Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Galapagos tortoises

Go down 
+2
Pardofelis
SerAndrew
6 posters
AuthorMessage
SerAndrew

Country/State : Spain/Madrid

Galapagos tortoises Empty
PostSubject: Galapagos tortoises   Galapagos tortoises EmptyWed Jun 10, 2020 5:02 pm

Hi there!
As some of you may know, I recently received the Yujin Takara Turtle/Tortoise set. Among all the models there were three I wasn't interested because already had the species or because I didn't like the model at all.
One of those was the giant galapago. However, thanks to Pardofelis, I realized that there are different "species" inside the Chelonoidis nigra complex, so now I intent to keep both as two different ones.
They are the Schleich and the Takara Tomy tortoises, which I show below. The main "problem" is the difference in size, being the Schleich one much bigger than the other.
So, what do you think? Do you think they can cohabit in my habitat as two different species? And which ones?
Thank you very much :)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Galapagos tortoises   Galapagos tortoises EmptyWed Jun 10, 2020 7:10 pm

As you know, I considere the spliting of this species into several invented species as ridiculous (as 90% of the modern taxonomic changes after the Taxonomic Revolution). They're subspecies.

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Galapagos tortoises   Galapagos tortoises EmptyWed Jun 10, 2020 7:49 pm

Both are wonderful, - and perhaps the smallest one is not fully grown ? Very Happy

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Galapagos tortoises   Galapagos tortoises EmptyWed Jun 10, 2020 8:32 pm

That's a hard question. I haven't found many people in this forum being able of identifying the several species, subspecies or populations of the Galápagos tortoise complex. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], maybe can help you... scratch
Sometimes, the same "species" show differences in the shapes of the shell or neck length what turns really hard to determine what is what. However, it is easy to reply to your main question and I think you should keep both. These tortoises exist in a wide diversity of sizes and youngsters look like older specimens. Also, the small model won't take too much room.

Pardofelis wrote:
As you know, I considere the spliting of this species into several invented species as ridiculous (as 90% of the modern taxonomic changes after the Taxonomic Revolution). They're subspecies.

Not disagreeing with you, you probably know it is sometimes only to adjust to the laws of certain countries. their classification as species or subspecies can change a lot their conservation status and consequently the effort to not get these creatures extinct. It is not valid to these tortoises once I think they're all endangered but it makes a huge difference regarding giraffes for instance. Some populations are not protected in their countries ecause they're considered subspecies, thus, a part of a much wider group.
It is sometimes more political than scientific.

Country/State : Spain/Madrid

PostSubject: Re: Galapagos tortoises   Galapagos tortoises EmptyWed Jun 10, 2020 8:56 pm

Thank you, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. I definitely keep both for the moment, you convinced me.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], I really don't mind if they are subspecies or "real" species according.

Nice and enthusiastic words, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], as always. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Galapagos tortoises   Galapagos tortoises EmptySat Jul 25, 2020 12:16 pm

Hi, I spent countless hours on this topic. I also met an old professor of mine to discuss some Tortoise models. So, I could identify that the one from Papo for example is an Aldabra Giant Tortoise.
The one from Schleich, you have shown, could be a female San Cristobal Tortoise aka Chelonoidis chathamensis.
The overall shape of the carapace shows the intermediate Form, which is between the domed and the Saddleback one.
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Galapagos tortoises   Galapagos tortoises EmptySat Jul 25, 2020 12:22 pm

Interesting, another reason why it should enter my collection, thank you :)

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Galapagos tortoises   Galapagos tortoises EmptySat Jul 25, 2020 12:24 pm

By the way, genetically there are around 12 different species inside the Galapagos complex.
Here are some images for the Schleich species:
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Galapagos tortoises   Galapagos tortoises EmptySat Jul 25, 2020 12:31 pm

Your other model is a Fernandina Giant Tortoise, which was thought to be extinct. But it was rediscovered, when they were searching for Pinta Island Tortoises.
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

PostSubject: Re: Galapagos tortoises   Galapagos tortoises EmptySat Jul 25, 2020 12:38 pm

Which other model, the Schleich from the 1990s?

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Galapagos tortoises   Galapagos tortoises EmptySat Jul 25, 2020 5:21 pm

Advicot wrote:
Which other model, the Schleich from the 1990s?

I mean the Takara Tomy one from above. Sorry for this mistake Shocked
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

PostSubject: Re: Galapagos tortoises   Galapagos tortoises EmptySat Jul 25, 2020 10:31 pm

Oh it's fine, no worries

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Galapagos tortoises   Galapagos tortoises Empty

Back to top Go down

Galapagos tortoises
Page 1 of 1