Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

European Wolf Spider (Papo - Wild Animals)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

papo - European Wolf Spider (Papo - Wild Animals) Empty
PostSubject: European Wolf Spider (Papo - Wild Animals)   papo - European Wolf Spider (Papo - Wild Animals) EmptySun Aug 20, 2017 7:43 pm

Walk-around of the European wolf spider, Lycosa tarantula (Linnaeus, 1758) by Papo! This figure is sold under the English name, tarantula, a name typically reserved in English these days for mygalomorphs of the family Theraphosidae. However, this guy is the 'original tarantula', as indicated by its species epithet. Insect folklore, or so I remember, states that it was believed that if one was bitten by this spider, that individual would suffer from tarantism that can be cured by dancing the tarantella!

The figure. WOW. This is Papo's first arthropod, which means it's my first Papo figure (for those of you aware of my taxonomic specialties). It is my sixth wolf spider figure (including two versions by Bullyland, and one each by Takara TOMY, Funrise Toys, and Play Visions) and it is by far the BEST. The proportions, eye arrangement, joints, color are all spot-on. I do not know much about sexing spiders so I cannot tell its gender, but at 50 mm (body length), it is 1.67:1 for a large female and 2.5:1 for a large male.

The cephalothorax and abdomen are firm but the legs are quite soft and movable (but not posable).

I encourage everyone to go out and buy one! Not only because it's an amazing figure, but the success of sales could dictate whether or not Papo continues to make arthropods ;D Cool (they are releasing a scorpion this year as well). Given Papo's flare for the dramatic, they are likely to focus on stingers and biters.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: European Wolf Spider (Papo - Wild Animals)   papo - European Wolf Spider (Papo - Wild Animals) EmptyThu Aug 24, 2017 5:19 pm

That spider i dont like in real :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Songbird

Songbird

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: European Wolf Spider (Papo - Wild Animals)   papo - European Wolf Spider (Papo - Wild Animals) EmptyThu Aug 24, 2017 5:38 pm

I have phobia to spiders and I can't see this topic anymore. Unfortunately for me, it's a very realistic model. Congrats! Applause
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: European Wolf Spider (Papo - Wild Animals)   papo - European Wolf Spider (Papo - Wild Animals) EmptyThu Aug 24, 2017 6:29 pm

I thought it was beautiful but now that I read your comments about its accuracy, I know I will buy one.

By the way, Papo used the French habit for the name: The Lycosa tarantula is named a Tarentule and the mygalomorphs are named Mygale... Silly country Wink
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: European Wolf Spider (Papo - Wild Animals)   papo - European Wolf Spider (Papo - Wild Animals) EmptyThu Aug 24, 2017 6:55 pm

We lost recently, due to Photobucket purge, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] of this figure. So, your review is quite oportune. However, I tend to study a way to recover it but it will take a long time. Sleep
So, this is your first Papo... and it is my only spider figure in my collection. All said. Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: European Wolf Spider (Papo - Wild Animals)   papo - European Wolf Spider (Papo - Wild Animals) Empty

Back to top Go down

European Wolf Spider (Papo - Wild Animals)
Page 1 of 1