Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Butterflies and Moths

Go down 
+4
widukind
Bowhead Whale
SyLoBe
SUSANNE
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

Butterflies and Moths - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 02, 2017 9:35 pm

Roger wrote:
Bowhead Whale wrote:
Roger wrote:
I think your choice for a black witch moth is very adjusted to the date. Laughing Wonderful moths again and looking forward to see the 23th one as well as your other projects.
About the Toy Major swallowtail, I renamed it to a luna moth under your suggestion. Eventually I will add a note and it will remain like that until someone find a better approach. :)

My 23rd Lepidoptere model is finihed and I will photograph it tomorrow. Would you like to guess what it is?

Yes, I suppose it is a vampire moth. study Evil or Very Mad Wink

No, it's not.

However, I cannot show it to you right now: Postimage is having serious downloading problems right now... Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 03, 2017 12:34 am

Bowhead Whale wrote:
Roger wrote:
Bowhead Whale wrote:
Roger wrote:
I think your choice for a black witch moth is very adjusted to the date. Laughing Wonderful moths again and looking forward to see the 23th one as well as your other projects.
About the Toy Major swallowtail, I renamed it to a luna moth under your suggestion. Eventually I will add a note and it will remain like that until someone find a better approach. :)

My 23rd Lepidoptere model is finihed and I will photograph it tomorrow. Would you like to guess what it is?

Yes, I suppose it is a vampire moth. study Evil or Very Mad Wink

No, it's not.

However, I cannot show it to you right now: Postimage is having serious downloading problems right now... Crying or Very sad

I hope you manage a way to upload it. I have no idea how to guess it.. scratch A ghost moth? A unicorn caterpillar moth? ... or is it another Canadian species?

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 03, 2017 8:23 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

THYSANIA ZENOBIA
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 03, 2017 9:21 pm

Applause Applause Applause

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 03, 2017 10:13 pm

A nice owl moth, how could I guess it? scratch
Revisiting your beautiful figures, some look like works of contemporary art, I have to admit my favorite is the white admiral. Very Happy

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 04, 2017 7:37 pm

Roger wrote:
Revisiting your beautiful figures, some look like works of contemporary art, I have to admit my favorite is the white admiral. Very Happy

Well, you could have guessed it for being a North American species. bom But of course, nobody can know of all lepidoptere species in a given continent. affraid

So, your favorite is my White Admiral. Is it because it's your favorite species of butterfly?
Back to top Go down
Dum_my

Dum_my

Country/State : Nederland

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 07, 2017 9:55 pm

Wow i foung you topic (i guessed there was because of your comment on the snakes!)
Wat a great use of different materials!
I like them very much Very Happy

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 08, 2017 10:41 pm

Dum_my wrote:
Wow i foung you topic (i guessed there was because of your comment on the snakes!)
Wat a great use of different materials!
I like them very much Very Happy

Thank you!
I'm thinking orf making more of them. But I have to "slice" more wood to make wings, first.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 09, 2017 12:12 am

Bowhead Whale wrote:
Roger wrote:

Well, you could have guessed it for being a North American species. bom But of course, nobody can know of all lepidoptere species in a given continent. affraid

So, your favorite is my White Admiral. Is it because it's your favorite species of butterfly?

No, my favorite species is not exactly a Nature beauty and it is also often considered a pest. It is the large white (Pieris brassicae) . I was still a very young boy, when my (now) 91 years oldAunt teached me how to identify their caterpillars. I used to spend a lot of time searching them, they are very voracious creatures. Soon, I learned, that they ended like these white butterflies I used to see everywhere. If you ask me which species I find more beautiful, I fear I won't ever be able of answering it once I will never know all species and among these I've seen, there are a lot incredibly beautiful.

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 11, 2017 8:50 pm

Roger wrote:
Bowhead Whale wrote:
Roger wrote:

No, my favorite species is not exactly a Nature beauty and it is also often considered a pest. It is the large white (Pieris brassicae) . I was still a very young boy, when my (now) 91 years oldAunt teached me how to identify their caterpillars. I used to spend a lot of time searching them, they are very voracious creatures. Soon, I learned, that they ended like these white butterflies I used to see everywhere. If you ask me which species I find more beautiful, I fear I won't ever be able of answering it once I will never know all species and among these I've seen, there are a lot incredibly beautiful.

So, you simply like my White Admiral because you think it's the one I represented in the best way.

Funnily, when I made my butterflies, I did think about making a Pieris brassicae. Only, for some reason, I chose to make a Clover Pierid instead... Do you think I should make a white pierid too?
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 12, 2017 11:55 pm

Bowhead Whale wrote:
Roger wrote:
Bowhead Whale wrote:
Roger wrote:

So, you simply like my White Admiral because you think it's the one I represented in the best way.

Funnily, when I made my butterflies, I did think about making a Pieris brassicae. Only, for some reason, I chose to make a Clover Pierid instead... Do you think I should make a white pierid too?

Why not a caterpillar of the large white? I believe it could result very challenging and I have no idea which kind of materials could you use but something different could expand your butterfly artistic expression. The adult is ratter simple, I guess. Another species that occurr in Portugal that I find interesting is Maculinea alcon, a lycanid, not because of the blue color of the males but because they have a very curious relation with ants.... and I love most ant-related animals. Wink Laughing
I scrolled again and I keep finding your white admiral the most pleasant of all your works. That's a beautiful butterfly and your artistic sense resulted precious with that particular species. Very Happy

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 14, 2017 9:30 pm

Roger wrote:
Bowhead Whale wrote:
Roger wrote:
Bowhead Whale wrote:
Roger wrote:

Why not a caterpillar of the large white?  I believe it could result very challenging and I have no idea which kind of materials could you use but something different could expand your butterfly artistic expression. The adult is ratter simple, I guess. Another species that occurr in Portugal that I find interesting is Maculinea alcon, a lycanid, not because of the blue color of the males but because they have a very curious relation with ants.... and I love most ant-related animals. Wink Laughing
I scrolled again and I keep finding your white admiral the most pleasant of all your works. That's a beautiful butterfly and your artistic sense resulted precious with that particular species. Very Happy

And I thought my White Admiral looked like a geometrical shape... I Drew the "nerves" on the wings to make it look more alive. When I first saw the result, I had the feeling I Drew the lightened Windows of a sky scraper, not the wings of a butterfly. But I didn't know how to "repair" it. And here you say it's the most beautiful butterfly I made...
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 22, 2017 1:06 pm

sorry for the delay. Some of these are very nice, some are a little crude for me (wing shape). Does the sawdust make the paint likely to flake off over time? Do you seal it with something? When I paint figures, I always use a satin varnish at the end.
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 22, 2017 10:47 pm

Yes, I use varnish. Gloss acrylic varnish. And the sawdust does not make the paint flake, to the contrary: it HOLDS the paint on. If it was not of the sawdust, the paint would flake off the silliccone in no time. But the sawdust, being basically wood after all, sticks to silliccone and paint sticks to sawdust. And everything is fine in the end!

As for the shape of the wings, well, yes, I admit they sometimes look like airplane wings. And a few of my lépidoptères look a lot like airplanes. But you know, with wood, I need to make a few sacrifices on the accuracy!
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Bowhead Whale wrote:
Yes, I use varnish. Gloss acrylic varnish. And the sawdust does not make the paint flake, to the contrary: it HOLDS the paint on. If it was not of the sawdust, the paint would flake off the silliccone in no time. But the sawdust, being basically wood after all, sticks to silliccone and paint sticks to sawdust. And everything is fine in the end!

As for the shape of the wings, well, yes, I admit they sometimes look like airplane wings. And a few of my lépidoptères look a lot like airplanes. But you know, with wood, I need to make a few sacrifices on the accuracy!

If you sell any, I would not mind having a representative or two for my collection. It would be nice to have the work of a fellow STS/ATF member in my collection.
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 26, 2017 3:58 pm

Which ones do you like best?
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 22, 2019 9:07 pm

Here is the last one I made:
Gamelia pyrrhomelas
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 23, 2019 8:20 am

Nice again

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 05, 2019 9:14 pm

LAMBDINA FISCELLARIA

CARIPETA DIVISATA

CATOCALA BRISAEIS
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 06, 2019 8:15 am

Nice again

Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 12, 2019 9:51 pm

Epelis truncataria

Heliconius erato
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 13, 2019 5:32 pm

cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Butterflies and Moths - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Butterflies and Moths
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2