Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Blaine's Bug of the Day

Go down 
+26
pipsxlch
rogerpgvg
Steve170
Tiermann
Caracal
Pardofelis
zirkoon
halichoeres
Megaptera
bmathison1972
SUSANNE
barracudacat
widukind
Nick
Anne from Norway
75senta75
ulinuk
kessan
Bowhead Whale
lucky luke
Wilorvise
Ana
TheLastStardust
landrover
Kikimalou
Roger
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 31 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 31 EmptySat Dec 29, 2018 6:13 am

bmathison1972 wrote:
While I am on a trend of new species, here is another this week, the firefly Pyrocoelia fumosa (Gorham, 1883). This figure is part of a set of five fireflies by a company called N. Ohba. Wow. The set came out in 2005 and I was unaware of it until recently. I was tempted to do a walkaround, but I'd rather try to get the complete set and do a review. There are 5 species in the set, all come on habitat-style bases. The beetles themselves are small; the base on this one is 6.5 cm (the beetle is about 2.0 cm, making it about 2:1).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Great! I hopeyou will catch the complete set and make a review.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 31 EmptySat Dec 29, 2018 9:46 am

bmathison1972 wrote:
While I am on a trend of new species, here is another this week, the firefly Pyrocoelia fumosa (Gorham, 1883). This figure is part of a set of five fireflies by a company called N. Ohba. Wow. The set came out in 2005 and I was unaware of it until recently. I was tempted to do a walkaround, but I'd rather try to get the complete set and do a review. There are 5 species in the set, all come on habitat-style bases. The beetles themselves are small; the base on this one is 6.5 cm (the beetle is about 2.0 cm, making it about 2:1).

Very interesting catch. What is the material? And where you find so much unusual japanese brands?

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 31 EmptySat Dec 29, 2018 2:07 pm

It's PVC, like all Japanese figures. Not too firm or brittle. I bought it from someone who got it in a large mixed lot.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 31 EmptySat Dec 29, 2018 2:21 pm

Thanks

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 31 EmptySat Dec 29, 2018 6:08 pm

With the addition of this porcelain Old World swallowtail Papilio machaon Linnaeus, 1758 by Enesco, I thought I would revisit this species on Bug of the Day!

A large magnet figurine by Doug Walpus Art Studio, the Enesco figurine, an adult by Bullyland, and larvae by Kaiyodo (Capsule Q Museum) and Shineg (Larvae Moei).

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 31 EmptySun Dec 30, 2018 12:45 pm

Great again

Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 31 EmptySun Dec 30, 2018 4:07 pm

I recently acquired this large Sega figure of Hexarthrius mandbularis (Mizunuma, 1994):

So it allows me to revisit this species. Here are the specimens of H. mandibularis in my collection (represented but now shown again here is the boxed figure by DeAgostini). From left to right, top to bottom:

1. Sega, large standard figure
2. F-toys (World Insect Encyclopedia, Vol. 5)
3. Sega (magnet)
4. Sega
5. Sega (fighting beetles)
6. Sega, small standard
7. Kabaya (World Insect Series 1)
8. ShanTrip

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 31 EmptySun Dec 30, 2018 4:48 pm

Looks so real

Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 31 EmptyTue Jan 01, 2019 3:57 pm

The giant purple barnacle, Megabalanus tintinnabulum (Linnaeus, 1758) (tentative identification is mine) by Ocean Aquaria, a company that makes artificial corals for aquariums (they also have sponges, barnacles, pencil urchins, sea stars, and tunicates).
My first barnacle figures not part of the original Kitan Club set.

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 31 EmptyTue Jan 01, 2019 4:06 pm

cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 31 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2019 11:36 pm

Despite the arthropod thing, it seems your collection has the widest range of kinds of replicas. You do a really great research and your collection keeps increasing quickly.
I like particularly the firefly and I have to agree with Fernando, it is nicely detailed and we could never guess its small size. I am also curious to see the set as soon as you get it. It is not common to see firefly dedicated sets. Wink

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 31 EmptySat Jan 05, 2019 4:15 pm

Thank you Andreas and Roger.

Today we are revisiting the Miyama stag beetle, Lucanus maculifemoratus Motschulsky, 1861. It looks like since I last updated Bug of the Day with this species, I have acquired five more figures! This is the most-commonly made species in the genus, due to its popularity in Japanese culture.

First, the boxed figures. Left to right, top to bottom:
1. DeAgostini (World Insect Data Book)
2. Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. (Beetles of the World)
3. Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. (Beetles of the World) - female
4. Bandai (Bugs Museum)

Next, the elevated and dynamic figures. Left to right, back to front:
1. Epoch (Flying Beetles)
2. Kaiyodo (Choco Q Animatales)
3. Kaiyodo (Capsule Q Animatales - Stag Beetles)
4. Epoch (Beetle Battle 1)
5. Yujin (Insects of Japan)

Next a large wind-up toy (something that I normally don't collect) by AMAI (World of Insects Collection):

Next, large figures by T-TARTS and Sabarudo. Left to right, top to bottom:
1. T-TARTS (B.I.G. Insects 2015)
2. Sabarudo
3. T-TARTS (B.I.G. Beetles 2017)
4. T-TARTS (B.I.G. Insects 2016)
5. T-TARTS (B.I.G. Insects 2016)
6. T-TARTS (B.I.G. Insects 2017)

Lastly, random smaller figures. Left to right, top to bottom:
1. Sega (Mushi King)
2. F-Toys (Insect Hunter 2011)
3. unknown manufacturer (Coca Cola premium)
4. Sega
5. Hayakwa Toys (Insects Collection - Special)
6. Kabaya (World Insects - Series 1)
7. Sega
8. Hayakwa Toys (Insects Collection - Special)
9. Sega

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 31 EmptySat Jan 05, 2019 4:26 pm

Absolutly amazing :)

Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 31 EmptySun Jan 06, 2019 4:56 pm

I am coming up on one year since I started this thread, and why not celebrate with the first species to reach FIFTY figures! That of course would be the Japanese rhinoceros beetle, Allomyrina dichotoma (Linnaeus, 1771). This species is so prolific in toy form, that I have stopped collecting the annual releases by Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. and F-toys that are rehashes of the same sculpts and have not pursued Sega figures that are too alike ones I already have! It's nearly impossible to have a set or series of Japanese animals/insects and not have this species represented. It's quite popular in Japanese culture, where it goes by the name kabutomushi. My current 51 figures are represented by 20 known manufacturers and a few unknowns.

On to the figures...

First up, the boxed figures. Left to right, top to bottom:
1. DeAgostini (World Insects Data Book)
2. Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. (Beetles of the World) - male
3. Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. (Beetles of the World) - female
4. Bandai (Bugs Museum)
5. unknown Japanese manufacturer

Next are a couple larger plastic models. On the left is by an unknown manufacturer that shows up in blister packs with other vintage insect figures; on the right is by K&M International for their Insects Polybag collection.

Next are the large Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. and Sabarudo figures, as they tend to use the same sculpts. Clockwise from top left:
1. Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. (2005)
2. Sabarudo (2006)
3. Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. (2015)
4. Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. (2017)

These are the more dynamic and flying figures. Left to right, front to back:
1. Sega (Flying Beetles)
2. Epoch (Flying Beetles)
3. Bandai (Figure Pictorial Book of Gakken Insect)
4. Epoch (Beetle Battle 1)

Sega figures. All these figures in this next image are various incarnations by Sega, the most prolific company when it comes to making scarabaeoid beetles! There is another Sega figure in the following image I forgot to include here.

Other Japanese manufacturers. This is a collection of random figures from Japanese companies exclusive of Takara Tomy A.R.T.S., Sabarudo, and most Sega. From left to right, top to bottom:
1. Colorata (Tropical Rain Forest Rhinoceros Beetles)
2. Rement
3. Kaiyodo (Insects Gather to Sap - Night Feast of Midsummer)
4. Kaiyodo (Choco Q Animatales Series 10)
5. Yujin (Insects of Japan Series 1)
6. Access Toys (Rhinoceros Beetles)
7. F-toys (Insect Hunter Beetle and Stag Beetle - 2014)
8. F-toys (Insect Hunter Beetle and Stag Beetle - 2014)
9. F-toys (Insect Hunter Beetle and Stag Beetle - 2011)
10. F-toys (Encyclopedia of Insects Vol. 1 - 2007) - female
11. Kitan Club - Nature Techni Colour (Nature of Japan Vol. 2)
12. Maruka (Strongest Beetle Legend)
13. Sega (Mushi King)
14. Kabaya (Insect Directory)
15. unknown manufacturer [Coca Cola premium]
16. Kabaya (World Insect Series 1)
17. Hayakwa Toys (Insects Collection - Special)
18. Hayakwa Toys (Insects Collection - Special)
19. Hayakwa Toys (Insects Collection - Special) - female

Miscellaneous. These are random figures, many from unknown makers. Left to right, top to bottom:
1. CollectA
2. unknown manufacturer [from a dollar store blister pack]
3. MTC Trading Company (Creature Collection)
4. unknown manufacturer [rubberyfigure from a toy store in the Czech Republic] -my FIRST insect figure that started this hobby!
5. Club Earth (Backyard Bugs)
6. unknown [dollhouse decor]

Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 31 EmptySun Jan 06, 2019 5:07 pm

In the last two photos, I want to highlight:

The Colorata (Tropical Rain Forest Rhinoceros Beetles) and theunknown manufacturer [from a dollar

store blister pack].

Thanks for sharing. Applause

widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 31 EmptyMon Jan 07, 2019 10:14 am

cheers cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 31 EmptyTue Jan 08, 2019 12:39 am

Revisiting the Indian oakleaf butterfly, Kallima inachus (Doyere, 1840). The figure on the left is by Safari LTD (Wild Wraps); the one on the right is by Kabaya (Insect Directory). For the longest time I considered the Kabaya figure 'unique' until I recently stumbled upon the Safari figure (which came out in 1997!) on eBay!

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 31 EmptyTue Jan 08, 2019 12:02 pm

cheers cheers cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 31 EmptyTue Jan 08, 2019 9:41 pm

The flying beetles are really impressive.
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 31 EmptyWed Jan 09, 2019 1:21 am

Thanks Kiki!

Today I show a recent new species for me, the purple shore crab, Hemigrapsus nudus (Dana, 1851). This figure is by Safari LTD as part of their Wild Wraps collection (1997). The front legs (pincers) are longer than what you'd find in nature, but the exaggeration was required to make the figure bendable and fulfill the 'wrap' part of this particular line. As far as I know, this figure, which came out in 1997, remains a unique species.

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 31 EmptyWed Jan 09, 2019 10:12 am

Interesting crab

Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 31 EmptyWed Jan 23, 2019 4:12 am

A new species for me, the Goliath beetle Goliathus cacicus (Olivier, 1789) by K&M International from their Animal Record Breakers Tube set. Wow, this figure has been a Holy Grail for a while for me now and I did not think I'd ever come across one. For those of you not familiar with it, the Animal Record Breakers Tube is one of the rarest and most sought-after tube sets by K&M International. What's funny is I bought this beetle in a lot of 10 other generic toy insects on eBay....for $6 USD!!!! This beetle alone could have gone for $20-50 USD possibly. My guess is a parent was consolidating he/her kid's toys and just batched a bunch of insects together without realizing what it was.

There are 5, give or take, depending on what classification scheme you follow, valid species of Goliathus. Four have been made into toy/figure form:

Left to right, top to bottom:

G. orientalis by DeAgostini - World Insect Data Book'
G. cacicus by K&M International - Animal Record Breakers Tube
G. regius by Play Visions - Exotic Beetles
G. goliathus by Furuta - Choco Egg Funny Animal Series

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 31 EmptyWed Jan 23, 2019 5:27 am

Nice again, i see you have found the K&M goliath beetle :)

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 31 EmptyWed Jan 23, 2019 7:53 am

Very, very beautyful bugs !!! cheers

Impressive and rare, too , I am sure Very Happy

bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 31 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2019 12:33 am

Another new species, the giant amoeba Chaos carolinense (Wilson, 1900) by WizKids, HorrorClix: The Lab! This was actually intended to be a monster for a pokemon-like card game, but once you remove the embedded person (mine popped right out, I didn't have to cut mine out) it makes a nice replica of this large protozoan. Got the idea from stemturtle on the ATF.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 31 Empty

Back to top Go down

Blaine's Bug of the Day
Page 31 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Collections and collecting :: Collections-
Jump to: