Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'?

Go down 
+5
Numa
SUSANNE
bmathison1972
NightLioness
Bonnie
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'? Empty
PostSubject: What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'?   What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'? EmptyMon Dec 28, 2020 7:07 pm

I've noticed that there are a few 'Special' Kaiyodo dogs, as well as 'Secret Models'- such as the Marusan white shiba inu, and I would be very grateful if anyone could tell me what this means? Very Happy Does it mean that when buying let's say the marusan dogs, only some packs would come with the white shiba inu in it, and you were lucky if you got this figure? It would be amazing if anyone could help! sunny
And so sorry if this topic is in the wrong place, please feel free to move it if it is!
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
NightLioness
NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

PostSubject: Re: What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'?   What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'? EmptyMon Dec 28, 2020 7:22 pm

Kaiyodo makes capsule toys. Gasha Gasha or Gashapon machines are very popular in Japan. These machines dispose a plastic ball when paid a few hundred yen. You don't know what you get! Very Happy The series is pictured on the machine. Those mystery figures are pictured as a black figure, you don't know what it is unless you get it. These mystery figures are harder to get, one on (insert number) change to get one.

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'?   What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'? EmptyMon Dec 28, 2020 7:26 pm

Thank you so much Karin this is so helpful! Very Happy And explains why these are harder to find! Very Happy
Does anyone know if this is the same for the Marusan secret Shiba Inu? bounce
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'?   What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'? EmptyMon Dec 28, 2020 7:28 pm

NightLioness wrote:
Kaiyodo makes capsule toys. Gasha Gasha or Gashapon machines are very popular in Japan. These machines dispose a plastic ball when paid a few hundred yen. You don't know what you get! Very Happy The series is pictured on the machine. Those mystery figures are pictured as a black figure, you don't know what it is unless you get it. These mystery figures are harder to get, one on (insert number) change to get one.

I agree. They were usually a figure not advertised in the main set and you didn't what it was until you got it and opened it.

Subarudo once did something interesting for a set of large beetles. Each regular figure had one 'piece' of the secret/special figure, and you had to get all the standard figures to assemble the special figure.

Nowadays you hear the term 'chase' figure also. That usually refers to figures that we know what it is, but just made in smaller quantities, so they are harder to get and may be more expensive from dealers.
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'?   What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'? EmptyMon Dec 28, 2020 7:29 pm

That's very interesting too Blaine, especially about that beetle series! Shocked Very Happy Thank you! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'?   What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'? EmptyMon Dec 28, 2020 9:34 pm

Good question, and good ansvers cheers

Numa
Numa

Country/State : England, UK

PostSubject: Re: What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'?   What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'? EmptySat Jan 02, 2021 12:32 am

NightLioness wrote:

What I never understood is that in Japan you can stand at a machine and end up buying blind - so how can anyone there ever complete a full series if there is a chance you end up with multiples of the same figure? At least online sites let you pick and select which model to buy but in Japan where these vending machines are it is just pot luck so can be very frustrating for a collector who wants a specific model(s) no?

On a separate note I would love to know about the history of Gashapon toys, how they came about, who buys them etc. Would be interesting to have some background information on this.
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'?   What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'? EmptySat Jan 02, 2021 4:29 am

Except that gashapon are aimed at teenage/adult collectors instead of children, I'd imagine it's not so very different from Yowies and the various blind bag figures sold here in the West. I'd agree that they are very frustrating! It tends to discourage me rather from buying.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'?   What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'? EmptySat Jan 02, 2021 10:09 am

I guess the Japanese are collecting gashapon in the same way we collected Panini cards in my youth, buying blind packs and trading them with friends.
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'?   What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'? EmptySat Jan 02, 2021 12:03 pm

Yes I can see how it would get very frustrating- but at least you would have the advantage of getting the figure new, and then for those that you miss like Christophe said, trading and selling to complete your collection! Very Happy
And I'd also love to know the history of Gashapon toys! study Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Numa
Numa

Country/State : England, UK

PostSubject: Re: What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'?   What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'? EmptySat Jan 02, 2021 12:26 pm

Bonnie wrote:
Yes I can see how it would get very frustrating- but at least you would have the advantage of getting the figure new, and then for those that you miss like Christophe said, trading and selling to complete your collection! Very Happy

Indeed but whilst the average person in Japan would go to a vending machine to buy a figure, there are loads of sites online where they sell them and you can buy specific models so I suppose I answered my own question in a way...

However, great point. A history into Gashapon toys, and how they came about etc would be fascinating! The Japanese culture and their way of doing things is generally extremely interesting and fascinating. I love it and would love to know more.

Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'?   What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'? EmptySat Jan 02, 2021 12:47 pm

Numaan wrote:
Bonnie wrote:

Indeed but whilst the average person in Japan would go to a vending machine to buy a figure, there are loads of sites online where they sell them and you can buy specific models so I suppose I answered my own question in a way...

However, great point.  A history into Gashapon toys, and how they came about etc would be fascinating!  The Japanese culture and their way of doing things is generally extremely interesting and fascinating.  I love it and would love to know more.

Yes definitely! The most I know about it is that the word 'Gashapon' refers to some sound they make- but I can't quite remember what! scratch Very Happy
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

PostSubject: Re: What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'?   What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'? EmptySun Jan 03, 2021 2:35 am

I read that 'gashapon' is onomatopoeia. It's true when you think of the sound a vending machine makes, when you put the coin in, turn the handle, and a capsule drops.

A history of the collectible gashapon figure would be fascinating reading!
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'?   What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'? EmptySun Jan 03, 2021 11:15 am

pipsxlch wrote:
I read that 'gashapon' is onomatopoeia. It's true when you think of the sound a vending machine makes, when you put the coin in, turn the handle, and a capsule drops.

A history of the collectible gashapon figure would be fascinating reading!
Wow yes it's a very fun and original name! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'?   What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'? EmptySun Jan 03, 2021 11:38 am

That's right. Turning the handle sounds like "gasha" and when the capsule drops you hear "pon". I don't know about the history of gashapon figures, but the first Kaiyodo animal figures were sold in chocolate eggs. Other Japanese companies also sold their animal figures with confectionary, for example, Bandai sold them with small cakes. I think selling them in gashapon machines came later. I took a photo of these machines when I was in Tokyo a while ago: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by rogerpgvg on Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'?   What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'? EmptySun Jan 03, 2021 11:45 am

How interesting- and your visit looks amazing! Shocked Very Happy
All those figures, and it's really interesting to see how all the machines line up! And all those Miniature Planet figures- it's a shame because the UK equivalent here would never have such high quality animal figures in vending machines. I would love to visit Japan- how wonderful that you had the chance to go! cheers
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'?   What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'? EmptySun Jan 03, 2021 12:26 pm

It looks like a great trip Shocked Applause cheers and I'd love to visit, however there are many large cities, which puts me off as I have quite severe Agoraphobia (fear of crowded spaces) It comes about whenever I visit busy towns and cities, and it didn't help when I visited London for the first time Rolling Eyes however I did visit the Natural History museum and get some Papo figures

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

PostSubject: Re: What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'?   What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'? EmptyMon Jan 04, 2021 1:48 am

Hmm. Wonder if they're a knockoff of Kinder Surpise then, at least at the beginning? Wonder which came first?

Here in the US (where sadly there were no Kinder Surprise), the vending machines in front of the grocery stores sometimes sell small figures in capsules. I remember getting them long ago when I was small, and still sometimes see figures. They're almost always little toob sized cheapy poorly made looking things. One of the more recent offerings, Hood Hounds, is an exception. Maybe they represent an attempt to move in a gashapon sort of direction, attracting slightly older collectors instead of just little kids?
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'?   What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'? EmptyMon Jan 04, 2021 7:49 am

Kinder surprise is older than the first Kaiyodo Furuta animal series
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'?   What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'? EmptyMon Jan 04, 2021 10:54 am

Oh so maybe Kinder Surprise were an inspiration... scratch
And Hood Hounds! cheers I've seen some of these and they're actually quite good, let's hope for more like these- it would be amazing to have Japanese quality animal figures in vending machines! Very Happy
Here in the UK as far as dogs go, A&A have produced a few series of dogs, small plastic ones, and I actually quite like the detail on some of them- they seems very Japanese inspired. The brand 'Cool Things' also produced some dogs, before a switch to very small, flocked dogs which were also quite good. Currently in my local vending machine they've sadly stopped doing dogs- and have released a zoo series instead! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

PostSubject: Re: What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'?   What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'? EmptyMon Jan 04, 2021 12:32 pm

Which animals are in this Zoo series? I may be interested in some of them depending on quality of course Very Happy

Imagine, having the Japanese figures come over to the US or Europe drunken I wouldn't know what to do with myself Laughing Shocked

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'?   What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'? EmptyMon Jan 04, 2021 12:46 pm

I'm so sorry- I can't quite remember exactly what they looked like, but they are small enough to fit in a tin and I think flocked scratch But I'll take a photo next time I go! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

PostSubject: Re: What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'?   What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'? EmptyMon Jan 04, 2021 12:56 pm

Thank you, if they are flocked I won't be interested as I only have one flocked model and I am not a huge fan of them

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'?   What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'? Empty

Back to top Go down

What is Meant by a 'Secret' or 'Special Figure'?
Page 1 of 1