Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My drawings of mythological creatures

Go down 
+4
Bowhead Whale
Florian
NightLioness
Tarunyada
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

My drawings of mythological creatures - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My drawings of mythological creatures   My drawings of mythological creatures - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 22, 2016 1:04 am

Petite Annik name is already itself a kind of satiric name once you're playing a paradox between Petite and Titanic and you use both words in a clever way for your character. Brilliant! cheers
I suspect it is very interesting and that we can learn about these Ocean liners and the International conjuncture of the first years of XX century in a very funny way.
I am not too much into Astrology, I confess! Maybe that's because of the phony ones, recently in a Portuguese tv program, a supposed astrologer, recomended to a lady, victim of domestic violence for 20 years, to keep obbeying to the agressor because his actions were her fault. That's incredibly shocking! Shocked I know not all astrologers are like that and the discussion around Astrology is probably not recomendable here. culturally, I find it an interesting phenomenon but that's all.
Our world is far from fair, I think that all the work I developed during these last 15 years, a very relevant social work, should result in something better than turning me in a unemployed man. But life is not always fair in the way we expect. Though, I think we shouldn't regret or feel wronged. Sometimes little things worth much more than a wide recognition or a finantial tribute.
You should feel very proud of your talent even you think you don't have the deserved feedback from others in your life.
Thanks once more for sharing these wonderful creatures under your personal interpretation and for sharing all your research about them with us. Very Happy

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: My drawings of mythological creatures   My drawings of mythological creatures - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 22, 2016 11:27 am

Amazing drawings !!!
I started from the top again, and realize that I missed several of them. Sometimes my connection is too slow.
So if I see no pictures, I think there is no news.

It is very interesting that people all over the world have thought there were such strange creatures - mostly luring in the night study

Superstition about stillborne babies is also worldwide.
In the middle ages, midwives had the authority to babtize weak babies even during birth, so they could be buried in sacred ground.
Some places the family buried un-babtized babies right next to the outer wall or under the floor.
Then the dead babies would bring happiness to the family, and sometimes you could see young siblings playing together with them - invisible friends ! Shocked

This is a very interesting topic, and your drawings are wonderful Applause

Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: My drawings of mythological creatures   My drawings of mythological creatures - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 22, 2016 9:15 pm

Roger wrote:
Petite Annik name is already itself a kind of satiric name once you're playing a paradox between Petite and Titanic and you use both words in a clever way for your character. Brilliant! cheers
I suspect it is very interesting and that we can learn about these Ocean liners and the International conjuncture of the first years of XX century in a very funny way.
I am not too much into Astrology, I confess! Maybe that's because of the phony ones, recently in a Portuguese tv program, a supposed astrologer, recomended to a lady, victim of domestic violence for 20 years, to keep obbeying to the agressor because his actions were her fault. That's incredibly shocking! Shocked I know not all astrologers are like that and the discussion around Astrology is probably not recomendable here. culturally, I find it an interesting phenomenon but that's all.
Our world is far from fair, I think that all the work I developed during these last 15 years, a very relevant social work, should result in something better than turning me in a unemployed man. But life is not always fair in the way we expect. Though, I think we shouldn't regret or feel wronged. Sometimes little things worth much more than a wide recognition or a finantial tribute.
You should feel very proud of your talent even you think you don't have the deserved feedback from others in your life.
Thanks once more for sharing these wonderful creatures under your personal interpretation and for sharing all your research about them with us. Very Happy

I am a feminist and I despise men who are violent towards weaker beings than themselves! An astrologer who claims it's a woman's fault if she is beaten is NOT an astrologer, he is a PHONY. And a phony astrologer is like a phony doctor: they both give their disciplines a bad name and provide easy arguments to those who are against those domains of study.

Petite Annik is "small" in her own way, because she and her liner pals think like 9-year-old children; they understand the world in their own way, and not always the right way. For instance, Petite Annik is convinced that the torpedo that attacked her friend Lucie-Tania was made from a icicle that was broken off an iceberg by the Germans. And Lucie-Tania thinks Petite Annik has been torpedoed by a submarine just like she herself was. They are both absolutely unable to realize that the source of each other's accident was different from their own. As for Aqua-Tania, she was shocked when Nombritannik (the hospital ship and sister of Petite Annik) told her that humans were not created in construction sites like herself, but in their mother's womb. She also thinks humans eat coal, just like ships do. Despite her obvious ignorance, she absolutely dislikes being treatened like a beginner (although she is)...
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: My drawings of mythological creatures   My drawings of mythological creatures - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 27, 2016 10:09 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Anyway, I am continuing to show you my mythological creatures depictions.

The first one is a Fei. The Fei is from the Ancient Chinese Bestiary. The animal looks like an ox, but its head is white with only one eye. Its tail is very long, hairless and scaly. It lives in the mountains, where it thrives on plants.

The second one is a Negret. Negrets are black little elves from the Catalan mythology. When they touch a candle, they transform into coins.

Last edited by Bowhead Whale on Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Replaced Photobucket by Postimage.)
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: My drawings of mythological creatures   My drawings of mythological creatures - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 01, 2016 12:47 am

The ox seems to have a Chinese pangolin tail. Wink The negret is very interesting, Barcelona was a city of slaves trade and slaves were common there since medieval times. Navigators brought several dark skined people and used them as slaves so maybe it originated based on it.

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: My drawings of mythological creatures   My drawings of mythological creatures - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 01, 2016 9:00 am

I would certainly get a chock if I met a cow like that affraid

Hmmm....perhaps it would be a good idea to wear a candle when going to Portugal or Spain ?
Or perhaps it would be more fun to know a negret than to have some booring coins ? Laughing

Interesting thought, Roger.
It is amazing how few years ago people had a quite different view on others ....our brain has a place for empathy ( like whales have), but it seems that using one's brain is often too much work Suspect

BW, I LOVE your drawings, and I love this topic. I had no idea that there are so many mythic creatures study cheers

I just read two crime novels by Dolores Redondo, who meets some strange forest creatures in the woods round a Basque village ! Shocked
It sounds crazy, but they are amazing stories Very Happy
There will be a 3rd one, but it is not available in Danish yet bounce

Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: My drawings of mythological creatures   My drawings of mythological creatures - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2016 9:40 pm

I'll continue with my mythical animals drawings.

The water serpent you see is a Wakandagi Pezi. This is a water dragon from the legends of the Mohawks and the Omaha Amerindians. The Wakandagi Pezi dwells in the lakes of Missouri. It is a dragon with antlers and hooves. They are rarely seen because they are shy. However, they are aggressive and territorial. They attack canoes by spitting out water bombs that explode. To avoid the damages from these waterballs, it is advised to throw those as far away as possible before they explode into your face... and boat.

The animal that looks like a sphinx is a Yayu. It too is a chinese mountain-dwelling creature. Yayus have the body of a bovine, a horse's tail, horse hooves and a human face. Its coat color is reddish. It is a dangerous carnivorous being and it climbs down the mountain to the valleys to look for human preys. Their bite is venemous, so is their skin. You cannot eat yayu meat because its flesh is poisonous (personal thought: I wonder what would happen if one of these met a manticore...)

Last edited by Bowhead Whale on Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:34 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : I wrote yatu instead of yayu.And replaced Photobucket by Postimage.)
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: My drawings of mythological creatures   My drawings of mythological creatures - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2016 10:28 pm

Beautyful drawings of horrible creatures affraid

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: My drawings of mythological creatures   My drawings of mythological creatures - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 04, 2016 2:16 am

Incredible how human features help turning the creatures even more bizarre. Wasn't it supposed a human to find human features the most natural?
I think a Manticore could easily kill an Iatu once it is not an elephant! Laughing
I really love the deer dragon, mooses and other deer bulls are shy and very territorial. At matting season they're surely more dangerous than dragons. Wink

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: My drawings of mythological creatures   My drawings of mythological creatures - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 04, 2016 10:29 pm

Roger wrote:
Incredible how human features help turning the creatures even more bizarre. Wasn't it supposed a human to find human features the most natural?
I think a Manticore could easily kill an Iatu once it is not an elephant! Laughing
I really love the deer dragon, mooses and other deer bulls are shy and very territorial. At matting season they're surely more dangerous than dragons. Wink

The Yayu is as large as a bull. But yes, I imagine a manticore could kill it. However, it will die of food poisoning if it eats it. So, both would perish from such a fight...

I think we humans find human features on creatures because it is our identity that is questionned when the case happens. This is why we think it is so bizarre, in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: My drawings of mythological creatures   My drawings of mythological creatures - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 06, 2016 2:01 am

Bowhead Whale wrote:
Roger wrote:

The Yayu is as large as a bull. But yes, I imagine a manticore could kill it. However, it will die of food poisoning if it eats it. So, both would perish from such a fight...

I think we humans find human features on creatures because it is our identity that is questionned when the case happens. This is why we think it is so bizarre, in my opinion.

That's a good observation! Very Happy
Who told you that a manticore would eat the beast? It could kill it easily with its tail. Very Happy

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: My drawings of mythological creatures   My drawings of mythological creatures - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 06, 2016 9:07 pm

Manticores are known for eating their preys until there is nothing behind them!

I am continuing with my mythological creatures drawings.

The first one is a Llamhigyn y dwr ("water leaper"). It is from welsh folklore. Water leapers look like large frogs, but they have no legs at all. Instead, they have a set of bat wings which they use for leaping out of water (hencing their name) and a long tail with a stinger at the top. They live in fresh water. They are blamed for snapping fishing lines and feeding themselves in livestocks. They even eat fishermen.

The second one is a Mamlambo. The Mamlambo is a 67 feet long (20 meters) water serpent from Zulu folklore. It has a horse-like head, a snake's neck and short arms. Its skin shines in a green light at night and its lower body is this of a fish. It lives in the Mzintlava river, near Mount Aylif, in South Africa. It is known as the "Brain Sucker", because it has the habit of eating the faces and sucking the brains out of their preys.

Last edited by Bowhead Whale on Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:45 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Replaced Photobucket by Postimage)
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: My drawings of mythological creatures   My drawings of mythological creatures - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 06, 2016 10:50 pm

EEEEEKKK affraid

Those are truely scary Shocked
I hope it is too cold for them in my little lake pale

Wonderful drawings again cheers

Wilorvise

Wilorvise

Country/State : Colorado, USA

PostSubject: Re: My drawings of mythological creatures   My drawings of mythological creatures - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 06, 2016 10:56 pm

I believe you have a knack for finding unusual creatures from myth and bringing them terrifyingly to life on paper. You will forgive me, I hope, if I request they stay caged thusly, please? :)

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: My drawings of mythological creatures   My drawings of mythological creatures - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 07, 2016 9:54 pm

Wilorvise wrote:
I believe you have a knack for finding unusual creatures from myth and bringing them terrifyingly to life on paper. You will forgive me, I hope, if I request they stay caged thusly, please? :)
Laughing

They are actually in scrap books I gave to my friends. You see, since 2011, I started to make mythology scrap books to each of my friends; one creature per alphabetical letter. Each friend has 26 mythological creatures described (descriptions actually are a lot longer and more complete in those scrapbooks than here) and pictured (18 color copies from Internet/books pictures, 3 black-and-white copies and 5 drawings I make myself) and each one of them has different creatures in his/her own scrap book. For example, for the letter A, Helen has the Alphyn; Sophie has the Aigicampos, Michel has the Alicanto, Sylvie B. has the Androsphynx, Sylvie L. has the Amarok, Angela has the Al-Mir-Aj and Hyacinth has the Amphisbeana. Unfortunately, it happened a few times when I didn't have enough time for me to scan all my drawings before their birthdays or Christmas came; so, there are drawings I cannot show you because of that. For example, for Michel, I drew Iratzoak (little men who work at night) from Basques folklore, Alicanto (bird with feathers of gold and silver) from Mexican folklore, Harionago (female vampire with barbeled and prehensile hair) from Japan, Rokh (giant bird) and Quetzalcóatl. Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to scan them on the computer before his birthday... Sad

Today, I am making one for Sébastian, a childhood friend, who invited me on last Christmas when he visited his mother. That means I will have five more drawings to show you here when I finish them: among them, the Qinyuan and the Fei Yi. alien Before that, there are two more left in my Photobucket to show you. You will see them during next week or so.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: My drawings of mythological creatures   My drawings of mythological creatures - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 07, 2016 10:53 pm

Ohhh! You should make photos/scans of the drawings before giving them away affraid

What an absolutely fabulous gift to give to friends Applause

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: My drawings of mythological creatures   My drawings of mythological creatures - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 09, 2016 1:25 pm

Using these magnificent draws in scrap books seems to be a very good idea. I love the green shine of your last creature, if it was real, I'd love to see it for sure! Very Happy

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: My drawings of mythological creatures   My drawings of mythological creatures - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 31, 2016 8:15 pm

Here are two more that I made. Both are said to live in chinese mountains.

The first one is a Luwu. Luwus look like tigers, but they have nine tails and their face is human. I made one as a figurine, which is seen in the "Homemade models" thread.

The second one is a Ranyi. Ranyis live in lakes close to the yuan river. They are fishes with six legs, a snake's face and horse ears. It is as long as the height of an adult man. Anyone who had the chance to eat ranyi meat was protected against blindness and malevolent forces.

Last edited by Bowhead Whale on Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:59 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Replaced Photobucket by Postimage.)
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: My drawings of mythological creatures   My drawings of mythological creatures - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 31, 2016 10:45 pm

Uhhh! That Luwu is scary ! Really creepy *shudder*

I wonder how they knew that met of the Ranyi was good against illness ...well, nobody could prove otherwise Laughing

Great drawings agin cheers

Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: My drawings of mythological creatures   My drawings of mythological creatures - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2016 8:40 pm

Thank you! A self-made figurine of the Luwu can be seen in the "Homemade Models" thread. If you go thgere, you will see I also finished my Zhar-ptitsa.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: My drawings of mythological creatures   My drawings of mythological creatures - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 03, 2016 2:06 pm

Nice to see your draw version of Luwu but I find the Rany really amazing! Actually, it looks a sensate creature for me, I just have to forget these ears. They seem to represent the transition of a fish to a repltile with extra legs. Really nice draw, showing rany in a beautiful movement and with a lot of friends in the background. Very Happy

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: My drawings of mythological creatures   My drawings of mythological creatures - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 09, 2016 9:04 pm

Here is a drawing I made of the Fei Yi. Fei Yi is part of chinese mythology. Just like Luwu and Ranyi, it lives in the mountains. Seeing a Fei Yi is of bad omen, because it is said that it announces drought.

Last edited by Bowhead Whale on Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Replaced obucket Postimage)
Back to top Go down
Bloodrayne

Bloodrayne

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: My drawings of mythological creatures   My drawings of mythological creatures - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 10, 2016 9:54 pm

I admire your way of giving these creatures a feel of motion by the way you draw splashing water and kicked up dust and stones around them.
Your drawings are very dynamic and colourful.
I like them a lot.

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: My drawings of mythological creatures   My drawings of mythological creatures - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 13, 2016 8:22 pm

Thank you for your compliments!

Here is now my drawing of the Zhujian. Zhujians, like Fei yis, Luwus and many others, are mountain dwellers from chinese mythology. The Zhujian looks like a leopard, but it has a human face with one single eye, ox ears and a tail so long the creature needs to hold it in its mouth to avoid hitting it in the environment.

Last edited by Bowhead Whale on Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Replaced Photobucket by Postimage)
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: My drawings of mythological creatures   My drawings of mythological creatures - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 14, 2016 12:20 am

Mountains are unavoidable in Chinese culture. Meaning it literature, religion, mythology or even their admiration for Nature in general. Mountains are the biggest expression of power and life so it is more or less expectable that they also created these Mountain creatures clearly inspired in their fauna. It is a joy to read and watch them in your own artistic expression. Even Canada is highly influenced by Eastern Asian culture once Bering Strait is a bottleneck without cork. Laughing

PostSubject: Re: My drawings of mythological creatures   My drawings of mythological creatures - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

My drawings of mythological creatures
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next