a fish that serves as prey. I think it's a guitarfish but I'm not completely sure.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] by [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], on Flickr
It fits nicely in the Pteranodon's beak. The perched Pteranodon can hold it as well.

This is a very nice and accurate figure. Probably one of the best if not the best pterosaur figures out there.
Overall, 10/10

Now onto the perched Pteranodon.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] by [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], on Flickr
It has the same coloration as the flying Pteranodon. As evidenced by their large crests, they are both males. Females had greatly reduced crests. So it is quite possible they were used to attract females or to compete with other males.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] by [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], on Flickr
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] by [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], on Flickr
Nice plantigrade stance.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] by [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], on Flickr
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] by [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], on Flickr
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] by [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], on Flickr
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] by [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], on Flickr
Comparison of both figures.

This is also a very good and accurate model. It is especally nice because there really aren't many pterosaur figures in a quadruped stance.

Overall, 10/10

_________________
The Beak-Snout
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE
Age : 55
Joined : 2010-04-01
Posts : 15555

Bullyland Pteranodons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullyland Pteranodons   Bullyland Pteranodons EmptySat Oct 10, 2015 11:00 am

I like very much these two Geosternbergia, not exactly for the painting but the sculpts are both excellent.
Pteranodons, edaphosaurus, mastodonsaurus, paratypothorax... Where are the days when Bullyland was a Giant drunken

_________________
Christophe
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany
Age : 44
Joined : 2010-12-30
Posts : 32379

Bullyland Pteranodons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullyland Pteranodons   Bullyland Pteranodons EmptySat Oct 10, 2015 11:32 am

Very nice pics, i also have the older version too :)

_________________
sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.
Age : 67
Joined : 2010-09-30
Posts : 33793

Bullyland Pteranodons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullyland Pteranodons   Bullyland Pteranodons EmptySat Oct 10, 2015 12:19 pm

Lucky Pteranodon !!! Staying with his brother, and soaring over the books of Minnesota instead of lying in a dark box in Denmark cheers

Thankyou very much for the great walkaround, and for the information of the species drunken

Christophe, - why don't you like the paintwork ? Reptiles can have the most amazing colours Wink

_________________
Very Happy  SUSANNE  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
sbell

sbell

Country/State : Canada
Age : 44
Joined : 2013-11-06
Posts : 1299

Bullyland Pteranodons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullyland Pteranodons   Bullyland Pteranodons EmptySat Oct 10, 2015 7:11 pm

The fish is likely Ischyrhiza or a similar animal from the extinct Sclerorhynchidae. They are possibly a primitive family of pristids (sawfish), although the relationships are still pretty unclear.

Given the time range of Pteranodon and the location (Western American Seaway) it is the most likely animal.

_________________
Looking for animal figures? I have an actual online store, out of Canada! [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'm also a big freshwater fish-figure fan. Know of anything new and exciting? I need to know as well!
Back to top Go down
http://faunafigures.com/
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.
Age : 67
Joined : 2010-09-30
Posts : 33793

Bullyland Pteranodons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullyland Pteranodons   Bullyland Pteranodons EmptySat Oct 10, 2015 10:11 pm

That is very, very interesting, Sbell !!! Thankyou for this information Applause

_________________
Very Happy  SUSANNE  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
Rhamphorhynchus

Rhamphorhynchus

Country/State : United States
Age : 30
Joined : 2013-07-26
Posts : 86

Bullyland Pteranodons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullyland Pteranodons   Bullyland Pteranodons EmptySun Oct 11, 2015 12:24 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
The fish is likely Ischyrhiza or a similar animal from the extinct Sclerorhynchidae. They are possibly a primitive family of pristids (sawfish), although the relationships are still pretty unclear.

Given the time range of Pteranodon and the location (Western American Seaway) it is the most likely animal.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. That's interesting.

_________________
The Beak-Snout
Back to top Go down
Rhamphorhynchus

Rhamphorhynchus

Country/State : United States
Age : 30
Joined : 2013-07-26
Posts : 86

Bullyland Pteranodons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullyland Pteranodons   Bullyland Pteranodons EmptySun Oct 11, 2015 12:26 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Lucky Pteranodon !!! Staying with his brother, and soaring over the books of Minnesota instead of lying in a dark box in Denmark cheers

Thankyou very much for the great walkaround, and for the information of the species drunken

Christophe, - why don't you like the paintwork ? Reptiles can have the most amazing colours Wink

Thanks, I'm glad you like my walkabout.

_________________
The Beak-Snout
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE
Age : 55
Joined : 2010-04-01
Posts : 15555

Bullyland Pteranodons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullyland Pteranodons   Bullyland Pteranodons EmptySun Oct 11, 2015 5:54 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Christophe, - why don't you like the paintwork ? Reptiles can have the most amazing colours Wink

Of course Susanne Very Happy Reptiles can have the most amazing colors cheers And macaques have their own taste Laughing

More seriously, I don't like too much the "barbershop" style crest.

_________________
Christophe
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal
Age : 45
Joined : 2010-08-20
Posts : 25146

Bullyland Pteranodons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullyland Pteranodons   Bullyland Pteranodons EmptyTue Oct 13, 2015 1:05 pm

Bullyland is often underestimated but is not rare to find fabulous figures in their collections. You're an expert about pterosaurs and you're giving the highest score to these figures. I also find them fantastic, it is also labeled with the scientific name even it is already outdated and according with Sean, it has a fish that matches realistically what that animal probably preyed. Even the large size is a bonus in my opinion. cheers

_________________
~ Rogério Crocodile  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] bounce
Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

Country/State : Canada
Age : 44
Joined : 2013-11-06
Posts : 1299

Bullyland Pteranodons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullyland Pteranodons   Bullyland Pteranodons EmptyTue Oct 13, 2015 2:48 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Bullyland is often underestimated but is not rare to find fabulous figures in their collections. You're an expert about pterosaurs and you're giving the highest score to these figures. I also find them fantastic, it is also labeled with the scientific name even it is already outdated and according with Sean, it has a fish that matches realistically what that animal probably preyed. Even the large size is a bonus in my opinion. cheers

To be fair. when these figures were first released, Bullyland prehistoric models were among the most anticipated every year. It was only after the company was sold (2005? 2006?) that their quality and desirability really fell.

_________________
Looking for animal figures? I have an actual online store, out of Canada! [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'm also a big freshwater fish-figure fan. Know of anything new and exciting? I need to know as well!
Back to top Go down
http://faunafigures.com/
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.
Age : 67
Joined : 2010-09-30
Posts : 33793

Bullyland Pteranodons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullyland Pteranodons   Bullyland Pteranodons EmptyTue Oct 13, 2015 3:49 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

To be fair. when these figures were first released, Bullyland prehistoric models were among the most anticipated every year. It was only after the company was sold (2005? 2006?) that their quality and desirability really fell.

Bullyland was sold in 2005, and again in 2012.
The first owner obviously quickly got tired of it, or saw it as an investment. The second one is really only interested in cartoon licence models.

Poor Volkmar Klaus, who poured his heart blood into it during 30 years, made a museum, was in front to find enviromental friendly materials ect., - and who loved animals, - especially dogs.
Untill CollectA and Papo, the dogs from Bullyland were the absolutely best, too, with many unusual and rare breeds ...but now  Sad

AND, as you say, Sbell, their Museum Line was market leader in Europe, making models of species that layman here had never heard of before, the fantastic models of the evolution of man, and lovely prehistoric mammals etc Very Happy

To me, Bullyland was an eye opener.
I had never before been interested in prehistoric animals, but Bullyland changed that Wink

_________________
Very Happy  SUSANNE  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal
Age : 45
Joined : 2010-08-20
Posts : 25146

Bullyland Pteranodons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullyland Pteranodons   Bullyland Pteranodons EmptyWed Oct 14, 2015 1:24 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

To be fair. when these figures were first released, Bullyland prehistoric models were among the most anticipated every year. It was only after the company was sold (2005? 2006?) that their quality and desirability really fell.

Bullyland was sold in 2005, and again in 2012.
The first owner obviously quickly got tired of it, or saw it as an investment. The second one is really only interested in cartoon licence models.

Poor Volkmar Klaus, who poured his heart blood into it during 30 years, made a museum, was in front to find enviromental friendly materials ect., - and who loved animals, - especially dogs.
Untill CollectA and Papo, the dogs from Bullyland were the absolutely best, too, with many unusual and rare breeds ...but now  Sad

AND, as you say, Sbell, their Museum Line was market leader in Europe, making models of species that layman here had never heard of before, the fantastic models of the evolution of man, and lovely prehistoric mammals etc Very Happy

To me, Bullyland was an eye opener.
I had never before been interested in prehistoric animals, but Bullyland changed that  Wink

The same for me, I don't collect exactly prehistoric figures but when I revisit their Museum collection on TAI, I find always something to put in my wish list. Terrific collection Bullyland developed during these years! cheers

_________________
~ Rogério Crocodile  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] bounce
Back to top Go down
QuollMate

QuollMate

Country/State : Colorado & Arizona
Age : 19
Joined : 2013-05-21
Posts : 1416

Bullyland Pteranodons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullyland Pteranodons   Bullyland Pteranodons EmptyTue Feb 09, 2016 2:21 am

Anyone have a spare Ischyrhiza? I've been looking for that little fish in particular for awhile.

_________________
exclamation [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] exclamation

My Instagrams:

Personal Page cherry
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Concorde Page flower
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Collectibles Page bom
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/speedbird.concorde
Sponsored content




Bullyland Pteranodons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullyland Pteranodons   Bullyland Pteranodons Empty

Back to top Go down
 
Bullyland Pteranodons
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Animal toy figures reviews and discussions :: Major brands :: Bullyland :: Bullyland walkarounds and reviews-
Jump to: