Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Walk-around: Puss Moth Caterpillar (Sun Wai Toys)

Go down 
+2
Roger
bmathison1972
6 posters
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

Walk-around: Puss Moth Caterpillar (Sun Wai Toys) Empty
PostSubject: Walk-around: Puss Moth Caterpillar (Sun Wai Toys)   Walk-around: Puss Moth Caterpillar (Sun Wai Toys) EmptySat Oct 21, 2017 3:28 am

Walk-around of the caterpillar of the puss moth, Cerura vinula (Linnaeus, 1758) by Sun Wai Toys. This species occurs throughout much of Europe, temperate Asia to China, and northern Africa.

A little history about this figure. I found it a few years ago, randomly online on Archie McPhee's novelty website when doing various Google searches for 'toy insects'. The first one was actually lost in the mail (quite possibly stolen from my front porch--that happened a couple times during that period), and was replaced free-of-charge by Archie McPhee. I knew nothing about the figure, but to find a toy of such an interesting and distinctive caterpillar, I had to have one. I didn't realize how interesting this figure was to other people. I have had a few private messages asking where to get one, and even a couple people practically begging me to sell them mine! This ranks up with my Imperial Toys walking stick as a real treasure!

I think Sun Wai made at least a sphinx moth caterpillar as well. Sun Wai figures, at least the few arthropods I have, are larger, yet detailed novelty-style. Most are fairly realistic (although their lobster looks like a mashup of a Maine and spiny lobster...)

Like many of the Sun Wai toys, the figure is large and a soft, hollow plastic. The figure measures roughly 225 mm (not including the caudal appendages), making it nearly 3:1 for an average caterpillar (although its stature makes it appear so much bigger). It is surprisingly detailed for what amounts to a novelty toy.

On to the pics:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Walk-around: Puss Moth Caterpillar (Sun Wai Toys)   Walk-around: Puss Moth Caterpillar (Sun Wai Toys) EmptySat Oct 21, 2017 8:30 am

I understand the excitment around that figure. The species choice is tremendous, these caterpillars a unique defensive behavior and it is represented in this toy. It has also a somewhat distinct appearance looking like a creature from another planet. It is quite large and surely it display well due to its pose. Very interesting figure, thanks for showing. Very Happy

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Walk-around: Puss Moth Caterpillar (Sun Wai Toys)   Walk-around: Puss Moth Caterpillar (Sun Wai Toys) EmptySat Oct 21, 2017 9:39 am

Beautieful, very beautieful

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
zirkoon

zirkoon

PostSubject: Re: Walk-around: Puss Moth Caterpillar (Sun Wai Toys)   Walk-around: Puss Moth Caterpillar (Sun Wai Toys) EmptySat Oct 21, 2017 10:37 am

Very special figure, looks realy beautiful.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Walk-around: Puss Moth Caterpillar (Sun Wai Toys)   Walk-around: Puss Moth Caterpillar (Sun Wai Toys) EmptyWed Oct 25, 2017 8:36 pm

It is an incredible item. Congratulation!
Back to top Go down
75senta75

75senta75

PostSubject: Re: Walk-around: Puss Moth Caterpillar (Sun Wai Toys)   Walk-around: Puss Moth Caterpillar (Sun Wai Toys) EmptyWed Oct 25, 2017 11:04 pm

Thanks for the very interesting pictures! Smile

PostSubject: Re: Walk-around: Puss Moth Caterpillar (Sun Wai Toys)   Walk-around: Puss Moth Caterpillar (Sun Wai Toys) Empty

Back to top Go down

Walk-around: Puss Moth Caterpillar (Sun Wai Toys)
Page 1 of 1