Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Bullyland Pteranodons

Go down 
+3
widukind
Kikimalou
Rhamphorhynchus
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Rhamphorhynchus

Rhamphorhynchus

Country/State : United States

Bullyland Pteranodons Empty
PostSubject: Bullyland Pteranodons   Bullyland Pteranodons EmptySat Oct 10, 2015 7:37 am

Pteranodon (name meaning wing without tooth) was a large pterosaur that lived in the Late Cretaceous in what is now North America. It had a 20-23 foot wingspan, making it one of the largest pterosaurs known. At the time it lived, much of North America was covered by ocean. It had very long and narrow wings suited for long distance soaring over water, similar to an albatross. It is known to have eaten fish and research suggests that it may have dived into the water like a pelican and swam underwater using its wings to propel itself to catch fish.

This model is labeled Pteranodon sternbergi, another species of Pteranodon. However, in 2011 it was placed in its own genus Geosternbergia. However, for simplicity's sake, I'll refer to this model as Pteranodon because that's what it is labeled as.

Bullyland has 2 Pteranodon figures, a flying one and a grounded one. The flying one was very kindly given to me by Susanne. Thank you very much.
Bullyland Pteranodons 22040229316_954fa15ddb_b045 by E H, on Flickr
This is a great model. It's also a lot bigger than I thought it would be. The wings are nearly a foot across.
Bullyland Pteranodons 22040229306_ea3cf22eae_b046 by E H, on Flickr
Front view. The beak has a nice upward curve to it, just like it did in life.
Bullyland Pteranodons 21879526549_aea8888cd4_b048 by E H, on Flickr
Other side.
Bullyland Pteranodons 21878239770_c4059911bb_b050 by E H, on Flickr
Top view. Although hard to see, this figure has nicely sculpted pyctofibers.
Bullyland Pteranodons 22076391181_f599a82bd2_b051 by E H, on Flickr
This figure also included a fish that serves as prey. I think it's a guitarfish but I'm not completely sure.
Bullyland Pteranodons 21443589974_0a6dcc18a5_b052 by E H, on Flickr
It fits nicely in the Pteranodon's beak. The perched Pteranodon can hold it as well.

This is a very nice and accurate figure. Probably one of the best if not the best pterosaur figures out there.
Overall, 10/10

Now onto the perched Pteranodon.
Bullyland Pteranodons 21879519589_2c7de7aeeb_b037 by E H, on Flickr
It has the same coloration as the flying Pteranodon. As evidenced by their large crests, they are both males. Females had greatly reduced crests. So it is quite possible they were used to attract females or to compete with other males.
Bullyland Pteranodons 21878233290_21d9f0257c_b039 by E H, on Flickr
Bullyland Pteranodons 22053992012_7c6dcac955_b040 by E H, on Flickr
Nice plantigrade stance.
Bullyland Pteranodons 21879526779_fcc1768a5e_b041 by E H, on Flickr
Bullyland Pteranodons 21879526719_0dcdb94b9a_b043 by E H, on Flickr
Bullyland Pteranodons 21878536238_f2c42b9f15_b054 by E H, on Flickr
Bullyland Pteranodons 21879840019_b45f91cf26_b077 by E H, on Flickr
Comparison of both figures.

This is also a very good and accurate model. It is especally nice because there really aren't many pterosaur figures in a quadruped stance.

Overall, 10/10

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Bullyland Pteranodons   Bullyland Pteranodons EmptySat Oct 10, 2015 9:00 am

I like very much these two Geosternbergia, not exactly for the painting but the sculpts are both excellent.
Pteranodons, edaphosaurus, mastodonsaurus, paratypothorax... Where are the days when Bullyland was a Giant drunken
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Bullyland Pteranodons   Bullyland Pteranodons EmptySat Oct 10, 2015 9:32 am

Very nice pics, i also have the older version too :)

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Bullyland Pteranodons   Bullyland Pteranodons EmptySat Oct 10, 2015 10:19 am

Lucky Pteranodon !!! Staying with his brother, and soaring over the books of Minnesota instead of lying in a dark box in Denmark cheers

Thankyou very much for the great walkaround, and for the information of the species drunken

Christophe, - why don't you like the paintwork ? Reptiles can have the most amazing colours Wink

sbell

sbell

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Bullyland Pteranodons   Bullyland Pteranodons EmptySat Oct 10, 2015 5:11 pm

The fish is likely Ischyrhiza or a similar animal from the extinct Sclerorhynchidae. They are possibly a primitive family of pristids (sawfish), although the relationships are still pretty unclear.

Given the time range of Pteranodon and the location (Western American Seaway) it is the most likely animal.

Bullyland Pteranodons Hyena-circle

I'm also a big freshwater fish-figure fan. Know of anything new and exciting? I need to know as well!
Back to top Go down
http://faunafigures.com/
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Bullyland Pteranodons   Bullyland Pteranodons EmptySat Oct 10, 2015 8:11 pm

That is very, very interesting, Sbell !!! Thankyou for this information Applause

Rhamphorhynchus

Rhamphorhynchus

PostSubject: Re: Bullyland Pteranodons   Bullyland Pteranodons EmptySat Oct 10, 2015 10:24 pm

sbell wrote:
The fish is likely Ischyrhiza or a similar animal from the extinct Sclerorhynchidae. They are possibly a primitive family of pristids (sawfish), although the relationships are still pretty unclear.

Given the time range of Pteranodon and the location (Western American Seaway) it is the most likely animal.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. That's interesting.

Rhamphorhynchus

PostSubject: Re: Bullyland Pteranodons   Bullyland Pteranodons EmptySat Oct 10, 2015 10:26 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
Lucky Pteranodon !!! Staying with his brother, and soaring over the books of Minnesota instead of lying in a dark box in Denmark cheers

Thankyou very much for the great walkaround, and for the information of the species drunken

Christophe, - why don't you like the paintwork ? Reptiles can have the most amazing colours Wink

Thanks, I'm glad you like my walkabout.

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Bullyland Pteranodons   Bullyland Pteranodons EmptySun Oct 11, 2015 3:54 am

SUSANNE wrote:

Of course Susanne Very Happy Reptiles can have the most amazing colors cheers And macaques have their own taste Laughing

More seriously, I don't like too much the "barbershop" style crest.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Bullyland Pteranodons   Bullyland Pteranodons EmptyTue Oct 13, 2015 11:05 am

Bullyland is often underestimated but is not rare to find fabulous figures in their collections. You're an expert about pterosaurs and you're giving the highest score to these figures. I also find them fantastic, it is also labeled with the scientific name even it is already outdated and according with Sean, it has a fish that matches realistically what that animal probably preyed. Even the large size is a bonus in my opinion. cheers

sbell

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Bullyland Pteranodons   Bullyland Pteranodons EmptyTue Oct 13, 2015 12:48 pm

Roger wrote:
Bullyland is often underestimated but is not rare to find fabulous figures in their collections. You're an expert about pterosaurs and you're giving the highest score to these figures. I also find them fantastic, it is also labeled with the scientific name even it is already outdated and according with Sean, it has a fish that matches realistically what that animal probably preyed. Even the large size is a bonus in my opinion. cheers

To be fair. when these figures were first released, Bullyland prehistoric models were among the most anticipated every year. It was only after the company was sold (2005? 2006?) that their quality and desirability really fell.

Bullyland Pteranodons Hyena-circle

I'm also a big freshwater fish-figure fan. Know of anything new and exciting? I need to know as well!
Back to top Go down
http://faunafigures.com/
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Bullyland Pteranodons   Bullyland Pteranodons EmptyTue Oct 13, 2015 1:49 pm

sbell wrote:

To be fair. when these figures were first released, Bullyland prehistoric models were among the most anticipated every year. It was only after the company was sold (2005? 2006?) that their quality and desirability really fell.

Bullyland was sold in 2005, and again in 2012.
The first owner obviously quickly got tired of it, or saw it as an investment. The second one is really only interested in cartoon licence models.

Poor Volkmar Klaus, who poured his heart blood into it during 30 years, made a museum, was in front to find enviromental friendly materials ect., - and who loved animals, - especially dogs.
Untill CollectA and Papo, the dogs from Bullyland were the absolutely best, too, with many unusual and rare breeds ...but now  Sad

AND, as you say, Sbell, their Museum Line was market leader in Europe, making models of species that layman here had never heard of before, the fantastic models of the evolution of man, and lovely prehistoric mammals etc Very Happy

To me, Bullyland was an eye opener.
I had never before been interested in prehistoric animals, but Bullyland changed that Wink

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Bullyland Pteranodons   Bullyland Pteranodons EmptyTue Oct 13, 2015 11:24 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
sbell wrote:

Bullyland was sold in 2005, and again in 2012.
The first owner obviously quickly got tired of it, or saw it as an investment. The second one is really only interested in cartoon licence models.

Poor Volkmar Klaus, who poured his heart blood into it during 30 years, made a museum, was in front to find enviromental friendly materials ect., - and who loved animals, - especially dogs.
Untill CollectA and Papo, the dogs from Bullyland were the absolutely best, too, with many unusual and rare breeds ...but now  Sad

AND, as you say, Sbell, their Museum Line was market leader in Europe, making models of species that layman here had never heard of before, the fantastic models of the evolution of man, and lovely prehistoric mammals etc Very Happy

To me, Bullyland was an eye opener.
I had never before been interested in prehistoric animals, but Bullyland changed that  Wink

The same for me, I don't collect exactly prehistoric figures but when I revisit their Museum collection on TAI, I find always something to put in my wish list. Terrific collection Bullyland developed during these years! cheers

QuollMate

Country/State : Denver, Colorado & Prescott, Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Bullyland Pteranodons   Bullyland Pteranodons EmptyTue Feb 09, 2016 1:21 am

Anyone have a spare Ischyrhiza? I've been looking for that little fish in particular for awhile.

exclamation [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] exclamation
exclamation EBAY STORE exclamation
exclamation [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] exclamation

My Instagrams:

Personal Page
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Concorde Page

Collectibles Page
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/speedbird.concorde
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bullyland Pteranodons   Bullyland Pteranodons Empty