Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A Gray Wolf for Roger

Go down 
+5
Bonnie
Kikimalou
costicuba
RtasVadumee
Saarlooswolfhound
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

3 - A Gray Wolf for Roger Empty
PostSubject: A Gray Wolf for Roger   3 - A Gray Wolf for Roger EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 6:15 am

All I need is an excuse to open a gray wolf comparison topic. :) Our great friend Roger asked for some advice and thoughts on a new gray wolf model, he is considering adding a new one to his shelves. I thought maybe it would be educational to ask everyone what their tastes are? I have small HO scale wolves, to the giant Papo monster, so surely I have some options amongst the typical collecting scale models... here goes!

Pictured are the models from all brands over the last few years I considered good. Papo walking, previous generation bullyland walking, mojo fun walking and standing pair, new safari, previous generation safari howling, and a few generations of the ever present Schleich.
All together
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The larger end of the scale

Medium approximate sizes

Howlers and growlers (someone doesn't appreciate the music)

Family portrait

3 schleich musketeers

And a duet

My first pick of the bunch is the new Safari. For me, it has the best proportions and paint scheme, certain details that are missing from others. My second would have to the Schleich [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] as to me its just a classic. This model's proportions are excellent as well, though it's coat while technically realistic it isn't a typical color. Pick [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] would be the papo walking female paired with it's pup, they make a nice match and both are nicely detailed especially in the face. The rest of course I love anyway being a  wild canid enthusiast but each has some flaw or quirk to it. 

So I am curious, which of these (or suggest your own) is your favorite? And picking models is a very personal thing for a collector, but I hope we can provide some discussion here to help our friend find a great new collection piece.  Very Happy

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: A Gray Wolf for Roger   3 - A Gray Wolf for Roger EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 7:02 am

Among those that I own, my favourite is the howling Schleich but from what I see on your pic, the prettiest is the walking Mojo I had curiously never seen before.

Safari 24
Yujin 15
Southlands 12
Mojo 14
Maia&Borges 5
Bullyland 1
Recur 1
Homemade 3
Bootleg 1
Total 582
Back to top Go down
costicuba

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: A Gray Wolf for Roger   3 - A Gray Wolf for Roger EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 7:02 am

Wonderful topic Paige ! Well done ! Applause

From these, I really love Papo, the walking one.
Although, still not perfect ( I don`t think any of these is perfect ) , it has the tipical Papo style and I love it also, because it is my first wolf model.
I also like the Schleich newest one - the growler.
And also the Safari newest one, although I think the paint job should be done better.

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: A Gray Wolf for Roger   3 - A Gray Wolf for Roger EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 7:07 am

Thank you for this very nice and useful comparison topic. Very Happy

I had most of the wolves you are showing here but your pics gave me a big surprise: The new Safari ltd gray wolf looks very good, it is now my favorite of the pack !

Nowadays, there is only three gray wolves on my shelves: The Kaiyodo Hokkaido wolf, the Colorata "Wild dogs and bears" Gray wolf and the 1/6 knock-off wolf ( My only knock-off Embarassed and I still have no pics Embarassed )

Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: A Gray Wolf for Roger   3 - A Gray Wolf for Roger EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 1:30 pm

What a wonderful topic and who better to open it than you! cheers cheers
So many wolves! drunken It's so hard to pick, but I do love the detail on the Papo wolves, and I love the older Schleich models! Very Happy
But all of them are gorgeous- these comparison picks are so helpful, thank you so much for sharing them! sunny
And good luck to Roger on his wolf hunt! cheers
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: A Gray Wolf for Roger   3 - A Gray Wolf for Roger EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 1:36 pm

idem! :)
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: A Gray Wolf for Roger   3 - A Gray Wolf for Roger EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 4:19 pm

Thank you everyone! 

The mojo models are yhe first paint scheme, they have since been replaced by a darker coat. If i have time later I will post comparisons of those as well. 

The newest growling schleich has a great paint scheme as well, natural shading etc. but the model is very small compared to the others, I would have preferred a few clicks bigger.

There are many Japanese models that are truly splendid! Unfortunately I only have a few. Definitely need more for my shelves. Wink

Thanks again everybody!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: A Gray Wolf for Roger   3 - A Gray Wolf for Roger EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 7:05 pm

Here are some more comparisons (mostly of models that aren't such great representatives)

First off the Mojo comparison I promised. 
The darker coloration is the more recent version.

The angry ones. The newest Schleich is actually good, the older one could have been good but the texturing and paint job got in the way. The CollectA is really just... not great in my opinion.

Mostly howlers. The newest bullylands were just awful overall. Their legs especially are comic type of style. The howling papo I think its face lets it down. It also tucks in at its waist and that's something that an underweight animal exhibits so it bothers me. The CollectA is fine, the paintjob mostly is what's not great.

These two, the old safari and battat, aren't unrealistic, just atypical. More representative of a coyote than a wolf in shape.

And last but not least, two old Schleich, a papo, and a wild republic. The old schleich I really like. Too short in the leg perhaps but the face is spot on in sculpt. My older black and white has most of its paint rubbed off because it was ALWAYS present when I played with my figures. The papo is another comic style from my perspective, just an odd posture and long right hind leg. The Wild Republic model has a looong neck and small face. As a member commented before, perhaps it was intended to be a howling model at first and then changed?

Any thoughts friends?

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: A Gray Wolf for Roger   3 - A Gray Wolf for Roger EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 7:40 pm

What a WONDERFUL topic cheers Applause Applause

Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: A Gray Wolf for Roger   3 - A Gray Wolf for Roger EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 8:10 pm

Thank you for these useful pictures! Very Happy

The last angry Shleich version is good but its muzzle looks a little short to me and I prefer the head of the previous angry version in spite or its strange fur rendition that I will maybe modificate..

The 2 last Bully versions are rather toony but they have something in their attitude that makes them very "wolfy" and I got them!

The old Safari version played, during a long time, the rule of a coyote in my collection in spite or its too short muzzle..

I have these 3 old Papo but in polar coat, and they fit well with my old Bullyland range! :)
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: A Gray Wolf for Roger   3 - A Gray Wolf for Roger EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 10:52 pm

First I want to thank you a lot for this magnificent topic. Much nicer than what I could expect.
I have time to take a decision but I would love to continue reading opinions from everyone. I also want to thank all friend's opinions.
I have the Mojo Fun and Papo walking as well as a few others. I see the Papo walking remains very popular, I think it is also my first wolf but I want to get one that makes me feel I am giving a step forward. Maybe the new Safari is the best candidat. Figure looks nice but somewhat boring. I don't know it is the pose, the painting as Kosta pointed or both. I also still like a lot the old Safari and the new Schleich angry boy looks nice although more doggy than wolfy to me. I really dislike some models as the previous angry Schleich or CollectA so these are out of the battle for me.
Kiki's Japanese models are beautiful but not what I am searching for.
I will be back on this thread, thanks to all! cheers

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: A Gray Wolf for Roger   3 - A Gray Wolf for Roger EmptyThu Jan 21, 2021 11:00 am

More wolves- fantastic models! cheers cheers cheers
So interesting to see, and I love seeing how all the different brands compare!
And your wolf collection is amazing! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: A Gray Wolf for Roger   3 - A Gray Wolf for Roger EmptyThu Jan 21, 2021 6:10 pm

Its great to read about all the different tastes for this species. :)

Back to top Go down
spacelab

spacelab

Country/State : Greece

PostSubject: Re: A Gray Wolf for Roger   3 - A Gray Wolf for Roger EmptyThu Jan 21, 2021 6:56 pm

Great topic and amazing helpful photos as always. The "which wolf" thing was my nightmare for a long time.
I was about to buy the new Safari to replace the classic old 14249 Schleich. But after seeing many photos and videos, I decided not to. Mostly because the new Safari, although it looks pretty and accurate, reminds me of a wolf I would do hugs and cuddling on my sofa... So I decided to stay with the schleich and look for a howling wolf instead.
Another nightmare began, but I ended up with the howling Safari that won Collecta and Schleich after two extra times and penalties.
I'm happy with my choice. :)
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: A Gray Wolf for Roger   3 - A Gray Wolf for Roger EmptyThu Jan 21, 2021 7:28 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
What a WONDERFUL topic cheers Applause Applause

It is exactly the STS philosophy I like the most and STS is the right place to make such things sunny
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Gray Wolf for Roger   3 - A Gray Wolf for Roger Empty

Back to top Go down

A Gray Wolf for Roger
Page 1 of 1