Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Insects of Japan Vol. 2 (Yujin)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

Insects of Japan Vol. 2 (Yujin) Empty
PostSubject: Insects of Japan Vol. 2 (Yujin)   Insects of Japan Vol. 2 (Yujin) EmptySun Oct 01, 2017 5:06 pm

Time for Volume 2 of the Insects of Japan by Yujin, following Volume 1 from last night. I was originally thinking of putting all four series into one thread but it would have been a lot of images/species in just one thread, so I will break them up as they were released. There was a publicity photo for a potential fifth set, but to my knowledge it never materialized (it may have been sidetracked during the Yujin-Takara transition). As the name suggests, all species are Japanese/Asian.

The sets vary in the number of figures in each set, and each set seems to have a taxonomic focus to some degree. Each set also has one 'secret' figure. Volume 2, reviewed here, has 12 figures (11 and 1 secret), and if I had to put a focus on it, I would say either Odonota (dragonflies and damselflies) of the orthopteroids (mantids and grasshoppers). At the time of this writing, seven of the figures appear to be 'unique' and for three others I have only one other figure of them. Only the mantis and migratory locust seem to be made with any frequency. So, if you are a collector of uncommon species, this may be a set of you!

All of the figures in each series appear to be molded after actual specimens. As such, all figures are 1:1 in size (also explains the exquisite detail in each of these, including the incredibly accurate wing venation on the odonates!!!). All figures require some degree of assembly, and given they are molded after actual specimens, it means legs and antennae can be very thin and delicate. Care must be taken with assembly; it also helps to secure some with glue. Several figures also come on habitat-style bases, which if you follow my posts, know I am a high fan of.

On to the figures, based on their overall numbering in the series:

13. Stag beetle, Neolucanus protogenetivus okinawanus.
The only beetle in Volume 2, this species has been made once more by DeAgostini (although Sega made two other species in this genus, and quite possibly this species as well).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

14. Slant-faced grasshopper, Acrida cinerea.
A thin and delicate figure, this species was also made by Hayakwa Toys. One of my favorites of the set!

15. Migratory locust, Locusta migratoria.
This species has been made several times (but interestingly only once in the gregarious color morph), including by Kaiyodo, Furuta (twice), Funrise Toys, Rement, Hayakwa Toys, and 4D Master.

16. katydid, Hexacentrus unicolor.
Another favorite of mine and a unique species. Katydids are quite rarely made in figure form, so this is a nice treat.

17. Japanese giant mantid, Tenodera aridifolia.
This is the other commonly-represented species in the set, having also been made by Bandai, Furuta, Hayakwa Toys, and Rement. Some generic grasshoppers by Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. for their B.I.G. Insects series may also be this species.

18. The mosaic darner, Aeschna nigroflava.
The only other figure of this dragonfly I am aware of is a small one by Kaiyodo for their Birdtales line.

19. Jewelwing, Calopteryx atrata.
This is another one of my favorites overall! Not only is this a unique species, but I think it is the only member of Zygoptera (damselflies). All other Odonata figures appear to be Zygoptera (dragonflies). I love that it sits atop a stone in a flowing creek!!!!

20. The glider, Ryothemis fulginosa.
The first of three libellulid dragonflies in the set (four total in the whole series), all of which are unique species. Color-wise this if my favorite.

21. The common skimmer, Orthetrum albistylum speciosum.
If you look carefully, this figure has it's nymphal exuviae at the bottom of the twig it sits on!

22. The scarlet skimmer, Crocothemis servilia.
The third of the three unique libellulids in the set, this one is shown flying above, rather than perching on, a plant.

23. Paper wasp, Polistes rothneyi.
This is probably my favorite in the set (although honestly, it is hard to pick a favorite among this set!), as it sits atop its highly-detailed (and possibly also molded) nest. I have four Polistes figures, all representing different species from different parts of the world. I am still lacking the Play Visions figure, which could represent another species (need to see it to be sure).

24. SECRET, burnet moth Erasmia pulchella nipponica.
This secret figure is a peek at the first lepidopterans in the set. It is, of course, a unique figure and only the second zygaenid moth I am aware of in toy/figure form. It is another delightfully dynamic figure, as if about to land on a tree or bush.

Last edited by bmathison1972 on Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:10 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Insects of Japan Vol. 2 (Yujin)   Insects of Japan Vol. 2 (Yujin) EmptySun Oct 01, 2017 5:23 pm

Wonderful too :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Benga

Benga

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Insects of Japan Vol. 2 (Yujin)   Insects of Japan Vol. 2 (Yujin) EmptySun Oct 01, 2017 5:53 pm

Looks amazing!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Insects of Japan Vol. 2 (Yujin)   Insects of Japan Vol. 2 (Yujin) Empty

Back to top Go down

Insects of Japan Vol. 2 (Yujin)
Page 1 of 1