Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Homemade Owston's palm civet

Go down 
+6
Kikimalou
Bonnie
lucky luke
Roger
SUSANNE
Pardofelis
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

Homemade Owston's palm civet Empty
PostSubject: Homemade Owston's palm civet   Homemade Owston's palm civet EmptyWed Jan 27, 2021 12:54 am

Dear STS forum,
Trying to make some new models for my collection, the next one in my to do list is the Owston's palm civet (Chrotogale owstoni).
I did it, but the result was fully unsatisfactory. Proportions are off. The tail is too small and the head is too big. And maybe the muzzle is too long, too.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Besides that, I made too big for my tastes. Here compared with Nayab genet. I think genets should be noticeably larger than Owston's palm civets, it's right? I already had to pull out the Giant ibis from my collection because it was too giant... I know I'm much more strict than others regarding both size and accurateness, but I prefair to avoid "ugly ducklings" in my collection...

I want advice about what I should do now:

a) Paint it and keep into my collection as a weird-shaped and oversized Owston's palm civet.
b) Keep unpainted and sell/trade it to a collector that want it, and then try again from zero.
c) Paint it and sell/trade it (for higher price) to a collector that want it, and then try again from zero.
d) Make a bigger tail over the preexistent one (but then the figure will be even much more oversized) so only the head remains oversized, paint it and keep it.
e) Cut the tail and the head, make new ones with more accurate proportions, paint it and keep it.
f) Add a more tapered tail, more thickness to the neck, and customize into a Mountain coati (even if the eyes are too large for a coati). But mountain coatis excite me less than Owston's palm civets.

Any other suggestion is also welcome!

Total: 307

Last edited by Pardofelis on Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Owston's palm civet   Homemade Owston's palm civet EmptyWed Jan 27, 2021 1:48 am

Ihh, but it is ever so cute drunken

I am sure when you apply your magic hand to painting it, it will be a gorgeous Very Happy

The Chrotogale owstoni really looks very strange, but has a fantastic, beautyful fur, so do not give up !!!
I can not wait to see the result Wink

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Owston's palm civet   Homemade Owston's palm civet EmptyWed Jan 27, 2021 2:00 am

First, I don't think it is too big. Actually, Owston palm civets are slightly larger than common genets and surely longer. However, I agree about the proportions. Head is long but not that long, the same for all other observations. These richly patterned animals are really hard to get correctly. Their pattern causes a kind of illusion. My suggestion is that you make the back of the animal more massive and longer. Considering the pose, the highest part of the body should be over the back legs, just after the identation to the tail. If you do it with the back arching gently from the neck to the highest part over the back legs, the body will be longer and immediately it will turn the head proportionally smaller even if you don't change the head. I think the tail should be around 80% of the length of head+body, a very long tail. You will need a longer and probably more robuste tail, if you make it curved to one of the sides, like as in an otter, it will reduce the impression that the figure is oversized. Be sure the identation of the tail is not that abrupt to turn the model more fluid and graceful. I think if these suggestions work, you only need to change the posterior part of the model, I know the most difficult is to fix the head. After painted, the animal will look more proportional once the pattern is quite distracting. Oh, I surely love your species choice.

lucky luke

Country/State : FRANCE Saint-Louis

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Owston's palm civet   Homemade Owston's palm civet EmptyWed Jan 27, 2021 2:15 am

Congratulations Very Happy Applause cheers
for me it has good proportions, I can't wait to see it after a painting session bouncesunny
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Owston's palm civet   Homemade Owston's palm civet EmptyWed Jan 27, 2021 3:10 am

I think that it is wonderful! cheers cheers
Such a good species choice, and looking at photos you've got it just right! cheers I think you should paint it and then see- I'm sure that it will be beautiful afterwards! Very Happy And looking at the Nayab Genet, which I have, it must be a tiny model, which means that it is even more tricky to get it right and so I think that it has been very successful! Very Happy For something so small, there is so much detail and I love its head!drunken
I am excited to see the finished result! bounce
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Owston's palm civet   Homemade Owston's palm civet EmptyWed Jan 27, 2021 3:16 am

Thanks everybody and especially Roger, as these advices are extremely helpful!! Very Happy First I tought that these civets were much smaller, meerkat-sized so its very good to know that it can be put aside to the genet and my other small carnivores without looking out of place. The trick of make the hind back arch higher must ve very effective, and even if the snout will continue being too elongated, a higher hind quarters and a new, larger and curved tail will make a better figure without need of cut off parts already sculpted! See, the air drying paste have advantages such as adding parts to already finished figures, but also disadvangages such as being unable to modify sustantially the shape of a figure before finishing without damage other parts of the figure. But you managed to think great solutions to this inconvenience! Muito obrigado! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Owston's palm civet   Homemade Owston's palm civet EmptyWed Jan 27, 2021 6:02 am

I agree with Rogério, you don't have to worried too much about your model.

Owston's palm civet: Head and body length between 56 and 72cm, tail between 35 to 47cm.

Common genet: Head and body length between 46 and 52cm, tail between 42 to 51cm.

Giant forest genet: Head and body length between 55 and 60cm, tail between 41 to 49cm.

In both case your civet could be even bigger. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Owston's palm civet   Homemade Owston's palm civet EmptyWed Jan 27, 2021 6:44 am

my advice: e (sorry indeed :)
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Owston's palm civet   Homemade Owston's palm civet EmptyWed Jan 27, 2021 7:02 am

A interesting species again

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Owston's palm civet   Homemade Owston's palm civet EmptyWed Jan 27, 2021 7:40 am

Pardofelis wrote:
Thanks everybody and especially Roger, as these advices are extremely helpful!! Very Happy First I tought that these civets were much smaller, meerkat-sized so its very good to know that it can be put aside to the genet and my other small carnivores without looking out of place. The trick of make the hind back arch higher must ve very effective, and even if the snout will continue being too elongated, a higher hind quarters and a new, larger and curved tail will make a better figure without need of cut off parts already sculpted! See, the air drying paste have advantages such as adding parts to already finished figures, but also disadvangages such as being unable to modify sustantially the shape of a figure before finishing without damage other parts of the figure. But you managed to think great solutions to this inconvenience! Muito obrigado! Very Happy

De nada! It works in both languages. Laughing I am glad my comment is useful. It is always not easy for me once I never sculpted and my English is limited but I am surely excited to see the result. bounce bounce

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Owston's palm civet   Homemade Owston's palm civet EmptyWed Jan 27, 2021 8:14 am

Thanks, you all are so lovely people! :) I finished the model, and I think Rogério saved what was a ruined figure Very Happy

It's still far from perfect, but is enough for me. Scultping fur texture with WePam is more difficult than with SuperSculpey, as it's harder to see and dries quickly. So the texture in this model is worst than in my models made with baking paste.

And with a sympatric vietnamese neighbour:

Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Owston's palm civet   Homemade Owston's palm civet EmptyWed Jan 27, 2021 9:42 am

And it turned out amazingly! cheers cheers
What a beauty, with all the characteristics of the species! drunken
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Owston's palm civet   Homemade Owston's palm civet EmptyWed Jan 27, 2021 9:55 am

I really feel honoured that you considered my suggestions in such an accurate way, I feel like you have seen what I designed in my mind while writing my suggestions! Do you have telepathy power? Shocked It is actually a strange feeling. affraid The texture is not a big problem when the pattern is so flamboyant. Obviously it was you who saved the model, not me. It is much better now and it is even more attractive in terms of design. I have however one more little suggestion. What about removing the word failure from the title of this topic and replace it by the name of the animal? Wink

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Owston's palm civet   Homemade Owston's palm civet EmptyWed Jan 27, 2021 10:28 am

Hahaha is not telepathy, just you wrote it step by step in a very easy to follow way, and while I tought in enlarge the tail I never would tough in elevate the hind quarters so you're the heroe that saved the poor civet Very Happy

OK, since it's not anymore a failure, I will edit the title! :)

Thanks a lot Roger and Bonnie sunny

Back to top Go down
costicuba

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Owston's palm civet   Homemade Owston's palm civet EmptyWed Jan 27, 2021 6:13 pm

Good job on this model Pardo ! Applause
Both sculpting and painting.
It looks nice and I like the pose too.

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Owston's palm civet   Homemade Owston's palm civet EmptyWed Jan 27, 2021 8:27 pm

Very nice

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
lucky luke

lucky luke

Country/State : FRANCE Saint-Louis

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Owston's palm civet   Homemade Owston's palm civet EmptyThu Jan 28, 2021 8:26 pm

Good job on this Pardofelis model and very nice species Very Happy Applause cheers Cool
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Owston's palm civet   Homemade Owston's palm civet EmptyThu Jan 28, 2021 10:15 pm

Lovely work, congratulations! cheers

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Owston's palm civet   Homemade Owston's palm civet EmptyFri Jan 29, 2021 2:55 am

Very Happy Great improvement on a very interesting species! cheers
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Owston's palm civet   Homemade Owston's palm civet EmptyFri Jan 29, 2021 3:02 am

Very nice, I was sure you would succeed Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Owston's palm civet   Homemade Owston's palm civet Empty

Back to top Go down

Homemade Owston's palm civet
Page 1 of 1