Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

walkaround: Deep Sea Pram Bug (Ikimon - Nature Techni Colour)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

walkaround: Deep Sea Pram Bug (Ikimon - Nature Techni Colour) Empty
PostSubject: walkaround: Deep Sea Pram Bug (Ikimon - Nature Techni Colour)   walkaround: Deep Sea Pram Bug (Ikimon - Nature Techni Colour) EmptySun Aug 20, 2017 2:41 pm

Walk-around of the deep-sea pram bug, Phronima sedentaria (Forsskal, 1775), by Ikimon Co. (formerly, Kitan Club) - Nature Techni Colour, Deep Sea Creatures, new for 2017. Phronima sedentaria is an unusual pelagic amphipod that usually lives at a depth of 1000 m (0.6 miles). It is predaceous on salps (a kind of planktonic tunicate). Females tear into a salp, eat the gelatinous innards, and then use the empty shell as a barrel-like structure to swim around in while raising its young. This figure, which comes within it's salp shell, is not only the first amphipod figure (to my knowledge), but also the first salp (although not the first tunicate).

The figure was in a set of 8 'deep sea' critters, including mollusks, arthropods, and fish. The other 'new' species in the set was another arthropod, the giant ostracod Gigantocypris agassizii.

The figure is on a key chain, and I removed the chain and cut away the plastic ring to which it was attached. The salp is 40 mm tall. I cannot stretch out the amphipod itself, as it's a relatively firm, single-piece of plastic, but it's roughly 40-45 mm, making it 1:1 for a large female specimen! The amphipod easily comes out of its salp, it does not connect to the salp in any way but sits loosely within the barrel. The hole at the bottom is narrow enough that it will not fall out easily.

The detail on the amphipod itself it amazing. It was hard to photograph for the walkaround since it's transparent except for some structures in the head. I probably should have photographed it over a black or dark background.

The amphipod within the salp:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The amphipod itself:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I hope recent issues with Photobucket don't prevent others from posting their new critters... :)
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: walkaround: Deep Sea Pram Bug (Ikimon - Nature Techni Colour)   walkaround: Deep Sea Pram Bug (Ikimon - Nature Techni Colour) EmptyMon Aug 21, 2017 3:24 am

Very nice :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: walkaround: Deep Sea Pram Bug (Ikimon - Nature Techni Colour)   walkaround: Deep Sea Pram Bug (Ikimon - Nature Techni Colour) EmptySat Sep 09, 2017 2:23 pm

Original!
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: walkaround: Deep Sea Pram Bug (Ikimon - Nature Techni Colour)   walkaround: Deep Sea Pram Bug (Ikimon - Nature Techni Colour) EmptySat Sep 09, 2017 3:26 pm

Impressive, I can't wait for mine. Thank you for this nice and informative topic.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: walkaround: Deep Sea Pram Bug (Ikimon - Nature Techni Colour)   walkaround: Deep Sea Pram Bug (Ikimon - Nature Techni Colour) EmptySat Sep 09, 2017 6:48 pm

Quite unusual and interesting! It may be surely one of the most uncommon keychains I've ever seen. Shocked I love it! Figures like these make this hobby surely a very special one. Very Happy

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: walkaround: Deep Sea Pram Bug (Ikimon - Nature Techni Colour)   walkaround: Deep Sea Pram Bug (Ikimon - Nature Techni Colour) EmptySun Sep 10, 2017 12:07 am

Roger wrote:
Quite unusual and interesting! It may be surely one of the most uncommon keychains I've ever seen. Shocked I love it! Figures like these make this hobby surely a very special one. Very Happy

Japanese companies are still incredible Very Happy

At 45mm, it is avery respectable size too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: walkaround: Deep Sea Pram Bug (Ikimon - Nature Techni Colour)   walkaround: Deep Sea Pram Bug (Ikimon - Nature Techni Colour) Empty

Back to top Go down

walkaround: Deep Sea Pram Bug (Ikimon - Nature Techni Colour)
Page 1 of 1