Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

White tail deer

Go down 
+4
Saarlooswolfhound
widukind
Advicot
Taos
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

White tail deer Empty
PostSubject: White tail deer   White tail deer EmptyThu Apr 23, 2020 11:31 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

White tail deer Empty
PostSubject: Re: White tail deer   White tail deer EmptyThu Apr 23, 2020 12:54 pm

I thought my herd of this species was big as I have seven unlike your amazing nineteen strong herd. :)

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

White tail deer Empty
PostSubject: Re: White tail deer   White tail deer EmptyThu Apr 23, 2020 1:39 pm

cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

White tail deer Empty
PostSubject: Re: White tail deer   White tail deer EmptyThu Apr 23, 2020 2:38 pm

Thanks. Smile
Adam, I didn't realise how many I had either until I sorted them all out!

Advicot

White tail deer Empty
PostSubject: Re: White tail deer   White tail deer EmptyThu Apr 23, 2020 2:44 pm

Just FYI the CollectA models are red deer :)

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

White tail deer Empty
PostSubject: Re: White tail deer   White tail deer EmptyThu Apr 23, 2020 6:16 pm

Great again! Someday I'd love to see a mule deer made instead of a whitetail by a major brand.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Taos

Taos

White tail deer Empty
PostSubject: Re: White tail deer   White tail deer EmptyFri Apr 24, 2020 11:09 am

Yes,Paige I would agree they should make a Mule Deer as they are the second most common deer in the USA.Can't see why they are all hung up on producing White tails!

Taos

White tail deer Empty
PostSubject: Re: White tail deer   White tail deer EmptyFri Apr 24, 2020 11:57 am

Adam are these the deer you mean?They were marketed by Procon(Collect A) as British wildlife-there was a badger,Red fox and European otter as well but they are certainly not Red deer.The shape,antlers and marking are all wrong.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Caracal

Country/State : France

White tail deer Empty
PostSubject: Re: White tail deer   White tail deer EmptyFri Apr 24, 2020 12:08 pm

very impressive herd! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

White tail deer Empty
PostSubject: Re: White tail deer   White tail deer EmptyFri Apr 24, 2020 12:32 pm

Taos wrote:
Adam are these the deer you mean?They were marketed by Procon(Collect A) as British wildlife-there was a badger,Red fox and European otter as well but they are certainly not Red deer.The shape,antlers and marking are all wrong.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I never thought of that, but you are right Shocked Very Happy Laughing

Advicot

Advicot

White tail deer Empty
PostSubject: Re: White tail deer   White tail deer EmptyFri Apr 24, 2020 1:05 pm

Sorry it's my bad eyesight your right they do look better as whitetail

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

White tail deer Empty
PostSubject: Re: White tail deer   White tail deer EmptyFri Apr 24, 2020 10:58 pm

Only to clear up things. This family of deers was always marketed as red deer as we can see in this 2007 catalogue printscreen.I also asked CollectA (indirectly) in the past if they were sure those were red deers and they replied in an afirmative way.
I do also think they look more like white-tails although antlers are not also perfect for a buck but surely closer than what we expect from a stag (red deer).
Notice also the tails, they are slightly to the large side, again more like white-tails than red deers.
In my opinion, and considering the range available on woodlands series, CollectA wanted to introduce an European species, thus, red deers.
However, I think the sculptor messed it and sculpted the figures with loads of white-tail features. I think they are less inaccurate as white-tails than as red deers.
Another circunstance corroborating with the red deer conspiration Laughing is that these figures were all retired in 2011 and replaced by a new family of red deers, the white-tail was only released in 2018 and that's a undoubtful one.

As collectors we can use them as we want but as a TAW editor what should be done? Wink Laughing

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Country/State : Luxembourg

White tail deer Empty
PostSubject: Re: White tail deer   White tail deer EmptyFri Apr 24, 2020 11:16 pm

Roger wrote:

As collectors we can use them as we want but as a TAW editor what should be done? Wink  Laughing

Normally we should go with the catalog description. But as we have already often seen, those description and the final product sometimes don´t fit. Then, I think we should go with the identification from the "experts" and use the species, that fits better. So, I would say we should name it white-tailed Deer with a note, that the company wanted to present a red deer.
The same we can do we our marten discussion in the other thread, too Laughing

I think that a note is always a good compromise.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

White tail deer Empty
PostSubject: Re: White tail deer   White tail deer EmptySat Apr 25, 2020 8:22 am

I just checked, -  mine are only marked

(c) 2006 Procon
Made in China
but have the old CollectA tag.

No help there Rolling Eyes
- and I would say that it is fortunate.
Always a shame if children are tought the wrong things !

If that is the case with them all, it makes it more reasonable to name them White-tailed .

but....is it possible to mention them as both  with links back to the same page ?

I always think of what will make the wiki most useful, also for not-hardcore collectors.
See, Adam, he would immediately search for them und WTdeer, because he knows about animals.
but if somebody had an older catalogue, or had bought them as red deer and needed more info,  the search might be in vain scratch

Taos

Taos

White tail deer Empty
PostSubject: Re: White tail deer   White tail deer EmptySat Apr 25, 2020 2:20 pm

I think as suggested before that they should be catalogued as White tail deer with reference that they were sold as Red deer.I still think the features are more in line with this species than Red deer.The antlers may not be the best but they are nowhere near that of Red Deer.Also as was said that tails are long like White tail and also they have the white throat patch that is also White tail and never seen in Red Deer.

Admin
Roger

White tail deer Empty
PostSubject: Re: White tail deer   White tail deer EmptySat Apr 25, 2020 8:52 pm

Thanks for your feedback. Your opinions are convergent so I think it is sensate that I follow them.
I will rename them using generic names. I will list them also in the white-tailed deers page but letting the links on red deer pages as Susanne suggested.
I will also use a not telling they are white-tailed deers acording with the identification provided by the collectors community but with a clear reference that they were always marketed as red deers. Very Happy

Admin
SUSANNE

White tail deer Empty
PostSubject: Re: White tail deer   White tail deer EmptySat Apr 25, 2020 9:06 pm

Roger, I admire your incredible patience !!! Shocked
What would TAI be without you ? No

I might just have linked them as horned lizards and hoped nobody notice Laughing

Taos

Taos

White tail deer Empty
PostSubject: Re: White tail deer   White tail deer EmptySun Apr 26, 2020 3:06 pm

Many thanks Roger! Smile

Admin
Roger

White tail deer Empty
PostSubject: Re: White tail deer   White tail deer EmptySun Apr 26, 2020 3:16 pm

You're welcome but TAW is a collective project, we are all important.
Susanne, I am sure nobody would notice it. Laughing

White tail deer Empty
PostSubject: Re: White tail deer   White tail deer Empty

Back to top Go down

White tail deer
Page 1 of 1