Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Schleich seal as grey seal?

Go down 
+3
Megaptera
widukind
Pepi
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Pepi
Banned
Pepi

Country/State : Madrid

Schleich seal as grey seal? Empty
PostSubject: Schleich seal as grey seal?   Schleich seal as grey seal? EmptyTue Sep 29, 2020 10:34 am

Dear collectors,
I have recently started to catalogue my collection and have arrived to the old retired Schleich seal (14702). I wanted to know if, in your wise opinion, it could be used as grey seal, so that I can use the more recent (14801) as harbour seal.
I have been looking to photographs, and I think that maybe the snout is not correct, since the real animal have a more "dog" style... but I'm not sure.
What do you think?

This is the model I'm talking about.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Schleich seal as grey seal?   Schleich seal as grey seal? EmptyTue Sep 29, 2020 12:54 pm

It is a harbor seal i think

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Schleich seal as grey seal?   Schleich seal as grey seal? EmptyTue Sep 29, 2020 2:00 pm

Yes, it's designed to be the Eurasian Harbour Seal, which can also be found in Germany.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Schleich seal as grey seal?   Schleich seal as grey seal? EmptyTue Sep 29, 2020 4:05 pm

You are right, the grey seal has a more dog-like face.
Even if this one is exaggerted cute, the harbour seals have a sweeter look, I think Very Happy

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Schleich seal as grey seal?   Schleich seal as grey seal? EmptyTue Sep 29, 2020 4:58 pm

Let me tell you that this figure already had some debat in the past and that was my fault. I decided to list it as a grey seal because it has a lanugo as a pup. These white seals pups do not ocur with harbour seals bso...
Though, this figure was described by the brand as (Phoca vitulina) and it is actually a harbour seal. That picture is enough to see it. Notice the concave head profile of this seal completely different from the straight head profile of a grey seal. Another way is watching the nostrils that are V shaped on harbour seals while they are paralel on grey seals. If you want a grey seal, use the Mojö Fun grey seal it works nicely with the Schleich models.

Banned
Pepi

Country/State : Madrid

PostSubject: Re: Schleich seal as grey seal?   Schleich seal as grey seal? EmptyTue Sep 29, 2020 5:30 pm

Thank you all! Honestly :)
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Schleich seal as grey seal?   Schleich seal as grey seal? EmptyTue Sep 29, 2020 7:25 pm

I have it in my collection as a harbor seal, too.

EDIT: mine is the 2018 model, actually
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Schleich seal as grey seal?   Schleich seal as grey seal? EmptyWed Sep 30, 2020 1:54 am

This topic already has been discussed before. Somebody have the link to the previous one? I'm lazy for search it haha Razz
Maybe is a good idea to merge both.

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Schleich seal as grey seal?   Schleich seal as grey seal? EmptyWed Sep 30, 2020 3:18 pm

Pardofelis wrote:
This topic already has been discussed before. Somebody have the link to the previous one? I'm lazy for search it haha Razz
Maybe is a good idea to merge both.

I think there isn't a topic about this subject but we already discussed it in several other topics, namely the thread about Benjamin's additions. We all now agree, it is a harbour seal with a pup wrongly painted in white color. It is more correct than when I listed it as a grey seal just because of the pup color.

PostSubject: Re: Schleich seal as grey seal?   Schleich seal as grey seal? Empty

Back to top Go down

Schleich seal as grey seal?
Page 1 of 1