Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Blaine's Bug of the Day

Go down 
+26
pipsxlch
rogerpgvg
Steve170
Tiermann
Caracal
Pardofelis
zirkoon
halichoeres
Megaptera
bmathison1972
SUSANNE
barracudacat
widukind
Nick
Anne from Norway
75senta75
ulinuk
kessan
Bowhead Whale
lucky luke
Wilorvise
Ana
TheLastStardust
landrover
Kikimalou
Roger
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 39 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 39 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2020 2:19 am

Roger wrote:
Yes, that a very kind gesture from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], a new member entering with a good spirit and showing figures rarely seen. Congratulations for completing this set, it is a very interesting one.

I didn't think I would ever complete it!!!!
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 39 EmptySat Aug 29, 2020 9:14 pm

I recently bought some Wing Mau snakes from NMR_Okapi and he threw in for free, and as a total surprise, a NEW SPECIES of arthropod for me, the Amazonian giant centipede, Scolopendra gigantea Linnaeus, 1758 by K&M International, part of the Venomous Adventure Nature Tube (1998). The bottom of the figure is marked 'giant Peruvian centipede', an alternative common name for this species.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 39 EmptySun Aug 30, 2020 1:15 am

Congrats on a new species of arthropod, there can't be many left in plastic form that you don't have!
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 39 EmptySun Aug 30, 2020 1:06 pm

cheers cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 39 EmptySun Aug 30, 2020 8:48 pm

Very interesting Centipede.
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 39 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2020 11:56 am

Going on my wishlist!

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 39 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2020 11:19 am

Finding an arthropod missing in your collection is surely not an easy task.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], if you have the blue viper? and the coral snake from the same tube of this centipede, TAW is still missing pictures. Wink

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 39 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2020 8:37 pm

Today, I received the Life With Insect set by Bandai, new for 2020. These were sold as exclusives at a grocery store in Japan. I secured mine early, before the prices skyrocketed LOL. There are 8 figures; I bought 7 of them (the 8th was a color morph of the D. hercules and cost twice as much!). They figures are all 1:1 in scale.

First, the boxes (paper towel role shows you the sizes of the boxes - much of the size is in packaging).

Figure A. Hercules beetle, Dynastes hercules:

Figure B. Stag beetle, Prosocopoilus giraffa:

Figure C. Goliath beetle, Goliathus goliatus:
This is a HUGE figure :)

Figure D. Little Barrier giant weta, Deinacrida heteracantha:
I plan on making this my next blogpost!

Figure E. This is a set of three smaller figures (but still 1:1). They are all immature stages:

1. The larva of the Japanese rhinoceros beetle, Allomyrina dichotoma:
Hard to appreciate in this pic, the posterior end of the abdomen is translucent.

2. Larva of the Asian swallowtail, Papilio xuthus:

3. nymphal exuvia of the large brown cicada, Graptopsaltria nigrofuscata:
Interesting, this is not the nymph, but rather the shed skin (exuvia). You can partially make out the slit in the top where the adult emerged from:

Here is a group shot of all of them:

Back to top Go down
halichoeres

halichoeres

Country/State : Illinois, USA

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 39 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2020 8:52 pm

These are so cool.

Advicot

Advicot

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 39 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2020 9:13 pm

Now these must be big! Their boxes are almost as big as kitchen roll!

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 39 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2020 9:15 pm

Advicot wrote:
Now these must be big! Their boxes are almost as big as kitchen roll!

it's a little deceiving, since a lot of space went into packaging.
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 39 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2020 9:17 pm

Ahh ok

Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 39 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2020 10:53 pm

Very nice bugs, I like the The larva of the rhinoceros beetle cheers cheers

costicuba

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 39 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2020 11:18 pm

These look`s amazing !
And on your photos , the real models are just as great , as on the promo pics... even not greater.
I also wanted to get them, but I was late with my choice..and now the prices are affraid
I am glad you took them earlier Very Happy
Big congratulations Blaine cheers

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 39 EmptyThu Sep 03, 2020 8:43 am

Very cool figures

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 39 EmptyThu Sep 03, 2020 10:23 am

They are very, very, very beautyful drunken

Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 39 EmptyThu Sep 03, 2020 11:55 pm

very realistic! cheers Applause
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 39 EmptySun Sep 06, 2020 1:03 am

These are all masterpieces in my opinion! They look all very realistic to me and the fact they are at 1:1 scale, is an important bonus. I am really impressed and your group shot makes this set looks tremendous. The weirdest thing to me is that cicada thing and I think my favourite model is the Goliath beetle. Though, on your group shot, the stag beetle looks like it is moving and that you used a real insect.

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 39 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2020 2:51 am

2020 Kaiyodo Revogeo Asian giant hornet, Vespa mandarinia Smith, 1852.

This will be my next Blog review, later this week or next weekend.

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 39 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2020 8:15 am

Congratulations

Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 39 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2020 11:41 am

very impressive replica! cheers Applause
Back to top Go down
halichoeres

halichoeres

Country/State : Illinois, USA

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 39 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2020 6:22 pm

Cool. Nice thing about arthropods is the exoskeleton makes articulations much less obtrusive than in vertebrate models.

SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 39 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2020 7:36 pm

Uhhhh ! Run, run ! A creature from a horror movie affraid

I know I am silly, but that picture gives me goose flesh Laughing

That probably means that it is a fabulously realistic model ? Very Happy

Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 39 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2020 7:44 pm

I haven't commented much in the past because I am generally not much of an entomologist. However, I do enjoy perusing your models once in a while. That giant hornet is both beautifully colored and designed, it is a real art piece! And the beetles are beyond words... excellent recent acquisitions!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 39 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2020 1:47 am

New arrivals today, the Anomalocaris canadensis and Olenoides serratus from the 2020 Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. set called, The Great Old Sea. They are articulated, and there is minimal assembly for the Anomalocaris. Not sure why I bought these, other than I am a completist for most arthropods identifiable at the genus or species level. These represent the first and third most commonly made extinct arthropods (Opabinia is probably second), and there are better examples on the market. Don't get me wrong, however, as I really like them. The third figure in the set was an (extant?) coelocanth.

I plan on reviewing the Amomalocaris for the Dino Toy Blog, and maybe the Olenoides, unless someone else really has the urge to.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Bug of the Day   Blaine's Bug of the Day - Page 39 Empty

Back to top Go down

Blaine's Bug of the Day
Page 39 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Collections and collecting :: Collections-
Jump to: