Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Face to face: CollectA king cheetah versus Schleich 2016 cheetah

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

Face to face: CollectA king cheetah versus Schleich 2016 cheetah Empty
PostSubject: Face to face: CollectA king cheetah versus Schleich 2016 cheetah   Face to face: CollectA king cheetah versus Schleich 2016 cheetah EmptyMon Sep 21, 2020 10:13 am

It was only recently that I decided to add the CollectA king cheetah to my collection.
Let's face it against the Schleich cheetah from 2016.

CollectA model was released in 2013, during what I call the 2nd wave of CollectA models when the brand wanted often to show something alternative to the market.
Cheetah was not an exception to that rule and the company presented us with a king cheetah. It is important to mention that king cheetahs are not a different species or subspecies of Acinonyx jubatus but just a rare color mutation of a cheetah.

Schleich model was released in 2016,  we can tell it is a 3rd generation cheetah and again a female. The first rendition was made in 1998, while the 2nd generation was launched in 2010. There's a Bayala figure also.

Starting with their faces, we notice immediately the different way the eyes are designed, hard to see with my flashy pictures but Schleich's interpretation is more appealing in my opinion.
However, Schleich's model has the lacrimal strips too wide appart and the nose is also too distant from the "sad" mouth. This combination gives a dog face to the model. CollectA is more accurate in this regard.
Another important difference are the ears. Schleich's model have them short and round as we see often on cheetahs while CollectA's model has relatively long and narrow ears. I can see on pictures they're not static but this shape of ears on CollectA's model does not seems too convincent for a cheetah.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Their poses are interesting. Especially the Schleich model that shows a dynamic pose from all angles. Clearly in contrast with the previous two generations that were in a boring standing pose with the head turned. The animal looks allert while moving with the tail up showing some tension.
On the other hand, CollectA's model is walking with the mouth slightly open what is a great detail. Once cheetahs do not roar, it is rare to see a cheetah figure with open mouth. Though, this one is not supposed to be roaring as it is obvious.

King cheetahs are identified for having large blotchy spots and three dark strips extending from the neck to the base of the tail.
It is easy to see that CollectA respected these features. It is important to point that it is much easier to mass produce the painting of a regularly patterned cheetah than a king cheetah. So, that's another bonus to the CollectA model.
We can also notice their manes. As you know, cheetahs are born with very long manes in their backs. That's the reason why kits look so much different from their parents. Though, they reduce gradually with their age.
We can tell them that the CollectA figure may represent a younger animal once Schleich's figure shows a much less prominent mane. However, the 4th picture will tell us that other feature should be considered before. Wink

Watching their ventral parts, we see their are whitish and unspotted. Perfectly correct for cheetahs.
Interesting is to notice that the CollectA model has its genitals represented and yes, it is a male! So, male cheetahs have more conspicuous manes than females and it explains the good option of CollectA representing it in that way.
Both models have pawpads painted and the semi-retractable claws (exclusive among felines)  represented.

I really recomend both models. I will give the cake to the Schleich cheetah, it is a particularly exciting model in my opinion though, CollectA's figure deserves also our atention and it is a king cheetah, good to recall.
Not a trophy, here a comparison picture of the Schleich cheetah with the CollectA Dama gazelle. I don't have a Thomson's gazelle with me at the moment, I am afraid Dama's are not so prepared to escape from the fastest animal on land. affraid

As the king cheetah seems less common among collectors, here is an extra picture with the current CollectA leopard.

A little off topic but some natives thought king cheetahs were a cross between a leopard and a hyena.
When I see this model from this angle on picture below. I think how cool could be a CollectA spotted hyena in that same style.

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Face to face: CollectA king cheetah versus Schleich 2016 cheetah   Face to face: CollectA king cheetah versus Schleich 2016 cheetah EmptyMon Sep 21, 2020 4:15 pm

Great topic Roger, I really enjoyed reading it. I have the Schleich one and as far as I know it'll be the last cheetah in my collection. I considered getting the CollectA model, but I just don't need it and I am not the biggest fan of it either

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Face to face: CollectA king cheetah versus Schleich 2016 cheetah   Face to face: CollectA king cheetah versus Schleich 2016 cheetah EmptyTue Sep 22, 2020 2:05 am

Advicot wrote:
Great topic Roger, I really enjoyed reading it. I have the Schleich one and as far as I know it'll be the last cheetah in my collection. I considered getting the CollectA model, but I just don't need it and I am not the biggest fan of it either

Thanks for your support, Adam! I am glad you enjoyed reading this novel. Wink Besides these, I have a Papo cheetah, another Papo repainted as a king cheetah, Mojö male, Bayala and eventually any other model I am not remembering. I am sure I will get more cheetahs. I suspect Safari will release a new cheetah soon and if it is as good as the clouded leopard, I will surely track it.

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Face to face: CollectA king cheetah versus Schleich 2016 cheetah   Face to face: CollectA king cheetah versus Schleich 2016 cheetah EmptyTue Sep 22, 2020 11:52 am

Very Happy Thank you Rogério for this very interesting comparison revealing many details I haven't noticed! I have both of them and this one from Schleich and the first version of Papo (female 50 020) are the ones I prefer.

I alway have been fascinated by cheetas since my far childhood when I (hardly!) discovered them in their hugue wooded enclosure of Lunaret zoo of Monpellier which was the first in the world to succeed sheetas reproductionb in captivity! later, when I was a student in the same town, I used to run or study around their enclosure in hope to admire them! :)
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Face to face: CollectA king cheetah versus Schleich 2016 cheetah   Face to face: CollectA king cheetah versus Schleich 2016 cheetah EmptyWed Sep 23, 2020 2:14 am

Caracal wrote:
Very Happy Thank you Rogério for this very interesting comparison revealing many details I haven't noticed! I have both of them and this one from Schleich and the first version of Papo (female 50 020) are the ones I prefer.

I alway have been fascinated by cheetas since my far childhood when I (hardly!) discovered them in their hugue wooded enclosure of Lunaret zoo of Monpellier which was the first in the world to succeed sheetas reproductionb in captivity! later, when I was a student in the same town, I used to run or study around their enclosure in hope to admire them! :)

You're welcome, Alain! We both share a kind of visceral collecting connection with the Papo 50020 cheetah. The figure is still very good and it is posed in a way that it looks it is in its real habitat. A poetic model. It is also interesting to know about your childhood affection with these wonderful animals.
By the way, I've found this picture showing the differences of the cheetahs patterns from an interesting angle.

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Face to face: CollectA king cheetah versus Schleich 2016 cheetah   Face to face: CollectA king cheetah versus Schleich 2016 cheetah EmptyWed Sep 23, 2020 10:25 am

Thank you for this very useful picture. I never saw real king cheeta. I just know, as you wrote, it's a simple color mutation which occurs from time to time among some south African populations, but seeing this picture, I understand that so large black stripes can not be an advantage in dry savanah because they are far too visible although this kind of mutation (which can be encountered among domestic cats called "marbled") has been selected (and meliorated) among some forest dwellers cats like ocelot or marbled cat.. :)
Back to top Go down
costicuba

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: Face to face: CollectA king cheetah versus Schleich 2016 cheetah   Face to face: CollectA king cheetah versus Schleich 2016 cheetah EmptyTue Sep 29, 2020 4:26 am

Wonderful '' face to face'' !!! cheers
It was a good choice to add the CollectA king cheetah in your collection. And I also like very much the Schleich cheetah.
I agree with everything you pointed for both models Roger.
Thank you very much for this interesting topic and I am very glad to see that you are making new topics
more oftenly for us cheers

PostSubject: Re: Face to face: CollectA king cheetah versus Schleich 2016 cheetah   Face to face: CollectA king cheetah versus Schleich 2016 cheetah Empty

Back to top Go down

Face to face: CollectA king cheetah versus Schleich 2016 cheetah
Page 1 of 1