Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Galápagos tortoise ok but what under-specie?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Paleochris

Country/State : FRANCE

Galápagos tortoise ok but what under-specie? Empty
PostSubject: Galápagos tortoise ok but what under-specie?   Galápagos tortoise ok but what under-specie? EmptyFri Nov 05, 2021 10:12 pm

Hello,

I have this Galapagos turtle from papo, it's the repainted version from 2020 that was shamefully sold under "Hermann's turtle" (I read the polemic on the forums).

So it is the repaint of an old version of 2003 but what is the exact species of this one? It is one of the 10 subspecies of the complex Chelonoidis nigra. Maybe more precise or not?
The patterns on the underside of the carapace do not seem to belong to any species?

What would you classify it as?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Galápagos tortoise ok but what under-specie?   Galápagos tortoise ok but what under-specie? EmptyFri Nov 05, 2021 10:36 pm

It's not got any hint of the saddle-shape raised front edge, so personally I'd go with the subspecies which is the most dome-shaped of all, quick check says that's the Western Santa Cruz (porteri)

(Chart with islands here, clearer photos here)

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Galápagos tortoise ok but what under-specie?   Galápagos tortoise ok but what under-specie? EmptySat Nov 06, 2021 7:28 am

It is a "generic" Giant tortoise for me, it could even be an Aldabra giant tortoise.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Galápagos tortoise ok but what under-specie?   Galápagos tortoise ok but what under-specie? EmptySat Nov 06, 2021 10:35 pm

It is a GalaPapo tortoise. I honestly cannot identify the giant tortoises, they look all the same to me and sometimes they even look like other not giant tortoises. I think Papo made it generic and maybe CollectA's model is the only one we can determine with precision because the brand made it after a certain specimen.

Country/State : FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Galápagos tortoise ok but what under-specie?   Galápagos tortoise ok but what under-specie? EmptySun Nov 07, 2021 1:41 am

Thanks a lot ! I asked the question because in some reviews (animal toy blog for exemple) they succeeded in identifying the Schleich galapagos turtle of 2020 as a subspecies.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Galápagos tortoise ok but what under-specie?   Galápagos tortoise ok but what under-specie? EmptySun Nov 07, 2021 7:35 am

Rogério is right of course, my mistake, it is a Galapagos and not an Aldabra tortoise, I forgot the lack of nuchal scute. Embarassed

ATB's Schleich tortoise identification as a Darwin Volcano tortoise is a good option but only a guess. With its domed carapace it could also be Alcedo Volcano giant tortoise or a Western Santa Cruz tortoise.

It is the same for this Papo model.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Galápagos tortoise ok but what under-specie?   Galápagos tortoise ok but what under-specie? Empty

Back to top Go down

Galápagos tortoise ok but what under-specie?
Page 1 of 1